Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

slap me and kiss me posted:

Just because they slapped "vege" on the front doesn't mean that they're on the side of angels.
Yeah. I agree there. Vegepygmies are legacy monsters from that Alien Spaceship adventure so they kept their name from that.

Serf posted:

Neither of those things are real. They were made up by people. One of them is a racist caricature summoned up from centuries of colonialism. The other appears to be a bog-standard fantasy being. Maybe its racist against the villain of True Detective?
I know that neither are real. But at this point I just feel like you guys are just going to refuse to understand were I am coming from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That's because you're coming from a hopefully willingly obtuse position of being pretty ding dang racist, skip.

Serf
May 5, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah. I agree there. Vegepygmies are legacy monsters from that Alien Spaceship adventure so they kept their name from that.

I know that neither are real. But at this point I just feel like you guys are just going to refuse to understand were I am coming from.

The place you are coming from is...?

"I'm okay with racist imagery that comes from Wizards of the Coast"

or

"Drawn pictures cannot possibly use influences from the real world and therefore the bone-wearing 'monster' woman was completely created from a person's imagination"

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

MonsterEnvy posted:

The same unintelligent legacy monsters that ate rotten meat, wore loincloths, had topknots for hair?

I wonder what the problem is...

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Don't like it, don't buy it. Why does any art have to go through some PC filter to ensure it doesn't offend anyone?

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Haggins posted:

Don't like it, don't buy it. Why does any art have to go through some PC filter to ensure it doesn't offend anyone?

Probably for the same reason that they don't sell Song of the South anymore.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Haggins posted:

source your quotes

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Serf posted:

The place you are coming from is...?

"I'm okay with racist imagery that comes from Wizards of the Coast"

or

"Drawn pictures cannot possibly use influences from the real world and therefore the bone-wearing 'monster' woman was completely created from a person's imagination"

It could also be as dumb as "Everything about my favorite game is good. Racism is not good. Therefore there can't be any racism in my favorite game. "

Haggins posted:

If the company publishing the game claiming it to be diverse and inclusive, then yeah, that's probably something they should do. The other options are for them to not make any claims about being diverse and inclusive, or even to make statements about SJW PC shittery ruining everything and how they will not be cowed, which I guess would play pretty well with many of their customers.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 18, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I think ToA still has some hella problematic stuff but that hag is a kindly grandma chassis they slapped a bunch of creepy stuff on.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Haggins posted:

I mean, I sure ain't buying it. But I ain't gotta buy it to know that poo poo stinks.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

mango sentinel posted:

I think ToA still has some hella problematic stuff but that hag is a kindly grandma chassis they slapped a bunch of creepy stuff on.
Yeah I don't think that one is really the best example.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

This poo poo just seems like a witch hunt akin to what the Christians in the 80's did. Instead of indoctrinating kids to worship Satan now it's making them Klan members.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Haggins posted:

This poo poo just seems like a witch hunt akin to what the Christians in the 80's did. Instead of indoctrinating kids to worship Satan now it's making them Klan members.

Want some Tiki torches to complain about it?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Haggins posted:

lmao sure, this is the new satanic panic

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Haggins posted:

1980s: D&D contains real spells that will make your children murder each other.
2017: This product contains racist imagery and content.

Yes, much the same.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Haggins posted:

If you feel strongly about it why don't you engage in the conversation instead of dropping snarky one-liners?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Uncritically presenting the views 19th century travelers had on african societies is pretty bad and pointing that out is not the same as saying D&D is satanic

Serf
May 5, 2011

christians in the 80s: your books make kids worship satan
black bloggers in 2017: hey maybe do better when creating your fantasy africa

same thing

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm gonna gulag Black Leaf for racism.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Then write your own better fantasy Africa if you don't like it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Haggins posted:

Then write your own better fantasy Africa if you don't like it.

lol

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

The Crotch posted:

I'm gonna gulag Black Leaf for racism.

"Hey look we dont think sneaking into this town in blackface is really the best of disguises why dont you"

"WHAT, TRIGGERED MUCH, CANT HANDLE THINGS WITHOUT YOUR PC FILTER HUH!"

"Yeah so uhh Black Leaf falls into a pit and dies, you should probably leave"

"BLACK LEAF NOOOO! You cant make me quit the game. Please don't! Somebody Save me! You can't do this!"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Long story short: why doesn't not-Africa have even one not-Benin.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What do you guys do to make using a whip viable? I'm thinking Dex paladin for divine smite with oath of vengeance for the mark enemy to stack on the bonus damage.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Haggins posted:

You don't actually want an answer to look this but: because casual racism is personally harmful to the people it denigrates and harmful to society at large by perpetuating norms that oppress minorities.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Someone in the Kotaku article suggested a good replacement for Chult would be Blacklantis.

I think that my D&D not-Africa would feature highly advanced Chultians with significant boosts to stats across the board. The stat gap between Chult and regular FR humans would represent the distance from pure humanity that the rest of forgotten realms diverged. Kinda like Michael Keaton in Multiplicity.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

slap me and kiss me posted:

Someone in the Kotaku article suggested a good replacement for Chult would be Blacklantis.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

What do you guys do to make using a whip viable? I'm thinking Dex paladin for divine smite with oath of vengeance for the mark enemy to stack on the bonus damage.

Never thought about it before. Sounds like that'd work already. Maybe the combination of smite with reach and finesse will work even with the low base damage. Might also make you super tanky since you'll probably have good AC from dex and be able to use a shield.

Take Sentinel as a feat so you can pretend that you're Indiana Jonesing people as you stop their movement with your OA.

e: Picturing the godbothering agile shield+whip guy with the holy smite attack is kinda fun, too. Don't know where I'd go with the character idea, but I bet you get some good suggestions.

e2: Shield Master will make you even tankier if your dex is already good. Plus you can bonus-action shieldpush dudes and then still whip the hell out of them (reach!), which might not be very useful but is a cool image. (And still Smite them too since Smite doesn't use your bonus action).

e3: There might be synergy between Sentinel, having Reach, and being able to 5' push an opponent without using your Action. I'm not with my books right now but I'll have a look later. Like, you might be able to push them away and then continuously stop their move on your OA before they can get adjacent again but I can't remember the exact wording so I might be wrong. There was a multi page discussion a while back about sentinel and polearms that will have the answer if you're prepared to dig through the thread.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 19, 2017

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

Long story short: why doesn't not-Africa have even one not-Benin.

Greenwood could have researched African civilizations or he could have written extensively about the sexual activities of Alustriel Silverhand. As you can see, it was a tough choice.

Just to note that Reggie Hudlin's run on Black Panther was incredibly offensive in its handling of Wakanda relative to Africa, as well as its characterization of everyone in the Marvel universe. In a vacuum the concept is OK but when you start making comparisons, it can get bad really fast.

Chult really needs a well thought out reworking but we're never going to get it with the current set up and release model WotC has right now. Even with its flaws, it's still better than Paizo's treatment so it's something the whole industry needs to look at fixing when dealing with settings based on places outside Europe.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Haggins posted:

Haggins posted:

I'm sorry the mean witch offended you, can I offer you a box of kleenex?

Haggins posted:

Haggins posted:

Why are hags mean and evil all the time? Surely that's offensive to ugly women.

I'm going to be generous and call this incredibly weak, low-effort trolling, because assuming these are your sincere opinions would be very unkind.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Just to note that Reggie Hudlin's run on Black Panther was incredibly offensive in its handling of Wakanda relative to Africa, as well as its characterization of everyone in the Marvel universe. In a vacuum the concept is OK but when you start making comparisons, it can get bad really fast.

Reginald Hudlin is a huge rear end in a top hat but he's not the only writer to ever handle Black Panther. Marvel never should've let his run drag on so long but I don't think it irrevocably taints the character and fictional nation he's from either.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
80 new messages poo poo what did I miss

Nitrousoxide posted:

Nope. The problem with Whip is that, once multiple attacks are involved, you're losing significant damage compared to a 1d8 1h weapon - which is already hard-pressed to compete in damage with a 2h weapon. GWM is simply that strong, and the only 1h option that really keeps up with that in the standard martials is quarterstaves because they're compatible with PAM. Paladins are no different here: Barbarian, Fighter and Ranger all get class abilities that in one way or another add extra damage on top of their basic attacks, and Paladins' just happens to be Smite - you lower their baseline damage, and they *are* going to be worse no matter what you do.

Whip works on Rogues, however. Nominally an optimal Rogue is ranged, and if you go melee then dual-wielding was the way to go since you couldn't use a shield anyway and a BA attack gave you a second chance to apply your Sneak Attack... but then SCAG rolled around, and now there's this beauty called Booming Blade that on your one attack gives you scaling damage plus an effect carrying more damage if the enemy moves. Extra damage on your action, incentive for the enemy not to follow (and punishment if they do), and leaves your BA free for Cunning Action... works like a charm and is what every single-classed melee Rogue wants. And it's just one singular attack, so from a 1d8 rapier to a 1d4 whip all you're losing is ~2 damage, which is a nothing to the overall Rogue DPR.

However! To use Booming Blade with a reach weapon you need the Spell Sniper feat, so get that. You also need a source of Booming Blade, so be a High Elf or go Arcane Trickster.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Reginald Hudlin is a huge rear end in a top hat but he's not the only writer to ever handle Black Panther. Marvel never should've let his run drag on so long but I don't think it irrevocably taints the character and fictional nation he's from either.

It doesn't. It was only an example of Wakanda being offensive with its depiction relative to Africa and how you could take the concept and do more harm than good. I'm sure it's fine now.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Rogues with whips

Sounds good. Are you multiclassing for booming blade, or going arcane trickster? Derp.

What kind of damage numbers are you looking at?

Edit: Booming Blade's "As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell's range" sounds like it might not play nice with Spell Sniper's "A spell that requires you to make an attack roll".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 19, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It doesn't. It was only an example of Wakanda being offensive with its depiction relative to Africa and how you could take the concept and do more harm than good. I'm sure it's fine now.

Absolutely. Among all the other problems that run had, it holds up Wakanda, which does not exist, as a model minority which all the other African countries fail to live up to. Which is crazy gross.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
So now that we've settled savage/primitive humanoid monsters can't be darkskinned, how about we determine what colors we can use? Are they allowed to be redskinned or is that offensive to indians (feather)? Yellow, maybe?

But I suppose it could be seen as bodypaint, so there's no right color. What a conundrum. I guess we should simply trash the entire concept of humanoid monsters as they are clearly cultural appropriation/caricatures of actual human societies that exist or existed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Arguing in bad faith sure is fun.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

So now that we've settled savage/primitive humanoid monsters can't be darkskinned, how about we determine what colors we can use? Are they allowed to be redskinned or is that offensive to indians (feather)? Yellow, maybe?

But I suppose it could be seen as bodypaint, so there's no right color. What a conundrum. I guess we should simply trash the entire concept of humanoid monsters as they are clearly cultural appropriation/caricatures of actual human societies that exist or existed.

Wow

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

People are discussing problematic handling of race in a popular fantasy game? time to lose my mind

Serf
May 5, 2011

maybe don’t create entire cultures or species of sapient beings who exist to be cannon fodder for guilt-free murdering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Serf posted:

maybe don’t create entire cultures or species of sapient beings who exist to be cannon fodder for guilt-free murdering.

That's asking a bit much of a game about guilt-free murdering.