Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
failed hard on squats today holy poo poo.

My life flashed before my eyes when I was mid-squat, realizing there was no shot I lifting the weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
took a few days off lifting due to work and life poo poo (uggghhh)

today I repented
6 sets of deficit deadlifts
6 sets of sumo squats
6 sets of hack squats
7 sets of calves

forgive me, bros

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Grump posted:

My life flashed before my eyes when I was mid-squat, realizing there was no shot I lifting the weight.

yeah I really want to like squats but I'm also really loving bad at them, I have a bitch of a time keeping my torso upright. I'm not even doing that much weight, and I'm easily deadlifting way more than I squat so I'm starting to get frustrated.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Kelp Me! posted:

I'm easily deadlifting way more than I squat

Isn't that normal?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

eh that's what I though but I keep reading about how in theory you should be able to squat nearly as much as you deadlift since they work similar muscle groups. I'd be ok if they were remotely close but I'm talking 115lb squat vs 215lb deadlift here.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Grump posted:

gotta just go for it dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSX5N4hQEFs

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Kelp Me! posted:

eh that's what I though but I keep reading about how in theory you should be able to squat nearly as much as you deadlift since they work similar muscle groups. I'd be ok if they were remotely close but I'm talking 115lb squat vs 215lb deadlift here.

You have 20 years give or take of practice at bending over to pick things up. How long have you been putting poo poo on your back and Squating with it?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kelp Me! posted:

Deadlift uses the highest percentage of musculature in your body for a singe non compound lift, and is effectively half the lift a squat is. In addition there are far fewer “moving” parts in a deadlift relative to a squat.

The average joe that cannot out deadlift their squat is pathological.

There are niche athletes (certain power lifters) and just bizarre freaks (oly lifters who don’t really train traditional deadlift) who’s ratios are close or even inverted, but that’s more a function of an insane squat.

Long story short, your backsquat should be around 80-90 ish percent of your deadlift, depending on how experienced you are.

I can generally get an average late twenties early thirties male off the street and get them deadlifting 200.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

A week ago I was proud of myself for being able to do 3x3 270lbs until I saw a video of my friend doing 345lbs.

And now that I'm seeing this, I feel even worse*.

*motivated

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Don’t be discouraged bro, I’ve been squatting religiously for like five years.

I should be much higher but I like the crossfits too much.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

Deadlift uses the highest percentage of musculature in your body for a singe non compound lift, and is effectively half the lift a squat is. In addition there are far fewer “moving” parts in a deadlift relative to a squat.

The average joe that cannot out deadlift their squat is pathological.

There are niche athletes (certain power lifters) and just bizarre freaks (oly lifters who don’t really train traditional deadlift) who’s ratios are close or even inverted, but that’s more a function of an insane squat.

Long story short, your backsquat should be around 80-90 ish percent of your deadlift, depending on how experienced you are.

I can generally get an average late twenties early thirties male off the street and get them deadlifting 200.

Yeah, I figured if I can deadlift 215 I should be able to squat at least 145+.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kelp Me! posted:

There’s also lot about of technique fixes and But your really need someone with you.

If you want to pm me a video I’d be happy to look at whatever.

Or post a vid in this thread and get lots of dudes hitting on you (no homo)

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I need a squat coach as well. I'd say try to get one in person. It's a constant uphill battle otherwise if you're predisposed to loving up squats.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Im just hitting parallel. No matter what i do i just cant get deeper. Im gonna try shoes and ankle stretching but after that idk what in doing wrong.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Ferret King posted:

I need a squat coach as well. I'd say try to get one in person. It's a constant uphill battle otherwise if you're predisposed to loving up squats.

I don't trust any of the trainers at my gym though :(

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kelp Me! posted:

Go to a better gym

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Honestly, i really feel like squatting is learning by doing

Just start super light and then add weight each day

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
This thread's as gay as me rubbing my nipples when my buddy compliments my shirt.

So, not really, but yeah fairly so.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Grump posted:

Honestly, i really feel like squatting is learning by doing

Just start super light and then add weight each day

It breaks down eventually. Glad it worked for you.

Kelp Me! posted:

You'll need to visit another gym a time or two

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah, I mean I started at like 70 and worked my way up to 115, but at such light weights I feel like I could have been getting away with lovely form.

I don't mind visiting another gym, the 3 closest to me require a membership for any training sessions though :fuckoff:

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Kelp Me! posted:

Is this starting out or close to it? Because that's pretty normal imo for someone just starting out. I think when I started my deadlift was around 185-200 and my squat about 115.

e: Nevermind, saw last post. I'm not sure. Leverages can affect it, for instance if you arms are really long in relation to the rest of you that will generally make your deadlift better.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Sludge Tank posted:

Im just hitting parallel. No matter what i do i just cant get deeper. Im gonna try shoes and ankle stretching but after that idk what in doing wrong.

You are probably not using the right stance width or pointing your toes in the right direction. Everyone has different hip anatomy and you will need to find the right groove for you

check out this video for more info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fob2wWEC72s

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sludge Tank posted:

what I used to do was at home just do the slav squat for a little bit, just get used to getting as deep as possible in the squat, plus balance there for a few mins each day

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Welp. My seasonal sinus infection is making a comeback this week. How have humans not evolved from allergies yet???

Still went to the gym today and had the worst session ever

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Because we live ling enough that the one week a year of seasonal allergies doesn't keep us from loving so there's no selection for it.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

FYI, I've never had sex with a woman, and I'm pretty sure allergies are to blame for it

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

So I kinked my neck/shoulder doing front raises today. Either this is what it means to get old or I'm just lovely. Didn't seem to affect my presses though, 2x6reps at 100lbs for OHP and repped out 80 and 90lbs for DB shoulder press, so I guess I'll just live it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
do some of those dumb upside down wall OHP things next time too :grin:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Why do you do front raises?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ive seen the future, gents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8pyqXSAo3Q

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

sassassin posted:

Why do you do front raises?

This is a very good question. Just looking to get some small shoulder stuff in addition to the big ones?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I just do lateral raises and face pulls for small shoulder stuff. I feel like my front delts get hammered enough with bench and ohp

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
LMAO week 4 day 1 of meso 2.

My body is broken.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Defiant Sally posted:

LMAO week 4 day 1 of meso 2.

My body is broken.

The end of mesocycle 2 is basically torture wrapped up in an xlsx file.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

This is a very good question. Just looking to get some small shoulder stuff in addition to the big ones?

Only pro bodybuilders need extra front delt work.

Do rear and medial delt stuff.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

That looks like a giant waste of money

And potentially fun

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

I love that you can only get in like 2 good pushes and you've reached the wall lol

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

buddhanc posted:

That looks like a giant waste of money

And potentially fun

800 dollars.

Emily Bridgers won it at something and soon it'll be the best drunk toy since that breathalyzer my parents got me for Christmas.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

FizFashizzle posted:

800 dollars.

Emily Bridgers won it at something and soon it'll be the best drunk toy since that breathalyzer my parents got me for Christmas.

Oh my god you got one too?

Isn't that the best drinking game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Oh my god you got one too?

Isn't that the best drinking game?

My mom got me one as a stuffing stocker once and I didn’t at first get how good a gift it was.

It was one of the ones that had three lights, green yellow and red.

Green = no drinks
Red = failed

Not sure what yellow was.