Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Leyburn posted:

Red Dwarf was really funny and the hitler actor was hilarious.

I liked the gag at the end about how he didn't even look like Hitler, which every single person watching must've wondered.

I'm glad RD still exists and is still essentially the same show as it was towards the end of the classic run, rather than trying something new to fit in with how TV works these days. Just loads of puns, and lack of budget - the way it should be. And because it's been back so long now, the fact that everyone is over a decade older than the episodes we know and love (and in HD) isn't really a distraction anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Rondette posted:

Hooray for Robot Wars!

Also, for some reason I am watching this ancient documentary about Peter Gabriel and suddenly Brian Pern is about a million times funnier.

It has some excellent moments of unintentional comedy, like stopping production on the album to go and play croquet, and going to a scrapyard in a garish jumper to record blowing on pipes.

Also, I'm pretty sure Peter is on the spectrum somewhere, it's almost like a bizarro episode of The Undateables in places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scmYG1Pv1_Q

I think it's just that 'public schoolboy who turned out not to be a massive oval office' is so unusual it automatically comes off as weird.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I had to stop watching the second episode of Louis Theroux' new series.
It's very well made, but it was just too depressing.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

mrfart posted:

I had to stop watching the second episode of Louis Theroux' new series.
It's very well made, but it was just too depressing.

Louis' question to the tent junkie in the first episode, making him realise for one brief second his addiction was robbing him of fatherhood, was about the saddest thing I have ever seen.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Khablam posted:

Louis' question to the tent junkie in the first episode, making him realise for one brief second his addiction was robbing him of fatherhood, was about the saddest thing I have ever seen.

Yeah that was hard to watch too. Not to mention the very young girl coming out of his tent later, clearly on a path to destroy her life forever.

mrfart fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 16, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh, Bake Off, no. Right, burn it all down.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, Bake Off, no. Right, burn it all down.

Why?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Liam was booted off this week, and it’s completely unfair.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 18, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

The_Doctor posted:

Liam was booted off this week, and it's completely unfair.

He did have a bad week to be fair. His rum tart was unbaked and his showstopper was garbage.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Liam was booted off this week, and it's completely unfair.

Thanks for the spoiler, mate.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Comrade Fakename posted:

Seriously, god dammit. It doesn't even come on 4OD until the day after so I don't think it's unreasonable to say "Don't post that stuff yet".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ah sorry, I thought the general rule was once it’s aired, it’s fair game.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Taear posted:

Seriously, god dammit. It doesn't even come on 4OD until the day after so I don't think it's unreasonable to say "Don't post that stuff yet".

Bet you wish you hadn’t binned your VCR now :colbert:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Sorry to see them go but objectively they had the worst week.

Does anybody follow up with Celebrity Hunted?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Comrade Fakename posted:

He used spoiler tags?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

He has now! I thought quoting him without adding them myself would be pretty stupid.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

WeAreTheRomans posted:

He used spoiler tags?

He edited spoiler tags in later, yea.

My thought for spoilers is that if this was specifically the thread for the great british bakeoff then yea, as soon as it's aired then why are you clicking before watching it? But as a more general thread it's not a good idea to post stuff until it's been a few days.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean I got chewed out a few months ago for posting, unspoilered, who won Taskmaster.

the first season

(thought it was fair enough, though)

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Rondette posted:

Sorry to see them go but objectively they had the worst week.

Does anybody follow up with Celebrity Hunted?

First episode was pretty good, seems a bit "fake" though, the amount of times the hunters turned up "just after" the celebs had moved on was a bit suspicious.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Comrade Fakename posted:

He has now! I thought quoting him without adding them myself would be pretty stupid.

Yeah , fair enough

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Slash posted:

First episode was pretty good, seems a bit "fake" though, the amount of times the hunters turned up "just after" the celebs had moved on was a bit suspicious.

Yeah, if you're watching Hunted you kind of have to turn your brain off regarding noticing TV fakery. In reality, the production company has no access to either CCTV or number plate tracking - and of course each runner has a cameraman with them who will always be reporting their exact location. Ideally, there will be a third over-arching group who we never see who decide when it would be realistic that the runners be caught by these systems and then ladle out this information to the hunters, but realistically it's quite likely that there's a lot of leaking for drama or whatever.

My favourite bit thought was when it showed the office being busy just before the runners are released. What are they doing? Are they trying to make out that this is some sort of government agency who chase people down all year, and we just happen to see them when the TV people need to be chased down? (And also the establishing shots continually imply that they're stationed in the Gherkin when they're clearly just in some studio somewhere).

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's definitely a fictional reality. Like 99.9% of 'reality tv'

Take it in that spirit and it's pretty enjoyable.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Rondette posted:

Yeah it's definitely a fictional reality. Like 99.9% of 'reality tv'

Take it in that spirit and it's pretty enjoyable.

This wound me up so much I had to stop watching. It would work perfectly fine if they were honest with how it worked, and when the cameraman slips them information. All this fakery is just patronising and potentially damaging by giving people false impressions about how these things work. Even if you know it's faked, it's gonna be hard to mentally sift through it all.

Although the woman who was convinced she had to hide her face from number plate recognition cameras on the motorway was hilarious.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yeah, if you're watching Hunted you kind of have to turn your brain off regarding noticing TV fakery. In reality, the production company has no access to either CCTV or number plate tracking - and of course each runner has a cameraman with them who will always be reporting their exact location. Ideally, there will be a third over-arching group who we never see who decide when it would be realistic that the runners be caught by these systems and then ladle out this information to the hunters, but realistically it's quite likely that there's a lot of leaking for drama or whatever.

My favourite bit thought was when it showed the office being busy just before the runners are released. What are they doing? Are they trying to make out that this is some sort of government agency who chase people down all year, and we just happen to see them when the TV people need to be chased down? (And also the establishing shots continually imply that they're stationed in the Gherkin when they're clearly just in some studio somewhere).

The bit I don't understand is when they "interrogate" the mates of the fugitive, and the mate isn't immediately just :frogout:

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

WeAreTheRomans posted:

The bit I don't understand is when they "interrogate" the mates of the fugitive, and the mate isn't immediately just :frogout:

This had me shouting at the TV. Like what the gently caress are you doing giving them all this information for no reason, you're not going to be put in jail for obstructing an investigation. At least wait until they offer you some cash...

Wouldn't even take that much cash for me to sell out my mates

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Dear Channel 4: Bring back Wanted.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

thehustler posted:

Dear Channel 4: Bring back Wanted.

Isn’t the Hunted just the same idea?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Which was the one with Annika Rice chasing people in a helicopter?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

The_Doctor posted:

Isn’t the Hunted just the same idea?

I think there's differences in the prizes and how things worked. Also it was a live show and as I've posted about a lot on SA as a broadcast/tech nerd I loved how it all worked for 1998/1999. links from moving vehicles, helicopters, the phone box stuff, and the early GPS tracking on a map. Shame it tanked really.

Most (all?) of season 2 is up on YouTube (s2e1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoHIlKcq5zw) as well a significant number from the Swedish version if any of you speak it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlsRZVs9nrc)

It will always be one of my favourite shows and Richard Littlejohn was actually good on it.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

goatface posted:

I think it was Challenge Annika, and dammit it was my granddad's favourite show.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No, that was the one where they fixed/built/did worthy things.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking of Treasure Hunt, where they weren't chasing people at all.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

goatface posted:

Not to be confused with ace helicopter show Interceptor.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I may have been conflating the two in my head.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
To be fair, it was still a pretty good concept.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
God, that was so long ago.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Kelly Brook on Celebrity Juice tonight, left me ruminating on her career. I think apart from getting work from her friends her tv work is basically over now? I heard she was on a US TV show but it was cancelled after one season. I’ve got nothing against her but she really is the ultimate example of how far looks alone can get you.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Kelly Brook on Celebrity Juice tonight, left me ruminating on her career. I think apart from getting work from her friends her tv work is basically over now? I heard she was on a US TV show but it was cancelled after one season. I’ve got nothing against her but she really is the ultimate example of how far looks alone can get you.

Well she's a beautiful multi-millionaire, so it's not all bad

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
she was pushed into that role on the Big Breakfast without being even remotely ready for which she was brutally panned, and somehow carved out a niche career, made a complete fortune and is still gorgeous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
She’s had an underwear and swimwear line and has that kind of Instagram fame that somehow translates into a lot of money. As long as the tabloids are interested she’ll do ok out of it.