Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I have trouble with Altair as a non-tank in Squadron mode but it's still better than leveling disused classes by running dungeons with pubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

super sweet best pal posted:

I have trouble with Altair as a non-tank in Squadron mode but it's still better than leveling disused classes by running dungeons with pubs.

I think he only targets you with the poison goop. So in the second half of that fight you can just stay away from him and let your squad handle him yourself if you're having trouble with him healing. Combine that with the engage bug and you can melt him fast.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So which FC on Excalibur is the gooniest one for me to join?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Regarding Squadron dungeons, the npcs are probably classified as pets and are thus ineligible to trigger mechanics. Like the ice sprites in stone Vigil won't spawn until you walk past their spawn point even if the squadron has already charged ahead for the patrolling add. The final boss will also only target you for the ice aoes when he's in the air too.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Bolow posted:

What the hell is up with the aggro radius on Bard? I'm doing fates and without even changing targets I just seem to attract all kinds of poo poo from everywhere. This wasn't an issue on my Dragoon or Warrior so I'm kind of confused

If you use a controller then it's super easy to auto attack a distant enemy in the fraction of a second they are targeted while trying to target the guy right in front of you.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Bolow posted:

Speaking of cooldowns, as a Warrior should I be using Inner Beast on trash pulls or just chaining my defensive cd's as needed? Right now I have a bad habit of seeing my beast gauge strictly as the amount of Fell Cleaves I can belt out and not as a survival tool, and I'm generally too busy spamming overpower to actually build gauge outside of using Infuriate so I can crack off a Decimate or Cyclone.

Also Raw Intuition is real liberal with what constitutes a "flank"

Steel Cyclone had its healing buffed to 100% of damage dealt, per-target (or a very close fraction thereof) and makes Steel Cyclone a very good thing to use. With enough targets you could go from 0-100 in one GCD.

edit: More realistically, it'll be less but in cases like Doma Castle with the spiders or Ala Mhigo with the dogs, 50% is not outrageous.

edit edit: Personally, I will try to pair up cooldowns when big pulling. Rampart and Vengeance, I back up with self-healing from Cyclone, Raw Intuition always gets Awareness, Convalescence gets Thrill, and Equilibrium always gets Berserked. Remember to pop Shake as one of your eligible cooldowns is about to fall off, too, because that's a thing now.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 19, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So I tried to do Zurvan EX with randoms just now.

I guess the good thing I can say is that I got the clear. Eventually. After a lot of group reeing.

Too bad I have to do it all over again for the mount. :smith:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

What's that pointy thing over the horizon?

It's the Susano Squad!

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

But that's not Susano's sword?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Hey y'all, I just picked this up last week on a whim. I had never played an MMO before, so I figured I'd give it a shot to see what I've been missing. So far I've been having a nice time going through the story and doing the Duties. I'm currently a Lvl 27 Conjurer. One question I have is: does the game every ramp up in difficulty? So far all of the dungeons and quests have been about spamming my attack spells and then switching to spamming heals for a bit. Did I just pick a boring class, or is the game just intentionally going easy on me for now?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

giogadi posted:

Did I just pick a boring class, or is the game just intentionally going easy on me for now?

The latter. Difficulty picks up not far from where you're at. The switch between damage spells / healing spells doesn't change on a fundamental level, but it does get a little more complex (do you AoE, do you wait until the last second to drop an instant cast heal, etc.) and encounter design gets considerably more complex/unforgiving (with some exceptions for leveling dungeons).

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

giogadi posted:

Did I just pick a boring class, or is the game just intentionally going easy on me for now?

The first 40 or so levels are designed for Japanese players who'd never played a WoW-style MMO before and were being introduced to it via Final Fantasy. Seen in that context, what they give you and the pace at which they give it to you makes a lot more sense.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Thanks, I’m glad to hear that! I was worried that MMO’s were just too easy for my preferences. I look forward to when the pace picks up.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

giogadi posted:

Thanks, I’m glad to hear that! I was worried that MMO’s were just too easy for my preferences. I look forward to when the pace picks up.

I'm excited to hear back after you've tried an EX primal for the first time, so please consider sharing if and when you do.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

giogadi posted:

Ex primals/savage raiding require some pretty unforgiving play by 8 people, and in some instances a single person loving up will wipe you out. I've always described MMO raiding (When done well) as an elaborate dance where everyone has to know the steps or someone (or potentially everyone) dies.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

giogadi posted:

it should be noted that FFXIV is easy for anyone who has ever played a video game before until you start doing max level, optional content. that doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable but I can count the number of times I died doing solo content on one hand and I've been playing for over 4 years, and 4-man dungeon group content only gets difficult when you either start pushing yourself with large group pulls or when your group is really bad (and even then that tends to result in stuff just going really slowly).

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ibblebibble posted:

What's that pointy thing over the horizon?

It's the Susano Squad!

What's the item list for that?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

So. Just did a Skalla, with me as RDM and another RDM as DPS. And, welll...

:shepicide:

No, you don't have to guess, Roger was indeed the tank. I won't lie and say I'm a top tier DPS, but I still managed more than 50% of this party's damage while the other idiot 1) didn't seem to understand verfire existed, 2) hardcasted veraero/thunder and dualcasted jolt 2, except when he'd cast jolt 2 and then not dualcast anything, and 3) did not seem to understand that AOE existed as a concept. I mean, on the last boss...

:psyduck:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Argas posted:

What's the item list for that?

Head and sword are from Doma Castle, chest is the level 64 levelling gear, gloves are AF3, trousers are sky pirate (I think, will have to double check) and the boots are AF2.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Asimo posted:

So. Just did a Skalla, with me as RDM and another RDM as DPS. And, welll...

:shepicide:

No, you don't have to guess, Roger was indeed the tank. I won't lie and say I'm a top tier DPS, but I still managed more than 50% of this party's damage while the other idiot 1) didn't seem to understand verfire existed, 2) hardcasted veraero/thunder and dualcasted jolt 2, except when he'd cast jolt 2 and then not dualcast anything, and 3) did not seem to understand that AOE existed as a concept. I mean, on the last boss...

:psyduck:

Yeah, you don't have to say any more after "hardcast veraero/verthunder" because that's just the biggest dumbness. There is no coming back from that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rhymenoserous posted:

and in some instances a single person loving up will wipe you out.

This is not an exaggeration. At least one of the EX fights has a mechanic where one person dying instantly kills the entire party.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is not an exaggeration. At least one of the EX fights has a mechanic where one person dying instantly kills the entire party.

Fond memories in A6S of the person with lightning/water dying and exploding and wiping the entire raid. And by 'fond' memories I mean 'gently caress that fight'.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is every fight in Mythic WoW: Legion

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This is every fight in Mythic WoW: Legion

Also pretty much every recent EX primal fight too. Sephirot, Thordan, Lakshmi, Susano, Shinryu all have mechanics which will kill parties outright with one person loving up.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, but at least there's only 8 people who can gently caress up in FFXIV.

1 mistake wiping you when there's 20? Good luck.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
bring back ozma

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Truga posted:

bring back ozma

Hashmal, Bringer of Order says 'I Order you a pizza!'

And then everyone has pizza.
There is even pizza for everyone: delayed damage pizza, meteor pizza, squished pizza, double-squished pizza, pizza cutter left and right, The Giant Tower Of Pizza, pizza slices etc.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 19, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hashmal is so simple, I don't know how people gently caress it up so much. I can understand how they gently caress up Argath because the wording of "scatter" is poor and the simon says mechanic isn't super apparent to begin with.

They hosed up a couple of mechanics translations in this patch actually, what with Kelpie doing the opposite of what he says.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

They hosed up a couple of mechanics translations in this patch actually, what with Kelpie doing the opposite of what he says.

Kelpies being lying shits sounds like a feature.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Hashmal is so simple, I don't know how people gently caress it up so much. I can understand how they gently caress up Argath because the wording of "scatter" is poor and the simon says mechanic isn't super apparent to begin with.
For me, a lot of the trouble with Hashmal was being in the wrong place at the wrong time. If you're on the wrong side of the arena when he comes in for the charge, there literally isn't enough time to make it out. And as a healer, that's essentially instant death. But I think the group I ended up with the first time died maybe 4 times before getting it down, which isn't too bad?

quote:

Man, gently caress Kelpie.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I actually think this was a pretty great idea. Keeps you focused on the whole fight. The actual poo poo boss of Skalla is poisontongue. "Okay so I managed to successfully aviod killling the party with the donut, sure my dps suffered a little but I can make it up late- THAT loving TAIL SWEEP"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It might just be because I do ex on poorly geared DPS classes for this point of the cycle but the final boss of Skalla seems to have insane amounts of hitpoints.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
DRK question:

Is DA-Abyssal Drain supposed to murder your MP like that?

I mean, I can't even drop Grit to use Blood Weapon to help recoup the cost, can I?

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

Also all the of the bracelets from Skalla are called amulets.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just saw that as a talisman type thing rather than a straight gently caress up but it probably is, given the rest of the game being a bit wish washy this time out

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SwissArmyDruid posted:

DRK question:

I mean, I can't even drop Grit to use Blood Weapon to help recoup the cost, can I?

Yes, because you should be doing this with lots of enemies so that you can use Blood Price + Quietus to recoup the MP cost.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

DRK question:

On big pulls, blood price + diversion + quietus means you're overflowing with MP and it's not an issue.

On small pulls, I don't bother doing DA ADs

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Got the mve tht lets you backflip out of battle as dragoon its pretty fun

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Got the mve tht lets you backflip out of battle as dragoon its pretty fun

make sure to use it on the titan fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

make sure to use it on the titan fight

Always save it to cross gaps on fights that have spaces you can fall through, or to escape the boss on platforms with limited space.

Isn't that literally what the dragoon did in the 32-bit Titan Extreme video S-E release, or am I imagining it and he actually just hung out in the red zone?