Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SettingSun posted:

New orc of the day: "The Poisoner". Ambushes me on a quest to poison grog, lectures me on how I'm supersaturating the grog and wasting poison. Orcs and chemistry DO mix!

Edit: vvv I forget his title but every line of one the captains started with "OKAY, OKAY!" That quirk I remember wasn't related to his title so it especially stuck with me.
I've run across two different orcs named "_____ One-word" or something similar and both times its always been in a hectic enough battle that I couldn't pay attention to them, get murdered or flee, and I can't remember what their one word was. I think it was the same one, though. Then they go try to punch a graug in the balls or something and get murdered and now I'll never know. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

one of the funniest parts of trying to get a guy recruited was when Bruz got overzealous and ripped both his arms off before I could get to him lol. Bruz buddy how the gently caress will I support an army if you keep murdering these guys.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There's no way to summon a Fire/Frost/Poison Graug right? It's a shame they never seem to be used, you only ever find them in the open world and thus you can't bring them into missions.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

I've run across two different orcs named "_____ One-word" or something similar and both times its always been in a hectic enough battle that I couldn't pay attention to them, get murdered or flee, and I can't remember what their one word was. I think it was the same one, though. Then they go try to punch a graug in the balls or something and get murdered and now I'll never know. :(

I had one of those and they did vary the word up, "satisfaction" for the kill that got him promoted, a rather frightened sounding "unexpected" when I came after him later. He ran off crying decimation when I got him to half health and I haven't seen him since.

Honestly though, who are these orcs that don't know what the Gravewalker is by now?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

RatHat posted:

There's no way to summon a Fire/Frost/Poison Graug right? It's a shame they never seem to be used, you only ever find them in the open world and thus you can't bring them into missions.

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed that they aren't summonable. To be fair, drakes tear apart every orc that isn't fire proof, so it makes sense from a game balance perspective.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Speaking of Bruz, after his shaming he somehow became the bodyguard of a Warchief. His betrayal line was "It's HIS fort. It was always his!" I feel really bad about this. Worse, in missions with random allied captains he always shows up, going on about the fort. :(

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I finally found another Dush after the first got destroyed within seconds one hour into the game, by another captain. He is a level 44 Overlord. They really spaced out the names this game and I never heard the other variations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Caidin posted:

I had one of those and they did vary the word up, "satisfaction" for the kill that got him promoted, a rather frightened sounding "unexpected" when I came after him later. He ran off crying decimation when I got him to half health and I haven't seen him since.

Honestly though, who are these orcs that don't know what the Gravewalker is by now?

Yea I got the unexpected guy as well. I don't think there are as many unique orcs as goons are gushing about

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
The orcs are too real now. I feel like a real piece of poo poo shaming them.

Even the worst orcs who clearly deserve to die, I can't bring myself to shame them.

I wish the level restriction was removed, and they just dropped to your level when you recruited them.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

If I demote a warchief, have him fight in the pits to level up, then promote him again, will he betray me?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Vargs posted:

If I demote a warchief, have him fight in the pits to level up, then promote him again, will he betray me?

Dice roll, but probably.

The best way I've found to do this stuff is deliberately fail a fortress defense, then level your dudes and do an assault to take it back. I've never had anyone betray me that way.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Yea I got the unexpected guy as well. I don't think there are as many unique orcs as goons are gushing about

there's definitely a fuckload more than the first game, I'm still finding new variations and personalities after like 10 or 12 hours into Act 2.

After Act 2 do I get to revisit the other old areas?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I've been playing for 30 hours killing tons of captains and haven't seen the same title twice, though unless it was memorable I probably wouldn't notice. There are of course a finite amount of titles that orcs can have and if you play enough or restart you're going to see the same ones again.

DLC Inc posted:

You get to quick travel after you conquer your first fort.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DLC Inc posted:

there's definitely a fuckload more than the first game, I'm still finding new variations and personalities after like 10 or 12 hours into Act 2.

You can revisit them at any point after you capture your first fort.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zore posted:

The best way I've found to do this stuff is deliberately fail a fortress defense, then level your dudes and do an assault to take it back. I've never had anyone betray me that way.
When do fortress defenses start coming up? Are they random/semi-random events? Plot related? Triggers?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Vargs posted:

I've done this 2 times now and I haven't been betrayed, so who knows.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

When do fortress defenses start coming up? Are they random/semi-random events? Plot related? Triggers?

Its what Act 4 is all about, though there is one story one in Act 2.

Also note Act 3 is a really short transitionary act that gets you from conquering all the regions of Mordor into Act 4, Shadow Wars, which is all about Fort Defenses.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

captain innocuous posted:

The orcs are too real now. I feel like a real piece of poo poo shaming them.

Even the worst orcs who clearly deserve to die, I can't bring myself to shame them.

I wish the level restriction was removed, and they just dropped to your level when you recruited them.

Hell no. Shame them all because they might just change stuff. On of the first chiefs I recruited was a warmonger commander named Brug something (I don't actually remember the name right now but he's still alive). Not too long after I recruited him, he betrayed me and so I shamed him. His iron will didn't break that time so I hunted him down and shamed him again. But this time he turned from a common chief to a legendary chief and changed his name to Brug the Unashamed. He also changed his look completely and some of his traits changed plus he lost his iron will.

He now commands my fort.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TMMadman posted:

Hell no. Shame them all because they might just change stuff. On of the first chiefs I recruited was a warmonger commander named Brug something (I don't actually remember the name right now but he's still alive). Not too long after I recruited him, he betrayed me and so I shamed him. His iron will didn't break that time so I hunted him down and shamed him again. But this time he turned from a common chief to a legendary chief and changed his name to Brug the Unashamed. He also changed his look completely and some of his traits changed plus he lost his iron will.

He now commands my fort.

I had an Ork turn into "The Unshamed," I made him my bodyguard.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Last night I dominated a graug, stomped around Mordor finding collectibles, and then found another graug in a cave guarding the next relic. I then proceeded to order my graug to fistfight the enemy graug, complete with actual appropriate animations (not just doing the stomp attack in each other's general direction.) It turns out that when given an appropriately large target, graugs have a nasty right hook.

I love this stupid game.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Caidin posted:

Some of them were born yesterday, you know! (Or is that just the movie logic?)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

I had an Ork turn into "The Unshamed," I made him my bodyguard.

I had The Unashamed as well. Joke's on him, I shamed him again and he became deranged. I sent him to infiltrate a Warchief and while on the way to the mission site he ambush betrays me with a captain he kidnapped and slices his throat in front of me, yowling incoherently the whole time.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Calaveron posted:

Decapitation kills them permanently, usually. They can come back from everything else including decapitation some times

I chopped a dude’s head off and he came back stitched together and ranting about magic. Also bloated. It was kinda gross!

One of my followers I lost during a certain plot fight also came back out of nowhere to help me fight a captain, yelling that not even death could keep us apart. He has an axe permanently stuck in his head now. :allears:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I feel a bit bad for not remembering all the orks I fight.

"You and me, we are fated together"

"Who are you again?"

"Ugh Urgoth the Masher, from Al'uln? I thought you knew me"

"Look I'm seeing a lot of nemesises right now"

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Backhand posted:

Last night I dominated a graug, stomped around Mordor finding collectibles, and then found another graug in a cave guarding the next relic. I then proceeded to order my graug to fistfight the enemy graug, complete with actual appropriate animations (not just doing the stomp attack in each other's general direction.) It turns out that when given an appropriately large target, graugs have a nasty right hook.

I love this stupid game.

On this note mounted caragors have an appropriately badass execution on a drake. Mauls the bastards then proceeds to tear its throats out.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

My favorite orc is this captain who died offscreen like a chump to some spiders since he had a mortal weakness to poison. He comes back upgraded to Legendary as some kinda Nurgle priest, constantly going on about spreading his plague and poison across the world with his hosed up meltyface. He now has a poison weapon, poison bombs, poison mines, poison all over the place. But he still has a mortal weakness to poison so if his pinky toe touches any of it he'll instantly die. I recruited him, have used him in plenty of fights, and against all odds he has yet to kill himself.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Vargs posted:

My favorite orc is this captain who died offscreen like a chump to some spiders since he had a mortal weakness to poison. He comes back upgraded to Legendary as some kinda Nurgle priest, constantly going on about spreading his plague and poison across the world with his hosed up meltyface. He now has a poison weapon, poison bombs, poison mines, poison all over the place. But he still has a mortal weakness to poison so if his pinky toe touches any of it he'll instantly die. I recruited him, have used him in plenty of fights, and against all odds he has yet to kill himself.

I had a similar guy who wielded a fire mace, flamethrower, firebombs, and a horn that he used to call sappers.... but he wasn't immune to fire. He'd blow his horn, there'd be a cacophony of explosions, and then he'd run around screaming like an idiot until he put himself out and blew his horn again. :allears:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nazgul fights are bad and whoever designed them should feel bad. gently caress you, Helm, and gently caress your infinite unblockable combo and billion hitpoints. Spent 90% of the fight just rolling in circles like an idiot.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I kind of wish that the silver war chests were one orc (or possibly none) and two training orders which would have a high chance of getting the 'move to garrison' order.

I think it's way more fun to pick out an orc grunt and let them kill you to fill the army ranks than it is to buy them from a chest.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Found a new overlord who doesn't have great modifiers for the most part, but he's legendary and has both epic thick skin and the one that makes him regenerate periodically. Added a berzerker pack to him using a training order to add more harassment, I can't attack my own fort but he seems like he would be just about invincible.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
I found a silly use for the spiders you can summon. They can't climb things, but this means you can climb up somewhere, spawn your spiders, and then consume them for health.

Tasty tasty spiders

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Currently running a loving fightpit league to determine which one of my full board of branded captains get to fight the current overlord and have a chance to be the true overlord of their region, fun way to remove my army after all the Shadow War shenanigans.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there any reason to use the firepit ability that summons spiders vs ghuls? Ghuls seem better in every way(more of them, higher health, faster, both of them use poison ect.).

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

RatHat posted:

Is there any reason to use the firepit ability that summons spiders vs ghuls? Ghuls seem better in every way(more of them, higher health, faster, both of them use poison ect.).

Captains who are terrified of spiders.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Well yeah I mean for general use.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Spiders will kill Uruks while Ghuls actually have to attack them?

:shrug:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I've just started, I can't move more than about three feet without running into a captain and more often than not I'm ending up fighting at least two at a time. I don't remember it being this dense in orcs in the first game, and it's really starting to wear on me a bit to not have any breathing space. Is that just because Minas Ithil is one big active warzone in a build up city or is the entire game like this (or am I just freakishly good at running through packs of captains)?

edit: gotta say though I am super stoked that I can climb all the way to the top of this huge rear end tower no problem. More games should have unnecessarily tall things to jump off.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 17, 2017

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I think Minas Ithil is the smallest of the maps which makes the captains especially dense. It gets a little better once you're in other areas.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I've shamed a few orcs and they've come back wearing different outfits. That's interesting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Deformed Church posted:

I've just started, I can't move more than about three feet without running into a captain and more often than not I'm ending up fighting at least two at a time. I don't remember it being this dense in orcs in the first game, and it's really starting to wear on me a bit to not have any breathing space. Is that just because Minas Ithil is one big active warzone in a build up city or is the entire game like this (or am I just freakishly good at running through packs of captains)?

edit: gotta say though I am super stoked that I can climb all the way to the top of this huge rear end tower no problem. More games should have unnecessarily tall things to jump off.

I'm only like halfway through act 2 and I think my advice to new players would be to basically ignore almost everything except the story missions until after you capture your first fort.

Sure you can do some collecting and orc killing for fun or to build up some levels/skills (the collecting and celebrimbor challenges are good for skills), but to not focus on that stuff too my until the world opens up.

• Locked thread