Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Now you get to look forward to their upcoming Star Wars FPS MMO with lootboxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'd get used to having loot boxes in everything, to be honest. Until apathy is put aside and people are fed up with them, they'll move on to the next benign idea and run it into the group with very bad implementation.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

EA already controls a Star Wars MMO.

I wonder if they're going to shutter that to clear the path for their inevitable Star Wars Destiny clone

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Visceral Games just got shuttered.

Boooooo. gently caress EA.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

what did they make

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

When is Wolfenstein 2 out god drat I can't wait

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Awesome! posted:

what did they make

Dead Space was the only really noteworthy thing but I really liked those games. Well, 3 sucked but that was also EA's fault.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H561RVqNy4s

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Awesome! posted:

what did they make

veni veni veni posted:

Dead Space was the only really noteworthy thing but I really liked those games. Well, 3 sucked but that was also EA's fault.

They were also working on Amy Hennig's Star Wars game so that's up in the air as of this moment following the news.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
They did a bunch of supplemental development for other EA titles too.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Manatee Cannon posted:

we were never gonna get a hardline 2 anyway tbh

:thejoke:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

We're never gonna get a good follow up to dead space.
I mean, after the ending to 3's DLC, was that even possible?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I've finally been hit by the infamous "Cannot download patch you must free up x.xx space" bug/glitch/whatever despite having 100 GB free.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

HGH posted:

I mean, after the ending to 3's DLC, was that even possible?

What happens? I never played the DLC and essentially forgot everything that happened in 3.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

veni veni veni posted:

What happens? I never played the DLC and essentially forgot everything that happened in 3.

Turns out the main characters didn’t die and actually the boss was able to summon the other moons and by the time you get back to earth humanity is already being wiped out and lol nothing you did in the past three games mattered

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Same day as Mario

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

haveblue posted:

For HDR, make sure every part of the chain supports HDR and has it enabled- the console, the TV, the game, any other hardware you may have between the TV and the console. The TV may have weird rules like only supporting HDR on certain inputs or with certain menu items enabled. The PSVR processor box does not support HDR and will need to be bypassed if you have one.

A PS4 Pro will look much better than a slim/launch on a 4K TV, if you can drop that kind of cash after the TV it's probably worthwhile to upgrade.

Thanks for the advice. Wow even though it's not native 4K, the jump to the pro version was big.

The biggest thing was that thr HDR wasn't washed. In horizon dawn zero, the bright lights and dark areas contrasted really well. Playing NBA 2K no longer looks washed out. The dark shade of blue on the Warriors home court logo was surreal.

Must have been a bug with my PS4 original or something. My tv recognized the hdr on it but it still looked washed out compared to my PS4 pro

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wandle Cax posted:

i was looking forward to that star wars game

Don't worry, it's still being made! :v:

quote:

On October 17, 2017, EA announced the closure of Visceral Games, who had been working on a yet-announced Star Wars title as early as June 2016.[5] EA reassigned the game to its EA Worldwide Studios, led by EA Vancouver, and said they will revamp the gameplay, which had been described as a linear, story-heavy title, into "a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency"

Funny story; EA Vancouver is mainly the EA Sports branch of the company.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Pod Racing, perhaps

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It sounds like they are taking a linear game and turning it into a loving open world collectathon.

Ew.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I remember the pod racing game that came out around the Phantom Menace being pretty fun actually?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Snak posted:

It sounds like they are taking a linear game and turning it into a loving open world collectathon.

Ew.

Something that might be worth considering, just for proximity, is that EA Montreal (Motive Studios) is where some cherry-picked staff from Bioware Montreal were transferred after it was closed. The Bioware division that created Mass Effect: Andromeda.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
That quarian ark landed way off course

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Snak posted:

Ew.

No they are turning it into a multiplayer, games as a service, loot box-based game, keep up with the times

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Christ just reboot either TIE Fighter or KotOR, is this so hard to understand

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Or ya know, let Amy Hennig make a loving Star Wars Uncharted for Christ's sake.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DrNutt posted:

I never knew I wanted this until now :stare::fh:.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's literally what she was doing until today. :negative:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah uh, sorry but about that

8-bit Miniboss posted:

That's literally what she was doing until today. :negative:

Lol

Ya know, if Activision Blizzard had the Star Wars license they'd at least be pumping out games, probably across all kinds of genres.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

How did EA end up with exclusive rights to the Star Wars license? Take me back to the early 2000s days of KotOR, Republic Commando, Jedi Academy, Pod Racer, and all that good poo poo where you had a billion different studios making their own weirdo Star Wars projects and they were all loving radical. The new Battlefront is loving lame and whatever stupid thing this ends up becoming is going to be loving lame too

edit: 2013, a 10-year deal. Ughhhhh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Money

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mandrel posted:

How did EA end up with exclusive rights to the Star Wars license? Take me back to the early 2000s days of KotOR, Republic Commando, Jedi Academy, Pod Racer, and all that good poo poo where you had a billion different studios making their own weirdo Star Wars projects and they were all loving radical. The new Battlefront is loving lame and whatever stupid thing this ends up becoming is going to be loving lame too

the only game you listed that wasn't published at least in part by ea is pod racer fyi

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Mandrel posted:

To be fair there was also a shitton of terrible garbage SW games too...some published by EA even.
I don't get SW battlefront either, they're super shallow, have hardly any lasting content, this has to sell on movie power alone. I bought the original for 5 bux on sale last week and saw all the game had to offer in like 3 nights. Who is spending 90 bux for this crap again this year? How are these mechanically inferior to sw battlefront games of 2 generations ago? Beats me but whoever decided on the vehicle controls of SW battlefront should be exiled to EA poland or something.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

When Disney took control of LucasFilm, they did not want to manage game development internally (they hollowed out LucasArts and it only exists as a shell to hold intellectual property now) and they did not want to make individual deals with smaller publishers for the dozens of games that they thought could be made from the old and new films. Electronic Arts was a publicly traded company with a diverse set of developers, which gave plenty of positive data for Disney's financial analysts and meant that they could just make one large deal and be done with it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DrNutt posted:

I know, right? I was really excited for what a Star Wars game by Hennig and Visceral might turn out like. Might have actually had an interesting SW game for once.

EA is the worst of the big publishers. Ubisoft does the most laughable poo poo, but EA seems like a generally miserable company that just shits all over it's developers and fans. It sucks because between them, activision, and Ubi, EA is really the only one that put out games that I like.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

the only game you listed that wasn't published at least in part by ea is pod racer fyi

aside from that we're obviously talking about a publisher's role in development decisions and not just marketing/distribution/localization, pretty sure this isn't accurate aside from EA publishing Republic Commando in Japan, and later doing TOR

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

When Disney took control of LucasFilm, they did not want to manage game development internally (they hollowed out LucasArts and it only exists as a shell to hold intellectual property now) and they did not want to make individual deals with smaller publishers for the dozens of games that they thought could be made from the old and new films. Electronic Arts was a publicly traded company with a diverse set of developers, which gave plenty of positive data for Disney's financial analysts and meant that they could just make one large deal and be done with it

yeah I know I'm just real bummed out about it and I want to live in a different reality

edit: only marginally though, life is pretty good for me tbh aside from the Star Wars game thing

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mandrel posted:

aside from that we're obviously talking about a publisher's role in development decisions and not just marketing/distribution/localization, pretty sure this isn't accurate aside from EA publishing Republic Commando in Japan, and later doing TOR

google jedi academy and you'll see that ea did publish it somewhere. that's all of them

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

google jedi academy and you'll see that ea did publish it somewhere. that's all of them

google jedi knight series and you'll see that ea didn't publish any of them anywhere so checkmate nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
How much of Mass Effect 2 is thanks to EA? Because that was a good game.