Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

MightyJoe36 posted:

Great read. Talk about a twist ending though.

I felt better after reading it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Skelicopter posted:

Dirty John.
I've read about a lot of sociopaths, but John isn't a serial killer - though he definitely fits the profile. The fact his crimes were slightly less outlandish actually made the story more unsettling, in some ways, as they seemed less like something from a horror movie and more like something I can imagine happening in my own or my friends' lives.

drat fine link, what a loving nightmare. I think the insidious subtle nature of his evil is definitely too easy to relate to one's own life, as you said. Just the amazing way forgiving, normal people were utterly unprepared to deal with cold-eyed malevolence. Although I did feel like there was a bit too much forgiveness in that family in spots. That's me, though.

also extremely fun. I love weird things that people reason themselves into. Well, I hate it since it's still happening, but it's interesting and quirky when viewed through history. I have to wonder how small a push it would take to get a present-day guy to eat his exhumed sister's burnt heart, probably less than I'd hope.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
my mother spent twenty years in an abusive relationship with a guy just like dirty john and i know heaps of other women (and some men) who've lived the same hell. in the end the only thing that made john different to the standard abuser was his childhood, which wasn't just abusive and loveless but where he was actually consciously taught to be manipulative, ruthless and violent. that was where he went from being just a bad husband to being a career abuser who made a living out of it and was prepared to loving kill anyone who got in his way. that sort of absolute mess, as you said, most "normal" people just can't handle - because it's human nature to assume everyone is fundamentally good and the urge to forgive is just so strong, especially when they can fake love and remorse for long periods of time, that it can be hard to accept when faced with someone who's been so completely broken and twisted that the only thing you can do is get the gently caress away from them as fast and as far as you possibly can.

especially when they have a childhood like that. which they usually do, and they're prepared to play it to the hilt for sympathy points - which is a very effective tactic because they usually don't have to lie, they just tell the hosed-up truth and it's impossible not to feel sympathy for them. that poor kid was deliberately destroyed and rebuilt into something monstrous by his father; he never had a chance. one thing i learnt from my stepfather is that even though they may be "winning" from the point of view of outsiders - because they get all that money, they get the unwilling support of everyone around them, they avoid repercussions - the abuser themselves never thinks they're winning. they always still think they're the ones being hosed over. so they're locked into this life of perpetual victimhood where no matter how much they get from their victims, they always feel like they're entitled to even more and are being actively robbed of it - so they end up with all this stolen money and luxury and they can never even bring themselves to enjoy it because there's always the bitterness of thinking they should have had more. it is a miserable, awful life.

the old ceremony has a new favorite as of 06:05 on Oct 16, 2017

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Skelicopter posted:

Dirty John.

A long read, but worth it. It's well-written and the story is absolutely engrossing, revealing the kind of damage a single, pathological man can do to an entire family.

Incredible story.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol that the girl is supposed to have learned combat skills from The Walking Dead

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's an old story that plays out again and again, unfortunately, except for the ending. However, my question was, a nurse?!

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Amazon just turned Aaron Mahnke's "Lore" podcast into a video series: https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B075ZCM3MB/

Apparently the first episode is about

Besesoth posted:

The Great New England Vampire Panic

! (I didn't know when I posted that or I'd have linked it then!)

edit: it's possible they literally turned the podcast into a video series? It seems to just be Mahnke's voiceover combined with animation and spooky video.

(also, Mahnke sounds like he learned to speak by listening to text-to-voice programs. It's a little unnerving in and of itself.)

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 15:31 on Oct 16, 2017

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lol that the girl is supposed to have learned combat skills from The Walking Dead

I learned to go for the eyes from Baldur's Gate, thank you very much.

Pick posted:

However, my question was, a nurse?!

That's women's work!!! :wtc:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

the old ceremony posted:

the abuser themselves never thinks they're winning. they always still think they're the ones being hosed over. so they're locked into this life of perpetual victimhood where no matter how much they get from their victims, they always feel like they're entitled to even more and are being actively robbed of it - so they end up with all this stolen money and luxury and they can never even bring themselves to enjoy it because there's always the bitterness of thinking they should have had more. it is a miserable, awful life.

It really struck me when John went to the lawyer and, despite having initiated casework and ceasing to be a client in a fit of anger, he still felt entitled to the entirety of the fee--and that lawyer was so shook by him that he actually did it.

And it wasn't enough.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I find it doubly unsettling because the guy clearly was mentally disturbed. It’s easy to write him off as a monster but how should society deal with these people? Could some program of therapy saved him?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

That's an old story that plays out again and again, unfortunately, except for the ending. However, my question was, a nurse?!

I was kind of confused how someone like that could have become an RN too and they never really covered it. Was he semi stable at that point in his life? Nurses can be total morons sometimes but a dude like him seems more likely to drop out in a month and sue the school for something, not actually being able to function and graduate from a program that usually requires a lot of diligence and background clearance

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

I was kind of confused how someone like that could have become an RN too and they never really covered it. Was he semi stable at that point in his life? Nurses can be total morons sometimes but a dude like him seems more likely to drop out in a month and sue the school for something, not actually being able to function and graduate from a program that usually requires a lot of diligence and background clearance

The quality of some nursing programs is abysmal. Maybe elitist but I'd argue that ADN programs tend to let through more crazies than BSN programs and you're a RN either way if you pass the test. I definitely feel like nursing administration in hospitals cuts nurses huge breaks even when they're absolutely worthless and poo poo at their job. I've worked with some real massive trainwrecks and my bosses never did poo poo about it, including coworkers who were drug addicts and even one who was working at the hospital while in prison work release. I feel like male nurses get away with more as well, not 100% sure on why though. Now, being a nurse anesthetist is really difficult to get into and requires a ton of dedication and I guess it must have been the same in the past too? I assume he turned up the charm and really worked it out to get his degree. Assuming at that time he was just a sociopath instead of both a sociopath and a drug addict I can see how he might have made it through. He was a shitstain his whole life but until the drugs got in the way he seemed like he kept it together a lot better.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I find it doubly unsettling because the guy clearly was mentally disturbed. It’s easy to write him off as a monster but how should society deal with these people? Could some program of therapy saved him?

Well, our current strategy appears to be electing them president

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

A government program providing a long drop and a sudden stop might have been helpful.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

The quality of some nursing programs is abysmal. Maybe elitist but I'd argue that ADN programs tend to let through more crazies than BSN programs and you're a RN either way if you pass the test. I definitely feel like nursing administration in hospitals cuts nurses huge breaks even when they're absolutely worthless and poo poo at their job. I've worked with some real massive trainwrecks and my bosses never did poo poo about it, including coworkers who were drug addicts and even one who was working at the hospital while in prison work release. I feel like male nurses get away with more as well, not 100% sure on why though. Now, being a nurse anesthetist is really difficult to get into and requires a ton of dedication and I guess it must have been the same in the past too? I assume he turned up the charm and really worked it out to get his degree. Assuming at that time he was just a sociopath instead of both a sociopath and a drug addict I can see how he might have made it through. He was a shitstain his whole life but until the drugs got in the way he seemed like he kept it together a lot better.

it sounded like he only developed a painkiller addiction after he started working as a nurse, plus i guess being an anesthetist was probably super appealing to someone who liked having power over people

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Holy poo poo that Dirty John story. The end where Terra stabbed his loving face into braindeath made me literally exclaim "yes!" out loud and my fiancee asked what that was and I had him read the story. He had a similar reaction. God drat.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

quote:

Jacquelyn wanted to know: What if he goes after Terra? Debra didn’t share this fear; a psychologist had told her the danger was to her, not to her children.
Really??!?!!?
These people are so quintessentially "Orange County white people"

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Really??!?!!?

I listened to the podcast, it's brutally so.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Really??!?!!?

Yeahhhh. The ultra-christian facade aside, I could picture more than half of the people interviewed in this family as being the perpetrators of that "I planted drugs in a PTA members car to get back at them for a perceived slight against my child" case that happened in the same area.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tower time posted:

Yeahhhh. The ultra-christian facade aside, I could picture more than half of the people interviewed in this family as being the perpetrators of that "I planted drugs in a PTA members car to get back at them for a perceived slight against my child" case that happened in the same area.

what

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-framed/

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:wtc:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Really??!?!!?

Not being from CA, what does this mean?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

California is full of out of touch rich idiots.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

loving dumb as hell with money to burn having rarely to deal with actual problems. Like seriously, all the work they do is take years of useless money and circulate it in an insular community; most of those money comes from real estate. Do that for a few generations and you have an entire county of Bluths.

I'm not sure what that means in the context of that weird non sequitur, but that's what it means in general.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I know Polybius has beeen posted several times in this thread or the last one but heres an incredibly in-depth uh...long form video article? about it. Definately worth the watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7X6Yeydgyg

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Aesop Poprock posted:

They did say that the wife at the time was a nurse, so I imagine she mentored him as needed. I would also guess that he saw it as a route to drug access and so was super motivated to succeed. He may have been a monster, but he didn't seem stupid or lazy.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

It's not true of all of Orange County, but it does have more than its fair share of sheltered idiots whiter than a golf ball in a blizzard.

Solice Kirsk posted:

California is full of out of touch rich idiots.
They mostly cluster around the coast. OC, Santa Barbara, Marin, etc. The rest of the state is filled with shitkickers and methheads.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
wow you guys achieved "she deserved it for not being smart like me" really quickly, well done

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I mean, the dude showed up to events wearing scrubs, she was pretty loving stupid.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Can we not.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

This one is so crazy. And to think it all could have gone according to plan if the officer just assumed she was lying about the drugs like people so often do.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

fruit on the bottom posted:

This one is so crazy. And to think it all could have gone according to plan if she wasn't white.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I try not to judge her, people get blinded by love, smart people...and she was a rich successful professional. They just all felt like the stereotype of "upper class hyperchristian country-listening orange county white people".

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Well yeah, there’s that too.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Some people believe the best in others, unlike you assholes obviously

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pick posted:

Some people believe the best in others, unlike you assholes obviously

Expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised by people instead!

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
:yikes:

e: vv even very, very smart people are vulnerable to the sunk cost fallacy and the redemption fantasy.

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 22:03 on Oct 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

the old ceremony posted:

wow you guys achieved "she deserved it for not being smart like me" really quickly, well done

1) conmen don't make all their marks, they search out for the most likely, and they are a minority.
2) debra was the only one in the family who was fooled by this guy.