Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

BigglesSWE posted:

There is the implication that it kept him young and fresh, even in his hundreds.

Yeah he lived well past eleventy one. Actually didn't he sail to the west? Don't you not die over there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

BigglesSWE posted:

There is the implication that it kept him young and fresh, even in his hundreds.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shoehead posted:

Yeah he lived well past eleventy one. Actually didn't he sail to the west? Don't you not die over there?

yeah Bilbo, Sam, and Frodo all sail to the west.

its hard to say if its undying because no one dies there, or if its undying because its where the actually immortal elves lived and kind of stayed that way after Numenor sunk

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Hobbits are just fundamentally chill dudes with absolutely zero desire for power so its hard to corrupt them. Bilbo played pranks on his friends for years with the ring of ultimate power and when Sam wore it he was offered temptation to keep it in the form of a really nice garden.

Merry and Pippin became the tallest hobbits of all time (four and a half feet tall) after drinking Ent potions and probably lived the rest of their lives with hella groupies and smoking a bunch of pipeweed.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Once he gave away the Ring, he aged quite a bit. Also, cold turkey is a bitch.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

Hobbits are just fundamentally chill dudes with absolutely zero desire for power so its hard to corrupt them. Bilbo played pranks on his friends for years with the ring of ultimate power and when Sam wore it he was offered temptation to keep it in the form of a really nice garden.

Merry and Pippin became the tallest hobbits of all time (four and a half feet tall) after drinking Ent potions and probably lived the rest of their lives with hella groupies and smoking a bunch of pipeweed.

Sam also had visions of becoming Samwise the Strong, whopping rear end across Mordor with a flaming sword so he could turn it into that garden. Which is really the sort of thing that should have been in this game.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Monolith please release Bullroarer Took orc-head mini golf DLC.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I don’t see how it’d be sensible (not that the current setting really is) but I’d love to see some other places of middle-earth. Give me Moria, is what I’m saying.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

BigglesSWE posted:

I don’t see how it’d be sensible (not that the current setting really is) but I’d love to see some other places of middle-earth. Give me Moria, is what I’m saying.

dwarf fortress was made years ago my dude

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Caidin posted:

Sam also had visions of becoming Samwise the Strong, whopping rear end across Mordor with a flaming sword so he could turn it into that garden. Which is really the sort of thing that should have been in this game.

"I'm going to make righteous war on you so I can plant some loving rutabagas." is the most hobbit temptation of power ever.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Speaking of Dwarves, I ran into an Olog-hai who hated dwarves. As soon as he saw he he had me pegged as someone who would be nice to dwarves and I needed to be taken out, he was already a little bit unhinged. He wore an elaborate headdress and necklace of severed dwarf beards, and seeing as Dwarves are cool as, I decided to gently caress with him.
I immediately beat the poo poo out of him and shamed him, driving him completely insane. As he ran off he screamed at me, calling me a dwarf, (not a drawf-lover, like before). When I found him again he was attempting to beat up some ghuls to prop up his damaged reputation, or at least I thought he was. When I arrived he was screaming at a cage of ghuls, demanding to know where the dwarf who humiliated him was. I dropped in on him and he immediately screamed "YOU DWARF! YOU THINK YOU CAN JUST TUNNEL UP FROM WHEREVER YOU LIKE?!"
Unfortunately I didn't get to gently caress with him much after that because I guess all those dwarf beards were super flammable :supaburn:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So remember oglub, the branded orc that just said "where is it" over and over again? The orc that fought his way through the fight pits against an olog twice his size, who was wielding a weapon he was vulnerable against while also being five levels above poor oglub? The oglub that proved his worth in my siege, eventually becoming a general?

Spoilers, bruz questline: One of the absolute loving assholes bruz hired to help him stamped on his head and immediately killed him in the ensuing brawl. I'm going to rip your loving head off Bruz.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
420 smoke pipeweed erry day

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

The Lone Badger posted:

Might. Gain it by hitting people. Lose it by getting hit. When it's full, spend it on a special move (flash/consume/execute/etc).

Is it just me, or are the Brutal Executions really inconsistent? It seems like half the time when I get a double might bar and try to execute a fool Talion just does a normal execution instead. Luckily, I've got a badass flaming sword that gives me 10 seconds of unlimited Might after every captain kill, so I get to just immediately try again if it whiffs.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I found Rash the Poet in my game. He looks like a pirate, rhymes like a somewhat talented fifth grader, and has an Epic Graug Call perk.

He's my favorite.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
He's a brief tale of my most notable orc: Rug the Survivor.

One of the first captains I faced. Killed him once, he came back. Killed him again, he came back. Dominated him, he betrayed me. Went to kill him a third time, but missed the slow-as-balls-how-could-you-possibly-screw-this-up QTE and he ran away. He found me in a new region, killed him again. He found me in ANOTHER region, shamed him, then fought him again in the same, prolonged battle where I dominated two other captains. Had him down to the last sliver of health and he killed me. Got promoted to warchief of the region.

Rug, I'm going to surround you with spies and murder the gently caress out of you.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ConfusedUs posted:

I found Rash the Poet in my game. He looks like a pirate, rhymes like a somewhat talented fifth grader, and has an Epic Graug Call perk.

He's my favorite.

I have a Rash the Poet and he became my first overlord.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

Monolith please release Bullroarer Took orc-head mini golf DLC.

Clubbing orc heads at fuckers could be your throwing hammer equivalent, throwing rocks with a sling or just big overhanded baseball pitch's is your bow. Give me some drat hobbit DLC.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I just started Act IV and I, uh, kinda already miss Act II.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

LawfulWaffle posted:

He's a brief tale of my most notable orc: Rug the Survivor.

One of the first captains I faced. Killed him once, he came back. Killed him again, he came back. Dominated him, he betrayed me. Went to kill him a third time, but missed the slow-as-balls-how-could-you-possibly-screw-this-up QTE and he ran away. He found me in a new region, killed him again. He found me in ANOTHER region, shamed him, then fought him again in the same, prolonged battle where I dominated two other captains. Had him down to the last sliver of health and he killed me. Got promoted to warchief of the region.

Rug, I'm going to surround you with spies and murder the gently caress out of you.

I'm going to do this with Mug the Amputator when I finally get up to his level, although he isn't a warchief. At least not yet.

I still have to gain like 10+ levels though before he stops dropping me to a knee with one hit and then humiliating me.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

exploded mummy posted:

yeah Bilbo, Sam, and Frodo all sail to the west.

its hard to say if its undying because no one dies there, or if its undying because its where the actually immortal elves lived and kind of stayed that way after Numenor sunk

They still died. Death for Mortal Men is mandated by Iluvatar, and no power in Middle-Earth or Valinor can change that.

It's just a really, really pure place. The ring-bearers were tainted by the power of basically a fallen angel. They were healed of that wound, so to speak.

It's the Undying Lands because the Undying live there. It's not the Undying Lands because it makes you immortal (though that misconception is how Sauron corrupted Numenor).

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also what does it take for an orc to be brought back to life after being killed? Is it just random?

I had a couple of chiefs I wanted to recruit get accidentally killed but despite leaving them dead for a long time nobody ever came back.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

TMMadman posted:

Also what does it take for an orc to be brought back to life after being killed? Is it just random?

I had a couple of chiefs I wanted to recruit get accidentally killed but despite leaving them dead for a long time nobody ever came back.

Decapitation kills them permanently, usually. They can come back from everything else including decapitation some times

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Starting a siege mission. Enemy Overlord comes out onto his balcony to begin his pre-battle speech, but he has an Olog with him in chains. The Overlord makes a big, dramatic show of bragging that he found my spy, and then executes the Olog by throwing him off the balcony. I'm pretty confused: was one of my orcs his bodyguard and I didn't even realize it?

The screen cuts to my army. One of my captains, who apparently had the exact same thought, leans over to me and whispers, "Wait, we didn't have a spy, did we? Did he just kill one of his own?"

The siege begins. Before I move a muscle, the screen flashes "AR-GOLOK THE HUMONGOUS: ENEMY WARCHIEF KILLED."

GOTY.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

Starting a siege mission. Enemy Overlord comes out onto his balcony to begin his pre-battle speech, but he has an Olog with him in chains. The Overlord makes a big, dramatic show of bragging that he found my spy, and then executes the Olog by throwing him off the balcony.

The screen cuts to my army, where one of my captains leans over to me and whispers, "Wait, we didn't have a spy, did we? Did he just kill one of his own?"

The siege begins. Before I move a muscle, the screen flashes "AR-GOLOK THE HUMONGOUS: ENEMY WARCHIEF KILLED."

GOTY.

This is the game that keeps on giving.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Calaveron posted:

Decapitation kills them permanently, usually. They can come back from everything else including decapitation some times

But is it just time? Like if I accidentally kill an orc chief I want to recruit, do I just pass time for a while until he's back?

Like I left a guy dead for like 7-8 time cycles at least and he didn't come back. He just stayed dead on the army screen.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

TMMadman posted:

But is it just time? Like if I accidentally kill an orc chief I want to recruit, do I just pass time for a while until he's back?

Like I left a guy dead for like 7-8 time cycles at least and he didn't come back. He just stayed dead on the army screen.

80% of all orcs, minimum, never return.

It can take a long time for dead orcs to leave the army screen, don't get hung up about it.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Funso Banjo posted:

80% of all orcs, minimum, never return.

It can take a long time for dead orcs to leave the army screen, don't get hung up about it.

Well the dead chiefs I wanted revived have long since been replaced by live orcs. I was mostly just curious at how often the resurrect and if there was some kind of trigger.

One last question: does the dead chief need to stay in the army in order to revived? Or does he still have a chance for revival if his dead body is replaced and then he just shows up later when there is an open spot or in a new territory?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
:words:

I was under the impression that you cannot move orcs from one area to another. But there's a training order which lets you put them back into your reserve (same place where you store the orcs from chests). Said training order can also drop from the silver chests which you buy with in-game money.

So you can take your favorite bodyguard with you through all the zones if you get enough orders.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hammerstein posted:

I was under the impression that you cannot move orcs from one area to another. But there's a training order which lets you put them back into your reserve (same place where you store the orcs from chests). Said training order can also drop from the silver chests which you buy with in-game money.

So you can take your favorite bodyguard with you through all the zones if you get enough orders.

I'm talking about non-dominated orcs. And those can definitely follow you because Mug the Amputator followed me from one area to a brand new one.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Does everybody in Minas Morgul come with Iron Will because of proximity to the Witch King and all? Annoying if true, but kinda neat

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Hammerstein posted:

Worth mentioning you should not do this to any orcs who were promoted to leadership positions. They will be... displeased

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Sky Shadowing posted:

Orcs are probably still corrupted Elves. Not, like, evil elves (as stated in Tolkien lore there's really only one Elf who became even close to evil, though some of his sons were dicks, though that was more they swore a really stupid oath and God compelled them to do whatever it took). But elves so twisted and perverted they stopped being Elves.

Tolkien was in record struggling with where Orcs came from, given that only Iluvatar can create TRUE life.

Tolkien had several ideas that he liked to play with- though you’re right in that everyone (and Tolkien, for the most part) settled on “corrupted elves+other shady business like magic crossbreeding” as the probable background behind Orcs and their different forms.

One of my favorite contenders is the idea that Orcs were puppet manifestations of Morgoth/Sauron’s evil and malice, with no actual individual will or sentience of their own (like the Dwarves were before their ‘adoption’ by Illuvatar). Any individual acts of abuse/betrayal/cowardice/vengeance/etc between Orcs were therefore born out of that driving influence.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

TMMadman posted:

I'm talking about non-dominated orcs. And those can definitely follow you because Mug the Amputator followed me from one area to a brand new one.

Eh, that was not a direct reply to your post, I only wanted to drop that piece of info in the thread.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

Starting a siege mission. Enemy Overlord comes out onto his balcony to begin his pre-battle speech, but he has an Olog with him in chains. The Overlord makes a big, dramatic show of bragging that he found my spy, and then executes the Olog by throwing him off the balcony. I'm pretty confused: was one of my orcs his bodyguard and I didn't even realize it?

The screen cuts to my army. One of my captains, who apparently had the exact same thought, leans over to me and whispers, "Wait, we didn't have a spy, did we? Did he just kill one of his own?"

GOTY.

this can't be real, it's too amazing.

I keep finding new poo poo even after a week or so of playing though. Finding out bodyguards could get taken hostage when I summon then, shaming dudes into different levels of mania, coming across more variations of uruks "upgrading" themselves after a death or a victory. poo poo I'm even surprised at how many lines and pathways there are concerning them remembering what you did to them last, I haven't had any overlap with voicework or lines yet really. There have been similar common names but hey, maybe "Grush" is the orc version of John or James.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

New orc of the day: "The Poisoner". Ambushes me on a quest to poison grog, lectures me on how I'm supersaturating the grog and wasting poison. Orcs and chemistry DO mix!

Edit: vvv I forget his title but every line of one the captains started with "OKAY, OKAY!" That quirk I remember wasn't related to his title so it especially stuck with me.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 17, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I was really enamored with a guy called "The Lookout" and all he did was keep screaming "LOOK OUT, LOOKOUT" and when he had killed me "I TOLD YOU.....TO....LOOK....OUT"

Sadly he was killed easily by a gigantic Olog warchief. guess he wasn't really looking out

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

One stupid wish that I have for the game is that enemies could repeatedly cheat death and just get more and more hosed up and weak as the game goes on. Five hours later you are faced with a pile of somehow functioning organs being carted around by a goblin.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

DreamShipWrecked posted:

One stupid wish that I have for the game is that enemies could repeatedly cheat death and just get more and more hosed up and weak as the game goes on. Five hours later you are faced with a pile of somehow functioning organs being carted around by a goblin.

Enemies can repeatedly cheat death and you eventually get the ability to weaken and really gently caress uruks up. They never come back from death weaker tho like you point out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
you know what else has orcs trolls elves dwarves and colorful characters fighting over territory?

sixth world: shadow of run :v:

• Locked thread