Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generalissimo
Jun 13, 2003

Kanos posted:

- I'm not sure how playing them when they were new is an actual gain as compared to playing them now. You can achieve the exact same experience right this instant, if you want.
There's nothing stopping people from rolling a new account if they want to have the great experience of a new player, right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
think about all the daily mithril new players have missed out on!!!

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

Generalissimo posted:

There's nothing stopping people from rolling a new account if they want to have the great experience of a new player, right now.

This is also a great point. Imagine all the mythril you'd have.

But imagine leveling again, farming orbs, clearing torments. No five dooms. Multiplayer motes gone forever.

This is just event mythril too. How much more have you gained from logins, random rewards and DeNa fuckups? Thousands more?

Besides I like mythril as much as the next guy but this auto battle is hardly riveting gameplay. At least there was a challenge in these challenge events back then.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

As a new player I'm enjoying being showered in mythril and steamrolling many of these old events I missed.

Looks like the 1/2 stamina bonus on Realm Dungeons ended though. I hope they do that again soon.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

DizzyBum posted:

As a new player I'm enjoying being showered in mythril and steamrolling many of these old events I missed.

Looks like the 1/2 stamina bonus on Realm Dungeons ended though. I hope they do that again soon.

Every month when they add more realm dungeons.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Old players also got to use all of this event mythril on actual pulls. New people will need to spend multiple pulls worth on just refreshing their stamina to get through it all in time.

Also, anyone who is complaining about having better than minior KO resist prior to this event is a giant baby.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
What was Five Dooms, other than an event that seems to be looked back on fondly? People keep mentioning it, but I don't even know.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Prism posted:

What was Five Dooms, other than an event that seems to be looked back on fondly? People keep mentioning it, but I don't even know.

It apparently dropped veritable shitton of the job motes.

Empowered Motes:
Monk Mote - 80
Knight Mote - 80
Dragoon Mote - 40
Machinist Mote - 40
Ninja Mote - 40
Samurai Mote - 40
Spellblade Mote - 40
Thief Mote - 40

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mithross posted:

Also I think maybe they felt like since they brought out a new version of shout (well, two if you count physical USB OK) they had to update wall.

Nu!Wall came out before Quina's Shout-proshellga USB :ssh:

If anything, it's a version of Wall they can put on banners while still insisting that said banners are SSB+ or even 6*-only. No more having to dance around loopholes of "yeah we've got all the relics here that boost your stats for mastering, but also wall because wall is really broken poo poo and people are demanding it even now" (see: Dr. Mog's beginner banners)

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
They could be thinking of Ramza's Enholy & Shout BSB too. Either way, we've got at least 3 direct Shout upgrades out there with Quina USB, OK's Ninja USB and Ramza BSB2. Maybe Y'shtola will get a Wall USB2 to make us forget about her first one.

Speaking of Wall availability, there was also a gem-banner in Japan where you could pick an SSB or LMR, but Y'shtola and Tyro have their Wall relics available instead of an SSB. A month or two before 3rd Anniversary, I think.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 18, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Mithross posted:

It apparently dropped veritable shitton of the job motes.

Empowered Motes:
Monk Mote - 80
Knight Mote - 80
Dragoon Mote - 40
Machinist Mote - 40
Ninja Mote - 40
Samurai Mote - 40
Spellblade Mote - 40
Thief Mote - 40

Yeah, it's a pretty stark divide between people who were here for it and those who weren't, it's basically the difference between having 2 characters with access to Omega Drive / Mug Bloodlust etc. and 4 (or 6), plus you get to shatter all the extra copies of those abilities, which for a long time was the difference between having 6* abilities at R2 vs R3 unless you did a shitton of grinding.

I mostly just want it so I can have more options on who to bring with 6* abilities, since without the event you basically only got enough to dive the "best" characters that you had great SBs for vs. your favorites, and there's a bunch of new relics I've drawn that would make certain characters a hell of a lot more flexible if I had the motes to unlock those skills.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty stark divide between people who were here for it and those who weren't, it's basically the difference between having 2 characters with access to Omega Drive / Mug Bloodlust etc. and 4 (or 6), plus you get to shatter all the extra copies of those abilities, which for a long time was the difference between having 6* abilities at R2 vs R3 unless you did a shitton of grinding.

Ignoring the point about shattering extra copies (which is still valid), the only Mote Skills that this even really makes a huge difference for are Snowspell Strike, Mug Bloodlust, and Sky High.

Stitch in Time will get a little notice when it gets buffed, but even then you don't really hear about people running it on their ninjas very often - after all, the Top Ninja USBs work around the pre-existing two-skill combos that just came out recently in global. Lifebane falls short of Omega Drive in every instance except for doublecasting (Master Legend Sphere when :smith:) and being able to run it on multiple units (Omega Drive, as a Nightmare-earned skill, can only be made once). Aegis Strike/Penalty Strike/Demonsblood are hardly even worth making to crush, much less worth using.

So basically, "bring back Five Dooms without the crappy filler skills".

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

KataraniSword posted:

Ignoring the point about shattering extra copies (which is still valid), the only Mote Skills that this even really makes a huge difference for are Snowspell Strike, Mug Bloodlust, and Sky High.

Stitch in Time will get a little notice when it gets buffed, but even then you don't really hear about people running it on their ninjas very often - after all, the Top Ninja USBs work around the pre-existing two-skill combos that just came out recently in global. Lifebane falls short of Omega Drive in every instance except for doublecasting (Master Legend Sphere when :smith:) and being able to run it on multiple units (Omega Drive, as a Nightmare-earned skill, can only be made once). Aegis Strike/Penalty Strike/Demonsblood are hardly even worth making to crush, much less worth using.

So basically, "bring back Five Dooms without the crappy filler skills".

I have to imagine they'll add more 6* skills at some point, unless they already have in Japan and I've just never heard about it. Buffing some of them would be nice (and it's kinda weird that they aren't doing that considering all the other buffs flying around) but I mean I'll still gladly take those lovely skills and break them in half to get crystals for the ones I actually use.

edit: But yeah, mostly I just want more Spellblade, Thief, and Dragoon motes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

KataraniSword posted:

200 refreshes for at least 700-800 mythril and a boatload of orbs/eggs/skills/5* accessories, assuming the later realms (notably 7, 8, and 10) are as affluent as 4/5/6 are.

If anything, the hard part is going to be finding the spare time to do all that poo poo in the next 18 days.

Takes me 60-90 minutes to churn through a banner's mythril levels, with the short stages meaning I need to keep interacting with the phone. So yeah, with 7 banner's for ff6 this is turning into a job.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i don't think these banner reopenings were all that great of an idea

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I dunno. 254 mythril after hitting single digits during the Fest feels pretty good. 2/3rds done with FF3 and have all of FF4, FF5 and all but one FF6 to go after a year break from the game.

This is going a loooooooong way to making up for the massive amount of mythril spent during the first year on 0/11 pulls.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

I'm not sure how meta defining Tyro's usb3 is going to be. It's a nice all in one defensive buff but with it lacking a boost you're still bringing Rikku/OK/etc. It's definitely nice but I don't know how much mithril I'd throw at it.

The flexibility is really really good, but when I brought it up, it's with his lmr too, which gives you so many more options to make a team. Heck, Ramza's and Onion's lmrs out this over the top. The best lmrs in the game.

Plus, until they increase caps, it's increasingly easy to hit them with Magicites.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I just think they way they are doing them is really dumb. I'm a brand new player, which is something that is not that uncommon given that they just had a crazy event with a bunch of new poo poo.

That means I have every single dungeon to do. And they are releasing them daily. I have no time to do literally anything else and I feel like some people might get burnt out.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Definitely should have been staggered a bit more, or at least not have them all close at the same time.

They honestly could have slowly leaked these over time to pad out the other content and people probably would have been just as happy.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Mithross posted:

Every month when they add more realm dungeons.

Cool, good to know :cool:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Prav posted:

i don't think these banner reopenings were all that great of an idea

It's definitely in monkey paw wish territory.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The good of it definitely outweighs the bad, there's just some frustrating bad parts.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The stitch in time buff is pretty much worthless to anyone not named Fujin. The ninja magic cap is too low to care about the buff and if you're running physical ninja, odds are both your slots are already full. It's almost more valuable as a double quick hit.

Also Japan got a wind version of Lightning Dive which makes me question the viability of Sky High. Did it get buffed significantly?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
leave it to DeNA, they said

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nihilarian posted:

Also Japan got a wind version of Lightning Dive which makes me question the viability of Sky High. Did it get buffed significantly?

Not really; I forgot Aerial Dive came out, honestly, since I hadn't been playing during its release event.

The potency numbers for Sky High are currently 4x 1.06/1.18/1.29/1.41/1.53/1.65 for 0/1/2/3/4/5+ allies airborne. The JP buffs just push it all up one grade - instead it's 1.18/1.29/1.41/1.53/1.65/1.77 for the same number of jumpers.

That means, post-buff, it's 0.2x stronger than Aerial Dive and has a non-elemental aspect (Aerial Dive is 100% Wind, Sky High is Wind/NE). In exchange, Aerial Dive's easier to hone up. Sky High's another one for the Discard Pile, in that case.

That leaves Snowspell Strike (the only single target Ice or Wind elemental spellblade with more than one hit, and significantly stronger than 5* twinstrikes, too - a total of 4.40 spread over four hits post-buff vs 3.20 over the same) and Mug Bloodlust (-30% ATK/DEF to enemy/+30% ATK/DEF to self, stacks with other buffs/debuffs) as the only unqualified "good" prizes out of the Five Dooms motes. Again, Lifebane is good for certain folks (People who have Master legend dived, or who run a monk alongside their dived Cloud/Noctis) but it's not going to win out all the time. Allegro Con Moto is also good, but bard motes weren't part of Five Dooms.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 18, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sky High gets the 10% NE buff from Noctis's USB!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fister Roboto posted:

Sky High gets the 10% NE buff from Noctis's USB!

But loses the various +Combat bonuses from his dive that he gives to Omega Drive. :pseudo: The only reason you'd use Sky High over OD in most cases is explicitly to hit the weakness, in which case the buff doesn't apply.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

KataraniSword posted:

Aegis Strike/Penalty Strike/Demonsblood are hardly even worth making to crush, much less worth using.

Isn't Aegis Strike at least worth having on the basis of being an AoE Holy option that can be run alongside Alexander and doesn't rely on having BSB access for [insert Holy-element Knight character here]?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

KataraniSword posted:

Lifebane falls short of Omega Drive in every instance except for doublecasting (Master Legend Sphere when :smith:) and being able to run it on multiple units (Omega Drive, as a Nightmare-earned skill, can only be made once).

This is not true. Lifebane also has a higher (non-Cloud-USB) damage cap than Omega Drive and is much, much easier to boost the damage of since there isn't a +40% Combat Damage RM (or any +Combat Damage RM, for that matter) and general physical damage boosts are much rarer than school-based ones in Record and Legend Dives.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Oh, not all the stages in the early banners have mythril. I thought they did up until the boss rush stages. That'll save some stamina in my "hit the mythril and see what I need to fill gaps later" strategy.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Bruceski posted:

Oh, not all the stages in the early banners have mythril. I thought they did up until the boss rush stages. That'll save some stamina in my "hit the mythril and see what I need to fill gaps later" strategy.

really? i thought every event was worth 10 mythril

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

W.T. Fits posted:

Isn't Aegis Strike at least worth having on the basis of being an AoE Holy option that can be run alongside Alexander and doesn't rely on having BSB access for [insert Holy-element Knight character here]?

I actually honed the drat thing, as it was of critical importance to me in clearing the Tactics D300 CM. It has its niches, but it's not something you should be using on the regular in your holy-focused teams.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Some of the events don't have their 10 mythril in order. Some have them further on because they had more individual stages, but they should all have 10.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

That's probably why. For example the second FF6 banner has 7 stages in the front end, all with mythril, so only three in the back (2, 3 and 6) do

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
So I've been power-refreshing through events and the amount of eggs alone is insane. I probably have 4 or 5 more characters capped already and I'm only partway through FFIV.

To contribute to Renewal chat, I understand that there are salty vets, but here are some things to keep in mind:

- it's taking a lot of goddamn time. With my connection, life, and other time considerations, I need to chain dungeons all day and I'm still only getting ~4 events done a day. I'm worried I'm not going to be able to finish everything.
- we're wasting mythril refreshing, and I'll be spending around 100 before the event is done, whereas vets got to take these on one per week at their leisure.
- we're probably going to have to skip stages/events.
- I'm lucky because I blasted through realm dungeons to cap stamina and save mythril for the 30th, but many, many newer players don't have anywhere near capped stamina and have to spend more mythril.

Like don't get me wrong, this is fantastic and I love the opportunity to get a ton of poo poo, but I'm basically busting my rear end for the rewards.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It seems that people are completely missing the fact that I am not a day one player and am benefitting from the renewals a lot before jumping on a dogpile to scream about entitlement because I asked that something cool be given to a group of players that I'm not in. I like the renewals! I think they're great for new players and an awesome gift from DeNA, and I'm happy for everyone who is benefitting from them! I'm in the mines grinding away at events I haven't done like the rest of you and it's paying off a couple of frivolous pulls I otherwise wouldn't have been able to do.

I just think it would be nice to give a token thank you gift to the veterans who dealt with this game when it was a whole lot shittier than it is now. I don't see how that's whiny or entitled or unfair at all. They literally already did this exact same thing that I'm suggesting in Japanese FFRK when they redid the realm dungeons by giving veterans who had completed them already a bunch of stuff.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I can't really be grumpy with the FFRK devs, considering they gave us all two free pulls over botching those banners. The game is consistently fair and good and I've gotten years of fun out of it.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Didn't mean to sound accusatory, my bad! I'm probably just imagining the worst after reading reddit and gamefaqs whines.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
As a brand new player (just started a month ago) all the stuff to do is overwhelming and I don't know if I'm going to have enough time or gumption to finish it all. It's nice to have all this stuff available, but I'd liked it more if it was spread out over a month so I didn't have to think about it all at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Again I have to pick a gem relic. God drat it! Luckily my second Crystal Tower relic was an easy choice with Fujin. But this one is tougher. But I've narrowed it down to four:

Edward
Ceodore
Setzer
Sazh

I hate this picking relics stuff. It's too hard. Give me the gacha way where I just have to work with what I'm given.

• Locked thread