Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just came here to post that! Anybody know anything about de León?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
he managed to pass the sb562 hot potato to rendon so I guess that’s a point in his favor

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I just came here to post that! Anybody know anything about de León?

He seems alright from what I've seen, albeit in an admittedly brief pass. He appears to be mostly an environmental guy, but he's also co-sponsored bills for gun control, trans-rights, and affirmative consent on college campuses.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm sure they'll have some hardcore crazy elements to them. As a protest candidate, it isn't our job to get too concerned about those. We need to threaten DiFi's position. At worst, that sets the stage for real opposition.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Why, WHY, did I read the comments? Ugh.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Saw Gavin Newsom speak recently - dude is a corporatist snake in a human skin suit. I really hope Chiang defeats him but it sounds like the tech companies really want to railroad Newsom into office. What was he like as mayor of SF?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Newsom is California's Patrick Bateman.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Obligatory: https://web.archive.org/web/20060506211308/http://www.thewavemag.com/pagegen.php?pagename=article&articleid=24031

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

This is gold right here. I skipped a few and figured, oh, that's clever, good writing, but after going back I'm pretty sure that this was just an amazing set of interviews.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

El Mero Mero posted:

What was he like as mayor of SF?
He forced the hand during the Prop8 debate, which thankfully ended up positively. Aside from being less human-like than Facebook Boy, people remember him for helping get gay marriage happening.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You can't judge Newsom too harshly. You can't get into SF politics without being a replicant. At least he's a replicant who gets things done.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
He will fire up the Trumpstaffel to 195% of normal turnout levels because of the triple threat to "ARE FREEDUM" :freep: of being from SF, hating guns and loving LGBT.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Keyser_Soze posted:

He will fire up the Trumpstaffel to 195% of normal turnout levels because of the triple threat to "ARE FREEDUM" :freep: of being from SF, hating guns and loving LGBT.

Will they dust off the old "whether you like it or not" soundbite and replay it endlessly?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Newsom was good for gay rights, and also business i guess, and he's definitely not a nazi, which is nice

he also used to love booze and maybe cocaine, and cheated on his wife with his campaign manager's wife, and said he would resign if SF's murder rate went up (it went up multiple years in a row, he didn't resign lol)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Its sad that in tyool 2017, not being a nazi basically makes someone incredibly good and important.

Anyways I don't particularly like him on a human/personal-level, but I generally don't have anything particularly against him politically (at least for being better than the standard democrat). And I'd sure as gently caress vote for him over Feinstein or Zuckerberg or whatever other awful people are out there or looking to run. And I'd rather him back as mayor over Ed Lee

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

"Not completely terrible" is basically the only requirement for a Democratic candidate to get elected in the populous parts of California. Kinda wish we had higher standards but when the other options are rightwing shits it pretty much guarantees them a win, unless they like, ate a baby or something.

e: if a candidate whose general description was "More rights for women and gays, continued corporate fuckery but maybe some anti-prop 13 statements, also ate a baby" ran against "deport all the immigrants, lower taxes on the rich and stymie road maintenance and other civic goods" I'd vote for the baby eater nine times out of ten.

e2: Fat Bastard for Governor 2020

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 19, 2017

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I asked newsom if he though the state should assume the responsibility for ensuring a middle class quality of life for Californians if business won't do it and he was like "nope. Personal responsibility! That's the future so get used to it."

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

California is an anti middle class state.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

El Mero Mero posted:

I asked newsom if he though the state should assume the responsibility for ensuring a middle class quality of life for Californians if business won't do it and he was like "nope. Personal responsibility! That's the future so get used to it."
I asked newsom why he was rooting through my trash and he said he was looking for condoms to eat, and then ran away. If I catch him at it again I'm going to hang up blinking Christmas lights around my trash bin. I hear that works?

Prick.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

MarcusSA posted:

California is an anti middle class state.

Only getting worse.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Only getting worse.

No kidding, I'm watching my friends who are solidly middle class struggle with daycare, housing, employment...this state is real hosed up. People are either living it up or hanging on by their fingernails, no real middle ground.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
To paraphrase Ann Landers, "If you think California is expensive, try the Midwest."

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
The rate of change is crazy. My dad owned a house that you could see the beach from with a meager management salary. Sold it for 200k in the mid 80s. The thing is worth millions now and good luck ever having it that easy ever again.

Some of my co workers give me poo poo for only being able to afford to live out in the IE instead of orange county where my job is, but I have a feeling at least one of them will have to move out my way. And now it seems my area is starting to be gentrified.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 20, 2017

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
For a while I was considering the IE, but when I did the math, the savings in cheaper rent was offset by the increased commute costs to OC

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Instant Sunrise posted:

For a while I was considering the IE, but when I did the math, the savings in cheaper rent was offset by the increased commute costs to OC

The commute is currently raking me over the coals in "hidden" costs.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
That commute sounds comparable to people that work in the Bay Area but live in Tracy. To commute to work they have to travel through the Altamont pass, a traffic riddled logjam. I don't deal with it myself, but I know its bad when I see people at work in the break room at 7PM lingering, because leaving at 6:30 and leaving at 8 will make little difference in the time they actually end up getting home. Many co workers that live in that area actually opt for shifts with really unusual start/end times just to avoid dealing with traffic.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I've pretty much given up on the idea of owning a house in this state unless I somehow stumble blindly into a couple million dollars. Either something happens and prices go way down (unlikely) or I eventually move on from being a single twenty-something paying incredibly cheap rent and am forced out of state because I actually want to put down roots.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Middle class homeownership is still possible in places like Sac (and Ventura County doesn't look too bad either).

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, the coastal cities are hosed, but it's really not the whole state -- just the part with jobs.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Something that annoys me about the tech field is that it feels like everything in the Bay Area is priced based on Tech Industry pricing, and despite being called Silicon Valley, there are tons of people that do many jobs that don't have anything to do with computer touching. Neither my wife or I work in tech, nor do our families; its mostly medical, government, or other service industries. Driving through the Bay Area, I see plenty of entry level places that are hiring, and discussing it with my wife I concluded that it is because they can't find anyone that can afford to both live and work there- even pulling $15 an hour at Popeye's or whatever.

The people that do work those jobs and live in the area typically had family that owned homes here for 40+ years; I discovered an enclave in Sunnyvale, for example, that consisted of a whole neighborhood of people whose homes they directly inherited from their parents (likely in part due to Prop 13 perks keeping them around). A 45 year old Latina working at Jack in the Box likely lives in a house either her parents bought in the 70s/80s or conversely lives in the same apartment/rental home as her kids. It is a great example of why the conservative illusion of "Minimum wage jobs are for high school students" because most of the people working minimum wage jobs are actually middle aged or older, often minorities, often sharing living space with many other people to make ends meet.

Everybody goes gee golly at those whiz kids at Google but nobody thinks about the people that do Google's landscaping, or the subcontractors that take their employees to work every day, or the people that come in on the graveyard shift to clean the office buildings :(

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Inland San Diego County has affordable home prices but only if you like living in sun blasted desert hellscapes full of Trump loving rednecks.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sydin posted:

I've pretty much given up on the idea of owning a house in this state unless I somehow stumble blindly into a couple million dollars. Either something happens and prices go way down (unlikely) or I eventually move on from being a single twenty-something paying incredibly cheap rent and am forced out of state because I actually want to put down roots.
There's nothing wrong or shameful about raising kids in a 3 (or even 2BR) apartment if thats what you can afford, especially if the alternatives are moving out of state taking pay cuts and live in an isolated cul-de-sac out in Henderson, NV. I think the idea that everyone needs to buy some single-family dwelling in order to have a family in a massively growing state (especially in the bay area) with major need for more and more density is toxic and unnecessary. Rents are of course stupidly expensive but dual (or even single) income family could much much more easily rent a 2 or 3 br place compared to buying a house

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Inland San Diego County has affordable home prices but only if you like living in sun blasted desert hellscapes full of Trump loving rednecks.

No one wants to live in Santee.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Xaris posted:

There's nothing wrong or shameful about raising kids in a 3 (or even 2BR) apartment if thats what you can afford, especially if the alternatives are moving out of state taking pay cuts and live in an isolated cul-de-sac out in Henderson, NV. I think the idea that everyone needs to buy some single-family dwelling in order to have a family in a massively growing state (especially in the bay area) with major need for more and more density is toxic and unnecessary. Rents are of course stupidly expensive but dual (or even single) income family could much much more easily rent a 2 or 3 br place compared to buying a house

OTOH, having to raise kids while sharing walls with others is a great way to make your neighbors hate you.

A well designed townhouse with some kind of backyard would be the best of both worlds for urban families.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

The Aardvark posted:

No one wants to live in Santee.

There's really two Santees. There's "basically Lakeside" and "basically El Cajon." The latter part isn't so bad except my friend's dog got eaten by a coyote.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Sharing a wall with others is how I put my life in perspective. It reminds me that things could be worse and I could have children and a spouse that I hate... And that I am missing out on some fun freaky sex.
I just wish the reminders stopped when I am trying to sleep.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

CopperHound posted:

Sharing a wall with others is how I put my life in perspective. It reminds me that things could be worse and I could have children and a spouse that I hate... And that I am missing out on some fun freaky sex.
I just wish the reminders stopped when I am trying to sleep.
Get a white noise machine (seriously).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Xaris posted:

It's less about shame and more about quality of life. Pretty much all of my family lives in the Chicago area, and I know from talking with them you can still get a modestly sized 3-4 bedroom house in one of the outlying neighborhoods for a reasonable price. And even then the neighborhoods of Chicago are still more expensive than most other place in the country. I really like California, but the price of home ownership anywhere that's even remotely desirable is a big incentive to (eventually) pack up and leave.

Also apartment living sucks. It sucks when you're by yourself/with a roommate or two, let alone trying to raise a family. I'm renting half a duplex right now specifically because I never want to go back to apartment life if I can help it.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

FMguru posted:

Get a white noise machine (seriously).

Look at this noob advocating for illuminati mind control machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Human beings for most of recorded history have lived in spaces smaller than modern studio apartments and they had their cows and goats in there with them too.

People bitching about space are dumb. You can make do with very little space. Where I used to live, there were families of 6, mostly adults, living in 1 bedroom apartments. It's not that hard to make it work, especially since the weather here is so ideal 90% of the time.

Don't buy into the propaganda that you need a suburban mcmansion to be happy.