Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Aren't you supposed to only call out posts from this thread?

I would have called it out in the Trump thread, where he made it, but this seems like the more appropriate venue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Majorian posted:

Loam, if you're reading this, I really think you owe us an explanation for this quote, because uh...:stare:

Loam you are such a tremendous piece of poo poo.

Another month they will say """leftists""" need to be "removed" from society.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Excuse me sir can you please explain this incomplete and out of context quotation?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

yes... that would be the point of asking for the explanation lol

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

Excuse me sir can you please explain this incomplete and out of context quotation?

It was in response to this post:

FizFashizzle posted:

Hillary could literally never make another public appearance or say anything in her life and Fox news would still be trying to hang her. She's an industry at this point.

the best outcome would be her realizing her corporate centrism never worked and directing her substantial network of contributors to supporting meaningful, useful down ballot candidates and initiatives.

Also getting her people out of the DNC.

...which seems like a pretty non-inflammatory opinion, regardless of whether or not you, personally, agree with it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Majorian posted:

It was in response to this post:

...which seems like a pretty non-inflammatory opinion, regardless of whether or not you, personally, agree with it.

You realize that post originally called for a krystallnacht of the dnc right? but then was edited, so yeah maybe that was the inflammatory bit?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Liam was playing the left = Nazis line well before FizFashizzle’s post so it’s not as if it’s a one-off spurred by the heat of the moment.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Majorian posted:

Loam, if you're reading this, I really think you owe us an explanation for this quote, because uh...:stare:

Did you read the post that it was quoted or are you incapable of basic reading comprehension?

The post quoted said "we need to kristalnacht the dnc' and was spouting other talking points that are identical from the left and right.

You keep doing you Majorian.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Office Pig posted:

Liam was playing the left = Nazis line well before FizFashizzle’s post so it’s not as if it’s a one-off spurred by the heat of the moment.

No it's an observed trend. It's not people with leftist ideals that are similar to Nazis. It's the people that pretend to have them on the internet that are.

See: people advocating for the 'kristalnachting' the DNC and leftists jumping out of the woodwork to defend it.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Who defended the statement? Who said "yes, this is an appropriate choice of diction"? Feel free to quote them.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Falstaff posted:

Who defended the statement? Who said "yes, this is an appropriate choice of diction"? Feel free to quote them.

The voices did.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Falstaff posted:

The :siren: INTERNET LEFTISTS :siren: did, I swear they did! They're everywhere, in every shadow, I constantly see them out of the corner of my eyes!

They stacked my sneakers! They know I'm onto them! :tinfoil:

E: VVV FAKE NEWS! (lmao)

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 17, 2017

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

"WampoLord posted:

I, forum poster Wampalord, support and condone the statement "we need to kristalnacht the dnc"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

No it's an observed trend. It's not people with leftist ideals that are similar to Nazis. It's the people that pretend to have them on the internet that are.

See: people advocating for the 'kristalnachting' the DNC and leftists jumping out of the woodwork to defend it.

uhhh... wow

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Falstaff posted:

In the Trump thread many chose to ignore the quoted part that was inflammatory and chose to continue to agree that Hillary was indeed terrible. It is something seen over and over where supposed leftist people ignore straight up Nazi like talk if it agreed with their preferred narrative. The left adapts and internalizes right wing attacks because they find them convenient cugdels. See the Hillary Clinton owned slaves talking points or the Harvey Weinstein derails.

I find it hilarious that you guys can react to my posts so much, but a guy calling for a repeat of kristalnacht doesn't cause you to blink an eye. Then you all come into the thunderdome pretending to be outraged calling me out. Am I the only one that finds this a little :thunk:

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 17, 2017

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

:goonsay: Hillary Clinton managed slaves

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

In what loving world is attacking prison slave labor a right wing tactic.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

In the Trump thread many chose to ignore the quoted part that was inflammatory and chose to continue to agree that Hillary was indeed terrible. It is something seen over and over where supposed leftist people ignore straight up Nazi like talk if it agreed with their preferred narrative. The left adapts and internalizes right wing attacks because they find them convenient cugdels. See the Hillary Clinton owned slaves talking points or the Harvey Weinstein derails.

And did these posters agree pre- or post-edit? Because I wasn't even aware of the original (awful and lovely) wording until I looked later in the thread and saw it quoted, at which point I understood your objection (this was pre- your own edit, for the record, so you didn't actually ). You quite rightly called out someone who was being really lovely. I certainly didn't see anyone defending the use of a call to "kristallnacht" the DNC despite the fact that according to you leftists were

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

jumping out of the woodwork to defend it.

I mean, yes, I might have missed it. My eyes glaze over sometimes when reading long threads, so sometimes I miss things. I've been wrong before, and I'm sure I'll be wrong again before I die. I just don't see what you're talking about.

E: Quoted the post I was responding to.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Oh Snapple! posted:

Gee, how is a misleading smear statement used only to denigrate a person similar to what the right wing does?

Attacking prison labor is not the problem.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Falstaff posted:

And did these posters agree pre- or post-edit? Because I wasn't even aware of the original (awful and lovely) wording until I looked later in the thread and saw it quoted, at which point I understood your objection (this was pre- your own edit, for the record, so you didn't actually ). You quite rightly called out someone who was being really lovely. I certainly didn't see anyone defending the use of a call to "kristallnacht" the DNC despite the fact that according to you leftists were

I mean, yes, I might have missed it. My eyes glaze over sometimes when reading long threads, so sometimes I miss things. I've been wrong before, and I'm sure I'll be wrong again before I die. I just don't see what you're talking about.

E: Quoted the post I was responding to.

The edit was done pretty quickly, but it was pointed out and people still responded to him as if it was never there. I'm not able to go through post by post at the moment, but it was pretty :stare: from my perspective.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

Don't you know. The top 1% are a minority, affecting their bottom line is just like the Holocaust.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
There's nothing wrong with attacking prison labor, and if you were calling out FDR as a slaver each and every time his name is mentioned nobody would be suggesting you were using prison labor as a cudgel. But you don't. It's weird to focus on a few dozen convicted murderers working in the governors mansion and ignore a hundred thousand Japanese Americans, denied due process, building infrastructure for no pay, if your real goal is to dismantle the state's use of unpaid prison labor.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

There's nothing misleading about it. She directly had slaves working for her in the governor's mansion, saw nothing wrong with it, and justified it with some phrenology-level bullshit.

Of course, the label is also applied with the knowledge that she and Bill would go on to condemn millions more black Americans into that same slavery.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

There's nothing wrong with attacking prison labor, and if you were calling out FDR as a slaver each and every time his name is mentioned nobody would be suggesting you were using prison labor as a cudgel. But you don't. It's weird to focus on a few dozen convicted murderers working in the governors mansion and ignore a hundred thousand Japanese Americans, denied due process, building infrastructure for no pay, if your real goal is to dismantle the state's use of unpaid prison labor.

Nobody defends Japanese internment, JeffersonClay.

Well except Michelle Malkin I guess.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

Nobody defends Japanese internment, JeffersonClay.

Well except Michelle Malkin I guess.

If you're looking for high profile 20th century Democrats who personally contributed to the prison slave labor system, FDR has everyone else beat by like four orders of magnitude. That this is never mentioned when discussing his legacy implies moral disgust at prison slave labor is not, in fact, the reason you keep talking about it.

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 17, 2017

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

JeffersonClay posted:

Amazing.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

If you're looking for high profile 20th century Democrats who personally contributed to the prison slave labor system, FDR has everyone else beat by like four orders of magnitude. That this is never mentioned when discussing his legacy implies prison slave labor is not, in fact, the reason you keep talking about it.

FDR died before any of us were born you loving moron.

Also, Clinton was a high profile 21st century Democrat, so this argument still makes no sense.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It really is. He says these things, knowing not just that he's defended pretty much every form of slavery under the sun, but that the people reading his posts are fully aware of that fact.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Did you know that Karl Marx invested money in STOCKS?!?! Why aren't we talking about that guys???

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

isnt FDR dead

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

If you're looking for high profile 20th century Democrats who personally contributed to the prison slave labor system, FDR has everyone else beat by like four orders of magnitude. That this is never mentioned when discussing his legacy implies prison slave labor is not, in fact, the reason you keep talking about it.

FDR wasn't running for president last year and no one discussing his legacy is secretly trying to bring back internment. If FDR ran, or if someone else ran for president on his legacy and wrote a book where they said "at first I was scared to be near Japanese internees because what if they attack me, but after I got to know them I realized that the troublemakers were easy to control and the rest were fine workers whose free labor was great for the state budget!" I promise you it would come up.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

Also, Clinton was a high profile 21st century candidate, so this argument still makes no sense.

What's the statute of limitations for slaving?

BadOptics posted:

Did you know that Karl Marx invested money in STOCKS?!?! Why aren't we talking about that guys???

This post is exactly what I'm talking about. FDR enslaved a hundred thousand people. Why do you want to erase that?

VitalSigns posted:

FDR wasn't running for president last year and no one discussing his legacy is secretly trying to bring back internment. If FDR ran, or if someone else ran for president on his legacy and wrote a book where they said "at first I was scared to be near Japanese internees because what if they attack me, but after I got to know them I realized that the troublemakers were easy to control and the rest were fine workers whose free labor was great for the state budget!" I promise you it would come up.

It's well documented that he thought Japanese were inferior to whites, and that was part of his justification for internment.

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 17, 2017

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Calibanibal posted:

isnt FDR dead

Wikipedia says he is but...I dunno, man. That's wikipedia. I'm hesitant to trust it on this.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

honestly I'm not sure if there is the time of day to catalogue the sins of every being who ever lived every time they're mentioned. we need to narrow down the targets of our wrath

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

What's the statute of limitations for slaving?

This post is exactly what I'm talking about. FDR enslaved a hundred thousand people. Why do you want to erase that?

It's well documented that he thought Japanese were inferior to whites, and that was part of his justification for internment.

I agree that we should not nominate any more pro-slave politicians.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Me, smart goon: Ah this chap JeffersonClay seems like a wayward poster. Time to argue in good faith.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm glad he's alive. I was worried Helsing's goodposting had atomized him and I was going to suggest someone go round his house to check on his pets.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

I'm glad he's alive. I was worried Helsing's goodposting had atomized him and I was going to suggest someone go round his house to check on his pets.

You have to have empathy for other beings to have pets.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

BadOptics posted:

The idea that he has pets is sort of terrifying.

BadOptics posted:

Unfortunately this is not true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
the new deal was good and japanese internment was bad. they are not inseparable, though, and you can pick and choose what policies you take on. politicians who lived in times with different values are all going to be bad, that's why you try to focus on policies instead of emulating the person as a Great Man.

the problem with someone like hillary is that it seems they only did bad things and there aren't many tangible goods as a result of their time in government to point to to say "well we can learn from this accomplishment and build off it and incorporate the positive for our strategies, while simultaneously avoiding the terrible things they did".

e: by the nature of their constant triangulation, p. much anything positive they did, there's other people who did to a greater degree. which is what makes how people look up to them to the point of a cult of personality so mystifying.

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 17, 2017

• Locked thread