Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

The Zodiac Killer's final kill: this joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Deified Data posted:

I work with teens and every once in a while you'll get ones that are like "I could hack this place's network and steal the financial information of all your patrons if I wanted to" and I want to tell them "the silence of the people you tell these lies to isn't them being convinced, it's them being too embarrassed for you to correct you", but, natch, I'm too embarrassed for them to tell them that.?

A teenager putting themselves into stories where they're a cool character probably has life aspirations of being able to do cool things and sees no clear way of getting there without faking it until they make it. There's a huge leap between that and making up lies that don't even portray you in a good light, or hurt people, well into adulthood.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Deified Data posted:

Lying when you don't have to is one of the most puzzling human behaviors i can think of.

I work with teens and every once in a while you'll get ones that are like "I could hack this place's network and steal the financial information of all your patrons if I wanted to" and I want to tell them "the silence of the people you tell these lies to isn't them being convinced, it's them being too embarrassed for you to correct you", but, natch, I'm too embarrassed for them to tell them that. Trump has not advanced past this stage of adolescence, despite being filthy rich and surely having some outlandish stories to tell about his life that are true, he insists on telling an easily falsifiable lie. Why. Is it the knowledge that everyone knows he's lying but won't call him on it he gets off to? Like he's gotten away with something?

"people keep telling me my network is dangerously insecure, but jokes on you teens: no one likes you"

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

What was the deleted tweet Sasse replied to?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ought ten posted:

What was the deleted tweet Sasse replied to?

Shows up fine for me:
https://twitter.com/njh2005/status/920697138924916736

In regards to whether or not Ben Sasse spilled Dr. Pepper on Ted Cruz on accident during the hearing

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Does anyone have a link to Franken dunking on Sessions?

Also, I took part in an online poll (not on twitter) that was political in nature. This was one of the questions. This was a commissioned poll, but I don't know by who so I don't know how the results are going to be utilized.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

"people keep telling me my network is dangerously insecure, but jokes on you teens: no one likes you"

You joke, but that is the sickest burn you can ever pull off on a cocky poo poo.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

"I prefer soldiers that didn't die in pussy armored rollovers" Trump probably in the next 24 hours

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Angry_Ed posted:

Shows up fine for me:
https://twitter.com/njh2005/status/920697138924916736

In regards to whether or not Ben Sasse spilled Dr. Pepper on Ted Cruz on accident during the hearing

Weird. It was previewing for me as deleted but I didn't click through to check

Sasse is a shithead and a national treasure

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

I've been looking for a clip from a late night show that after Trump's win, had a montage looking like an origin story including the correspondent's dinner roast. I thought it was Colbert but apparently not... any ideas what that was?

Seth Meyers?

He's the one that really ripped into Trump, with those wonderful camera cuts between Seth's routine and Trump sitting in the audience seething.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv4MzaGk2VI"

Sooo good.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 18, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ought ten posted:

Weird. It was previewing for me as deleted but I didn't click through to check

Sasse is a shithead and a national treasure

He sucks.

Isn't it someone's job to get Trump a picture of all KIA soldiers so he can avoid having to call black people? You'd think that would be pretty easy to do...

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Obama once wore a tan suit

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't think they said anything about absolute tax revenue though, I took it as just Trump bullshitting that the US has the highest tax rate among developed (or is that developing) counties. Which is obviously also false either way and the reporter should've called him out on that of course, but developed countries do tend to have higher tax revenue as % of GDP.
Trump said "we're the highest taxed nation." If you're talking about raw taxes, that obviously useless. And if you're talking about tax rate, that's also an incorrect metric because you should be using effective tax rate.

Developed vs undeveloped could not be any less relevant.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

What's this new thing on left-wing twitter about the Melania in photos being a stunt double? :stare: are we the baddies?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

Lying when you don't have to is one of the most puzzling human behaviors i can think of.

I work with teens and every once in a while you'll get ones that are like "I could hack this place's network and steal the financial information of all your patrons if I wanted to" and I want to tell them "the silence of the people you tell these lies to isn't them being convinced, it's them being too embarrassed for you to correct you", but, natch, I'm too embarrassed for them to tell them that. Trump has not advanced past this stage of adolescence, despite being filthy rich and surely having some outlandish stories to tell about his life that are true, he insists on telling an easily falsifiable lie. Why. Is it the knowledge that everyone knows he's lying but won't call him on it he gets off to? Like he's gotten away with something?

That's stdh because what kid calls customers patrons?

Unless he was wearing a fedora and a vest, then yeah I can totally see that.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

canepazzo posted:

What's this new thing on left-wing twitter about the Melania in photos being a stunt double? :stare: are we the baddies?

some dumb conspiracy theory, whether or not it's ironic is the mystery

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

canepazzo posted:

If I were Melania I would send out a stunt double for public appearances with Trump.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
I had to look up if Ted Cruzs dad really did kill Kennedy and I found the part about his wife.

quote:

Cruz married Heidi Nelson in 2001.[280] The couple has two daughters, Caroline and Catherine.[281] Cruz met his wife while working on George W. Bush's 2000 presidential campaign. She took leave from her position as head of the Southwest Region in the Investment Management Division of Goldman, Sachs & Co. in 2016. She previously worked in the White House for Condoleezza Rice and in New York as an investment banker

Ted Cruz bought a Bene Gesserit :stare:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

CPColin posted:

Bro, can I interest you in a voting system that doesn't suffer from the spoiler effect? Because if you're not interested in that and you make a statement like the above, then you can gently caress off, too.

It's a weak counterpoint but this is what RCV does to your ballot:

The push polls are goddamn :psyboom:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Despera posted:

Obama once wore a tan suit

He rocked that poo poo too. :colbert:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

canepazzo posted:

It's a joke meme some people are running too far with

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Josh Lyman posted:

If I were Melania I would send out a stunt double for public appearances with Trump.

I think I'd go out in public with Trump, and hire a stunt double for private duties.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Sessions says he has not researched if the President can pardon himself.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Press briefing link for anyone who cares:

https://youtu.be/SVMOn08W_8U

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Jon Cornyn shows up late to give a much-needed handy to a withering Jeff Sessions. "Restore the faith and reputation of the DOJ after 8 years of mismanagement," gently caress you.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Munkeymon posted:

Using a computer and not showing all three columns of that at once would certainly clean it up

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Cornyn thanks Sessions for restoring faith in the Justice Department and making it unpartisan, unlike the last 8 years.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Ague Proof posted:

Sessions says he has not researched if the President can pardon himself.

he looked shook at this question, he was twiddling his fingers something fierce

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Carlosologist posted:

he looked shook at this question, he was twiddling his fingers something fierce

He also seemed pretty shook at the previous question as well when Blumenthal asked him "are you or anyone in the DOJ researching Pardons for Kushner, Trump Jr. and Manafort?"

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Vladimir Putin posted:

Jill Stein is a total loon. She's a Trump type person in that she never intends to get elected and just campaigns for god knows what reason. These days she could be a knowing/unknowing Russian tool.

The sad part is that some people buy her bullshit and she peels off votes from democrats or muddies up the debate enough to damage the dems. Again this could be her as an unknowning or some argue knowing tool of Russia.

A unkowning tool?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

STAC Goat posted:

And remember, this whole "I'm the only one who calls every soldier's family" thing is yet another unforced error because he couldn't resist telling a ridiculous lie about how great he is, which even HE realized was too much and tried to walk back moments later.

I honestly think in this case he had assumed that there's no way that Obama actually called all those grieving military families because in his mind why would a President do that that's ridiculous.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Not really a fan of the media being cutesy with people like Ben Sasse and Ted Cruz. Ben Sasse loves to act like the woke republican on Twitter and yet vote in lockstep with Trump's agenda 100% of the time.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Javes posted:

Not really a fan of the media being cutesy with people like Ben Sasse and Ted Cruz. Ben Sasse loves to act like the woke republican on Twitter and yet vote in lockstep with Trump's agenda 100% of the time.

There's also the part about Sasse being a trash fire of a human being.

Back to the hearing, Grassley desperately keeps imploring Sessions to resume pressing the "we fired Comey because he hosed up the Clinton investigation, honest" button.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's a joke meme some people are running too far with

There is a whole voat sub forum dedicated to the people that actually thought the "machelle Obama is a transvestite" thing was a real actual thing not just lovely racist sexism and it's the weirdest thing.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Munkeymon posted:

captain jack sparrow

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

VideoGameVet posted:

A unkowning tool?

Genuine question:

Do any of the people accusing Jill Stein of collusion with Russia have anything to go on besides this single photo? It gets posted every time the topic comes up, and has already been addressed by her several times.

quote:

Your name was mentioned in the document request from the Senate Judiciary Committee to the lawyers of Paul Manafort and Donald Trump Jr. Why?

I think it’s there for the same reason that that photo keeps circulating without a single fact. There was no translator at the dinner. Putin came in very briefly. Maybe he was there for 10 or 15 minutes before he gave a speech in Russian. Nobody was introduced to anybody. My conversation was actually with the guy sitting next to me, a German diplomat.

My clear message at that conference was to challenge both U.S. and Russian militarism.

The facts do not support whatsoever the contention that I was there for some nefarious purpose or for some kind of backroom deal. I received zero sponsorship to be there. No payment. There was nothing compromising about my being in Moscow.

Did you talk to Michael Flynn at that dinner?

He introduced himself to me just before we sat down, and I began to give him my elevator speech about the “peace offensive” in the Middle East, which was my policy throughout the campaign. Our conversation very quickly ended at that. Maybe two sentences about the peace offensive, which he was not interested in.

I understand the hate that Assange gets, but this always seems like the "spoiler candidate" argument getting mixed with the Russian dupe nonsense just because she sat at a table with Putin once and didn't even talk to him. Is there anything else to back up those accusations or is it all really generated from that one photo?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

glowing-fish posted:

I am not really totally clear on the timeline of Donald Trump attacking the grieving mother of a Green Beret, but him so adamantly insisting that this did not actually happen, when he has two witnesses, makes me think that he might actually not remember saying that.

Like, getting into Trump's mind is difficult, but this almost seems like he said something, doesn't remember saying it, and is trying to confabulate to make up for saying something he forgot.

In addition to what others have said about his compulsive lying, he honestly doesn't even remember the conversation because his brain is dead. It's just like when he went off on how everyone was lying about what he said about Charlottsville, he has a written little speech that he's supposed to give but he goes off text and rambles. Then when he's called on it, he doesn't remember saying the thing he's being criticized for and then goes back to what was written and convinces himself he never did that thing because it's not on the paper.

mobby_6kl posted:

I've been looking for a clip from a late night show that after Trump's win, had a montage looking like an origin story including the correspondent's dinner roast. I thought it was Colbert but apparently not... any ideas what that was?

I don't think they said anything about absolute tax revenue though, I took it as just Trump bullshitting that the US has the highest tax rate among developed (or is that developing) counties. Which is obviously also false either way and the reporter should've called him out on that of course, but developed countries do tend to have higher tax revenue as % of GDP.

The weird thing is that he's the same reporter who got into it with SHukS over Trump's repeated lies about taxes a couple days ago. He specifically followed up then with the fact we don't have the highest taxes in either the developed or undeveloped world.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Javes posted:

I'm sorry but Ted Cruz actually embracing the Zodiac Killer thing is amazing and by far the best thing he's ever done.

You're allowed to still hate him but Ted Cruz just implied he was the Zodiac Killer, that's astounding

logosanatic
Jan 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

People who follow this thread should know better than to start Arzying over one poll showing the Dem down slightly. The poll averages still show the Dem with a decent lead.

like hillarys poll numbers. everyone should know whatever the polls show go ahead and push it at least 5% in the gop direction because conservatives vote and liberals are busy social media'ing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucania
May 1, 2009
Link :

quote:

"I didn't say what that congresswoman said; didn't say it all. She knows it. And she now is not saying it. I did not say what she said, and I’d like her to make the statement again because I did not say what she said. I had a very nice conversation with the woman, with the wife who was - sounded like a lovely woman. Did not say what the congresswoman said, and most people aren’t too surprised to hear that," Trump said in a pool spray following a Senate Finance meeting today.

[...]

According to a source close to the president, President Donald Trump was "misunderstood" in his comments to an army widow, and only meant to console her - though an early morning tweet issued by the president bypassed his condolences to tear into Congresswoman Wilson.

"This president cares deeply. Maybe he said something that was misunderstood, but he certainly cares about fallen servicemen and women," the source said speaking on background.

How long before he doubles (triples?) down?

• Locked thread