Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Barudak posted:

Counterpoint, people deserve to die for not doing the dishes and this is one of the rare cases where we can legally make it happen.

so once i had a manchild roommate who kept not doing the dishes. it was a constant battle - if i didn't say anything he'd be like ohhh so sorry, i wish you had reminded me, but if i'd remind him he'd get pissy and say he would have if i hadn't been "rude"

so one day he's cooking and i'm like hey you gonna clean those dishes and he's like yeah after i eat in this real pissy tone. so he eats then he puts in a dvd and i'm like hey, remember those dishes? they might get a little funky if you don't wash them before your movie. so he tells me i'm "not his mom" and that i "can't assign him chores" and he's no longer doing them because i was condescending

so i walked over and hit eject on the ps2 (which belonged to me) and told him i definitely wasn't his mom, because i'm taking the playstation away until his chores are done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

"that candy bar was for company! "

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Drunk Nerds posted:

I just want to say that having a candy drawer when you have no kids is the lamest, most pathetic thing I can possibly think of.

Or its British

Can't be; no self-respecting British person would refer to chocolate as candy.

My [24f] brother wants to "lean on" me after his [22m] divorce but the circumstances surrounding it made me lose a lot of respect for him. I don't want to cut ties completely, just with hearing his constant self-pitying bullshit.

quote:

Unfortunately, my brother took his wedding as an opportunity to reconnect with his deadbeat father. His father ended up stealing money, gifts, and liquor from the reception and hasn't been seen since. Since then my brother has been making some really lovely life choices and responding to their consequences with the maturity of a toddler. After several ultimatums were ignored, his new bride has filed for divorce upon learning he's been cheating and now there might be a baby. One that he claims he somehow won't be paying child support for if it turns out to be his.

After she filed for divorce he showed up at her parents drunk, several times, until she called the police on him. He got into a physical altercation with the officers and ended up being arrested, meaning his truck was impounded. This left his finances in a wreck.

I'm not close with his ex but for whatever faults she has my brother instigated this mess by being a shithead throughout. I don't care how he rationalizes cheating on her or what he holds her at fault for. He needs to take responsibility for his decisions instead of fixating on how she was supposed to stick by and support his cheating, manipulative, self-destructive rear end.

My brother and I have fought about this every time he's come over or invited me over since. I've tried calmly telling him I don't want to discuss that, he knows my feelings on the topic. He thinks a "real" sister would side with him and feel sorry for him. I think a "real" sister would tell him exactly what I did: he needs to pull his head out of his rear end, take responsibility for what he's done, clean up his life and try to move forward. He won't stop bringing it up or working the conversation towards all of his self-inflicted problems. He says he can't just pretend everything is fine, which isn't even what I'm saying, and that I'm the only person he can open up to (which has nothing to do with poo poo-talking his ex, which he does do with his friends too).

He really does need support and help right now, he's pretty low and I wish he'd see a therapist. I don't want him to feel abandoned bc he had some suicidal ideation as a teenager and idk where his head is at late at night, etc. But I don't think sitting as a passive conduit for all of his bullshit is healthy either.

tl;dr: Brother is full of self-pitying bullshit over self-inflicted problems, refusing to take responsibility or stop whining about perceived wrongs causing his bad decisions to me. How can I provide support best?

The Pete approach to sibling relations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I work for Disney; Mom(50sF) promised her friend(??F) one of my free tickets to Disneyland. I(22F) don’t want her tagging along with us.

quote:

Hey, this concern isn’t as bad as some of the other problems I’ve read on this thread, so I feel a little silly, but here goes.

So, I work for Disneyland and they give us a few free tickets per year to bring guests over. My mom promised her friend a free ticket without asking me first. I told her to never do that again, but since I’m far, far away from any family or friends it’s not like I’ll be using all of those tickets anyway, and she already told her friend she’d get a ticket, so I gave her a pass on that. 

Well, even though I told my mom the days she’ll be able to enter into Disneyland(sometimes employee’s guests are blocked out) she decided to come during the week where she’ll only have one day where she can enter.

Working at Disney is kind of important to me, it’s my first real job and I love Disney but since I don’t see myself with the company forever I might leave soon for a different job. Plus the fact that my mom lives far away from me means this might be the only time I can bring her into the park, show her the sights since she’s never been to Disneyland, and eat at a fancy restaurant with a discount.

This is also the first time I’ve seen her in months and the last time I’ll see her for awhile. I don’t want to share Disneyland with her friend that I’ve never met before. I don’t even know her friend’s name.

I’ve texted my mom that “I don’t want your only day to be there also be the day your friend is there. The park is important to me and since it’s your only day I don’t want to share it with someone else.” I also texted her saying that I will give her friend a ticket for a different day.

My mom said her friend wouldn’t want to go alone, so I said that her friend can bring up to two of her friends. My mom then said that we’d have time to hang with just the two of us for two days before Disneyland, and that her friend is coming with us to Disneyland and that she’s an ok person and I wouldn’t mind her being there. I texted back saying “I don’t know her and I want to show you Disneyland but we’ll only have one day to do so. I’ll give her and two of her friends tickets for another day.” I also said that I’ll give her all the dates she can come and she can choose a date and bring friends. My mom said her friend wouldn’t mind doing what I wanted to do in disneyland. 

As a child, my mom’s taken me to Disney World a few times and she’s enjoyed it but I know that Disney isn’t a big deal to her as it is to me. I used to work for Disney World before moving here and she made no effort to come visit me on a day where I could bring guests into the park.

I don’t know how to express to my mom more so than I already did on why I wouldn’t want her friend to come with us to the park. I do have two other days with my mom but only one day where I can bring her into the park. She’s not trying to be malicious but I don’t think she understands how important this is to me. Maybe someone can view this situation with clear eyes and suggest to me what I should say to her because I’m not getting through to her.

(and since i tend to get asked this whenever I post about working for disney, disclaimer: I can’t give any of you free tickets or merchandise. You can ask me questions about the job, but I’d like help on my problem. Thank you!)

TL;DR I haven’t seen my mom in ages and she wants to bring a friend that I don’t know with her to Disneyland. I told her I’d give her friend free Disney tickets for another day but my mom won’t budge.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

maskenfreiheit posted:

so once i had a manchild roommate who kept not doing the dishes. it was a constant battle - if i didn't say anything he'd be like ohhh so sorry, i wish you had reminded me, but if i'd remind him he'd get pissy and say he would have if i hadn't been "rude"

so one day he's cooking and i'm like hey you gonna clean those dishes and he's like yeah after i eat in this real pissy tone. so he eats then he puts in a dvd and i'm like hey, remember those dishes? they might get a little funky if you don't wash them before your movie. so he tells me i'm "not his mom" and that i "can't assign him chores" and he's no longer doing them because i was condescending

so i walked over and hit eject on the ps2 (which belonged to me) and told him i definitely wasn't his mom, because i'm taking the playstation away until his chores are done

And that roommate... was Albert Einstein.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Drunk Nerds posted:

Just want to add that all-adult Disneyworld vacations are the lamest, most pathetic thing I can possibly imagine. Also, they always seem to be a product of a weird conservative off-shoot mindset where no one criticizes anyone in their own religion, therefore no one ever gets ashamed of having pastimes that are for 8 year olds. I'm sure I'm wrong about this when you look at the whole data set, it's just in the past year 3 different people I know took all-adult Disney vacations, and every single one of them is part of a religion that is based on never saying anything bad or questioning anyone.

Super-sad, and it makes me unreasonably angry, which is also sad.

The only thing lamer is a Disney wedding.

And that 22 year old trash monster wedding dude.

And fighting over your candy drawer as an adult, hahahahaha.

The thread is on fire this afternoon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Haifisch posted:

I work for Disney; Mom(50sF) promised her friend(??F) one of my free tickets to Disneyland. I(22F) don’t want her tagging along with us.

Its kind of rude to not want to meet your moms new wife.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Who What Now posted:

actually he became an english teacher.

(like, abroad, not a real one)

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I called the Texas Attorney General and made threats.. (self.legaladvice)

quote:

I called the Attorney Generals office here in Texas and received some information I did not like or want to hear so I hung up. I then in my angered state called back and threatened to come down to Austin, and kill everyone in the office. I'm living in Lubbock right now what kind of trouble am I in?

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

My [23M] boss [40sM] is a coroner and it disturbs me that he's affectionate and talks to dead bodies, I'm not sure of what to do?

u/Jeeperscreepersno posted:

I'm working part-time in a morgue, I do tech work and assist the coroner. I've worked with dead bodies before and with different people, yet this coroner affectionately talks to and touches the bodies as if they're alive. Ex: we had a girl come in who died in a car accident, when she came in the coroner looked over her face and basically "tsked" saying 'oh poor thing' then stroked her hair like petting an upset child, there was a body of a man that came in who got murderered and the coroner while doing the autopsy was chatting to the dead body as if it was alive and saying things like 'you must have had a rough life', occusationally he says 'goodnight' or 'good morning' to the dead bodies, compliments things about the bodies like their teeth or clean nails, we once had a deceased baby arrive and the coroner picked up and moved the baby as if it was alive while examining the baby over calling it a 'sorry little fella', other times if he accidently knocks into a hand or something of the body that might be overlapping the table he apologises to the dead body.

However he rarely talks to or interacts with living people who work in the building. He mainly talks to me because he has to while he never sits with or socializes with others. Besides talking to me regarding work he will sometimes say good morning or good evening to people when walking past them. But has chats with dead bodies? Also what I found weird is when a female staff member talks to him he immediately goes stiff like he will stand up straight, won't really look at her, and just answer yes or no yet causally talks to dead women on random stuff.

When he finds details about the bodies' personal lives or habits he'll chat to the body about it, he doesn't talk as if the body answers back but as if the body is listening to his story or comments. Its creepy especially at night. I don't think he's doing anything necrophiliac yet he talks to dead people more than living ones.

I'm not sure if anything can be done, its incredibly creepy and I don't know what to do or how i should react.

tl;dr: I'm assisting a coroner who talks to dead bodies as if they're alive, it creeps me out.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

maskenfreiheit posted:

I called the Texas Attorney General and made threats.. (self.legaladvice)

OP posted:

To clear some of this up, I didn't talk to the attorney General himself. I only talked to a random employee
Oh well in that case...

Werong Bustope posted:

My [23M] boss [40sM] is a coroner and it disturbs me that he's affectionate and talks to dead bodies, I'm not sure of what to do?
My condolences for being a bit character in a victorian mystery novel, OP.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Socially awkward coroner is actually kind of adorable, even though he is 100% going to have his own Forensic Files episode.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

maskenfreiheit posted:

actually he became an english teacher.

(like, abroad, not a real one)

That sounds pretty rad.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Werong Bustope posted:

I actually kinda like that he still sees them as people and not just...meat. I mean, it seems like he genuinely cares about his work, he's respectful, he thinks about how what he does influences others.

Maybe he doesn't talk to his coworkers because they are judgmental redditors.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

There was thread chat about adult Disney vacations a while back. Apparently lots of people are super proactive planners and minmax their ride orders and wait times and meals and poo poo in order to ride everything. It honestly sounded hellish.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Just get drunk and go to Six Flags, it's cheaper and has shorter lines

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Werong Bustope posted:

Hot take: this person watches too much NCIS and is having a vivid fantasy that he's working for Ducky.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

There was thread chat about adult Disney vacations a while back. Apparently lots of people are super proactive planners and minmax their ride orders and wait times and meals and poo poo in order to ride everything. It honestly sounded hellish.

sounds like leslie knope's wet dream

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
My crush accidentally sent me a nude. (self.dating)

quote:

I could really need some help of some redditors more experienced, than I am.

What happened: My crush just moved to a new appartment and wanted to send me a pic of her new room. Unfortunately though, she also photographed a mirror through which I was able to see her breasts shining through under her pyjama. I immediately deleted the pic, knowing that she wouldn't have sent me this on purpose, and called her out. At first I thought by deleting the pic, talking to her about it and then never mentioning it again this matter would be resolved. She is, however, still devastated and ashamed of herself and therefore the progress our relationship was making has come to a complete halt.

Although it's not my fault that I have received this pic I really want to help her get over it, also for the sake of our relationship. I don't want to talk about it with her anymore than I already did, but texting is so easily misunderstandable, that sometimes she still ends up thinking, that I'm talking about it. This one accident is hanging over us like a sword of damokles. Does somebody know how I could help her get over this? Maybe with a romantic gesture or sth. similar. Or is it really ony time that will heal this wound?

Thanks for your time and suggestions!

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 18, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Just get drunk and go to Six Flags, it's cheaper and has shorter lines

Hotter take, smoke weed and go to Dollywood. No lines at all.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

maskenfreiheit posted:

You must reciprocate with a picture of your prolapsed rear end in a top hat, it is the only answer

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Pick posted:

Yes and the Jaden Smith anime kicks rear end. For the first three episodes, you would like, what is this poo poo, and then after that you "get "it and then it is just about the greatest thing ever seen

Really? I watched like, the first two eps, mostly because Desus and Mero did voices, but wasn't impressed. Guess I should try to soldier through.

On a giant Toblerone note, my brother got stopped at the US/Canadian border when asked to declare anything he'd purchased. He said 'a giant Toblerone', and the border security were hassling him for being under 21 until he held up the giant candy bar to prove it wasn't some kind of liquor.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

is "our relationship" a romantic one or is op just realllly hoping

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

maskenfreiheit posted:

sounds like leslie knope's wet dream

She would just hang out in the Hall of Presidents the entire time

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

maskenfreiheit posted:

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

maskenfreiheit posted:

He should do what Karl Pilkington did

https://youtu.be/McDlB83Xpf8

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Clark Nova posted:

I know Americans suck at travelling but why grown adults with no kids go to Disneyland is completely beyond me. It's not like the US is completely devoid of anything else to do. Like, take a city break, go hiking in the Rockies, relax on a beach somewhere just don't go to loving Disneyland

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Having had to poke around dead bodies for school (and seeing others poke bodies) people usually either end up talking to the bodies or just treat them like meat. It's just two different coping mechanisms. Also, people in the former group usually treat bodies with more respect than the latter.

He's probably just a weird dude who has some social hangups. Working with dead people will do that to you.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Who What Now posted:

And all the dishes stood up and clapped

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

fruit on the bottom posted:

And all the dishes stood up and clapped

actually i just gave up and started keeping my dishes in my room

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

maskenfreiheit posted:

actually i just gave up and started keeping my dishes in my room

So he teaches abroad and you hoard dishes in your room. Sounds like he won.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.

Clark Nova posted:

It is. My sister did this on our trip to Disney. I've never been so exhausted in my life.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Who What Now posted:

So he teaches abroad and you hoard dishes in your room. Sounds like he won.

i also touch computers!1

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
My[26F] husband[28M] bought a vehicle I absolutely hate and I think it put me in a depressive state.Relationships

quote:

My[26F] husband[28M], we've been together 11 years, married 6 years, recently wrecked his truck. Funny enough, we were thinking of trading it in on a new truck anyways, but since wrecking it and getting a decent bit of money back on it he decided he wanted a 'sports car' and then wanted to pay cash for an older truck since we need one where we live, and we have a large boat. The thing is, I hate riding in cars - it gives me anxiety I feel confined to this small space low to the ground where you really don't have room to get comfortable. I know not all cars are like that, but the one he got is. When we first got together he had one and it was all new and exciting to speed around in his fast car when I was young, but within the first year or 2 of dating he got a Jeep and has since only gotten trucks. I've always enjoyed the vehicles he got, they've always been nice and roomy and especially living in Texas where everything is hours away it was nice to be able to get comfortable on long rides, not to mention the vehicles he got before, you could go anywhere in them like going down beaches or if you needed to go through somewhere in our pastures, there was no problem at all.

We argued alot about this car, it was probably one of our worst arguments honestly. We don't typically argue that much either. I had been showing him other cars that I liked and other vehicles in general that I liked as well hoping something else would catch his eye and I'd be a little happier with the purchase, but it never worked out.

Yesterday, we spent like 4-6 hours just driving around looking at dealerships to see what there was out there that he might not have seen. By the end of it, he went back to one and bought a car that I really hated. He knew I hated it, I had expressed it many times. He didn't care that I hated it either, he had expressed that many times as well.

Now just riding in it, I felt this tinge of dread the whole time. You know that feeling in your chest where it feels like someone is squeezing you and you can't breathe, that feeling. I still feel that feeling just sitting here alone at home.

Anyways, once we were finally going home after showing off the new ride to a few of his family members I wanted to go to one of my favorite places to eat as a 'pick-me-up'. We got there and they were closing early because business wasn't booming at the time, and I cracked. We walked back to the car and every single thing that I've been upset about for years has flooded back to me. My anxiety, my infertility and lack of children, my lack of having my own land to put my house on without living on family land, my lack of driving, my skin condition, and body pain. Everything. (Great now I'm all upset again.) So many things go wrong for me, and not many things go right. If curses were real, I'd believe someone cursed me. Right now, I feel so alone and all I can do is put on a mask and pretend I'm happy around people. I don't work and I can't drive so my contact to the 'outside world' is limited to my computer or the time my husband is off.

Last night, I asked him if when we get a bigger vehicle would he be upset if I wanted to primarily use that when he's got me with him. He really didn't have an answer. Then I asked if I still hate this car as much as I do now in 2-3 years could he trade it in on something we can agree on, and he said no. I can't win here.

At this point I'm just trying to find a new truck or something to make me feel comfortable riding in again for a price we can afford, drowning myself in video games and books, and hoping this depression passes quickly. I'm alone for now since he had somethings to take care of and I didn't feel like leaving the house. I feel hurt that my opinion was never taken into consideration, and upset that nothing seems to go my way. Things have just been building up to this point and I don't know how to fix it.

TL:DR - Husband bought a vehicle that I hate and it was the tip of the iceberg for me emotionally. I don't know what to do or where to start to fix it.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Why does she need to like his vehicle? Can't he drive something he likes and she can get her own drat car?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

maskenfreiheit posted:

This really feels like there is another piece to it or these two live in the most repressed part of the american south

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

maskenfreiheit posted:

My[26F] husband[28M] bought a vehicle I absolutely hate and I think it put me in a depressive state.Relationships

if you've been with the same person since you were 15 and after 11 years the worst thing you can say about your relationship is that you're driving a car you don't like I think you're doing pretty okay :unsmith:

edit: OK yeah :smith: i should have read it more closely.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 18, 2017

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

is "our relationship" a romantic one or is op just realllly hoping

"My crush". There is no "progress", either you are into someone or you aren't, you can't make progress on a "crush".

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Mirthless posted:

if you've been with the same person since you were 15 and after 11 years the worst thing you can say about your relationship is that you're driving a car you don't like I think you're doing pretty okay :unsmith:

Read the post again, dude. That lady is not okay and the car is not the problem.

quote:

Now just riding in it, I felt this tinge of dread the whole time. You know that feeling in your chest where it feels like someone is squeezing you and you can't breathe, that feeling. I still feel that feeling just sitting here alone at home.

Anyways, once we were finally going home after showing off the new ride to a few of his family members I wanted to go to one of my favorite places to eat as a 'pick-me-up'. We got there and they were closing early because business wasn't booming at the time, and I cracked. We walked back to the car and every single thing that I've been upset about for years has flooded back to me. My anxiety, my infertility and lack of children, my lack of having my own land to put my house on without living on family land, my lack of driving, my skin condition, and body pain. Everything. (Great now I'm all upset again.) So many things go wrong for me, and not many things go right. If curses were real, I'd believe someone cursed me. Right now, I feel so alone and all I can do is put on a mask and pretend I'm happy around people. I don't work and I can't drive so my contact to the 'outside world' is limited to my computer or the time my husband is off.

Last night, I asked him if when we get a bigger vehicle would he be upset if I wanted to primarily use that when he's got me with him. He really didn't have an answer. Then I asked if I still hate this car as much as I do now in 2-3 years could he trade it in on something we can agree on, and he said no. I can't win here.

At this point I'm just trying to find a new truck or something to make me feel comfortable riding in again for a price we can afford, drowning myself in video games and books, and hoping this depression passes quickly. I'm alone for now since he had somethings to take care of and I didn't feel like leaving the house. I feel hurt that my opinion was never taken into consideration, and upset that nothing seems to go my way. Things have just been building up to this point and I don't know how to fix it.

Yup. This seem like a fine relationship and not a lady who desperately needs therapy.

Unload My Head fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Three Olives posted:

"My crush". There is no "progress", either you are into someone or you aren't, you can't make progress on a "crush".

He never really mentions how she followed up the "accidental" picture. Like was it "oh my god please delete that sorry" or did she not say anything until he hardcore sperged out about it. Like maybe she was actually doing the texting equivalent of masturbating next to him in a tent and he did the equivalent of leaving the tent and asking reddit for help.