Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Haha Tashigi's taunt in PW3 is her taking off her glasses. If you do, the screen gets fuzzy. Pretty good.

Also she's like the best character in the game?

I love all these little nods in PW3, and I wish they went in on it even more. Like even if it fucks with the game and makes it difficult to play like Sanji's "Cannot attack women" restriction. In fact, especially if it does, since that helps differentiate the characters more.

Like Zoro shouldn't have had a minimap (or at least its forced to be zoomed in all the time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
For Zoro the map should be replaced with a slowly rotating childrens drawing of a family circus style line path through the area with 'north means up right' scrawled on it

brainSnakes fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 18, 2017

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Meme Emulator posted:

I love all these little nods in PW3, and I wish they went in on it even more. Like even if it fucks with the game and makes it difficult to play like Sanji's "Cannot attack women" restriction. In fact, especially if it does, since that helps differentiate the characters more.

Like Zoro shouldn't have had a minimap (or at least its forced to be zoomed in all the time)

Fujitora being immune to Hancock is pretty fun. And one of Brook's attacks is him doing a sword thrust while going 45 degrees! This is a fun game. I always liked the idea of the DW style games but they never really clicked for me. Turns out all they needed was a million cool characters I already like.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

oddium posted:

imagine if oda took an insanely long break to finish the rest of the chapters and then released them at once. haha crazy

Can't wait for the upd8

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/920680903847837696

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

WEEEEEEDDING CAAAAKE HAVE THE MEEEEEEATS

God bless Arby's twitter

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

I didn't even notice the Luffy in the foreground at first :allears:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i didn't even know arbys had that many dessert options

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

DizzyBum posted:

WEEEEEEDDING CAAAAKE HAVE THE MEEEEEEATS

God bless Arby's twitter

goodness bless the person that makes them, arbys sucks and so does capitalist Brand Engagement

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

EmmyOk posted:

I actually don't agree with him being short-sighted because all of his plans have worked out really well and don't seem that off the cuff. Even his plan to get the Dark Dark Fruit was a very long investment, he chose Whitbeard's crew assuming that'd be his best bet of coming across it and that took him years. That's a very long-term plan that would have taken a lot of patience. This is probably one of his biggest contrasts with Luffy, really solid plans that he carries out really well.

You're right, short sighted was a careless word choice on my part and doesn't really apply to Blackbeard. I meant more that Blackbeard didn't really care about consequence or tended to follow whatever possibility presented itself. Arrogant and opportunistic already covers that and does so better though. That said, Blackbeard directly admits that he intended to hand Luffy in to the World Government after finding out Luffy had a 100 million bounty, but then decided to hand in Ace instead when Ace caught up with him after Luffy had gone someplace he couldn't readily follow. He also didn't plan for Luffy to act as a distraction in the Impel Down infiltration, and just intended to go there while the majority of the Government was focused on Ace's execution and fighting Whitebeard. Which itself can't have been a long term plan, because he didn't originally intend to hand over someone Whitebeard would care about and without Luffy causing chaos that distracted Magellan and caused him to leave after defeating Blackbeard, then Blackbeard would have died along with his entire crew.

Blackbeard had one long term plan, a plan that wasn't even that filled in and really just consisted of "join Whitebeard's crew to maximize my chances of finding the fruit I want" and may not have had any more to it. He may always have intended to hand in someone with a 100 million or higher bounty so as to become a warlord and then use that position to go in to Impel Down at some point. I'd doubt it though, because there was never a guarantee there'd be a free warlord position in the first place and even with the position of warlord entry in to Impel Down would normally be rather suicidal outside the one circumstance he took advantage of. If some other crew had found the dark dark fruit, then he'd really have wasted 10 years or whatever. Every thing else he's done has been fairly short term and mostly because he recognized an opportunity and decided to take it, rather than because he had planned long term for it.

Bisse posted:

I would say it still matches his character because he was taking advantage of Ace's personality that time as well. I don't recall if ace didn't know about bb having the darkness fruit, or if he just didn't know all the ins and outs of the how it worked, either way he was not properly prepared for the fight. Ace still relied on his fruit too much and wasn't prepared to fight without it the way e.g. whitebeard was. BB took advantage of that and goaded him into a fight he was at a strong disadvantage in.

I don't see how Ace was any less prepared for the fight or more reliant on his power than Whitebeard was. When Blackbeard used his fruit power to void Ace's, Ace immediately started hitting him physically and Whitebeard did exactly the same thing. Whitebeard was physically stronger than Ace, but was just as reliant on his power normally. Whitebeard was stronger than Ace, that's about it as far as I can see. And that's not surprising given he's several times Ace's size and while shonen regularly has small characters show themselves as more physically capable than bigger characters, Whitebeard is likely to have trained just as much as Ace.

anime was right posted:

we didnt even see how the fight resolved, they just used two big attacks and then it cut away

Hence why I said "as far as we know". Blackbeard may have later gotten his crew's help, but the way the fight is written it suggests he did it on his own, and he certainly did try to take Ace and prove himself Ace's equal on his own in what we saw of the fight.

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, we already know Blackbeard was a haki user from way back in mock town, plus the dude was able to injure Shanks while the latter wasn’t even loving around or otherwise not off guard, the Dark Dark fruit just kinda muddles things because it makes him take hits like a little girl. At least until he absorbs something like Munch Munch and turn into a cyborg...

We don't know that though. All we know is that Blackbeard gave Shanks some scars during a battle, and we have no idea whether Shanks was caught off guard or otherwise occupied and whether Blackbeard was able to do so in a straight forward or underhanded manner.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Bb might actually be the most clever character in the series. And the most like an actual pirate.

Actual pirates tended to ex-navy or former merchant seamen who grew tired off being bossed around by the dictates of Crown and authority in general and their crews were actually quite strict and democratic, with the captain generally sleeping in the same accommodation as the rest of his men and only exerting direct authority in battle, but otherwise having as much say as the quartermaster and most crew decisions needing consensus of the whole crew with many crews having rules about treating any women they came across well, lights out at certain hours and so on. Blackbeard is more in line with the Hollywood depiction of pirates while X Drake or someone is probably the more realistic one.

Larryb posted:

Which is why he's almost guaranteed to be our "final boss". He's basically Evil Luffy (only a lot smarter/stronger) and the Straw Hats already have a personal grudge against him. It just makes the most thematic sense (plus, he's probably the closest thing we've got to a primary villain in this series aside from the WG).

One Piece has plenty of "evil" Luffys, depending on which traits of Luffy you want to focus on. Every arc villain tends to meet that criteria, just because most of them have a central crew of some kind for the Strawhats to defeat. Moria is a good example, as a former dreamer who had his crew crushed and cherished what little living crew he had left, but sought to fulfill his dream by exploiting others in a way he didn't before Kaido defeated him. Also, the Strawhats don't have a personal grudge with him; Luffy does. Luffy has more of a grudge with Akainu though, since while Blackbeard caught Ace and mocked Luffy about it Akainu was the one who killed Ace. Right in front of Luffy in fact. Akainu could also be said to be an antitheses of Luffy, since he values rules and law over freedom. Again, it just depends on which thematic element you want to focus on really.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

When Shanks is warning Whitebeard about Blackbeard he's pretty explicit that he wasn't careless when he got the scars. It'd be a weird thing for him to bring up if it'd been something really underhanded or catching him offguard.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
aww i missed PW3 chat :(

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

AkumaHokoru posted:

No you didnt! Chat about it!

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Marco is loving underrated his attacks make him invulnerable natural regen gets meter really fast the downside is his loving COINNNNNNNNS

I literally forgot i had other games when i got PW3 for about 2 months

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

EmmyOk posted:

When Shanks is warning Whitebeard about Blackbeard he's pretty explicit that he wasn't careless when he got the scars. It'd be a weird thing for him to bring up if it'd been something really underhanded or catching him offguard.

Not really, all he says is that Blackbeard is more than he appears to be and to be careful. It wouldn't be at all weird for him to ask Whitebeard to stop Ace if he suspected Blackbeard was capable of being underhanded or unscrupulous because he'd hurt him by exploiting others or using methods he felt Ace might not be strong enough or experienced enough to survive.

AkumaHokoru posted:

I just replied to people a page or two back, so going back a few posts isn't at all outside the pale.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 19, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I played both PW2 and 3 and Hancock was amazingly broken in 2 and is still really great in 3

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Arist posted:

I played both PW2 and 3 and Hancock was amazingly broken in 2 and is still really great in 3

she's still broken in 3. she's got petrifaction from the start on a easy combo and its chargable it also instantly fills 1 meter if it hits more than like 5 enemies.

I wish koei didnt hate money and gave all the games netplay somehow.

AkumaHokoru fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 19, 2017

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I love PW3 and go back to it every few weeks but my least favorite thing is how you need to S Rank every island in the Dream Log to get the coin that's needed for so many characters to level break.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

AkumaHokoru posted:

Marco is loving underrated his attacks make him invulnerable natural regen gets meter really fast the downside is his loving COINNNNNNNNS

I literally forgot i had other games when i got PW3 for about 2 months

I can't figure out the point of his special ability and it makes me mad

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I think Blackbeard is easy to downplay because he's all "sometimes you have to leave it up to fate" when Luffy's all "grab life with both hands!"

Blackbeard always had a plan. He just knew it would take a lot of luck and almost gave up before he got his chance. Once he got that chance he started to capitalize on it pretty hard. Think about Impel Down -- if Luffy wasn't causing a riot I don't think it's strange to think that Blackbeard could have used his position to bluff his way to the point that he could start freeing people himself before bringing Magellan down on him. But, hey, in the timeline we did get fate smiled on him, like it often seems to.

Luffy draws people to himself. Blackbeard draws opportunities to himself. Sometimes Luffy needs those people to give him a leg up and save him from himself. Sometimes Blackbeard needs circumstances to align to get what he really needs and reverse his fortune. Luffy is impulsive and reckless. Blackbeard is calculating and overconfident. Both of them seem to get what they want.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

oddium posted:

goodness bless the person that makes them, arbys sucks and so does capitalist Brand Engagement

Thank you

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Brands? What Brands? I don't see any Brands.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I should play PW3 is what I guess this thread is saying.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
:hai:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tsob:
I meant more in the oppurtunistic mercenary style that most pirates of the time were like.

I mean its almost believable as a story:
Pirate captain gets in good with officials and gets to be a privateer, exploits that to steal resources/gain a ship/sabotage people.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I can't believe my bud Jul doesn't want me to play a Musou game about One Piece?????

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

What does Marco's fruit do other than turn him into a Phoenix and tank projectile attacks? Cause that's all I've ever seen him do.

Like can he use fire attacks or Phoenix style combat moves? All he did was stonewall Kizaru's attacks a bunch and, uh, just basic haki strikes that you don't need no stinkin' fruit for :shrug:

A bit underwhelming for something rarer than a logia fruit!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Parrotine posted:

What does Marco's fruit do other than turn him into a Phoenix and tank projectile attacks? Cause that's all I've ever seen him do.

Like can he use fire attacks or Phoenix style combat moves? All he did was stonewall Kizaru's attacks a bunch and, uh, just basic haki strikes that you don't need no stinkin' fruit for :shrug:

A bit underwhelming for something rarer than a logia fruit!

Nah, the fire is healing, not offensive uses as far as we know.

The greatest ability of this fruit seems to be that it lets you pretty much recover from anything.

Like, Marco got shot with a laser while seastoned, but was able to heal himself after taking the seastone off. Meaning that you can use it to heal injuries that you sustained even while unable to use your powers.

Compare that to say, Croc, who doesn't have a hand, or Aokiji, who lost a limb (or two) to Akainu.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
he can fuckin fly

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

regenerative, probably immortal (if not wet/seastoned), flying. can shoot fire

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea regen and flying go hand in hand with being a phoenix

he also seems to have similar abilities to logia in that stuff just goes through him, but maybe I'm remembering that wrong

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
hes probably just taking damage and regenerating it

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He should have chopped his hand off to remove the sea prism stone handcuffs then regenerated.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

EmmyOk posted:

He should have chopped his hand off to remove the sea prism stone handcuffs then regenerated.

Pretty sure he was planning on doing so until he happened on Mr. 3.

EDIT: Or maybe I'm misremembering.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I can't figure out the point of his special ability and it makes me mad

Its a get out of jail card. he becomes invulnerable for a moment if i remember the move you mean the little flip thing?

it also can be cancelled into an attack immediately iirc god i wish my xbox controller wasnt busted i'd fire it up right now and check for you.

that game is also underdocumented. i saw full in-depth guides on dw gundam but pirate warriors doesnt get that love

AkumaHokoru fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 19, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hate-Senpai posted:

Pretty sure he was planning on doing so until he happened on Mr. 3.

EDIT: Or maybe I'm misremembering.

I'll have to go back and check but I remember being frustrated about it and then his crewmates say "let's go find that wax guy" when they could have immediately taken his hand off.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

I'll have to go back and check but I remember being frustrated about it and then his crewmates say "let's go find that wax guy" when they could have immediately taken his hand off.

Would his hands grow back if they were removed while his power was deactivated, though? Ace couldn't just turn to flame to restore his internal organs.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Would his hands grow back if they were removed while his power was deactivated, though? Ace couldn't just turn to flame to restore his internal organs.

He got shot a bunch of times with the cuffs on right? Plus his power is regenerating. A Logia just turns to their elemental form to avoid damage they can't use it to fix damage.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Ah yes, getting shot a bunch of times, that famously lethal attack in One Piece :v:

Seriously though, they had a doctor with them so they should have just chopped Marco's hand off and have the doctor sew it back on.
/
:zoro:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

No I mean I'm pretty sure he heals the laser holes and gunshots after he gets the cuffs off him which is damage that was done to him when his powers were negated.