Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Takoluka posted:

I believe Nintendo owes you, the gamer, their games for free. And that's why, tonight, right here on this stage *crowd goes wild* I'm announcing the Jim Sterling ROMland EMUporium, featuring Edgy the Emu *emu mascot runs on stage* and Rommel the Ram *ram mascot runs on stage*. We've got Every! Single! Game! *tosses carts into the crowd and runs in circles* And all of it can be monetized! Oh my god!? *cat in Santa outfit with shreds of paper marked "DMCA" is lowered from above stage* It's Fair Use Claus! The holidays came early! Get ready for those $5 Steam sales, because games shouldn't cost more than that! *fireworks, followed by small cannons launching hats into the crowd* And for everyone here tonight, we're giving out our official Jim Sterling Tonight "Internet Nintendo Emulation Star" hats, because, much like the ROMs we're giving out, you deserve an iNES on your header. *mascots are running all over the stage as confetti drops from the ceiling* That's our show for this week. We'll be back when Zelda gets a good game again. Good night, everybody!

Mr Galt, this is a drive through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Failin Porte_Potty posted:

And I thought people went to lengths to avoid coming out and saying they hated my voice/face.

I watch all your videos blindfolded while hitting my head with a mallet, Phelous.

Failin Porte_Potty
Apr 4, 2017

Pounded in the Butt by an Outhouse Pretending to be an Internet Reviewer.
By Chuck Tingle

nine-gear crow posted:

I watch all your videos blindfolded while hitting my head with a mallet, Phelous.

Good to see my editing style has its fans too!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/immolations/status/911697552118042625

Well without emulation folk chances are a lot of game dev by smaller studios and most of game preservation/history wouldn't be a thing. If anything, the ball is on Nintendo's court to get on the level of old game compilations that other companies like Namco have done.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

cosmically_cosmic posted:

I thought Jim Sterling was meant to be good?
I think you might be making a dangerous assumption.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Takoluka posted:

I believe Nintendo owes you, the gamer, their games for free. And that's why, tonight, right here on this stage *crowd goes wild* I'm announcing the Jim Sterling ROMland EMUporium, featuring Edgy the Emu *emu mascot runs on stage* and Rommel the Ram *ram mascot runs on stage*. We've got Every! Single! Game! *tosses carts into the crowd and runs in circles* And all of it can be monetized! Oh my god!? *cat in Santa outfit with shreds of paper marked "DMCA" is lowered from above stage* It's Fair Use Claus! The holidays came early! Get ready for those $5 Steam sales, because games shouldn't cost more than that! *fireworks, followed by small cannons launching hats into the crowd* And for everyone here tonight, we're giving out our official Jim Sterling Tonight "Internet Nintendo Emulation Star" hats, because, much like the ROMs we're giving out, you deserve an iNES on your header. *mascots are running all over the stage as confetti drops from the ceiling* That's our show for this week. We'll be back when Zelda gets a good game again. Good night, everybody!

yikes

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Takoluka posted:

Do you need us to call someone?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

He clearly put so much thought and effort into that post while simultaneously never once thinking "is it actually a good idea to post this"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seriously, this thread has a tighter insane-rant-to-page ratio than the Middle East Thread of Despair, and that documents sectarian genocide.

Y’all need to get a little more relaxed about video games.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Alaois posted:

He clearly put so much thought and effort into that post while simultaneously never once thinking "is it actually a good idea to post this"

Nah, I had fun writing that up.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nintendo has feelings too, after all. They did nothing wrong!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i'm having fun imagining jim and john swapping places for one show

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOSUWFgLWGU

EA kills Visceral Games, and Jim loving Sterling Son called it two years ago.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Visceral is an odd situation because they were always an EA studio. EA never bought them like they have most they killed.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Takoluka posted:

Nah, I had fun writing that up.

:chloe:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Visceral was dead the moment Dead Space 3 flopped, EA just needed to get their backlog out of the way before capping them.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Spark That Bled posted:

Cool, but it still doesn't change that I'm starting to find it grating and repetitive.

You know what I find grating and repetitive?

Troll-rear end trolls who post poo poo like this: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694476&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=745#post477466471

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arcsquad12 posted:

It also sounds like they have killed whatever this single player Star Wars game Amy Hennig has been working on for 3 years. Knowing how the industry is moving, it's probably being turned into some kind of multiplayer MMOish game where they can make a killing on loot boxes

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

you sure do keep posting about that joke he made about a videogame company once

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It also sounds like they have killed whatever this single player Star Wars game Amy Hennig has been working on for 3 years. Knowing how the industry is moving, it's probably being turned into some kind of multiplayer MMOish game where they can make a killing on loot boxes

EA's statement on the matter strongly implied (to the point of really just being barely veiled admittance) exactly that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah, they're pretty much hedging all their bets on Battlefront 2 right now. Why make a Republic Commando 2? We've got a singleplayer mode! Why make a Starfighter game? We've already got that game mode in Battlefront 2! A new podracer game? Why would you want that when we've got speeder bikes! A game where you play as a Jedi? We've got Heroes!

They're basically promoting it as the omni Star Wars game.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

And yet it looks just as shallow as the first because these nimrods just wanna make a flashy game and not a substantial one, at least the original Battlefront 2 got it's MP revived recently.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

John Murdoch posted:

EA's statement on the matter strongly implied (to the point of really just being barely veiled admittance) exactly that.
Yes those press releases were not subtle at all as long as you know how to decipher corporate lawyer-speak

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Wow I thught my derails where I got accused of having nazi opinions were lovely

I mean is this just about Jim Sterling having pretty frequent bugbears that he makes stuff about or what?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Failin Porte_Potty posted:

And I thought people went to lengths to avoid coming out and saying they hated my voice/face.

At least you haven't done anything as horrifying as SterDust.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Motto posted:

you sure do keep posting about that joke he made about a videogame company once

You act like there aren't people who take his discourse as gospel and use it to justify piracy. I actually forgot it was a thing before I saw it pop up on social media over and over once the recent YouTube/Nintendo Creators Program or whatever controversy happened.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Are you seriously upset about people pirating Nintendo stuff?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Takoluka posted:

You act like there aren't people who take his discourse as gospel and use it to justify piracy. I actually forgot it was a thing before I saw it pop up on social media over and over once the recent YouTube/Nintendo Creators Program or whatever controversy happened.

Idiots exist so Sterling bad?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Terrible Opinions posted:

I don't like piracy in general, but it just plays into the whole gamer entitlement thing. Just don't play the game. I see people drop hundreds of hours into entertainment they put no investment in, with almost a sense of resentment towards creators because they might have to give them something for it. Then, they jump through a million hoops to show how they're sticking it to the man by getting things for free, instead of just not playing or watching whatever at all. If you've got some super statement to make, actually make one.

Like, if you've put 200 hours into Breath of the Wild on your PC via Dolphin, don't try and convince me that it's not deserving of your money. Even more so with games from indie companies.

It's a personal thing, though. I was just going ham with my earlier post for fun.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

guy with a Splatoon avatar who constantly, vigorously defends Nintendo is just having fun online

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Terrible Opinions posted:

In the end, aren't we all Nintendos?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Takoluka posted:

Like, if you've put 200 hours into Breath of the Wild on your PC via Dolphin, don't try and convince me that it's not deserving of your money. Even more so with games from indie companies.

That's not really relevant to what Sterling was talking about (however many months ago that was). He was talking about Nintendo's old catalog of NES/SNES games that haven't or won't become easily available as well as those that are only made available through the very limited quantities of the NEW/SNES Classic. There was also something about virtual console emulation and how it should be done better than it is.

If he at any point told people it was okay to pirate brand new Nintendo games liek BOTW, I missed that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

people get really loving furious if you ever say anything bad about Nintendo and it's really funny

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

TheMaestroso posted:

That's not really relevant to what Sterling was talking about (however many months ago that was). He was talking about Nintendo's old catalog of NES/SNES games that haven't or won't become easily available as well as those that are only made available through the very limited quantities of the NEW/SNES Classic. There was also something about virtual console emulation and how it should be done better than it is.

If he at any point told people it was okay to pirate brand new Nintendo games liek BOTW, I missed that.

He never did. You are correct in what he has said.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Christ it only takes one idiot to derail this goddamn thread because they'll fight to the death on some dumb argument. I'd post some more content but a) I want to complain about derails and b) I have a feeling if I put up another video then some other dumbass will spin a new derail from it.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I'll concede that my interpretation was invalid, and I don't work for Nintendo, so I'm not going to go to bat for them on a lot of the dumb decisions they make. If it was Sony, Microsoft, or even companies like EA or Ubisoft, I'd still say the same thing: sorry they put ads in your video, but they don't really owe you anything, so telling your viewers to basically do whatever they want with a tiny disclaimer is kinda dumb.

Sorry for derailing the thread.

e: I do have friends in the industry, though, so whenever piracy comes up, I'm like "Yo, either buy the game or don't. They didn't make this game as a favor to you."

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I would buy them if they just let me

(no the S/NES classics don't count)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Takoluka posted:

I'll concede that my interpretation was invalid, and I don't work for Nintendo, so I'm not going to go to bat for them on a lot of the dumb decisions they make. If it was Sony, Microsoft, or even companies like EA or Ubisoft, I'd still say the same thing: sorry they put ads in your video, but they don't really owe you anything, so telling your viewers to basically do whatever they want with a tiny disclaimer is kinda dumb.

Sorry for derailing the thread.

e: I do have friends in the industry, though, so whenever piracy comes up, I'm like "Yo, either buy the game or don't. They didn't make this game as a favor to you."

I don't disagree with that sentiment. When I heard about how the Cuphead devs put a lot on the line to make their game, I considered buying, even though I'm not that interested in Cuphead.

The piracy thing is a bit more applicable with instances where the game in question either isn't available through normal channels (licensing issues, import games, platforms that don't exist or aren't supported anymore, etc.). You don't have to have an SNES Classic to play Super Mario World when it's available through the Wii U's Virtual Console (don't know about the Switch). However, you do need an SNES Classic to play Star Fox 2. Otherwise, the only other way to do it is through an emulator.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

I don't disagree with that sentiment. When I heard about how the Cuphead devs put a lot on the line to make their game, I considered buying, even though I'm not that interested in Cuphead.

The piracy thing is a bit more applicable with instances where the game in question either isn't available through normal channels (licensing issues, import games, platforms that don't exist or aren't supported anymore, etc.). You don't have to have an SNES Classic to play Super Mario World when it's available through the Wii U's Virtual Console (don't know about the Switch). However, you do need an SNES Classic to play Star Fox 2. Otherwise, the only other way to do it is through an emulator.

The switch doesn't even have virtual console

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flkW-ceNvck

This dude did a video on the history of Action Park, every bodies favourite Jigsaw trap

• Locked thread