Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

joem83 posted:

Crayfish can become endangered? I figured those were basically water cockroaches.

they evolved without predators, then someone introduced a bunch of trout and salmon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Tell us about walleye fishing! I have no experience with it, but I associate it with Great Lakes fishing. I've never lived in the upper midwest, but it seems like a whole different beast with a bunch of inland seas all over the place.

I live next to the St. Clair River, which connects Lake Huron and Lake St. Clair (which is a Musky heaven). The St. Clair river has a lot of walleye in it, so it's what I am going for most of the time for eating fish.

We basically do one of two methods;
1) in a boat - you'll drag a bottom bouncers along the river bottom (2oz), and then have a 36" or longer worm harness trailing it with a worm. Let the current drift you along and wait for a bite.

2) from shore- cast straight out a 3-4" 'Mr.Twister' with a 3/8oz head, let the current take it for a bit, and then a steady retrieve with your rod tip down to keep the twister running low along the bottom.

Then wait for a fish with either method.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Rape Stink posted:

Many pics of excellent fish

These are excellent pics of excellent fish, forums user "Rape Stink."

Sockington posted:

I live next to the St. Clair River, which connects Lake Huron and Lake St. Clair (which is a Musky heaven). The St. Clair river has a lot of walleye in it, so it's what I am going for most of the time for eating fish.

Awesome, thanks! What's your favorite way to eat walleye? Seems like it would be good in the smoker.

joem83 posted:

You saltwater fisherman, question for ya. How sensitive is "freshwater" gear to salt? I ask because I've taken my Lew's baitcaster combo out to fish the bay a couple times. The first time I went, I was high + maybe a little bit drunk, and I lost my footing on the rip rap. I fell, my rear end went into the water, and my entire rod/reel went into the water. I rinsed it thoroughly and oiled all the parts I could without completely disassembling it, but it developed a squeak and now I'm all paranoid to take it back out to the salt.

A brief dunk shouldn't kill it, and you did the right thing by rinsing it right away. You might keep oiling it and working the action to make the squeak go away, but if it feels like it's seizing up that's bad news. If it works and it just squeaks, though, maybe that is now your designated saltwater reel since it has already been baptized.

I want to ask the thread's opinion about something. More than one surf perch guide I've read have recommended 20-30 lb. test for mainline, but that seems excessive to me since the chances of catching a surf perch >4lbs are virtually zero. I use 8 lb. braid and haven't experienced any problems, even when casting 4oz sinkers. Am I asking for trouble?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

A dunk in saltwater can mess with even saltwater reels. The one time I did that, the fix required completely disassembling and rinsing/re-greasing the entire reel.

One thing to try is soaking it in a bucket of water to dissolve any salt. Sometimes it's just a matter of removing salt residue.

Edit: I don't fish for surf perch, but 30# line for any < 4 lb. fish from the beach sounds really excessive to me unless the surf is really intense, in which case I would use a heavier braid so as not to kill cast distance. 8# line to toss 4 oz. sinkers does strike me as a bit light though, but if it's working for you I wouldn't sweat it. It probably has a breaking strength a good bit higher than 8 lbs.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 12, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Those are some nice fish dude!

Except for the one I quoted, it's paint job is melting off.

I know it's just the lighting

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Also 8lb braid with a 4oz sinker tied on it sounds like a weapon from a Shaw Brothers kungfu movie or like a redneck version of a monofilament whip from Shadowrun.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Also 8lb braid with a 4oz sinker tied on it sounds like a weapon from a Shaw Brothers kungfu movie or like a redneck version of a monofilament whip from Shadowrun.

It will certainly slice the poo poo out of your (my) finger when you're (I'm) casting if you're (I'm) not careful. A good way to remind yourself that you are made of meat. And it was a reoccurring theme in my group's Shadowrun game to have monofilament shoelaces for casual, stealthy garroting.

Anyway, I tie my SP rigs/terminal tackle with 20lb test flouro for shock absorption. There isn't much danger of accidentally catching something huge on the Washington coast unless you get deep. 8 lb braid mainline seems to me like it should be enough, but I'm usually inclined to go as light as possible and might not be taking all things into account.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Enigma posted:

One thing to try is soaking it in a bucket of water to dissolve any salt. Sometimes it's just a matter of removing salt residue.

If you do this you really need to take the reel apart afterwards because freshwater is pretty bad for reel internal components as well. It is a good idea to dunk it in freshwater if you've got it full of salt and won't be able to do a full service for a few days though

It will certainly slice the poo poo out of your (my) finger when you're (I'm) casting if you're (I'm) not careful. A good way to remind yourself that you are made of meat. And it was a reoccurring theme in my group's Shadowrun game to have monofilament shoelaces for casual, stealthy garroting.

Anyway, I tie my SP rigs/terminal tackle with 20lb test flouro for shock absorption. There isn't much danger of accidentally catching something huge on the Washington coast unless you get deep. 8 lb braid mainline seems to me like it should be enough, but I'm usually inclined to go as light as possible and might not be taking all things into account.

Fluorocarbon doesn't have much stretch, you'd be better to use a mono shock leader for that. You can still tie your rig from fluoro though if the lower visibility improves your catch rate.The rule of thumb I've been taught (which could be completely wrong, who knows) is 10lb for every ounce of sinker weight, so for a 4oz lead I'd be using 40lb shock leader, for 6oz, 60lb. With shock leader you generally want enough for a couple of wraps around the spool as you cast because the most strain is put on the line as the rod is loading up during the cast, before any line comes off the spool. This should solve your problem of cutting your fingers too on the mainline too.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

gay picnic defence posted:

If you do this you really need to take the reel apart afterwards because freshwater is pretty bad for reel internal components as well.

I can't tell how I feel about this, I go kayak fishing in a bunch of brackish rivers with old men who's post fishing routine is to take a garden hose to all their gear and let it drip dry in the garage. Some of them have been doing it for decades now with no ill effects. I know old fiber drags would get ruined by being stored wet but the modern ones are supposed to be non-absorbent. I try to hose my poo poo down when it has been used in salt or if I take it wading, but I am mostly worried about grit.

I have a Stradic FJ that has been used in brackish water with no maintenance beyond the occasional hose off for about four years now, i'm just recently noticing a little resistance in moving the handle, so I'm going to send it off to get it serviced, I will be curious to see what the guy says when he gets it open.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

These are excellent pics of excellent fish, forums user "Rape Stink."

Awesome, thanks! What's your favorite way to eat walleye? Seems like it would be good in the smoker.

A brief dunk shouldn't kill it, and you did the right thing by rinsing it right away. You might keep oiling it and working the action to make the squeak go away, but if it feels like it's seizing up that's bad news. If it works and it just squeaks, though, maybe that is now your designated saltwater reel since it has already been baptized.

I want to ask the thread's opinion about something. More than one surf perch guide I've read have recommended 20-30 lb. test for mainline, but that seems excessive to me since the chances of catching a surf perch >4lbs are virtually zero. I use 8 lb. braid and haven't experienced any problems, even when casting 4oz sinkers. Am I asking for trouble?

Walleye isn't really fatty like bass, so smoking isn't done as often. I usually just lightly flour it with a few seasonings and fry it up. The meat is really muscley vs like a soft bass meat, so they are super easy to clean perfectly. I think I've cleaned 60+ walleye this year alone, and have yet to leave a bone in a single fillet.

Not to say cleaning bass is hard, but the meat is so much mushier, even from cold water. Yellow Perch clean the same as walleye but you need a pile of them for a meal.

I use 15lb braid for all my shore and boat stuff. I don't tackle Muskie or pike, so I don't really need to the 50 lb stuff in the boat.

I went out this morning before work and got a smaller walleye and a rock bass (which is the mushiest of all bass meat seemingly, so never keep them).

Weapon of choice from shore;

Local regs;

I had seen the walleye snag a few minnows near the corner breakwall I was fishing from, and had him take a nibble when I gave my jig quick dip into the water but he wasn't biting hard enough to get him. Walked down the breakwall back to the boat ramp (about 15 feet), and began casting out the boat ramp and pulling up the shallow ramp. Normally I cast hard sort of 45* out with the current and pull it in straight along the shore hunting my Waldos.

The satisfaction when he grabbed on my second cast is unparalleled. "I adapted and it worked. Holy poo poo"

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

I can't tell how I feel about this, I go kayak fishing in a bunch of brackish rivers with old men who's post fishing routine is to take a garden hose to all their gear and let it drip dry in the garage. Some of them have been doing it for decades now with no ill effects. I know old fiber drags would get ruined by being stored wet but the modern ones are supposed to be non-absorbent. I try to hose my poo poo down when it has been used in salt or if I take it wading, but I am mostly worried about grit.

I have a Stradic FJ that has been used in brackish water with no maintenance beyond the occasional hose off for about four years now, i'm just recently noticing a little resistance in moving the handle, so I'm going to send it off to get it serviced, I will be curious to see what the guy says when he gets it open.

I hose my reels down after use too, but that is very different to soaking them in freshwater. A hose down isn't going to get much water into the body of the reel or the bearings unless it is a high pressure jet of water. If you get any kind of water in a reel you'll start corroding things; salt water is worse but freshwater will cause problems if you don't take steps to dry it out quickly.

My routine is to tighten the drag all the way up, give the reel a light spray with water and then wipe down the outside with an Inox soaked rag, or just give the whole thing a light spray with Inox if I'm feeling a bit lazy. Then I back the drag right off so any water that got into the drag stack has a chance to dry out. I don't always do this, but if I've been out on the bay in the yak and the wind got up a bit then I make a point of rinsing the reels properly.

Eventually I'll get enough cash to switch over to Penn Slammer IIIs for all my kayak reels, those things are supposedly fully sealed so that should help keep them nicer for longer. Those, or some Van Staals.

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 13, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

I hose my reels down after use too, but that is very different to soaking them in freshwater. A hose down isn't going to get much water into the body of the reel or the bearings unless it is a high pressure jet of water. If you get any kind of water in a reel you'll start corroding things; salt water is worse but freshwater will cause problems if you don't take steps to dry it out quickly.

My routine is to tighten the drag all the way up, give the reel a light spray with water and then wipe down the outside with an Inox soaked rag, or just give the whole thing a light spray with Inox if I'm feeling a bit lazy. Then I back the drag right off so any water that got into the drag stack has a chance to dry out. I don't always do this, but if I've been out on the bay in the yak and the wind got up a bit then I make a point of rinsing the reels properly.

Eventually I'll get enough cash to switch over to Penn Slammer IIIs for all my kayak reels, those things are supposedly fully sealed so that should help keep them nicer for longer. Those, or some Van Staals.

Interesting, I guess I never really thought about the difference between hosing down and submersion.

And man, I would love to own a Van Staal simply because they are incredible machines, but I don't think I would ever really need something like that. If they made like a 500 size spinner might be pushed over the edge into getting one.

Sockington posted:

Weapon of choice from shore;

Some of the aforementioned old guys I fish with seem to be of the opinion that a white grab on a jighead is the most universal fishing lure out there.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

How do you fish the grub? Bounce it off the bottom?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Sockington posted:

The satisfaction when he grabbed on my second cast is unparalleled. "I adapted and it worked. Holy poo poo"

This is such a good feeling. Also your weapon of choice would slay during salmon runs, especially if it was pink. My buddy doesn't even bother with the grub part and just casts out a pink jighead with a bare hook. Local prevailing wisdom here is that they will hit anything pink, and on the odd-numbered years when the pink salmon run you will not be able to find a 4" pink buzz bomb for love or money.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Another good day out on the boat.

17" walleyes and a pair of yellow perch

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
That's a nice haul! I wish I had more walleye in my area. They're cool as all heck lookin'. They're supposedly in the lakes around here but I've never caught or even seen anyone catch one.

Anyways, what do you dudes think is a better 3 day summer fishing trip -- Great Lakes or the Gulf of Mexico? I wanna take my old man on a fishing trip this year for his birfday and for beating the big C.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Rape Stink posted:

That's a nice haul! I wish I had more walleye in my area. They're cool as all heck lookin'. They're supposedly in the lakes around here but I've never caught or even seen anyone catch one.

Anyways, what do you dudes think is a better 3 day summer fishing trip -- Great Lakes or the Gulf of Mexico? I wanna take my old man on a fishing trip this year for his birfday and for beating the big C.

Gulf of Mexico for sure. May as well be warm.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Got a decent yellow perch today. Casting out with some worms on a "pickerel rig" sitting on the bottom of our nearby river. Was just killing time with the daughter but when a big one shows up you can't say no.

Picked up a cheap rod that's a thousand times more sensitive than the "thunderstick" I'd been using. I can feel every rock I'm dragging over. Mounted my used Pflueger Supreme on it. My $80 Cdn setup.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

I finally caught a decent bass with my new combo! He was right around 2.5lb, which isnt too bad for this spot. I got him and a few smaller ones ripping a lipless through some weeds. At one point I had a great one on, but she jumped like 2' and came off. I got my lure back in and threw it back out there, as soon as the lure hit the weeds I got a hit. It was a monster, it was all I could do to get her out of the weeds.

Not visible is the thin mono wrapped around the base. It was pulling back, thus my several seconds of excitement before I broke it free.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

You guys are catching excellent fish! And sticks.

I caught a couple of small bass on Saturday morning, but nothing worth posting. I want to go salmon fishing but I'm in the middle of moving hell. Hopefully by the end of the month, though. Also, there were some chicken livers on sale at the store so I bought a couple of pounds for crab or catfish bait. Anybody catch a lot of catfish in this thread?

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Anybody catch a lot of catfish in this thread?

I've caught so many (unwanted) catfish I should change my name to Tinder.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Went out on an all-day vertical jigging trip this weekend and, after a nice long fight, managed to haul in a nice amber(almaco?)jack, which smoked up quite nicely!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Danthrax posted:

I've caught so many (unwanted) catfish I should change my name to Tinder.

... go on.

Enigma posted:

Went out on an all-day vertical jigging trip this weekend and, after a nice long fight, managed to haul in a nice amber(almaco?)jack, which smoked up quite nicely!

I am so loving jealous.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!
Catfish absolutely love chicken livers, you should do well!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

I am so loving jealous.

You're not alone.

Pulled a pair in before work today. I was just looking to make a few casts with the new rod, but got a bite on my second and third casts. Check the clock, and "oh poo poo it's almost work". Ran home and got them cleaned and to work on time. :chef:

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Tampa Bay is chock full of gafftopsail and hardhead catfish, neither of which are particularly fun (mostly due to the toxic slime and barbs). Gafftops are tasty but a pain to clean. I've witnessed them eat the following: dead shrimp, live shrimp, dead pinfish, live pinfish, dead greenbacks, live greenbacks, chubs, frozen finger mullets, cut squid, DOA shrimp, Gulp shrimp, and chunks of Oscar Mayer hotdog.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Danthrax posted:

Tampa Bay is chock full of gafftopsail and hardhead catfish, neither of which are particularly fun (mostly due to the toxic slime and barbs). Gafftops are tasty but a pain to clean. I've witnessed them eat the following: dead shrimp, live shrimp, dead pinfish, live pinfish, dead greenbacks, live greenbacks, chubs, frozen finger mullets, cut squid, DOA shrimp, Gulp shrimp, and chunks of Oscar Mayer hotdog.

drat, I didn't even know that venomous catfish existed! That's wild. Are they fun to fight? Catfish seem to like the same poo poo that crabs like, which is basically whatever they can get.

Sockington posted:

You're not alone.

Pulled a pair in before work today. I was just looking to make a few casts with the new rod, but got a bite on my second and third casts. Check the clock, and "oh poo poo it's almost work". Ran home and got them cleaned and to work on time. :chef:

This rules so much. I hope that I can dial in how to get trout reliably in my local lake so I can catch dinner before work, too.

This thread is inspiring and I look forward to posting my first salmon in it. Hopefully November will be good to me.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

drat, I didn't even know that venomous catfish existed! That's wild. Are they fun to fight? Catfish seem to like the same poo poo that crabs like, which is basically whatever they can get.

This rules so much. I hope that I can dial in how to get trout reliably in my local lake so I can catch dinner before work, too.

This thread is inspiring and I look forward to posting my first salmon in it. Hopefully November will be good to me.

The saltwater catfish are a different matter from the freshwater ones. I don't know of anyone who tries to catch saltwater catfish, eats them, or is even remotely happy to have hooked one what with the barbs and venom. Out of ignorance since he's not much of a fisherman, my dad once tried to step on one to hold it in place to dehook it and got stabbed right through the sole of his shoe.

The few saltwater cats I've caught were small and put up zero fight whatsoever, even compared to other fish of their size. I'd rather catch seaweed.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Enigma posted:

The saltwater catfish are a different matter from the freshwater ones. I don't know of anyone who tries to catch saltwater catfish, eats them, or is even remotely happy to have hooked one what with the barbs and venom. Out of ignorance since he's not much of a fisherman, my dad once tried to step on one to hold it in place to dehook it and got stabbed right through the sole of his shoe.

The few saltwater cats I've caught were small and put up zero fight whatsoever, even compared to other fish of their size. I'd rather catch seaweed.

I seriously had no idea. I'm grateful that the peskiest things that take my bait in saltwater are Dungeness crabs. They can pinch you, but at least they taste good. I'm going to be catfishing in freshwater and the extent of my knowledge is channel good, bullhead bad.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
Just got to Florida, man there is water EVERYWHERE. Wish I could spend the week fishing instead of endlessly walking around Disney with little kids and in-laws.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

I seriously had no idea. I'm grateful that the peskiest things that take my bait in saltwater are Dungeness crabs. They can pinch you, but at least they taste good. I'm going to be catfishing in freshwater and the extent of my knowledge is channel good, bullhead bad.

Channel catfish are delicious and is what is served in restaurants as catfish unless they're getting swai from Asia and selling that as catfish. Fried or blackened fillets with lettuce, spicy mayo or remoulade, and fried onions makes a fantastic po'boy.

Like Enigma said, I'd rather catch seaweed than a saltwater catfish. They don't pull very hard, they thrash like crazy when you're trying to get your fish grips in their mouth for dehooking, they cover everything with that awful slime (which stings a bit if it's left on your skin), the barbs hurt if they poke you, they poo poo everywhere if you take 'em out of the water, and they frequently get hooked through the eye socket since it's right by the corner of their mouths. And I think bull sharks are the only things around that will eat them so they're everywhere. I still thank them for biting when I catch one but they're a waste of bait.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Danthrax posted:

Channel catfish are delicious and is what is served in restaurants as catfish unless they're getting swai from Asia and selling that as catfish. Fried or blackened fillets with lettuce, spicy mayo or remoulade, and fried onions makes a fantastic po'boy.

Like Enigma said, I'd rather catch seaweed than a saltwater catfish. They don't pull very hard, they thrash like crazy when you're trying to get your fish grips in their mouth for dehooking, they cover everything with that awful slime (which stings a bit if it's left on your skin), the barbs hurt if they poke you, they poo poo everywhere if you take 'em out of the water, and they frequently get hooked through the eye socket since it's right by the corner of their mouths. And I think bull sharks are the only things around that will eat them so they're everywhere. I still thank them for biting when I catch one but they're a waste of bait.

put one on a 14/0 and catch a bull shark then

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

put one on a 14/0 and catch a bull shark then

I usually go out alone in a 12' kayak, I'm not trying to gently caress with bull sharks! From what I've read online catfish aren't a primary prey for the sharks, it's more of a convenience thing. Shark fishing would be cool but I would want to go with someone who has experience...and a bigger boat.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Danthrax posted:

I usually go out alone in a 12' kayak, I'm not trying to gently caress with bull sharks! From what I've read online catfish aren't a primary prey for the sharks, it's more of a convenience thing. Shark fishing would be cool but I would want to go with someone who has experience...and a bigger boat.

Nah just let it tow you around for a bit until it's tired, bang it on the head, cut its throat and get it on ice ASAP. Flake is loving delicious

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Nah just let it tow you around for a bit until it's tired, bang it on the head, cut its throat and get it on ice ASAP. Flake is loving delicious

Dude I really want to see some of your fish if you have any to post.

I cannot wait for my loving squid jigs to arrive, and I'm going to run myself ragged this weekend to finish moving if I can. I'm sick of not fishing.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Dude I really want to see some of your fish if you have any to post.

I cannot wait for my loving squid jigs to arrive, and I'm going to run myself ragged this weekend to finish moving if I can. I'm sick of not fishing.

I got a gummy shark on the weekend, I didn't get a photo of it though. The wind looks like it'll be ok for a fish this weekend although it will be against the run out tide in the afternoon which will make fishing at anchor a headfuck and will probably put an end to the session.

Here's one I got a while ago

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I got a gummy shark on the weekend, I didn't get a photo of it though. The wind looks like it'll be ok for a fish this weekend although it will be against the run out tide in the afternoon which will make fishing at anchor a headfuck and will probably put an end to the session.

Here's one I got a while ago

:bisonyes:

Kayak fishing looks so fun. I'd love to get into it if I had anyplace to store one.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
I know that good kayaks are stable, but I still feel like I'd fall off one if I tried to fish off it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

joem83 posted:

I know that good kayaks are stable, but I still feel like I'd fall off one if I tried to fish off it.

You're sitting down which helps, and you pretty quickly learn how far you can lean and move around in the yak while keeping it stable. One of my kayak is supposedly stable enough for you to stand up in and cast a fly rod or whatever but I tried to stand up to take a piss out of it once and nearly fell in so now I piss out of the propel drive hole.

Kayak fishing looks so fun. I'd love to get into it if I had anyplace to store one.

I just sold the one in the picture because I didn't have enough room for three kayaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Are you unfamiliar with bull sharks? If flake/gummy sharks were around here that'd be awesome (the ones you've posted look cool!) but 7 or 8-foot (2m+) long apex predators with the strongest bite force (pound for pound) of all shark species are way the hell out of my wheelhouse. I'd end up as a Florida Man headline if I went after them alone and from a kayak.

Mine sit on my living room floor when not in use. I'm just glad my apartment is on the second floor and not the third, and that I don't really have any other furniture.