Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

hihifellow posted:

I swear they pronounced it iv-aah-liss in ff12 but that could have been just Balthier's accent.

I cant wait till a dashing air pirate and his sidekick show up to help track down those thieving Bangaa in part 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Bremma posted:

So, I'm debating getting back into FFXIV (I was playing at Wilfwyb back at launch until I had to stop for masters). Does anyone know where to pick up Heavensward that isn't bundled with the base game? The SquareEnix shops being a pain, and I think that's how I got it all before so not if moving to Steam is a good, or better option.

I don't think Heavensward is buyable standalone now. It's bundled with Stormblood

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Bremma posted:

So, I'm debating getting back into FFXIV (I was playing at Wilfwyb back at launch until I had to stop for masters). Does anyone know where to pick up Heavensward that isn't bundled with the base game? The SquareEnix shops being a pain, and I think that's how I got it all before so not if moving to Steam is a good, or better option.

If you buy Stormblood, you get Heavensward with it, and you should be able to buy it from Amazon or something and punch the code in somewhere on Mogstation if the SQEX store is being broken. IIRC, Steam accounts are completely separate from non-Steam accounts so you'd have to buy the whole game and expansion set from Steam, and probably make a new Square-Enix account, and start a new character. So don't do that.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

Bolow posted:

I don't think Heavensward is buyable standalone now. It's bundled with Stormblood

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

If you buy Stormblood, you get Heavensward with it, and you should be able to buy it from Amazon or something and punch the code in somewhere on Mogstation if the SQEX store is being broken. IIRC, Steam accounts are completely separate from non-Steam accounts so you'd have to buy the whole game and expansion set from Steam, and probably make a new Square-Enix account, and start a new character. So don't do that.

Yeah, turns out I can't read and misread the Heavensward text with Stormblood as I needed that as well as the base game! Thanks! May get this set up this evening, we will see!

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

Bremma posted:

Yeah, turns out I can't read and misread the Heavensward text with Stormblood as I needed that as well as the base game! Thanks! May get this set up this evening, we will see!

:toot:

Also, I forgot to mention this, but join the Discord server and, if you're on Excal, join one of the goon Free Companies. If you're not on Excal (or Omega if you're a Euro), it might be worth rerolling or doing a transfer if you don't have a nice active FC already. People will pretty much always help you do dungeons and stuff first-time if you need, which is extra-nice if you're a DPS player and don't want to wait in like for 20 minutes.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Rastan Beeza posted:

Do we get to see/talk to Tiamat again? It feels kind of hosed that we get to estbalish relationships again between man and dragon and the WOL is content to let her brood forever. I KO'd your phantom bro, sistah, it's cool, no need to Nero the Sable yourself.

I wonder if she'll come up in a future expansion that involves Mercyadia. I never did see those last 2 great wyrms after all.

If I'm remembering correctly, there's a small bit with Tiamat in the Moogle Beast Tribe quests.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Spuzzz posted:

I cant wait till a dashing air pirate and his sidekick show up to help track down those thieving Bangaa in part 2.

It's times like this that make me sad that Urianger no longer shares a VA with Balthier.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/920395294264774658

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Bought stormblood because I'm an mmo junkie who needs a fix. Is endgame still grinding 2 dungeons for tome cap or did they fix the Heavsward problemz???

Also does whm still own bones???

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

ArtIsResistance posted:

Also does whm still own bones???

All the time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

White mage indeed owns bones still. I capped last week doing nothing but maps. We had piss poor luck for drops but got around 400k gil each night before the poo poo i put on the mb.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Exdr is now 4 dungeons

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Exdr is now 4 dungeons

4 new ones each patch!?!?!? Whaaaaaat

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I still roll Ala Migho every day.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ArtIsResistance posted:

4 new ones each patch!?!?!? Whaaaaaat

No no, they introduce either 2 or 1 dungeons in each patch and rotate the oldest ones out. Or something, we're only on the .1 patch of this expansion

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Bah! Well as long as whm is good ill be happy. I hope my server is still o-kay since I'm too cheap to shell out 20 bucks for the server transfer after paying like 70 bucks just for the expac + a month of gametime. What about AST is it still the high effort low payoff healer nobody wanted instead of a SCH!?

Actually better question how is sch, i hate that class and want the answer to be "hella bad" ty

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Good news! WHM is super good.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
A little outclassed in dungeons, but this is more commentary on how colosally stupid white mage is in dungeons than an insult to scholar. SCH + AST remains the highest DPS combination in 8 man content, and the recent buff to Succor makes it a lot less shaky vs. AOE damage. Noct AST + WHM is better than SCH + WHM though.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

ArtIsResistance posted:

Bah! Well as long as whm is good ill be happy. I hope my server is still o-kay since I'm too cheap to shell out 20 bucks for the server transfer after paying like 70 bucks just for the expac + a month of gametime. What about AST is it still the high effort low payoff healer nobody wanted instead of a SCH!?

Actually better question how is sch, i hate that class and want the answer to be "hella bad" ty

All healers are good and you should decide which to play based on glamour and spell animations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Scholar is alright. Holy is still the best aoe in the game.

Also, like i said, dungeon running is far from all there is to do to get tomes. You do not have to run a single dungeon if you do not want and can still effectively cap tomestones easily.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

ArtIsResistance posted:

SCH is good, AST is good after you get an aoe

funkymonks posted:

All healers are good and you should decide which to play based on glamour and spell animations.

Myself, AST glam is where it's at.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

jyrque posted:

I still roll Ala Migho every day.

I either get Temple or Drowned city. I've seen Ala Mhigo maybe 3 times and I haven't seen Kugane Castle since I unlocked it

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
temple owns, the fight against the fore/aft/port/starboard guy is the one time the game ever gives feedback to 1700 dps dragoons that they're doing it wrong, and therefore the one time you can concretely give dps poo poo without admitting to parsing

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
well no, it says the party was doing it wrong, which gives people plenty of room to completely ignore it

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

Well. Finally finished those last couple of DRK quests. Maybe I'm a huge nerd for saying this, whatever, but that was emotionally draining. Like, in real life.

Hell of a satisfying conclusion though, and holy poo poo, Fray! Holy poo poo, Fray showing depth beyond being kind of a bitter jerk! I was expecting more of a downer ending,
but "everyone" involved getting some measure of peace (the WoL included) was quite nice.

Now I have to bash out three other job questlines (SMN, SCH, and the last couple of MCH ones), which is slightly annoying because there's about zero chance they top that.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

temple owns, the fight against the fore/aft/port/starboard guy is the one time the game ever gives feedback to 1700 dps dragoons that they're doing it wrong, and therefore the one time you can concretely give dps poo poo without admitting to parsing

jokes on you, i'm a 3000 dps dragoon who still attacks him when he's parrying :smugdog:

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

GET SWOLE

e: more shameless plug for ultimate static, just missing healers and a tank now

https://catgirl.bargains/topic/213-ultimania-goon-static-extreme-savage-ultimate/

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Hell of a satisfying conclusion though, and holy poo poo, Fray! Holy poo poo, Fray showing depth beyond being kind of a bitter jerk! I was expecting more of a downer ending,
but "everyone" involved getting some measure of peace (the WoL included) was quite nice.

I spent the entire quest line thinking Myste was gonna end the 70 quest with summoning Harchefaunt for the WoL. I was fine with how it ended but I was kind of disappointed that the quest line went where it did but didn't bring up best elf except for a few lines at the end; wasn't until later that someone pointed out Myste is just a young Harchefaunt with Ysaile's hair. I'm not a smart person :saddowns:

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

hihifellow posted:

I spent the entire quest line thinking Myste was gonna end the 70 quest with summoning Harchefaunt for the WoL. I was fine with how it ended but I was kind of disappointed that the quest line went where it did but didn't bring up best elf except for a few lines at the end; wasn't until later that someone pointed out Myste is just a young Harchefaunt with Ysaile's hair. I'm not a smart person :saddowns:

Same thing, I was half-expecting that final fight to be against the people you've loved and lost, as Myste tries to guilt-trip you into submission instead of going the murder route. But then, why would Haurchefant's memories try to kill you? Whatever, it's really well-done.

Also, getting the beat the ever-loving gently caress out of Ser Zephirin was one of the more enjoyable things that I've done in this game.

Anyways, I'll bring another hot chocolate up to Providence Point later tonight I think. :unsmith:

Edit to edit: also holy crap go back and read the journal entry for that last quest

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 18, 2017

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

Shamelessly posting a recruitment code for anyone lurking that may want one :)

FXHESH36

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I have to admit I choked up a little reading Myste's last line.

In your darkest hour, in the blackest night, think of me, and I will be with you, always. For where else could I go? Who else could I love but you?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Fister Roboto posted:

In your darkest hour, in the blackest night, think of me, and I will be with you, always. For where else could I go? Who else could I love but you?

Reminded me of the Doll from Bloodborne when I read that.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

Fister Roboto posted:

I have to admit I choked up a little reading Myste's last line.

More DRK stuff: Well, setting aside whatever resemblance to Haurchefant and Ysayle they might have, Fray and Myste are both at least heavily implied to be the compartmentalized bits of the WoL's personality given form. Sort of like how in real life, you can't function if you're breaking down crying for your lost love (which let's be honest, Haurchefant was heavily implied to be) every five minutes, or punching people in the face because they're not giving you the respect you deserve, so you just kind of wall those impulses and memories off. Just like how we've molded the Fray part of the WoL's personality from raging selfish rear end in a top hat into the strength to persevere and look forward (which saves us in the DRK 70 quest), Myste, molded into the strength to show mercy and compassion instead of just surrendering to despair, is probably going to come back and save us from diving off the deep end into murderous rage in 5.0.

I'd also like to say that the light smile the WoL gives as Fray and Myste go off is one of the most :unsmith: things I've ever seen

edited to clarify a couple of things

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 18, 2017

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Has anyone else noticed they've replaced the Lochs town's themes with the generic Alarm Mhigan town theme rather than the Lochs daytime theme? A real shame, the introductory trumpets the first time I went into the Lochs were amazing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

More DRK stuff: Well, setting aside whatever resemblance to Haurchefant and Ysayle they might have, Fray and Myste are both at least heavily implied to be the compartmentalized bits of the WoL's personality given form. Sort of like how in real life, you can't function if you're breaking down crying for your lost love every five minutes, or punching people in the face because they're not giving you the respect you deserve, so you just kind of wall those impulses and memories off. Just like how we've molded the Fray part of the WoL's personality from raging selfish rear end in a top hat into the strength to persevere and look forward (which saves us in the DRK 70 quest), Myste, molded into the strength to show mercy and compassion instead of just surrendering to despair, is probably going to come back and save us from diving off the deep end into murderous rage in 5.0.

God the DRK quests are so loving good.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
Wasted even more gil and redid my middle and upper floors to add a dining area and a bigger 'secret' lair. Didn't touch the downstairs.
And I thought glams /minions were my end-game. https://imgur.com/a/x2E6e

Also Please Calm Down on Omega is a cool and good FC for euro goons. It has an even bigger weebhouse!

Griever fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 18, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Looks like the Encyclopedia is on sale if anyone was waiting for a price drop.

https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/421917/encyclopaedia-eorzea-the-world-of-final-fantasy-xiv-book

It's real good.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I wonder if you'll be able to break 200k by the time Stormblood is finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

One of my favorite things about the DRK quests is the journal entries in the 30-50 plotline. They're so good.