Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

ShinyBirdTeeth posted:

i loved that comic so much. did that guy ever recover from his crackup?

Dunno. I vaguely recall some drama and people getting super mad at him for something but I can't remember any details. I wasn't a regular reader though and only really caught his comics peripherally

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
i like fish magic

esp the kind that lets me eat fishes

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Starman Super DX

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

i like fish magic

esp the kind that lets me eat fishes

If Chef Paul were a WWF wrestler it would be called

Slammin' Magic

e: or if he were a Terran firebat

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 17, 2017

Tell me more!

Manifisto

l is for lurker, we're talking to you! :wave:

u is for u really should post because we like u

r is for what we "r" which is chill

k is for kindly tell us about your pets, hobbies, and minor sexy crimes

e is for everyone should post, it's easy

r is for really? did you need to ask?

ty nesamdoom!

City of Glompton

Manifisto posted:

l is for lurker, we're talking to you! :wave:

u is for u really should post because we like u

r is for what we "r" which is chill

k is for kindly tell us about your pets, hobbies, and minor sexy crimes

e is for everyone should post, it's easy

r is for really? did you need to ask?

Sprue

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:
all this said about lurkers (who i do very sincerely hope will post sooner or later) i want to recognize that byob is at a great place rn, and even if no one else joins our club we shouldn't worry about it. we're all doing a great job posting. all y'all crack me up to the point i have to chill myself so my housemates won't come knocking on my door asking me to keep it down in there.

SHVPS4DETH

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Starman Super DX posted:

Dunno. I vaguely recall some drama and people getting super mad at him for something but I can't remember any details. I wasn't a regular reader though and only really caught his comics peripherally

http://www.webcitation.org/6Nma8K40N?url=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/73258510/sad-pictures-for-children/posts/759318

that's the last thing they posted publically, decent read

i liked the stick figures personally

re: byob being supportive yeah it owns and i bet the ppl scared of this wonderful place are thinking of fyad

thanks to vanisher for the dope av

Starman Super DX

SHVPS4DETH posted:

http://www.webcitation.org/6Nma8K40N?url=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/73258510/sad-pictures-for-children/posts/759318

re: byob being supportive yeah it owns and i bet the ppl scared of this wonderful place are thinking of fyad

:stare: wow this isn’t even what I was referring to but holy crap

e:ty for the link btw

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 17, 2017

Tell me more!

Sprue

SHVPS4DETH posted:

... crap. i have no idea what's going on here but i hope this person got some help, something is clearly pretty hosed up in their life or head or something :( geeze, after reading half of that if i had been a backer i woulda thrown away my computer and let them have the blasted money

"I am making the loudest sound I know how to make."
this should be the title of a book by Miranda July. heck, half of this reads like something she wrote

Sprue fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 17, 2017

Manifisto

SHVPS4DETH posted:

huh

Sprue posted:

i hope this person got some help

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

SHVPS4DETH posted:

I used to think FYAD, BYOB and GBS were all kinda the same

Starman Super DX

Olive! posted:

I used to think FYAD, BYOB and GBS were all kinda the same

it’s kinda funny because if there were a chill spectrum byob would be all the way to one side, fyad would be on the opposite end, and gbs would probably be somewhere in the middle

Tell me more!

Sprue

what WAS byob like in the old days? i might be a :reg06: but i never got off gbs much

Ride The Gravitron

by FactsAreUseless

Sprue posted:

what WAS byob like in the old days? i might be a :reg06: but i never got off gbs much

I only ventured into BYOB when GBS shut down for a couple days and I'm super glad I did.

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
im gonna step on a newbie

Ride The Gravitron

by FactsAreUseless

Putty posted:

You should let a newbie step on you so you can help lift them up.

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
Tonight we are showing a creepy, scary movie from 1920:

http://psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew

I'm going to throw it on at 10 PM EST!

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Ah, the first horror. I've written many a paper on that film.

Starman Super DX

oh no, GBS just informed me that Mr. Lahey, beloved drunk trailer park supervisor, has passed :( sad stuff.

Tell me more!

Robot Made of Meat

Sprue posted:

all this said about lurkers (who i do very sincerely hope will post sooner or later) i want to recognize that byob is at a great place rn, and even if no one else joins our club we shouldn't worry about it. we're all doing a great job posting. all y'all crack me up to the point i have to chill myself so my housemates won't come knocking on my door asking me to keep it down in there.

I'm happy you joined us here, Sprue!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Ride The Gravitron

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZlfbep2LdU

Munchables

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Putty posted:

what the gently caress!

Munchables

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

HOW COULD YOU

Zeroisanumber

My cat decided that licking me with his rough-rear end tongue was the most important thing to be doing so now I'm awake at 4am. Prime posting time.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
pet that cat!

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Ride The Gravitron

by FactsAreUseless
Let the cat pet you!

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Munchables posted:

HOW COULD YOU

the photoshop brush powerup, more powerful than the gradient tool mushroom

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
hold my beer
*runs*

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle
Hey, hey. Nerds, if i wanted to "get" achewood where would I begin? I assume that at least twelve of you are familiar with this weird huge thing.

Twenty Four

Splatmaster posted:

hold my beer
*runs*

"Hold my beer!"

*stumbles, sits down, gives up*

"Uh, could you hand me my beer? Thanks."

Sprue

ShinyBirdTeeth posted:

Hey, hey. Nerds, if i wanted to "get" achewood where would I begin? I assume that at least twelve of you are familiar with this weird huge thing.

I'm told, not that I ever read it, but because I followed the old webcomics mega thread like sunday gospel, is the miniseries called "The Great Outdoor Fight".

Robot Made of Meat posted:

I'm happy you joined us here, Sprue!

:)))))

mister magpie posted:

Tonight we are showing a creepy, scary movie from 1920:

http://psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew

I'm going to throw it on at 10 PM EST!

I'm gunna try so hard to make it! There might be irl movie night/smoke weed/play clue at my house so I might be busy but on the other hand internet friends can't judge you for dirty sweaters and stinky socks

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit
So I started taking singing lessons about a month ago and I can really tell it's starting to pay off! My teacher says I'm a quick learner and a good student which makes me happy, and I'm gonna start doing two lessons a week.

I'm kinda shy/insecure about it but I've always wanted to learn how to sing. I'm not really very good yet but just learning proper form and technique I can sing much stronger than I could before. It was cool going to my lesson yesterday because I finally figured out how to use my head voice, and just feeling how it resonated when I put together all the little things I've been learning, I could immediately tell I was doing it right.

My mindset right now is that I wanna go in and impress my teacher every lesson. I started out from square zero pretty much and it feels good being able to tell I'm making progress. Okay bye thanks for reading my diary!

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

AverySpecialfriend posted:

So I started taking singing lessons about a month ago and I can really tell it's starting to pay off! My teacher says I'm a quick learner and a good student which makes me happy, and I'm gonna start doing two lessons a week.

I'm kinda shy/insecure about it but I've always wanted to learn how to sing. I'm not really very good yet but just learning proper form and technique I can sing much stronger than I could before. It was cool going to my lesson yesterday because I finally figured out how to use my head voice, and just feeling how it resonated when I put together all the little things I've been learning, I could immediately tell I was doing it right.

My mindset right now is that I wanna go in and impress my teacher every lesson. I started out from square zero pretty much and it feels good being able to tell I'm making progress. Okay bye thanks for reading my diary!
What style of singing/songs are you most interested in learning?

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Sprue

AverySpecialfriend posted:

omg this is really exciting! i've been trying to teach myself to sing in the last year but am too timid/lazy to actually take lessons so props to you. i just learned a few songs that are within my limited vocal range and enjoy the gently caress out of singing them. more recently i've been playing around with harmonizing to pop radio hits, mostly because i can't hit the notes they can, but also because i'm psyched on strange vocal harmonies. i also can kinda kinda throat sing, which is crazy and strange and feels eerie and is hard to do consistantly but easy to hit on occasion. i think i'm gunna try to go to a shape note singing meetup soon because i'm hella into old timey and shape note seems pretty simple. do you have any tips on learning to sing or songs that you wanna share that are good practice?

blaise rascal

Piano has been my musical hobby for years, but because I spend most nights traveling for my new job, I've taken up barbershop singing as something I can do in a hotel room and while driving. I'm currently trying to decide whether or not to go to barbershop chorus rehearsal tonight. I'm staying by myself in a hotel on a business trip, so this would be a way to keep myself busy, and the nature of barbershop is that you can generally go to the meeting of any chorus in the country (USA) and not be intruding. The problems are that the rehearsal is 45 minutes away and also I have to get up early tomorrow.

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit

blaise rascal posted:

What style of singing/songs are you most interested in learning?

Personally I mostly like poppy and indie stuff lately. My favorite artist right now is Mitski (who I'm seeing on Sunday aaaaaaaa!!!) and I've been practicing that a lot. Hopefully I'll be able to write music of my own some day! I play a bit of bass and wanna get a little synth soon.

My teacher is classically trained (and rly fuckin good she's a doctoral student at the local university) so I'm mostly learning nuts and bolts kinda stuff.

Sprue posted:

omg this is really exciting! i've been trying to teach myself to sing in the last year but am too timid/lazy to actually take lessons so props to you. i just learned a few songs that are within my limited vocal range and enjoy the gently caress out of singing them. more recently i've been playing around with harmonizing to pop radio hits, mostly because i can't hit the notes they can, but also because i'm psyched on strange vocal harmonies. i also can kinda kinda throat sing, which is crazy and strange and feels eerie and is hard to do consistantly but easy to hit on occasion. i think i'm gunna try to go to a shape note singing meetup soon because i'm hella into old timey and shape note seems pretty simple. do you have any tips on learning to sing or songs that you wanna share that are good practice?

Thank you!! It was hard to push myself to get to that first lesson but I just recently got a car again and remembered that I actually really love singing! I decided to look on Craigslist for lessons and it just so happened there was like a single ad for singing lessons and it was posted by someone super cool and accomplished so I took it as a sign that I should just get out of my comfort zone already and go for it.

My favorite songs to sing right now are "I Will" by Mitski, "Faded Heart" by BORNS, and pretty much anything by Grimes or Chvrches which I can never stop myself from singing when it comes on. Sing what you like to sing!

We started with really basic stuff - stretches and breathing exercises mostly. You can look up hissing and lip trill exercises for a few good warm-ups I like to do. Your vocal cords don't really have that much to do with your tone it turns out, it's all really in the posture/breathing, so if you don't think you sound good (I didn't), it's all technique stuff you can fix with practice and you'll be a superstar before you know it!

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

blaise rascal

blaise rascal posted:

Piano has been my musical hobby for years, but because I spend most nights traveling for my new job, I've taken up barbershop singing as something I can do in a hotel room and while driving. I'm currently trying to decide whether or not to go to barbershop chorus rehearsal tonight. I'm staying by myself in a hotel on a business trip, so this would be a way to keep myself busy, and the nature of barbershop is that you can generally go to the meeting of any chorus in the country (USA) and not be intruding. The problems are that the rehearsal is 45 minutes away and also I have to get up early tomorrow.
I stayed home

Dads Dip Cup

*strapping on parachute as I prepare to leap from a plane flying somewhere over Venezuela* "these event quests are getting ridiculous!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macnult

Runescape coming to mobile and functioning like Pokémon Go is a mere fraction of the working class revolt against banks