Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sorry for the "you know what rustles my jimmies" posting, but I only just made this connection and I have to write it down and it's making me mad.

You know in your d20 supplement or derivative of choice, there's always a set of feats that have some kind of special distinction? Like, in Arcana Evolved, there's something called "Name Feats" or "Ritual Feats" or something that you can only take in the first level because it's your heritage on some poo poo.

Despite the fact that these feats are special enough to be separated into their own list, because you only ever interact with them that one time, feats are always, always listed alphabetically.

quote:

Talents

Talents are special feats a character can take only at 1st level. They represent not training, but inborn gifts. Since most people have only one talent (Unbound characters could have two), they can really help to distinguish a character right from the outset.

and then when you down the feat list:

quote:

Aid Spellcasting [General]
You add your knowledge and power to the casting of an ally’s spell.
Prerequisites: Ability to cast spells, Intelligence 15, Charisma 15

Benefit: As a standard action, similar to aid another, the character makes a Concentration check to help another spellcaster cast a spell. If she exceeds a Difficulty Class of 10 + the level of the spell being cast, she adds +1 to either the spell’s Difficulty Class or to its caster level (character’s choice). Additional casters with this feat can also make attempts to add to the spell, but the most that can be added to the Difficulty Class or the caster level is a total equal to the level of the spell being cast.

Ambidexterity [Talent]
You can use your right and left hands equally well.
Prerequisites: Dexterity 15, character level 1st only

Benefit: The character ignores all penalties for using an off hand. She is neither left handed nor right handed.
Normal: Without this talent, a character using her off hand suffers a –4 penalty to attack rolls, ability checks, and skill checks. For example, a right-handed character wielding a weapon with her left hand suffers a –4 penalty to attack rolls with that weapon.
Special: This talent helps offset the penalty for fighting with two weapons.

Armor Proficiency, Exotic [General]
You can use exotic armor.

Benefit: The character can wear exotic armor without penalty.
To use exotic armor, the character must have the appropriate normal proficiency (light, medium, or heavy) for that type of armor.
Normal: A character wearing armor with which she is not proficient suffers its armor check penalty on attack rolls and on all skill checks that involve moving, including Ride.

It's so stupid. You have a feat that you can only take at first level sandwiched between everything else that can be taken at any other time you can earn a feat.

Again, I'm sorry for getting so worked up about this, but I had to let it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
That's not a mistake, it's just a reference vs. learning problem. Personally I'd come down on the side of reference every day so I'm glad they did it like that.

Even better would be to have it one way in a table with feat names + short descriptions and the other way in the full rules text with page numbers for cross-referencing but in the long run it's probably all going into a wiki or an character builder app anyways.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
They could have easily broken out talents in alphabetical order.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The only person you have to blame is yourself, for reading a Monte Cook Arcana book

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Also the idea that you can't train ambidexterity is wrong anyway, AFAIK. And even if it is wrong, there's not much reason to enforce that in a fantasy setting where people shoot fire because of book-lurnin'. I don't know why they mess around with having "innate" abilities in settings where people can get turned into frogs or reincarnated as gnomes on the regular.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh, man, I would love to run games in the Arcana Evolved setting again.

Only with rules made by, you know, someone competent. The rules are so amazingly busted, particularly around spellcasting. And the class balance is just wretched.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
This talk of premade MtG decks makes me sad the PC releases have been sucking so hard/ceased existing.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

occamsnailfile posted:

This talk of premade MtG decks makes me sad the PC releases have been sucking so hard/ceased existing.

One of them, 2014 maybe? was pretty cool because it didn’t let you free build; it was all gimmick decks that you just unlocked more advanced strategies for as you ‘leveled’ then

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

fool_of_sound posted:

One of them, 2014 maybe? was pretty cool because it didn’t let you free build; it was all gimmick decks that you just unlocked more advanced strategies for as you ‘leveled’ then

Yeah, there were a couple like that (I would buy them on sale, play through the 'campaign' content and call it done) which were alright. I don't have the will and time to freebuild, which involves getting to know a shitload of cards and probably reading online guides and so on. The limited game version was okay for me as the most casual of casuals--I suppose I could do that with the premade card decks but then I'd need to find another seriously marginal magic player and then we'd have to buy several decks to keep up variety and so on.

Though I would love an updated remake of the 1995 one that was like a little wandering RPG. That did require freebuilding but it was actually a fun mode, plus it had all that banned broken moxy stuff in it.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

occamsnailfile posted:

Though I would love an updated remake of the 1995 one that was like a little wandering RPG. That did require freebuilding but it was actually a fun mode, plus it had all that banned broken moxy stuff in it.

That one was amazing. You'd be wandering around this world knocking over mermen and swamp thingies to get their cards, then go up against one of the bosses and discover they had some sort of horrifically broken 1e deck which ate you for lunch. I was big into Magic at the time and the pool of cards was smaller so I actually enjoyed deckbuilding, but these days the idea makes my eyes glaze over.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah the Shandalar game was great, even if rules like “only 4 of a card in your deck” and “no power 9” didnt exist so a fairly basic way to win the game was running nothing but artifact mana generation and lightning bolts, nevermind the other truly gnarly combos available to you.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Barudak posted:

Yeah the Shandalar game was great, even if rules like “only 4 of a card in your deck” and “no power 9” didnt exist so a fairly basic way to win the game was running nothing but artifact mana generation and lightning bolts, nevermind the other truly gnarly combos available to you.

4 card limit absolutely did exist in 1997. The inclusion of the power 9 was also an intentional design choice.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Barudak posted:

The per deck limit was in the game, it was three max for a forty card deck, four for sixty, and there was an artifact that increased it by one, lifting it entirely if your deck was big enough.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

4 card limit absolutely did exist in 1997. The inclusion of the power 9 was also an intentional design choice.

The game lets you build decks which ignore it, rules of magic be damned.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Barudak posted:

The game lets you build decks which ignore it, rules of magic be damned.

The misty haze of time must be distorting thine memory, because as you can see from NinjaDebugger's post, this is a falsehood.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Why are the Orcs on Shadow of War full on Warhammer Orks now. Is this some reverse cultural source thing.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Why are the Orcs on Shadow of War full on Warhammer Orks now. Is this some reverse cultural source thing.

Becuz Green is Best

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Plutonis posted:

What do you want, the Orcs to be made for fightin' and not winnin'?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Plutonis posted:

You doubtin' da power ov Gork an Mork? Dat's a stompin'. :orks101:

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Warhammer fans are the worst

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dEQQOuEc5g

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Plutonis posted:

It's easier to ignore how hosed up it is you're mind controlling them to do your bidding if they're all ridiculous cartoon caricatures

Also it's more entertaining

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Plutonis posted:

I'm not really seeing it

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm sorry for the "you know what rustles my jimmies" posting, but I only just made this connection and I have to write it down and it's making me mad.

You know in your d20 supplement or derivative of choice, there's always a set of feats that have some kind of special distinction? Like, in Arcana Evolved, there's something called "Name Feats" or "Ritual Feats" or something that you can only take in the first level because it's your heritage on some poo poo.

Despite the fact that these feats are special enough to be separated into their own list, because you only ever interact with them that one time, feats are always, always listed alphabetically.

and then when you down the feat list:

It's so stupid. You have a feat that you can only take at first level sandwiched between everything else that can be taken at any other time you can earn a feat.

Again, I'm sorry for getting so worked up about this, but I had to let it out.

Like Tuxedo Catfish said, it's a reference vs learning thing. And some people come down super strongly on the side of reference, to the point where they believe that teaching-focused organization must be a mistake.

I've had a couple of reviews of Strike! where the reviewer was upset that I didn't organize the classes alphabetically. Well I didn't want to because I wanted them in an order that would help players reading straight through understand the mechanics better! It wasn't an accident! And it's not like it's hard to reference a class - they are all in the table of contents and they each have a large distinctive image to catch your eye when flipping through the pages. But one review made it out as though they had just been dumped there carelessly because they weren't in alphabetical order.

On the other hand, that same reviewer was 100% right when they said I should have alphabetized the list of backgrounds. By not doing so, I made it hard to find any particular one. If I do a second edition, I'll alphabetize that list for sure! But the classes? No, I'll keep the classes in their simpler->more difficult order.

I personally favor the teaching-focused method because I want people to be able to learn my game from the books instead of relying on being taught by a more experienced player. I have a good memory for mechanics, so when I read through a book, if it teaches me well, I won't need to reference it much. So, for example, when I read Burning Wheel, I got everything all sorted out in my head and didn't need to reference too much. I could teach other players right away without needing to play the game myself first. For contrast, when I read Fragged Empires, I didn't understand it. I kind of knew a pile of mechanics, but there was no big picture without play. I could not teach it to another player if I wanted to. We'd have to muddle through a session of looking poo poo up together before it would click into place. But the book does make it easy to find things when you need to reference them.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Obviously, class names should be such that they line up both alphabetically AND in order of difficulty/mechanical ease.

Fighters should be named Aggressors, Wizards should be named Zappers, and everything else should fall in between

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Whoa, turns out there's a Vurt RPG out right now! :lsd:

quote:

Vurt the RPG is a Cypher System game

...oh.
:sigh:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

I'm not really seeing it

They have british cockney accents and have warhammer-ish war machines and are often comical dipshits instead of menacing evil dudes.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Foglet posted:

Whoa, turns out there's a Vurt RPG out right now! :lsd:

...oh.
:sigh:

What's Vurt?

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Zoro posted:

What's Vurt?

A '93 literary acid trip.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Blockhouse posted:

It's easier to ignore how hosed up it is you're mind controlling them to do your bidding if they're all ridiculous cartoon caricatures

Also it's more entertaining

The game will actually start calling you out for it, though. I did something in-game and unscripted that had a one of the Orcs, whose name was like Bracka the Torturer, tell my character that he was really hosed up. A friend of mine also had something similar; the game only lampshades it for so long.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Even the first game, which had orcs that were much more openly despicable, had several of them call you an out and out monster.

Of course the fact that an orc's default state is being at least partly mind-controlled by Sauron made that statement fairly ironic.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I was pretty confused at the thematic gap between the end of the first game and the beginning of the second, since you basically end the first game as a cartoon villian. Then in the second game Tallion suddenly cares about people again. It must be because he spent the interim forging a ring intended to dominate people’s minds aka one of the most evil actions that occurred in the canon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The answer is "the writer from the first game probably didn't work on this one".

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The game will actually start calling you out for it, though. I did something in-game and unscripted that had a one of the Orcs, whose name was like Bracka the Torturer, tell my character that he was really hosed up. A friend of mine also had something similar; the game only lampshades it for so long.

Like I give a poo poo about Orcs think of me

Serf
May 5, 2011

The game looks interesting, but it is odd that you play as a guy who runs around stealing slaves and then enslaving them for your own purposes.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I imagine they stopped trying to pay lip service to Tolkien in the second one because the first one barely tries to and kind of fails at it. It's just a fun game where you're Batman, but with a sword, and mentally dominate commanders who have often comical names. They do make it kind of apparent in the first one that you're becoming Sauron-lite in order to defeat Sauron.

EDIT: I wouldn't exactly call what you do in the first one "enslavement" but that's more to do with the limitations of the game engine. You pretty much just make mobs hostile to you ignore you and occasionally attack other orcs, which I think is already happening according to the story. The commanders come back at the end but they're far from your personal army. That seems to be changed in the second one, although I haven't played it yet.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 17, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Plutonis posted:

Like I give a poo poo about Orcs think of me

That's the mindset of the protagonist, yes. If you stop, the game ends.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Serf posted:

The game looks interesting, but it is odd that you play as a guy who runs around stealing slaves and then enslaving them for your own purposes.

I mean the game straight up tells you its bad and you're the villain so idk. Seems like a solid what if game set in Middle Earth.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I imagine they stopped trying to pay lip service to Tolkien in the second one because the first one barely tries to and kind of fails at it. It's just a fun game where you're Batman, but with a sword, and mentally dominate commanders who have often comical names. They do make it kind of apparent in the first one that you're becoming Sauron-lite in order to defeat Sauron.

EDIT: I wouldn't exactly call what you do in the first one "enslavement" but that's more to do with the limitations of the game engine. You pretty much just make mobs hostile to you ignore you and occasionally attack other orcs, which I think is already happening according to the story. The commanders come back at the end but they're far from your personal army. That seems to be changed in the second one, although I haven't played it yet.

Yeah the game's premise is pretty much 'What if Celebrimbor somehow survived Sauron's betrayal and could go on to forge a ring Sauron had no influence over?' Like for anyone whose into Tolkien stuff they know that Celebrimbor is a huuuuge piece of poo poo and the giant repeating message is that making an item that makes you better that everyone else is a real bad thing that leads to dark lords. At no point does the game treat it like your mind control over orcs is a good thing or anything.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 18, 2017

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
While we're talking video games. I hear tons of praise for Witcher 3. Will I enjoy this game not having played the previous games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Witcher 1 and 2 had horrible loving gameplay so if anything you are better off watching a LP of them or something

• Locked thread