Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
yes, I know that bayer patterns are a thing we have to live with and that they’re fine Most of the Time.

but it seems that somebody would’ve put something like a foveon sensor in a digital cinema camera by now and at least tried to market it to VFX studios or whoever based on the increased color resolution, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

josh04 posted:

oh yeah that's a nice arri 24mm prime you've got there, allow me to place your £15k glass right here in front of this lovely loving three-way prism. optical aberrations? what the gently caress are those?

and let's hope you never loving drop this thing because if those sensors move half a millimetre out of sync you're going back to the clean room

which you need to fix your camera because there's a stupid loving block of glass in there

all because idiot nerds understand pixel count but not colour science

duuuh, my screen has a red green and blue for every pixel, so should my camera, even though the colour channels correlation 90% of the time and interpolation is perceptually indistinguishable from capture, i think we should have a full loving image sensor for blue pixels

polarisation???? who knows

tell

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Doc Block posted:

yes, I know that bayer patterns are a thing we have to live with and that they’re fine Most of the Time.

but it seems that somebody would’ve put something like a foveon sensor in a digital cinema camera by now and at least tried to market it to VFX studios or whoever based on the increased color resolution, though.

lol are you kidding? they would rather buy another 1000 computers to render poo poo than make something up

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

q: how do I render a bunch of green screen real fast?

a: pay a company that farms it out to AWS to do it

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

josh04 posted:

oh yeah that's a nice arri 24mm prime you've got there, allow me to place your £15k glass right here in front of this lovely loving three-way prism. optical aberrations? what the gently caress are those?

and let's hope you never loving drop this thing because if those sensors move half a millimetre out of sync you're going back to the clean room

which you need to fix your camera because there's a stupid loving block of glass in there

all because idiot nerds understand pixel count but not colour science

duuuh, my screen has a red green and blue for every pixel, so should my camera, even though the colour channels correlation 90% of the time and interpolation is perceptually indistinguishable from capture, i think we should have a full loving image sensor for blue pixels

polarisation???? who knows

i give it 3/5 pagancows.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

3ccd is garbo, just ask panasonic who sold their sub 720P camera that recorded 1440x1080 and still was too high resolution for what it could resolve, and had all kinds of noise and artifacts

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

besides 3 strip film process was garbo too so by transitive property cmos is most like kodak vision 3 film stock and has more DR anyway so get hosed

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

and since you have a scientific device capturing light photons in 14+ bits you can do HDR and have a multitude of creative options

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

george lucas was right, his version of star wars was best, brando its what plants crave, qed, etc, concordantly

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Doc Block posted:

the thing is, demosaicing algorithms are really good. aside from aliasing, you get pretty much everything you need and the operations which make it better from there (various blurs, sharpens, other filters) are a known quantity. the foveon design has all its own set of issues (as well as a few in common with the bayer pattern) and there aren't as well developed solutions to them. those 5 microns of depth might suddenly be more of an issue on a 35mm equivalent sensor with an f/0.9 lens.

Wheany posted:

i give it 3/5 pagancows.

i shoulda split it over seven posts, really

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Doc Block posted:

what is the deal with foveon? I remember reading about them in a magazine back when I read magazines and I assumed that technology was everywhere now. is it all the money to license or super loving hard to make the sensors or what?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Munkeymon posted:

what is the deal with foveon? I remember reading about them in a magazine back when I read magazines and I assumed that technology was everywhere now. is it all the money to license or super loving hard to make the sensors or what?

digital video reached "good enough" when red shipped a 4K sensor with 13 stops DR.

Now things are just getting cheaper, faster, more convinent

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Munkeymon posted:

Sony or arri haven't made it good yet

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

josh04 posted:

the thing is, demosaicing algorithms are really good. aside from aliasing, you get pretty much everything you need and the operations which make it better from there (various blurs, sharpens, other filters) are a known quantity. the foveon design has all its own set of issues (as well as a few in common with the bayer pattern) and there aren't as well developed solutions to them. those 5 microns of depth might suddenly be more of an issue on a 35mm equivalent sensor with an f/0.9 lens.

i shoulda split it over seven posts, really

o no i turned the sharpening up and am a go pro with ailasing becuase i couldnt make a picture profile to save my own big cinematic dick from being chopped off in the youtube adpocylapse

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Munkeymon posted:

They got bought by Sigma and they still churn out a few cameras here and there. You can get an image that is a ~40 megapixel equivalent out of a $1200 body, instead of having to drop $3-4k. It'll be sharp af, but the tradeoff is that it's worse at low light, dynamic range, speed, and focusing compared to the big boys. Good for shooting landscapes (maybe portraits), but that's mostly it.
It lets you win any arguments about who has the most hipster camera.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

pagancow posted:

Sony or arri haven't made it good yet

i went googling and found out that canon has patented a 5-blade razor that has layers for ir and uv in addition to rgb. it's coming out any... day... now.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

What about the Sony one without the antialias filter, the A7R. Any cinema equivalent of that?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

just dive on in to your alexa or red with a set of screw keys and take it out

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

spankmeister posted:

What about the Sony one without the antialias filter, the A7R. Any cinema equivalent of that?

sony venace motherfucker

https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/show-highend/resource.solutions.bbsccms-assets-show-highend-Venice.shtml

its rumored to have the A9 sensor which can drop full raster raw at 20FPS in a tiny body

Venice does 29.97 full raw drop

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

i like how when i talk its more anamorphic than others

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

pagancow posted:

i like how when i talk its more anamorphic than others

now do expanding brain

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You finally made a new meme :unsmith:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

I looks like garbage especially the lower light scenes but it's a decent movie regardless

irrelevant

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
whats your opinions on s-va panels

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

if it's not HDR its bullshit

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I want to marry this man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpWYtXtmEFQ

pagancow fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 21, 2017

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

blacks should be black. except when you don’t do a good job managing you dcp to rec.709 and how much shadow detail your willing to lose and if you care about the gamma 2.2 crowd or 2.5.

looks like marvel cares about 2.5

lol at blaming colorists for being consistent across 9 movies.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I wonder if this is going to be the new “colors are wrong in Star Wars “ movement

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

John fraveau is responsible for marvel cinematic universe and for Disney’s profits so he’s basically good and u suck.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

pagancow posted:

blacks should be black. except when you don’t do a good job managing you dcp to rec.709 and how much shadow detail your willing to lose and if you care about the gamma 2.2 crowd or 2.5.

looks like marvel cares about 2.5

lol at blaming colorists for being consistent across 9 movies.

wow racist much

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

ugh, seriously?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

pagancow posted:

ugh, seriously?

hey pagancow im just here chillin with my bud lucas at twitchcon maybe you know him???

he cut off his beard :negative:

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

pagancow posted:

ugh, seriously?

where did you get the stebe action figgie btw

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Search Ebay for "Steve Jobs Action figure" and there's tons of chinese sellers who dont gaf about likeness rights in the US

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
how do i grade and filter to make this

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

half the work there is just laying old-paper.jpg over the image at half transparency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

john carmack is integrating his own versions of video codecs in VR because most content is shot at 59.94 and he can see the judder every second.

He wants to scale the audio playback, and have the video play back at the refresh rate of the panel (which is like 60.25 on mobile for some reason)

:swoon:

• Locked thread