Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Android Blues posted:

X-Men Gold's serial killer brutally executing a bunch of teenage students in the X-Mansion really soured me on the book. For all the talk of getting back to the highs of Claremont's run on Uncanny, that's not something those stories would have done so perfunctorily.

It's just a normal dude too, right? IIRC he goes away after his daughter's death and manages to be skilled enough with weapons & hacking to cause issues for the X-Men plus he has equipment that counters the Gold team. Even if Ms. Nance was funding/training him it's still ridiculous that the flagship book was so perfunctory (not that I wanted more of it), especially compared to, say, the Purifiers blowing up a bus of depowered students.
The recent issue about the alien who showed up in the initial Brotherhood was just dire and unoriginal too. Guggenheim seems to think he has a hot new enemy on his hands here.

Interestingly, Eye-Boy losing an eye hasn't shown up yet in Gen X, but they went to the trouble of coordinating a conversation between Idie and Quentin in Gen X and Iceman. Could be a timing thing, but I'm amused they are ignoring Guggenheim's stuff thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Metalshark posted:

It's just a normal dude too, right? IIRC he goes away after his daughter's death and manages to be skilled enough with weapons & hacking to cause issues for the X-Men plus he has equipment that counters the Gold team. Even if Ms. Nance was funding/training him it's still ridiculous that the flagship book was so perfunctory (not that I wanted more of it), especially compared to, say, the Purifiers blowing up a bus of depowered students.
The recent issue about the alien who showed up in the initial Brotherhood was just dire and unoriginal too. Guggenheim seems to think he has a hot new enemy on his hands here.

Interestingly, Eye-Boy losing an eye hasn't shown up yet in Gen X, but they went to the trouble of coordinating a conversation between Idie and Quentin in Gen X and Iceman. Could be a timing thing, but I'm amused they are ignoring Guggenheim's stuff thus far.

Yeah, apart from the tone issues and the needless grimdarkness, it feels ridiculous. Like, he's ridiculously well equipped with adamantium laced armour and a power neutraliser and biotech explosives sourced specifically to prevent Kitty's phasing from disabling them, but he's just some guy who is mad about mutants. I would assume that he's being funded by Nance but it's still preposterous that this no-name shmuck just walks into the X-Men's house, hacks their computers, kills two people, and fights them nearly to a standstill with zero preamble.

More than that it's just a weird failure of dramatic plotting. If you really must have a villain kill children under the X-Men's protection, at least build it up first and put the appropriate dramatic weight on it. The X-Men just look mildly upset that a random home invader broke into their house and killed their kids, and they're back to snarky quipping a few pages later. I liked Gold okay up until that point but it's pretty thin gruel compared to the classic run it's trying to pay homage to.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
lol it sounds like DC's Prometheus crossed over and became an X-villain

that's not a good thing

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Android Blues posted:

Also Old Man Logan feels absolutely just like, "it's Wolverine with a hair colour change," in Gold. On the bright side, Astonishing is interesting and gorgeous and has a much better take on that character.

I never felt that (at least with Lemire's run, but not much different with Brisson yet at least). 2/3rd of it revolved about Old Man Logan timeline/adjustment issues after all.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Decius posted:

I never felt that (at least with Lemire's run, but not much different with Brisson yet at least). 2/3rd of it revolved about Old Man Logan timeline/adjustment issues after all.

I'm specifically talking about his role in X-Men Gold, where he's pretty much just acting like 80s-era Wolverine but slightly grumpier.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Autism Sneaks posted:

lol it sounds like DC's Prometheus crossed over and became an X-villain

that's not a good thing

That would just be X-Cutioner from the 90s.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
This is a strong article: https://io9.gizmodo.com/its-time-for-the-x-mens-stories-about-discrimination-to-1818715399

I'd definitely like to see more intersectionality within the X-Men themselves, written by creators who can handle these topics ably. We've obviously had some passing privilege stuff with the X-Men, but a lot of recent runs have just been a super team with a PR problem facing crisis after crisis. Which reminds me that I did like Fraction/Gillen having a PR person for the X-Men in San Francisco and Gillen's Generation Hope touched on some international responses to mutants that was good stuff.

I miss the Academy X kids so much. They were so messed up by what they had to face in Messiah CompleX and afterwards with the Purifiers and Bastion, but they carried on regardless. :3: Well, those that survived.

I'd love an anthology X-book to return with shorter stories/one-shots focusing on individual mutants again, but no way is an anthology book with less action gonna work these days. Without Mutant Town, the Morlocks, a Utopia/Genosha or something, it feels like the X-Men are kind of adrift these days. Early days still since the latest relaunch, but they need to decide what they're doing regarding the direction for the X-Men because the Central Park thing hasn't really figured yet, and the Blue team in Madripoor just kind of stop by occasionally to hang out with their new buddies.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Surge is my X-waifu and if I ever get a job at Marvel you better believe I'm shoving her down everyone's throats so hard it'll make Bendis' thing for Kitty look subtle. Elixir will also be making a comeback, but I just think he's :krad:.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
An anthology book would work fine... as a webcomic or 99-cent weekly. There's a lot they could do if they weren't still shackled to the direct market.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Today's new episode of "Jay & Miles X-Plain the X-Men" is a show recorded live at NYCC with Chris Claremont and Louise Simonson. It's a fun listen. Claremont's a lot more awake this time around.

My favorite part is that it's been 30 years or so and Claremont is still remarkably annoyed about the original X-Factor run.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I've been going nuts buying back-issues filling in some gaps, then gradually going farther and farther back. I've now got an entire Uncanny #147-330 run, plus the two Days of Future past issues, a few raggedy random issues before that and a CGC graded 8.5 Giant Size X-Men #1. Please send help.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Metalshark posted:

This is a strong article: https://io9.gizmodo.com/its-time-for-the-x-mens-stories-about-discrimination-to-1818715399

I'd definitely like to see more intersectionality within the X-Men themselves, written by creators who can handle these topics ably. We've obviously had some passing privilege stuff with the X-Men, but a lot of recent runs have just been a super team with a PR problem facing crisis after crisis. Which reminds me that I did like Fraction/Gillen having a PR person for the X-Men in San Francisco and Gillen's Generation Hope touched on some international responses to mutants that was good stuff.

I miss the Academy X kids so much. They were so messed up by what they had to face in Messiah CompleX and afterwards with the Purifiers and Bastion, but they carried on regardless. :3: Well, those that survived.

I'd love an anthology X-book to return with shorter stories/one-shots focusing on individual mutants again, but no way is an anthology book with less action gonna work these days. Without Mutant Town, the Morlocks, a Utopia/Genosha or something, it feels like the X-Men are kind of adrift these days. Early days still since the latest relaunch, but they need to decide what they're doing regarding the direction for the X-Men because the Central Park thing hasn't really figured yet, and the Blue team in Madripoor just kind of stop by occasionally to hang out with their new buddies.

I agree on all accounts.

I think if they were willing to make the books a bit more dense they could always do the 90s style comics of full A plots and B plots (and sometimes C plots) in each issue. The stories are so decompressed that there's rarely any room to cover anything but the main story and even those often would've been cover-able in one issue in the 70s.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

davebo posted:

I've been going nuts buying back-issues filling in some gaps, then gradually going farther and farther back. I've now got an entire Uncanny #147-330 run, plus the two Days of Future past issues, a few raggedy random issues before that and a CGC graded 8.5 Giant Size X-Men #1. Please send help.

I have been reading all uncanny and just finished chuck Austen's run. Holy poo poo was it bad

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wanderer posted:

Today's new episode of "Jay & Miles X-Plain the X-Men" is a show recorded live at NYCC with Chris Claremont and Louise Simonson. It's a fun listen. Claremont's a lot more awake this time around.

My favorite part is that it's been 30 years or so and Claremont is still remarkably annoyed about the original X-Factor run.

I like a lot of post Dark Phoenix comics with Jean Grey, but she probably should have staid dead.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

davebo posted:

I know the feeling, friend. In the past two weeks I've bought: UXM 10, 33, 44, 47, 61, 63, 155, and 350. Almost had 133 too.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

davebo posted:

Filling gaps is how they get you. Once those are filled it's either go further back or collect something else. I'm 23 issues shy of having X-Men 1-400 not counting the reprints.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just got the three X-Men Omnibusses and called it a day. No way am I going to try to get those issues. I lugged the first volume to Toronto's ComicCon 2 years ago and got Stan Lee's autograph too.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Pretty sure none of these deaths in the Mojo event are sticking now that he offed Angel and seemingly young Bobby.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Cabbit posted:

Pretty sure none of these deaths in the Mojo event are sticking now that he offed Angel and seemingly young Bobby.

The dead are also seen on future covers.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

I have been reading all uncanny and just finished chuck Austen's run. Holy poo poo was it bad

It's pretty terrible, except for his characterization of Juggernaut. The whole Juggernaut/Sammy thing was really well done.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jedi posted:

It's pretty terrible, except for his characterization of Juggernaut. The whole Juggernaut/Sammy thing was really well done.

Including the banging of she hulk?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Especially that, because of how much it tilted Dan Slott.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

bobkatt013 posted:

Including the banging of she hulk?

I think you mean the alternate universe Jen Walters who was on vacation in Earth 616 and took the form of She-Hulk during that peroid of time.

No, really: https://youtu.be/KNaoKg37HPA

Also from that video, Bendis has vicarously dated Kitty Pyrde twice through proxy in E-1610.

Zoro fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 21, 2017

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Does anyone have any idea when the NEXT appearance of OG Wolverine is? He showed up in Legacy #1 and then... I feel like there' be more promotion about his return. I try to search google news about it but I keep getting news about actual real wolverines. Apparently they're a problem somewhere in the US.

My desire to read anything involving OML is just immediately evaporated now that regular Logan is back. Laura is still a worthwhile character, as is Daken. I've read about 3 panels with Jimmy Hudson in them, and I feel like he came to 616 just for that surprise silhouette with claws on that one issue of blue. But OK, whatever, him to, I'll see what he's about. But OML is just substitute Wolverine and there's no reason for him anymore.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If Rachel Grey is any indication, you can do a lot of great things with the alternate reality children of popular dead characters, even after they come back to life.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hellblazer187 posted:

Does anyone have any idea when the NEXT appearance of OG Wolverine is? He showed up in Legacy #1 and then... I feel like there' be more promotion about his return. I try to search google news about it but I keep getting news about actual real wolverines. Apparently they're a problem somewhere in the US.

My desire to read anything involving OML is just immediately evaporated now that regular Logan is back. Laura is still a worthwhile character, as is Daken. I've read about 3 panels with Jimmy Hudson in them, and I feel like he came to 616 just for that surprise silhouette with claws on that one issue of blue. But OK, whatever, him to, I'll see what he's about. But OML is just substitute Wolverine and there's no reason for him anymore.

I think somebody said ANGotG.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
My favorite thing about Jimmy Hudson is how he just willed the adamantium onto his claws

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
No, wait. I meant least favorite. That was such loving bullshit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Soonmot posted:

No, wait. I meant least favorite. That was such loving bullshit.

Rachel did have the advantage of being created by Chris Claremont instead of Jeph Loeb.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Jimmy was also created to be a wolverine stand in, while Rachel just eventually became a Jean stand in.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

CharlestheHammer posted:

Jimmy was also created to be a wolverine stand in, while Rachel just eventually became a Jean stand in.

Yet I never see crowds of people online claim he was forced on fans and it's just a terrible replacement and is a sign of Marvel the downfall and its political agenda. :hmmm face:

Anyway, we have so many Wolverines it's hard to keep track of. I guess it works in that now both X-Men teams have a wolverine but also do both X-Men teams need a Wolverine?

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Zoro posted:

do both X-Men teams need a Wolverine?

Wasn't there a page in something where it showed Wolverine's week and every day he's on a different team?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jedi posted:

Wasn't there a page in something where it showed Wolverine's week and every day he's on a different team?

It was a 2-issue splash page story by Jason Aaron and Adam Kubert.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Rhyno posted:

It was a 2-issue splash page story by Jason Aaron and Adam Kubert.

It's also no fooling one of the best Wolverine stories of all time. Managing to be funny and poignant.
It's called "A Mile in My Moccasins" and was in Wolverine 73 and 74 from 2013.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 24, 2017

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Hellblazer187 posted:

I was actually going to come in here and ask that exact same question. It just feels like Legacy came out a few months earlier then where the X-Men comics are at right now.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Zoro posted:

Yet I never see crowds of people online claim he was forced on fans and it's just a terrible replacement and is a sign of Marvel the downfall and its political agenda. :hmmm face:
Well then allow me to be the first you hear of it. More "representation" bullshit because the AU fakepeople immigrating into our good honest real world aren't buying comics at the same rate as good honest realworlders. Maybe I'd buy more comics if all my TAXES weren't going into the pocket of some rear end in a top hat named Ultimate Todd who won't shut up about how much of a better job President Marilyn Manson was doing back where he came from.

Um, seriously though, to hell with Jimmy. I'll allow that the "So you're my father from an alternate future universe?" "Yep" "Hm." panels from one of the recent Mojo Worldwide issues made me laugh, but that's it. Speaking of which, what a *long, drawn-out fart noise* story that's been so far. Each page could just be captioned "Member this?" It also drives me nuts how my favorite bros Rockslide and Anole keep showing up in the background in Gold just to remind me they're there but not really doing anything.

Whoo, that was a really negative post. Somebody get me the new issue of Wolverine. Dying to find out what codename Gabby eventually picks. Wonder if it's gonna be Talon, like they hinted at Laura taking before they realized they should stick with something copyrightable (I guess?).

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I also don't care at all for them bringing more people over from the Ultimate universe either. The Maker and Spider-Man (+ friends and family) was all that was needed (and even the Maker should bugger off once Reed is back). Generally, we need a moratorium on alternate universe people running around. Maestro and the Hulk family? No thanks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Complaining about alternate universe people in the X-Thread seems a little, uhm, closing the barn door after the horses fled.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Diet Poison posted:

Well then allow me to be the first you hear of it. More "representation" bullshit because the AU fakepeople immigrating into our good honest real world aren't buying comics at the same rate as good honest realworlders. Maybe I'd buy more comics if all my TAXES weren't going into the pocket of some rear end in a top hat named Ultimate Todd who won't shut up about how much of a better job President Marilyn Manson was doing back where he came from.

Um, seriously though, to hell with Jimmy. I'll allow that the "So you're my father from an alternate future universe?" "Yep" "Hm." panels from one of the recent Mojo Worldwide issues made me laugh, but that's it. Speaking of which, what a *long, drawn-out fart noise* story that's been so far. Each page could just be captioned "Member this?" It also drives me nuts how my favorite bros Rockslide and Anole keep showing up in the background in Gold just to remind me they're there but not really doing anything.

Whoo, that was a really negative post. Somebody get me the new issue of Wolverine. Dying to find out what codename Gabby eventually picks. Wonder if it's gonna be Talon, like they hinted at Laura taking before they realized they should stick with something copyrightable (I guess?).

It's an usual mojo story aka awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

No further details yet. Not really digging the 90s meets MCU armor costume, though.