Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Watch The Play Doh Movie come out and Animation Thread be like, "Wow, that was better than it had any right to be!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

K. Waste posted:

Watch The Play Doh Movie come out and Animation Thread be like, "Wow, that was better than it had any right to be!"

I would be 100% down for a full length claymation film in theaters. And that's Gumby claymation where the clay aspect is fully utilized.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
In The Asylum version of the film, all the characters are just snakes.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Schwarzwald posted:

In The Asylum version of the film, all the characters are just snakes.

lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Guy Mann posted:

Also since this is the one animation forum that agrees with me about how creepy Don Bluth's fixations are can I just say that Burton's recurring motif of having dead women with detachable limbs as love interests in his movies feels like it might be some weird fetish thing?

His limb removal fetish also extends to his male characters. :ssh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m355Zag_G8E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9nioISP8ls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAbAd4QBL1s&t=1515s

There's probably some better examples than those last two, I just grabbed the first few random Tim Burton videos I found on youtube.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Maybe it's just fun to animate zombies like that and it doesn't need to be a fetish

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Macaluso posted:

I tried to watch The Last Unicorn but that movie has trash animation and it's actually painful to watch.

I finally found time to rewatch the film, and as many good things as there are in it, the animation is definitely ugly.

It's all the more of a shame as the art is gorgeous as long as it's standing still, but outside the backgrounds, nothing ever does. Even when a character is seemingly holding a pose, they jitter and vibrate. It's intensely uncomfortable.

Similarly, there's very little silence. A musically number begins immediately after any pause, and that quickly becomes cacophonous regardless of any songs individual quality.

It's an animated film that would strongly benefit from being less animated.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

I finally found time to rewatch the film, and as many good things as there are in it, the animation is definitely ugly.

It's all the more of a shame as the art is gorgeous as long as it's standing still, but outside the backgrounds, nothing ever does. Even when a character is seemingly holding a pose, they jitter and vibrate. It's intensely uncomfortable.

Similarly, there's very little silence. A musically number begins immediately after any pause, and that quickly becomes cacophonous regardless of any songs individual quality.

It's an animated film that would strongly benefit from being less animated.

yeah all the art and animation in The Last Unicorn looks phenomenal to me except the Unicorn herself, who needs to like randomly wobble her unsettling looking head around every time she talks because I guess some senior animator said she held too still during dialogues or something

Macaluso posted:

That fox movie right? Fantastic Mr Fox I think? I couldn't get into that movie either cause I just found the animation unpleasant to watch. I know I'm in the super minority there and pretty much everyone here loves that movie to death but I could not get into it cause of that. And I'm gonna be real honest, even though it's a good movie I have a hard time going back and watching the original Toy Story because the animation is so dated at this point compared to how Toy Story 3 currently looks. I feel like hand drawn animated movies don't really have this issue for me

Though even beyond that TNBC I've always just been kind of "meh" about beyond the amazing songs

George Clooney is an unpleasant protagonist even when he's not a grisly taxidermy fox

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 16, 2017

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I just people would stop arguing that it's both a Halloween and Christmas movie. It's a goddamn Christmas movie.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Last Unicorn's style is amazing, and the animation is very good, it's just not animated the way that people generally expect. It's a beautiful-ugly film, which is exactly what it's trying to be.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spouse watched last unicorn, despised it. Perceived it entirely in the context of feminine purity and loathed it. Favorite character was the Harpy because a)it doesn't doubt its purpose and has no sadness and b) for a fleeting moment they could hope it would kill the Unicorn.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Spouse watched last unicorn, despised it. Perceived it entirely in the context of feminine purity and loathed it. Favorite character was the Harpy because a)it doesn't doubt its purpose and has no sadness and b) for a fleeting moment they could hope it would kill the Unicorn.

This is a completely true statement: Hugh doesn't like TLU either, and one of my main concerns when he came to my new apartment was whether he'd made a comment about the Last Unicorn cels above my couch. If you watch it when you are older you don't "get" it.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

It definitely requires a certain frame of mind. I enjoyed it when I first watched it at 20, but I can see how it might be not be for people once they reach a certain age.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Nah, I first saw it in my late twenties but I dug it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The Last Unicorn is for kids who had bad lives, even as kids. whoowhoo.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Timeless Appeal posted:

I just people would stop arguing that it's both a Halloween and Christmas movie. It's a goddamn Christmas movie.

Thematically, it's a great movie to watch just as Halloween is finishing and you're about to go to bed.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Macaluso posted:

I tried to watch The Last Unicorn but that movie has trash animation and it's actually painful to watch. Good theme song though

If I remember correctly, most of the animation crew ended up being absorbed by Ghibli.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
for years i've been trying to find my illustrated one-page childhood epic "the dragn and the unercoon" that was inspired by that movie, i know it's somewhere in my family's vaults but have never been able to find it and it's even more frustrating now

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Pyrotoad posted:

If I remember correctly, most of the animation crew ended up being absorbed by Ghibli.

Must have ended up on that Earthsea movie.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Must have ended up on that Earthsea movie.

That's the one made by his son that got panned, right? I've been wondering about that one, is it genuinely bad or just not a good Ghibli?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

nerdman42 posted:

It definitely requires a certain frame of mind. I enjoyed it when I first watched it at 20, but I can see how it might be not be for people once they reach a certain age.

Yeah. I watched it for the first time at about 25 and thought it was pretty dark but enjoyable; my wife at the time absolutely loathed it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/disneychannelpr/status/920303432451293184

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pyrotoad posted:

That's the one made by his son that got panned, right? I've been wondering about that one, is it genuinely bad or just not a good Ghibli?

It's boring as hell and doesn't actually get the tone of the book.

Like, it's not "This is your 'ghost', which lives in this 'shell'" level of bad, but they still manage to whitewash everyone from the book while also jumbling up bits and pieces of the story to make some kinda ad-libbed version of the books. And again, it's just boring to watch, and that's taking into account that Ghibli movies are not exactly thrills-a-mintue kinda movies.

Yeah, expected. Probably worth the watch if it keeps up with Ducktales in terms of quality, or at the very least Tangled.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It's a strange reversal of fortune that TJ Miller is now too famous to do a voice in a Disney TV cartoon.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That was the one about the wonderful fantasy world where your adviser only tries to steal your research and kill you but otherwise lets you go home at a reasonable hour and doesn't touch your hips as he walks past right

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

It's a strange reversal of fortune that TJ Miller is now too famous to do a voice in a Disney TV cartoon.

TJ Miller thinks he's too famous to do a voice in a Disney cartoon.

I have no idea how much of the Silicon Valley bullshit was an act, but he comes off as an insufferable, misguided idiot regardless.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Who's TJ Miller?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Fred from Big Hero 6, apparently.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
That rings a bell. Wasn't he in the Emoji movie, also?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
He's also Robbie from Gravity Falls

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
He’s probably best known as Erlich Bachman from Silicon Valley.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
That's bizarre because he reprised his role in the Dreamworks HTTYD series. Oh well, guess Erlich's got his own stuff to do.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Just watched The Last Unicorn because of this thread. It’s a weird, dated mess of a movie in a lot of ways but I can’t say I hated it. Definitely recommended if you like weird artsy bullshit.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

kefkafloyd posted:

That's bizarre because he reprised his role in the Dreamworks HTTYD series. Oh well, guess Erlich's got his own stuff to do.

VO for a film and for a TV series are very different commitments. Might be tough to be on multiple shows when you aren't strictly a voice actor.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Mechafunkzilla posted:

VO for a film and for a TV series are very different commitments. Might be tough to be on multiple shows when you aren't strictly a voice actor.

I think kefkafloyd was referring to Dragons: Riders of Berk, the TV series which (I think?) is set between HTTYD 1 and 2.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I think it's probably because the tv series started prior to TJ really hitting it big

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

CeallaSo posted:

I think kefkafloyd was referring to Dragons: Riders of Berk, the TV series which (I think?) is set between HTTYD 1 and 2.

Yes, that's what I was referring to. Apologies for not being clear. :v:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

So odd to see Rankin/Bass being referred to as "weird artsy bullshit".

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

By the way, yesterday, GKIDS and Shout Factory began their rollout of Ghibli Blu-ray releases, starting with:

My Neighbor Totoro
Ponyo
Howl's Moving Castle
Kiki's Delivery Service
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away

I don't know how many of these had been released on BD before, but there ya go.

Castle in the Sky and Nausicaä are coming on the 21st, and Arrietty plus Porco Rosso are coming November 21.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Waffleman_ posted:

By the way, yesterday, GKIDS and Shout Factory began their rollout of Ghibli Blu-ray releases, starting with:

My Neighbor Totoro
Ponyo
Howl's Moving Castle
Kiki's Delivery Service
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away

I don't know how many of these had been released on BD before, but there ya go.

Castle in the Sky and Nausicaä are coming on the 21st, and Arrietty plus Porco Rosso are coming November 21.

Is there any major quality or bonus material difference between these and the Disney Blus, as I already own several of those.