Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
"That's no moon" Lesnick roared

"That's my moon pie!"

his nibs fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

I would really love someone to ask their panel what really happened with Behaviour Interactive, Moon Collider and Illfonic, and why, for a company that's 'so transparent', the community had only been informed of the dissolution of these partnerships by third party interviews.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Latin Pheonix posted:

I would really love someone to ask their panel what really happened with Behaviour Interactive, Moon Collider and Illfonic, and why, for a company that's 'so transparent', the community had only been informed of the dissolution of these partnerships by third party interviews.

If that occurred like some angry shareholder's meeting it would be fun to witness.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

I have a feeling this sci fi panel thing is going to be exactly like that fan fiction piece that had Ben eating burkeys while CR just stands around in black clothes and Derek sending his sex gimp to CR to negotiate or something.

At least, I'm hoping it's exactly like that. :)

(Can't remember who wrote it but it was good)

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Milky Moor posted:

Not that it's really that surprising if you were, like me, involved in sci-fi communities in the late 90s/early 00s. Every group was fiercely fighting every other group. The Big Three fight was a melee between the Trekkies VS Warsies VS Fivers (and there was often fierce sectarian violence within those groups -- Kirk or Picard, Sinclair or Sheridan??). The flight sim rivalries were just an extension of that, and Wing Commander had some very devoted fans in those days. Wing Commander had a lot of games with big name actors and was basically a big Hollywood movie series. In comparison, Freespace wasn't as obviously 'good' and was practically dehumanising and depersonalising in its grim narrative. And FS2 does sort of have the dubious distinction of being one of the last flight sims ever released as well as being the best.

Just, like with most things when it comes to Lesnick, he never seemed to move on from those days.

I still have to put Tie Fighter Collectors CD ahead of FS2. FS2 had the better graphics being basically a generation of tech later, but I played far more Of the swing series. Now the fs2open project has kept the development of the engine relatively up to date with things like diaspora. But multiplayer aspects and netcode haven't kept pace. Takes a lot of tech know how to get it to work.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Jared's mugshot looks pretty good. Looks like he's lost some weight.

That "History of Space Games" panel is just going to be Ben talking about Wing Commander for the entire time.

A panel on the history of space sim games without Lawrence Holland?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Star Citizen: How Great Communities Make Great Games

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

his nibs posted:

"That's no moon" Lesnick roared

"That's my moon pie!"

Cat.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Mr.Tophat posted:

My perfectly still oceans for one!!!

The entidalment is strong with this one

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Toops posted:

So they're sending a walking moon and a disheveled hobo to discuss how they corral hopeless space dorks into the money pits, hook them up to the milking station, and systematically lie to them in order to meet extraction quotas? Got it.

Then Ben "Moon" Lesnick, Master of Spaceships is gonna do a live demo for the autism showcase panel? Can't wait.

I predict comedy.

Don't worry, the Human Eyebrow will be moderating the panel.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

It's the worst kind of panels.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

That whole reddit topic is a wonderful example of people who completely and totally get game development.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I don't understand brain development

like I did a semester of work waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in an embryonic neurology lab but I can wholeheartedly say that what little exposure I had to how brains work is utterly reverted by these loving screencaps

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

CIG has nothing to license. Basically everything they have is either licensed tech or stuff they have modify for said tech. As in they have no right to sell any of that.

And SWTOR used the HeroEngine.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Arguments for game development being a matter of plugging in assets due to using an already built engine sure takes me back to 2012.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Codezombie posted:

That whole reddit topic is a wonderful example of people who completely and totally get game development.

They didnt quite get the fact that CIG has no engine. Its just licensed.

Imo the most offensive/dumb people are shills, it just makes sense. If i were CIG, i would try to overload all the forums with dreams and white noise, just to distract the backers. CIG needs to make the 3.0 MVP release, then the backers can go gently caress themselves.

AutismVaccine fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 18, 2017

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

AutismVaccine posted:

If i were CIG, i would try to overload all the forums with dreams and white noise, just to distract the backers.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/16163-The-Shipyard-Careers-And-Roles

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Dusty Lens posted:

Arguments for game development being a matter of plugging in assets due to using an already built engine sure takes me back to 2012.

What they are saying is EA, a 34 billion dollar company with a billion dollar game license, should make a bare bones Star Citizen mod. One SC ship become a Tie Fighter and another an X-wing.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Why the hell would EA even want CIG's unproven engine. EA has Frostbite, which they are very keen that all their studios use, and while Frostbite is a massive PITA to use, it's actually a pretty decent engine.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Sounds like an iron clad money printer to me.

fritzgryphon
Jul 15, 2017

by Lowtax

So clue me in.

Having saturated the market for pre-orders, CiG wants to sell ships to whales. What does that mean specifically?

Can a person only use a particular ship if they have bought it? Or does it just affect your ability to spawn that ship (but you can still steal one).

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

fritzgryphon posted:

So clue me in.

Having saturated the market for pre-orders, CiG wants to sell ships to whales. What does that mean specifically?

Can a person only use a particular ship if they have bought it? Or does it just affect your ability to spawn that ship (but you can still steal one).

You have already put more thought into this than Christ Roberts, CIG or any of the whales.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

fritzgryphon posted:

So clue me in.

Yes.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

fritzgryphon posted:

So clue me in.

Absolutely. This is something they're working on and it looks really promising. It might not be in 3.0 but I'm pretty sure someone said it's planned for 3.1

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
CIG are sharpening their whale harpoons.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Why did my ship change roles from what it was initially set up?

We are incredibly stupid and don't really give thought to any of this despite one of our lackeys saying we spend thousands of man hours just coming up with a new jpeg to sell

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
When will one of you set up a crowd funded game concept that's like catnip to these guys? Someone here should learn all the lessons CIG has taught and make some bank.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

kilus aof posted:

CIG are sharpening their whale harpoons.

An outline of a ship with a giant ? in the middle is somehow very appropriate.

Remember to keep pioneering that future backers.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Who needs a plan when you have 160 million in unearned money?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

When will one of you set up a crowd funded game concept that's like catnip to these guys? Someone here should learn all the lessons CIG has taught and make some bank.

Pirhana games tried back in 2014. Didn't go too well. RIP Transverse, even the furry market edge wasn't enough to bring you over the finish line.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Dusty Lens posted:

Pirhana games tried back in 2014. Didn't go too well. RIP Transverse, even the furry market edge wasn't enough to bring you over the finish line.

Were they goons?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

fritzgryphon posted:

So clue me in.

right now (as of 2.6.3) you can only spawn on the landing pad ships that A) have purchased and B) are flight ready in game. Once on the pad, anyone can glitch or sneak inside your ship and take off with it.

The future ? its all <Dreams> about anti theft devices and whatnot.

Any ship i cant steal get destroyed, so locking your thing only mean you wont find then when you get back.

Drunk Theory posted:

An outline of a ship with a giant ? in the middle is somehow very appropriate.

Remember to keep pioneering that future backers.

I bet that thing is a mini-carrier to out-constellation the constellation. Take your space bikes and mako tumbril and a snub fighter anywhere with you as you explore our 3 moons in a single system !

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 18, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The real news will hit shortly. Derek will license StarEngine.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dusty Lens posted:

PGI failed on the first step, which is to leverage your credibility and nostalgia to establish the baseline demand. AC and Elite both used fond memories of previous franchises coupled with the celebrity of their creators to get the initial spark of interest. PGI leveraged their incredibly lovely reputation and failure to deliver on MWO to ram themselves into an already saturated market.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

McGiggins posted:

Thread: if Derek does 64 player ucce update eventually as he currently tentatively and provisionally plans to do, will anyone want to play it as a thing for everyone to participate in?

It seems like it could actually be a fun thing to do, and seeing as it will be a while before he does such a thing, it could be the perfect ending to round out the star citizen experience.

LOL. If derek can get 64 players in the same instance - concurrently, I'll eat my belt.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Colostomy Bag posted:

The real news will hit shortly. Derek will license StarEngine.

Do Dereks games even have an engine atm? They look like Matrix-screensaver text to me.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

PGI failed on the first step, which is to leverage your credibility and nostalgia to establish the baseline demand. AC and Elite both used fond memories of previous franchises coupled with the celebrity of their creators to get the initial spark of interest. PGI leveraged their incredibly lovely reputation and failure to deliver on MWO to ram themselves into an already saturated market.

The secret is to wait a minimum of five years after being laughed out of the industry to leverage your credibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

ManofManyAliases posted:

LOL. If derek can get 64 players in the same instance - concurrently, I'll eat my belt.

Would you also admit that it is more technologically (network) advanced than SC if that would happen?