Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Gloomy Rube posted:

One of my favorite things about the DRK quests is the journal entries in the 30-50 plotline. They're so good.

Journal entries are great in general. For some reason only about half of the Stormblood quests had them, it was really disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

jalapeno_dude posted:

Journal entries are great in general. For some reason only about half of the Stormblood quests had them, it was really disappointing.

I honestly think that this might be a bug, though if it is then it's weird that they haven't addressed it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I finished sprucing up our fish zone in PCD on Omega.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

More DRK stuff:
edited to clarify a couple of things

Waitasec, who is Fray supposed to be a manifestation of? I’m gonna be honest, I thought they were based off your first class to 50, since they healed.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I finished sprucing up our fish zone in PCD on Omega.

It needs a cupfish.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

a kitten posted:

Looks like the Encyclopedia is on sale if anyone was waiting for a price drop.

https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/421917/encyclopaedia-eorzea-the-world-of-final-fantasy-xiv-book

It's real good.

Square wont sell any physical items on the AUS/NZ store :(

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Waitasec, who is Fray supposed to be a manifestation of? I’m gonna be honest, I thought they were based off your first class to 50, since they healed.

They never say exactly who Fray is. My personal thought is that the Warrior of Light's repressed anger over all the crap that goes down at the end of 2.55, plus a soul crystal, leads to the part of your mind holding that anger possessing a dead guy. That said, it's not clear if the Fray you run around with from 30-50 even physically exists (outside of the 50 quest), or if they're basically a hallucination that can project a real form.

In Myste's case, they're definitely that facet of your mind splitting off (possibly with some help from the soul crystal) and producing its own self. The WoL is presumably so powerful at manipulating aether that they can do this subconsciously.

Knocked off the level 70 SMN quest tonight. It wasn't as good as DRK, no surprise there, but it was still a fun little romp. Also got the SMN tome from Castrum and the Plague Doctor Coat from Arboretum for my SCH, so book club is looking good, literally.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dwesa posted:

It needs a cupfish.

The two fish in there are very important people so if it meant replacing them, it can't be done.

Or it can be but shouldn't be!!!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

FillInTheBlank posted:

Square wont sell any physical items on the AUS/NZ store :(
And it is no longer available at EU shop (why?).

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ArtIsResistance posted:

Bought stormblood because I'm an mmo junkie who needs a fix. Is endgame still grinding 2 dungeons for tome cap or did they fix the Heavsward problemz???

Also does whm still own bones???

You can PvP to cap now too. Well, you always could but it's been way better since they created separate limited and balanced PvP versions of the class' skills for Stormblood.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Warning about the book, it's been almost a year and I still can't open it without getting a migrane. I think its the ink or the page I'm allergic too and it sucked bad

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Second trip to the lower levels of PotD. Die two floors sooner this time (185) because of the same enemy (Chimera) again, this time because of an add aggroing me while I was in the middle of dodging The Dragon's Voice. :argh:

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Warning about the book, it's been almost a year and I still can't open it without getting a migrane. I think its the ink or the page I'm allergic too and it sucked bad

I think they may have changed the cover of the book for this reason, I have one from the first print run and it has a funny smell and feels vaguely like a soft leather. I thought it was nice but I can see being aggravated by it. Later printings have the cover made of a different material from what I heard on reddit.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

vOv posted:

I honestly think that this might be a bug, though if it is then it's weird that they haven't addressed it.

Generally, only quests that are story-critical or have large multi-part chains have them. I think it's just an issue of logistics: very few people likely read them, and it's a huge amount of extra work to do up and translate if you have a large volume of quests in the game.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The quest journal for the Longshaft stuff is the best because the WoL doesn't notice anything out of the ordinary at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

a kitten posted:

The quest journal for the Longshaft stuff is the best because the WoL doesn't notice anything out of the ordinary at all.

"Both are talented soldiers more than capable of performing simple tasks like weapon maintenance."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

a kitten posted:

I legitimately have no idea if he was talking about sex or not. It seems like they weren't at first, but then he put on the fursuit.

Also, I was surprised to see those characters are involved in a FATE chain in Eastern Thanalan.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

More DRK chat: the whole 60-70 questline is great. What an ending.

I also look really cool now.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Reiterpallasch posted:

Noct AST + WHM is better than SCH + WHM though.
I think that's only when all of your DPS, including healers/tanks, are playing near peak [e]or if your whm sucks at dps'ing. I have a feeling the comps will be scrambled again for ultimate prog and then settle back down again into what we see today if people really speed run ultimate bahamut. SCH+WHM is fairly unexplored as far as fflogs go at the top range for speed runners, and there's really not many great WHM speed runners to begin with unlike AST/SCH. In theory there isn't much practical healing difference between WHM/AST for this current omega tier and WHM pdps should actually surpass AST contribution for most raids. Once you start going down into the weeds of fflogs you start to see where SCH+WHM shines - when your WHM plays better than *handwaves* 1/4th your raid.

Cards are just really light at the moment for most people.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 18, 2017

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I legitimately have no idea if he was talking about sex or not. It seems like they weren't at first, but then he put on the fursuit.

Also, I was surprised to see those characters are involved in a FATE chain in Eastern Thanalan.

The FATE chain came first, the mogmail quests were added later to flesh out :razz: backstories for minor NPCs. Every NPC you deliver a letter to exists elsewhere in 2.x.

Though in fairness until the mogmail quests I never even knew Ratata from the Upper La Nos hamlet FATEs existed since she's always either grumping behind a rock or buried under a pile of coeruls.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Griever posted:

Wasted even more gil and redid my middle and upper floors to add a dining area and a bigger 'secret' lair. Didn't touch the downstairs.
And I thought glams /minions were my end-game. https://imgur.com/a/x2E6e

Also Please Calm Down on Omega is a cool and good FC for euro goons. It has an even bigger weebhouse!

Looking good. Still looking for inspiration to decorate my small house. Tried to upgrade to a medium last week, but the server screwed me over. Not that I'm bitter.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Though in fairness until the mogmail quests I never even knew Ratata from the Upper La Nos hamlet FATEs existed since she's always either grumping behind a rock or buried under a pile of coeruls.

I remember seeing her in a FATE, too.

But that's good to know.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Trying to get my Warrior to 70 via Roulette's and I got Bardam's in leveling roulette.

I had a Bard and Dragoon that both refused to AOE, with the DRG not once the entire dungeon using Blood of the Dragon and did nothing but spam True Thrust combos :psyduck:

Starting to think all the commendations I racked up while leveling as a DRG were not because I was a sprout but because I wasn't egregiously goddamn stupid

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Thundarr posted:

The FATE chain came first, the mogmail quests were added later to flesh out :razz: backstories for minor NPCs. Every NPC you deliver a letter to exists elsewhere in 2.x.

I really liked all the "where are there now?" nature of the mogmail quests.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Bolow posted:

with the DRG not once the entire dungeon using Blood of the Dragon and did nothing but spam True Thrust combos :psyduck:

This is me in PotD. I am good at this game. :v:

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Palace is different. It's acceptable there because enemies evaporate so quickly. A lot of otherwise bad play is acceptable there, as a matter of fact.

Speaking of, running SMN in PotD lets you play a fun game where you get to see how many Akh Morns you can fit into a single run. It's A Good Time.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I was really pumped to try to get the new dungeon chest but the collar clips with my au ra horns so that dream is dead RIP.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I was really pumped to try to get the new dungeon chest but the collar clips with my au ra horns so that dream is dead RIP.

Such is life as the best race.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

CeallaSo posted:

Palace is different. It's acceptable there because enemies evaporate so quickly. A lot of otherwise bad play is acceptable there, as a matter of fact.

Oh? Well that's good to know. Still, I can't help but wonder if knowing the rotations of all of these classes would help me get more commendations while leveling them. I do want that gold Magitek, but I'm only 2/5 of the way there.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

This is probably a dumb question but what does the little sword and OTHERS mean over your HP bar?

EDIT: VVVV Oh! Thank you!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 18, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's related to what your cursor will target (All, Friends, Enemies, Others). The sword means your weapon is drawn, as I recall.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

PotD as a Dragoon is nothing but pain and misery. Nothing lives long enough except for the bosses to use the Chaos combo on, and half the poo poo dies before you can get a Full Thrust off anyway. Keeping BotD rolling is completely loving hopeless as well, since you don't have Lance Mastery or Sonic Thrust.

Bolow fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 18, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bolow posted:

PotD as a Dragoon is nothing but pain and misery. Nothing lives long enough except for the bosses to use the Chaos combo on, and half the poo poo dies before you can get a Full Thrust off anyway. Keeping BotD rolling is completely loving hopeless as well, since you don't have Lance Mastery or Sonic Thrust.

So PotD for Dragoon is the same as PotD for every DPS?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So PotD for Dragoon is the same as PotD for every DPS?

THM is straight up 'use scathe because shits gonna be dead before you get that fire off.'

BLM isn't so bad though

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

A. Beaverhausen posted:

THM is straight up 'use scathe because shits gonna be dead before you get that fire off.'

BLM isn't so bad though

BLM was awful in HW when you needed to refresh enochian. You were forced into the ARR rotation and hopefully you got your opening Fire3 off before the mob died.

I haven't touched potd in stormblood because it's killed me on the inside.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bolow posted:

Trying to get my Warrior to 70 via Roulette's and I got Bardam's in leveling roulette.

I had a Bard and Dragoon that both refused to AOE, with the DRG not once the entire dungeon using Blood of the Dragon and did nothing but spam True Thrust combos :psyduck:

Starting to think all the commendations I racked up while leveling as a DRG were not because I was a sprout but because I wasn't egregiously goddamn stupid

Welcome to the Hell that is other players.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That's why I try to always DF dungeons as a dps; there's nothing quite so painful as being the healer or tank in a run where both dps are garbage. Except for maybe a run where the healer is so bad they can't keep people alive but I haven't really ever run into that in this game.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ainsley McTree posted:

Except for maybe a run where the healer is so bad they can't keep people alive but I haven't really ever run into that in this game.

I have! I joined a Bardam's Mettle in progress as a tank at the last boss, and the healer was promising everyone that he was actually trying really hard! I promise!

He then proceeded to use only Cure 2 and regen, and usually died before he could go OOM.

I no longer join in progress dungeons.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Renegret posted:

I have! I joined a Bardam's Mettle in progress as a tank at the last boss, and the healer was promising everyone that he was actually trying really hard! I promise!

He then proceeded to use only Cure 2 and regen, and usually died before he could go OOM.

I no longer join in progress dungeons.

The crazy thing is that cure 2 and regen should be enough :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ainsley McTree posted:

The crazy thing is that cure 2 and regen should be enough :psyduck:

I should clarify on the regen part.

He pre-casted it on the entire party one by one (I didn't bother correcting him at this point) and didn't think to re-apply after it fell off.