Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Early game spoiler

I get that he is lore and knows the elf and all that poo poo but I'm tired of Gollum's ugly mug everywhere.

I don't think he shows up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Calaveron posted:

Yeah, a bit of lore I remember is that what'shisface Iluvatar's sibling or something created dwarves without Iluvatar's permission and when he found out he got pissy and threatened to destroy the dwarves but seeing them cower made him realize they had a soul and were cool and allowed them to exist

Iluvatar's subordinate, child, whatever- Iluvatar is literally the Judeo-Christian-Islamic God, and Aule, the maker of the Dwarves, is one of his highest-ranked servants, the Valar (Gandalf and Sauron are Maiar, which are of the same 'species' as the Valar but weaker and thus one level down on the tier- Morgoth/Melkor was a Valar).

Aule created the the Dwarves because he was so eager to teach things that he literally couldn't wait any longer for Iluvatar's true children (the Elves in this case- Men would come much later) and created the Dwarves, and Iluvatar said "what the gently caress son, only I can create life." Which was actually true- the Dwarves were basically puppets and the second Aule stopped directing them with his own thought they literally stopped doing anything, because only Iluvatar had the Secret Flame that would allow him to create true, free-thinking life. Aule realized he'd hosed up and said "you're right, dad, I'll fix this" and lifted his hammer to destroy the dwarves.

The dwarves immediately cowered because they now had free will. Because Aule, unlike Morgoth, literally had no ill intent behind his creation of his own life and immediately and sincerely repented, Iluvatar took pity on Aule and 'adopted' the Dwarves, and said "alright, they can live and be free, but they can't awake before my creations."

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Jack Trades posted:

A free update that will be released together with the first DLC, the Slaughter Tribe, will include Endless Shadow Wars gamemode.

Even I am not interested that at all. Shadow Wars is the hands down the most dull part of the game.

Hmm, that's pretty much what i thought would happen at the end of the game, so i'm happy with that. Will let me lose fortresses, siege them and defend them and gently caress around with uruks with all gameplay elements still avaliable.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hihohe posted:

Wasnt Aragorn technically a half elf but he chose Man instead of Elf and Arwen was his cousin.

Tolkein knew what was up with the lineages of monarchies.

Aragorn was a Dunedain, a Man with Numenorean lineage. Basically humans+. No elf in him, but the Numenoreans were blessed.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think he shows up again.

Of course not, he shows up for five minutes then fucks off for the rest of the game, just like in the first one. It's just so weird that he is there at all.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SettingSun posted:

Aragorn was a Dunedain, a Man with Numenorean lineage. Basically humans+. No elf in him, but the Numenoreans were blessed.

Yeah Aragorn lives to be like 200.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
So what's the deal with the training pit unlock for forts? I cheesed the final pit by using a poisonous orc 15 levels below his poison vulnerable opponent and I'm not seeing anything new in my fortress or any optionsfor building.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
-Assist your follower in a chase mission. Follower is reinforced by broken Brûz.
-Target somehow escapes. Because I recruited an old Warchief, target becomes new Warchief.
-Set up same follower to infiltrate as new Warchief's bodyguard.
-Find out at the betrayal mission that follower has become blood brother to the new Warchief.
-Warchief flees his own betrayal, causing follower to get mad that I "killed" the blood brother he just hit with a flaming mace.

:psyduck:

-Shun follower's rear end, worse than death.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

So what's the deal with the training pit unlock for forts? I cheesed the final pit by using a poisonous orc 15 levels below his poison vulnerable opponent and I'm not seeing anything new in my fortress or any optionsfor building.

You have to reach level 40 to unlock the 4th warchief slot, then the 5th slot will be opened automatically if you cleared fighting pits

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Why's Gollum all over Celebrimbor if dude's an elf which Gollum hates and light too which Gollum double hates
Is it just because he can create new rings

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
What the gently caress, my prize pitfighter just died because his Power Hungry trait never fired and he never got enraged by the higher-level orc. Goddamnit.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

So spoilers for Act 4 don't read if you aren't there Since I don't have my bro anymore is the level 60 Bright Lord Armor basically pointless or what?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Of course not, he shows up for five minutes then fucks off for the rest of the game, just like in the first one. It's just so weird that he is there at all.
Gollum was in several missions in the first game if not several cutscenes.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Calaveron posted:

Is it just because he can create new rings

It's not exactly fleshed-out lore, but I think the idea is that he either wants a new ring or think Celebrimbor will somehow lead him to the one ring. I seem to remember in a post-blackout cutscene in the first game Gollum was rifling through Talion's pockets, presumably because he figured this random guy had the/a ring.

The answer is still "to tie this poo poo in with the movies", though.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Talion is lame and Ratbag should have been the protagonist, imo

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I don't mind Gollum's inclusion in the game because lol lotr canon and also because Liam O'Brian is a dead loving ringer for what's his face the original guy

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

SettingSun posted:

The Nimenoreans were basically from Tolkien’s version of Atlantis, right? So are they really human+ or were they what the human baseline was supposed to be like, but after their scattering and the collapse of their civilization everyone eventually became human-?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Iluvatar's subordinate, child, whatever- Iluvatar is literally the Judeo-Christian-Islamic God, and Aule, the maker of the Dwarves, is one of his highest-ranked servants, the Valar (Gandalf and Sauron are Maiar, which are of the same 'species' as the Valar but weaker and thus one level down on the tier- Morgoth/Melkor was a Valar).

Aule created the the Dwarves because he was so eager to teach things that he literally couldn't wait any longer for Iluvatar's true children (the Elves in this case- Men would come much later) and created the Dwarves, and Iluvatar said "what the gently caress son, only I can create life." Which was actually true- the Dwarves were basically puppets and the second Aule stopped directing them with his own thought they literally stopped doing anything, because only Iluvatar had the Secret Flame that would allow him to create true, free-thinking life. Aule realized he'd hosed up and said "you're right, dad, I'll fix this" and lifted his hammer to destroy the dwarves.

The dwarves immediately cowered because they now had free will. Because Aule, unlike Morgoth, literally had no ill intent behind his creation of his own life and immediately and sincerely repented, Iluvatar took pity on Aule and 'adopted' the Dwarves, and said "alright, they can live and be free, but they can't awake before my creations."

so where the gently caress do orcs and trolls come from then? i have read some but its all over the place and contradictory mostly because tolkien didn't really care and or didn't get around to it. i know shadow of series is going more of the movie ideas but idk.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mailer posted:

It's not exactly fleshed-out lore, but I think the idea is that he either wants a new ring or think Celebrimbor will somehow lead him to the one ring. I seem to remember in a post-blackout cutscene in the first game Gollum was rifling through Talion's pockets, presumably because he figured this random guy had the/a ring.

The answer is still "to tie this poo poo in with the movies", though.

thats sorta why i always counted as movie canon(or at least WB movie canon) mostly because of stuff like that and one of the ending shots.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vargs posted:

Talion is lame and Ratbag should have been the protagonist, imo

Waypoint's Austin Walker agrees

Talion loving sucks, also his Oblivion default-character-creator-looking-rear end is from 2005 or some poo poo

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Waypoint's Austin Walker agrees

Talion loving sucks, also his Oblivion default-character-creator-looking-rear end is from 2005 or some poo poo

i disagree with walkers opinions on the game(he hates it) but talion is crap, he isnt the worst protaganest in a game i have played, but he is up there. he is only fun with ratbag and sometimes with celebrimbor the broken facist ghost who i actualy find interesting to an extent.

in someways i think talions character(or more to the point lack of) works because he is a corpse puppet and alot of characters treat him as such. it doesnt help that everyone is more interesting then him.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The only moment I ever liked Talion in both games (so far, just got to Seregost/Gorgoroth) was in 1 when he loses his poo poo at Ratbag when he coyly implies he's gonna go murder some orcs and Ratbag misunderstands and Talion just goes like I DIDN'T MEAN IT LIKE THAT IDIOT
Also his stubble is gross and weird. They shoulda just done a 5 o clock shadow solid texture instead of individually modelling each gross icky hair

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

The ideal game would've been if Celebrimbor somehow got booted out of Talion and bound to some random lowly orc that you play as, so he's just constantly expressing contempt for everything you're doing even as he helps you rise to power to oppose Sauron.

Heck, maybe he jumps into a new orc every time the last one dies, so you get to play as a new gnarly-faced dude with pieces of metal in your head each time.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

The Nimenoreans were basically from Tolkien’s version of Atlantis, right? So are they really human+ or were they what the human baseline was supposed to be like, but after their scattering and the collapse of their civilization everyone eventually became human-?

Long story short, in the First Age some of the Edain (humans of the First Age) help the Elves defeat Morgoth. Those humans were granted their own island and a boon to their lifespan, wisdom and height. A whole bunch of other Edain remained in Middle Earth proper and descended into the normal humans. Numenorians succumbed to their hubris and their island was destroyed. Survivors make their way back to Middle Earth and descend into the Dunedain, who retain all the bonuses god gave them. A bunch of those jerks, Aragorn's direct ancestors, found Gondor, by the way.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Triarii posted:

The ideal game would've been if Celebrimbor somehow got booted out of Talion and bound to some random lowly orc that you play as, so he's just constantly expressing contempt for everything you're doing even as he helps you rise to power to oppose Sauron.

Heck, maybe he jumps into a new orc every time the last one dies, so you get to play as a new gnarly-faced dude with pieces of metal in your head each time.
As loving cool as that would be, its hard enough to keep track of what's happening on screen sometimes even when you have a more distinctive silhouette, making you an orc would be a lot harder. I'd really like that idea though, especially if you had almost all of your skills remain the same but each orc had a unique benefit/buff/whatever, as long as it was slight.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Triarii posted:

Celebrimbor deliberately getting his orc hosts killed so that he can eventually luck into a cooler-looking orc

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Triarii posted:

Oh now that's a game idea. It would give death some stakes and give you good reason to vary up gameplay styles. Now you are a crossbow orc, now you are a poisonous shield orc. Give the elf ghost some kind of skill tree/progression system that remains permanent so it doesn't feel like you lose everything when you die.

Monolith please let us be orcs

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Another Humiliation orc... I'll never get past level 1.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
I just started the 2nd fortress area and I brand this great Epic fire weapon shield tank orc. So, I send him to hunt down this enemy orc. Didn't notice that the enemy orc was being raided by another enemy orc and that they were being ambushed by this other enemy orc.

So, there are three enemy orcs. I manage to brand one of the enemy orcs and have him stick around to fight by my side. One of the enemy orcs takes off running and gets away. I'm fighting the final orc and screw up a series of counters (X, square, circle) He gets a down chance on me and I manage to screw that up.

The Epic fire orc comes up from behind me, thrusts his hook into the orcs eye, pushes him back, then yanks him forwards and pops his head off.

Thanks for the save, Snafu!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Oh now that's a game idea. It would give death some stakes and give you good reason to vary up gameplay styles. Now you are a crossbow orc, now you are a poisonous shield orc. Give the elf ghost some kind of skill tree/progression system that remains permanent so it doesn't feel like you lose everything when you die.

Monolith please let us be orcs

So Middle Earth: Super Hot?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

hey folks, can you spot the problem with this orc?

that's right. the problem is he's not the leader of a fortress yet. he lives dangerously. i like that in an orc

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kelp Plankton posted:

hey folks, can you spot the problem with this orc?

that's right. the problem is he's not the leader of a fortress yet. he lives dangerously. i like that in an orc

Well one problem is that he is a Troll not an Orc.

Anyway just started the Final Zog Mission and look who here to greet me The 6 Orcs who were the biggest pains in my rear end that actually died. Warning there is a final Carnan/Zog Mission in Minas Morgul after you kill him the first time. I nearly missed it.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

trolls are orcs too, if they want to be

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I mean and aren't most of the guys you fight actually uruk-hai

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Has anyone in the late game encountered any captains that just have their name, no suffixes? Just recruited a level 37 orc named Bagga, no title or anything, didn't say anything when we fought. Celebrimbor didn't say anything when dominating him either, just stared at him for a good 15 seconds then he was mine.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

My dream concept for an Orcs of Mordor sequel would have the plot kick off with an initially small but ambiguously numbered group of Orcs starting a rebellion. You play a (semi-)randomly generated orc leading the group and when you die you are succeeded by the next in line.

That or just port the nemesis system over to a Star Wars game and let me Dominate some clones.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Calaveron posted:

I mean and aren't most of the guys you fight actually uruk-hai
Eh, its debatable. Uruks are seemingly super-orcs bred by Sauron (and later Saruman) that aren't seen until about 500 years after Minas Ithil fell but the enemies in the game also tend to be the taller, broader, more muscular build that characterizes uruks compared to regular orcs. So, they look like uruks but uruks shouldn't exist yet. (Olog-hai are also not mentioned at all until the right before the Ring is destroyed.)
:goonsay:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ravenfood posted:

Eh, its debatable. Uruks are seemingly super-orcs bred by Sauron (and later Saruman) that aren't seen until about 500 years after Minas Ithil fell but the enemies in the game also tend to be the taller, broader, more muscular build that characterizes uruks compared to regular orcs. So, they look like uruks but uruks shouldn't exist yet. (Olog-hai are also not mentioned at all until the right before the Ring is destroyed.)
:goonsay:

I've heard in-game dialogue of presumably orcs complaining about how "Uruks get special treatment" and other gripes so I think there's orcs and Uruks in game

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I really wanted to love the Cairnan missions because the story is cool but holy poo poo, each one of those is like a showcase for places where SoW's gameplay falls apart. Those loving Drake controls are hideous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
poo poo, I just noticed that when you upgrade legendary gear it creates a new, higher level quest and removes the old quest reward. No wonder all my legendary gear has level 40 quest requirements even though I'm only 23. That's kind of a stupid system, to be honest.

EDIT: Wait, legendary items don't actually have grayed-out powers like epics do. Whoops. I probably should be using more of them.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 17, 2017

• Locked thread