Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Basically WHFB went to poo poo the moment Nagash stopped being a clown.

You say this like he isn't still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Danimo posted:

The old dwarf models are still available? Also taking the release of new boxes and rules for models as cue for panic about squatting seems kinda wild.

As someone who is still fairly new in Warhammer stuff all the speculation/anticipation of GW doing bad things is fun to watch though

They don't sell their coolest hero models anymore. Its just a matter of time before dispossessed are out.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Dispossessed have some recent plastics, just like ghouls, so GW isn't squishing them yet.

They're just sloooowly squishing your ability to play those armies by atomizing anything they didn't squat and degrading the legacy tomes.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
fireforge has picked up the brettonian torch, modelwise. not that it was too hard, considering their aesthetic was 13th century france plus grail legend

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

fireforge has picked up the brettonian torch, modelwise. not that it was too hard, considering their aesthetic was 13th century france plus grail legend

I am sorely tempted to pick up their pegasus knights.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Midig posted:

Except that 40k is a futuristic setting, which means that updating the models will make it cooler nine times out of ten whereas in fantasy the new look is detailed sure, but not giving off the same wibe. Take a look at what they did with the dwarfs and tell me that you want that loving poo poo to happen to the Empire. I regret not buying the old dwarf models when I could. I had to buy Bretonnia models on ebay a couple of days ago. If you want to get/expand an Empire army, now is the time to buy it in panic.

Personally, I don't care for the new dwarves. I haven't seen much excitement for naked firemen, but people seem to buying the hell out of steampunk dwarves.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I'd like the kharadron if they had more models that share similar looks with arkanauts and less silly bubble riders.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I just don't understand why the designers chose spheres for everything instead of a more familiar balloon shape .

The spheres are really confusing both visually and just from a physical perspective. Like what is meant to be happening here?

For what it's worth, I really like how the stormcast minis look in person after changing up the color scheme on my own models

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I'm trying to come up with a color scheme fot my sigmarines for whenever I decide to strip them and I haven't had ideas other than "lol, just copy space marines"

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Booyah- posted:

I just don't understand why the designers chose spheres for everything instead of a more familiar balloon shape .

The spheres are really confusing both visually and just from a physical perspective. Like what is meant to be happening here?

For what it's worth, I really like how the stormcast minis look in person after changing up the color scheme on my own models

I've not looked at that from the side before. That centre of gravity looks really wrong.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Yeah, the way the model's sitting on the flight stand isn't taking gravity into account. Tilt the dude forwards and it'd look a bit better. Probably not a hard fix but dumb all the same.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Don't forget those floaty balls are full of gaseous gold, that's how they stay afloat. They make no sense from a model and fluff reason!

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Counter point, steam dwarves are awesome and cool.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

They're not steam, they're gold gas dorfs. Don't know why both Hardon Overloads and naked streakers had to have gooooold as the main driver of civilisation.

Now, if the updated Empire went all "just buy Perry WoatR/100yw stuff," I'd be game.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

JcDent posted:

They're not steam, they're gold gas dorfs. Don't know why both Hardon Overloads and naked streakers had to have gooooold as the main driver of civilisation.

Now, if the updated Empire went all "just buy Perry WoatR/100yw stuff," I'd be game.

"Dwarves love gold" is a trope that goes back as far as Tolkien.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

They just say that to get it into bed.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Dwarves usually have something more than "obsession with specialty gold" going for them in most settings.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Booyah- posted:

I'm guessing that's it's because a sphere is traditional way to hold natural gas.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

A lot further than that considering Tolkien's dwarves were pretty analogous to the wandering tribes of Israel.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

A lot further than that considering Tolkien's dwarves were pretty analogous to the wandering tribes of Israel.

Beards, big noses... :aaaaa:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

DiHK posted:

Beards, big noses... :aaaaa:

Yeah, Tolkien was...not particularly enlightened when it comes to racial stereotypes.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

How are dwarves wandering? They seem happy to stay put under a mountain.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Think about the Dwarves in The Hobbit though. Definitely some wandering there.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

JcDent posted:

How are dwarves wandering? They seem happy to stay put under a mountain.

They were, until they were forced to flee from their ancestral homes by evil invaders jealous of their artifacts and treasures. They then had to live in small communities in various human cities.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm guessing that's it's because a sphere is traditional way to hold natural gas.

It's defeated by the depiction of the gas being used to lift the dwarves, though. Gas floats because it's less dense than surrounding air, but it's stored under pressurized conditions, which is why you don't see helium tanks floating around.

It's really janky imagery.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

moths posted:

It's defeated by the depiction of the gas being used to lift the dwarves, though. Gas floats because it's less dense than surrounding air, but it's stored under pressurized conditions, which is why you don't see helium tanks floating around.

I get that, but his question was why they were designed round, as opposed to balloon shaped. I agree that the end result doesn't make much sense at all. It should be rocket packs because aether-gold is highly flammable in it's unrefined state - that would be bad rear end.

I just forged a narrative.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

On the other hand, not many people know about that pressure thing, so the designers don't really care.

So what's the deal with the stupid gold varieties the naked pervs and the sky beards are chasing? Does anyone know much fluff about that?

Yes, jetpack dorfs would be cool. Jetpack slayers would be cooler.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

moths posted:

We don't know that the gas is under pressure in those mysterious spheres. :shrug: Maybe in the AoS setting Dwarfs have forgotten most of their science from the Old World and everything now is weird cargo Cult stuff based on what they think ancient Dwarfs did.

Boy, Age of Sigmar could really use a setting beyond infinite dimensions of War.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

I'm glad professional designers never care about that bullshit the way nerds do. pressurised gas and my misshaped steampunk jetpacks :qq:

JcDent posted:

On the other hand, not many people know about that pressure thing, so the designers don't really care.

So what's the deal with the stupid gold varieties the naked pervs and the sky beards are chasing? Does anyone know much fluff about that?
iirc the gas gold is just magic gas, the oily slayers chase unrelated bits of gold that are possessed by pieces of gotrek/grimnir after a giant salamander wrecked his poo poo and there really needs to be an AoS emoticon I can end sentences like that with.

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 18, 2017

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Saint Drogo posted:

iirc the gas gold is just magic gas, the oily slayers chase unrelated bits of gold that are possessed by pieces of gotrek/grimnir after a giant salamander wrecked his poo poo and there really needs to be an AoS emoticon I can end sentences like that with.

The AoS emote is :dice: but with the GW logo.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JcDent posted:

They would if they saw a big frigging field of them:

You can't assume that because you don't know about them someone else doesn't either.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
gold boils at 2500 degrees celsius, so im guessing those suits are just a way for the nudorfs to trick their stupidest members into cooking themselves alive

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

We don't know that the gas is under pressure in those mysterious spheres. :shrug:

It's more that the imagery used to evoke "lighter than air" flight is severely flawed.

It's like if a fantasy fortress were designed with all the aesthetics and trappings of an aquarium because "it's where creatures live for their own safety."

It makes sense from a certain perspective, but standing anywhere else it's just dumb.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

moths posted:

It's like if a fantasy fortress were designed with all the aesthetics and trappings of an aquarium because "it's where creatures live for their own safety."

It makes sense from a certain perspective, but standing anywhere else it's just dumb.

I want to fight epic battles in this world.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I guess I would like it more if the ships weren't hugging the ground or had something other than lovely bubbles to generate lift.

Also, it's always OK to asume that GW designers know less that you.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
They're Dwarves in gold and silver armour who live in floating cities and mine magic gold gas from special clouds. Sometimes they fight alongside warriors who die over and over again in metal suits, or alongside tree people with tree tits. They often fight Khorne Noun-verbers, Giant Rats with Cannons and Orc's with stupid names who wear yellow metal onsies.

But those metal balls man.

(I like the Kharadron stuff, but I would prefer them without the helmets though :smith: )

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's fantasy. None of it has to make sense. Example:

How the hell would that thing stay afloat? majicks.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Elves, maaan.

So why are kharadron chasing sky gold by naked dorfs chase ur gold? Why are those things even called gold?

Are Kharadron just some hot taken on American MIC and its thirst for oil?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zuul the Cat posted:

It's fantasy. None of it has to make sense. Example:

How the hell would that thing stay afloat? majicks.

That thing doesn't make sense if you think about it but everything visually reads as a sleek aerodynamic vehicle.

Nothing about the Kharadron "balloons" visually read as light or floaty. They read as "this is a heavy chunk of metal technology." They look stupid. I don't give a poo poo about the floaty gold gas, it's just an idiotic way to represent that technology visually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

That thing doesn't make sense if you think about it but everything visually reads as a sleek aerodynamic vehicle.

Nothing about the Kharadron "balloons" visually read as light or floaty. They read as "this is a heavy chunk of metal technology." They look stupid. I don't give a poo poo about the floaty gold gas, it's just an idiotic way to represent that technology visually.

So the issue with them then is their look? I dunno, I think they look cool. I like that really heavy metal look, and despite it they're very floaty. I get it's not for everyone though.

I always imagined there was a capsule inside those metal spheres, like a balloon or something. The metal just goes around it for protection so they don't get pierced. I could be wrong though. Maybe it's filled with even tinier, even metalier dwarves that just fart gold gas or something and that's how they fly.

• Locked thread