Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

PenguinKnight posted:

i didn't skip a thing for TOS and I didn't skip a thing for TNG. All or nothing :colbert:

Good, because at least one of the episodes these tossers are suggesting you skip has the greatest bit character in all of Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I mean if you want to waste an hour on bad television every now and then you do you

Most of the episodes with bad A plots at least have good B plots in DS9. There's really very few truly terrible episodes

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Kibayasu posted:

Good, because at least one of the episodes these tossers are suggesting you skip has the greatest bit character in all of Star Trek.

I hope you're talking about Zek.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Probably the fat Klingon chef in Melora

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Most of the "infamously" bad Star Trek episodes are actually not that bad compared to the really loving boring ones, like stuff involving Picard's love life or Kirk spilling ham all over the Declaration of Independence.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

when i was watching TNG, i really only found 2-4 episodes that are straight-up unbearable. That video game one was one of them, and the other one was Rascals. The rest of the ones that were bad were just dull and forgettable

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I like Rascals but I don't understand why they didn't tell the kid is name was Pick-ARD and not PEE-card

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

i do like the Guinan and Ro scenes in Rascals :3:

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
gently caress every single person that doesn't love Number One Dad in the Number One Episode.

Worst episode is Force of Nature. The speed limit episode.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

skasion posted:

Probably the fat Klingon chef in Melora

Hell yeah.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

dont even fink about it posted:

Most of the "infamously" bad Star Trek episodes are actually not that bad compared to the really loving boring ones, like stuff involving Picard's love life or Kirk spilling ham all over the Declaration of Independence.

The Omega Glory is bad but it's a way more entertaining bad than The Lights of Zetar which is just a mind-numbingly dull slog.

EDIT: actually on further reflection I'm not sure how Omega Glory is really all that boring, I mean yeah it's still bad writing (that Gene Roddenberry was inexplicably proud of) but there's plenty of poo poo that actually happens

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I watched Meridian last night and it’s not good, but I wouldn’t call it awful. The Quark B-plot makes the other stuff more tolerable.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Rascals has a really bizarre tonal dissonance where everything that happens on camera is super-placid, even the loving space combat is presented as "huh, we're having a less than awesome day aren't we? better route some more power to those deflector grids, i guess", but all the incidental dialogue has poo poo like massive casualties in the secondary hull (I'm envisioning corridors exploding into flames and people screaming as they're burning all Wrath of Khan style) and the crew being enslaved to work in some mining camp.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Rascals is worth it for the reference Odo makes to those events later when he needed a sick burn on Worf.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Rascals has a really bizarre tonal dissonance where everything that happens on camera is super-placid, even the loving space combat is presented as "huh, we're having a less than awesome day aren't we? better route some more power to those deflector grids, i guess", but all the incidental dialogue has poo poo like massive casualties in the secondary hull (I'm envisioning corridors exploding into flames and people screaming as they're burning all Wrath of Khan style) and the crew being enslaved to work in some mining camp.

This puts it so well. A huge group of bridge crew have become children! There are alien pirates! They've taken your vessel, and you are hostages, and you're not even adults! Why is everyone acting like they're in a waiting room for a dentist appointment?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Not to mention O'Brien having to deal with the fact that his wife is now a little girl. In the SFDebris review, Chuck suggested having the whole episode focus on that and make it an analogy for marital strife when one partner suddenly becomes disabled. I don't know if I find the concept horrifying or brilliantly powerful.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There are different uses of the word "bad" here.

Boring poo poo. A lot of TOS episodes are just a slog and they don't get a lot of attention because they're not people crowing over and over about Spock's brain (Spock's Brain is a lot of things, but it isn't boring). Captain Picard, the least French French guy in history, and his backstory and love life really bore me to tears but mileage will vary a lot here.

Clip Shows. Oh 80's-90's serial television. gently caress you.

Completely loving Ridiculous. Most of season 3 TOS. Plots that make no goddamn sense and involve the captain, usually Janeway, committing war crimes or becoming a sociopath just to thread the plot in 44 minutes. Crusher and the Not-Scottish Sex Ghost. This is actually most bad Trek.

Embarrassing. The TNG gang tames the dark continent. The extremely Roddenberry treatment of female characters in TOS that was weird even by 1967 standards. "Believe me, it's better to be dead than to live alone in the body of a woman." - a woman

Not My Star Trek. Episodes where Picard and Riker team up to defeat an alien conspiracy by doing karate kicks and exploding the evil hive-mind's skull with their phasers. Pulpy nonsense where everyone turns into a lizard (has happened at least twice) and maybe fucks. Pretty much every TNG movie.

Rehashes. Re-works of older, better shows (particularly a problem in early TNG).

I'd add in that stuff dealing with the Prime Directive is a shitload of garbage but that's wayyy into personal opinion land.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The prime directive episode with the proto-vulcans is pretty good.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Genesis was a fun episode. It was also a bad episode.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

MorgaineDax posted:

gently caress every single person that doesn't love Number One Dad in the Number One Episode.

Yeah. But I don't think it's the worst, just spectacularly stupid. I get wanting to do an environmental episode at that time. But there just needs to be a better way to go about doing that rather than having lines in future episodes where you just get around the issue with "Starfleet says we can go real fast now".

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

AceOfFlames posted:

Not to mention O'Brien having to deal with the fact that his wife is now a little girl. In the SFDebris review, Chuck suggested having the whole episode focus on that and make it an analogy for marital strife when one partner suddenly becomes disabled. I don't know if I find the concept horrifying or brilliantly powerful.

It would have been interesting and evocative and deep and it would have been cringe as gently caress and I'd hate every moment of it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We already had the episode where Troi gets a "disability" and becomes absolutely awful and can't handle it at all

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Baronjutter posted:

We already had the episode where Troi gets a "disability" and becomes absolutely awful and can't handle it at all

This episode mostly works because it leans into something that was already kind of obvious to the audience but had not really been brought up in the show, which is that Troi is terrible at her job and really just a kind of lovely person who uses her superpower to occasionally compensate for her worthlessness.

I'm not convinced that more focus on O'Brien's child bride would have been a good thing. It's hosed up enough as it is.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

The Bloop posted:

I like Rascals but I don't understand why they didn't tell the kid is name was Pick-ARD and not PEE-card

I was discussing this episode yesterday, and believe it would be immeasurably improved if child-Picard spoke with an offensively overblown french accent.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

dont even fink about it posted:

Rehashes. Re-works of older, better shows (particularly a problem in early TNG).

Also the first 2 seasons of DS9 until it really found its own identity. Okay, the first season and a half, I'll give it that.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

mossyfisk posted:

I was discussing this episode yesterday, and believe it would be immeasurably improved if child-Picard spoke with an offensively overblown french accent.

Now I’m picturing him doing the chef voice from The Little Mermaid.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Also the first 2 seasons of DS9 until it really found its own identity. Okay, the first season and a half, I'll give it that.
Season 2 is mostly good. Season 1 is just eh. The main issue with Season 1 is that it is doing a lot of setup and character building episodes but almost none of the stories really matter beyond the episode it's in. In Season 2 we start to get more episodes that begin plot threads that will play out further along (backstory on the Bajoran occupation/Cardassians, Cardassian politics, the introduction of the Maquis to DS9, introduction of the Dominion, Odo's backstory, etc.).

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

And the episode where Worf gets disabled and demands Riker kill him

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Now I’m picturing him doing the chef voice from The Little Mermaid.

I'm taking this opportunity to possibly be the first person to point out to you that that's actually Rene Auberjonois (Odo).

If you already knew, oh well

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm taking this opportunity to possibly be the first person to point out to you that that's actually Rene Auberjonois (Odo).

If you already knew, oh well

What blew my mind is that Jerry "Lennie Briscoe" Orbach was Lumiere.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

And Voyager. There's a lot of rehashes of TNG or episodes that are two TNG episodes mushed together.

I'm watching the 4th Season and I've seen two already. "Nemesis" where Chakotay gets brainwashed into fighting a war on some planet was pretty similar to Geordi getting brainwashed to become an assassin, although I think the Voyager one was a bit better because didn't tell us right away what was going on.

"Scientific Method" was a combination of the one with that Nagilum creature who was experimenting on the crew until Picard showed he was willing to destroy his ship and kill everyone rather than be lab rats, and that episode with the invisible parasites that only Data could see.

Now that I'm bringing up Voyager, Tom Paris is getting fat in the 4th season.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PostNouveau posted:

And the episode where Worf gets disabled and demands Riker kill him
I think that one made it real clear that Worf was wrong, at least by the lights of the Federation. I t hink they even said a lot of why they couldn't fix him the way they'd fix a Bolian is that Klingon medical science was for poo poo.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

MorgaineDax posted:

The thing I remember about Force of Nature is that the main plot doesn't start until, like, 20-25 minutes in. Something like half the episode is just Data and Geordi hanging around awkwardly in Data's quarters, talking about his cat and waiting for the story to start.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

So in the spirit of Halloween and because I already finished rewatching Stranger Things and didn't feel like watching something new, I've been watching S P O O K Y episodes of TNG.
Really, I just wanted to watch the one with the clicky aliens who abduct people from the Enterprise. I thought that was Night Terrors, so I watched that, and then today I actually watched Schisms.
Night Terrors is, I think, the better episode- there's a sense of weariness and paranoia in the whole crew, the sleep-deprivation hallucinations, and the sense of hopelessness as the ship is drained by the space-wedgie they're stuck in and the crew is drained by the aliens trying to make contact. The bits where Troi is in the dream and flying look super dumb, but everything else is great and feels appropriately desperate.

Schisms, on the other hand, is neat because it's an alien abduction episode in SPACE!?, but lacks any real sense of actual danger. The lack of sleep just makes Riker grumpy and frumpy, instead of driving him literally insane, and the aliens just don't look as creepy as I remember them looking. The holodeck scene is good, except for the bit where the wood table suddenly turns into a metal BDSM chair, because A) Troi actually does something useful that isn't psychic and B) the increasing sense of paranoia as it becomes clear SOMETHING is going on, but what it is ain't exactly clear. Once Riker actually goes to the alien ship, it's too well lit, and just isn't very spooky, and he escapes the aliens like they're a bunch of chumps.

Any other S P O O K Y Star Trek episodes I should queue up? There's Catspaw (it's really boring though) and Sub Rosa (A G-G-G-GHOST!?).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Any other S P O O K Y Star Trek episodes I should queue up? There's Catspaw (it's really boring though) and Sub Rosa (A G-G-G-GHOST!?).

I guess there's always The Haunting of Deck Twelve.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TNG's "Frame of Mind" and the first two times DS9 goes to Empok Nor come to mind.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Phantasms terrified me as a kid. Data dreamt some hosed up stuff. Genesis I find genuinely creepy. Empok Nor if you wanna go the slasher route.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don't remember much of it or if its actually scary/slashy but there's that TNG episode with spider-Barclay and bitey-Worf.

^^Edit: Oh yeah, Genesis, that was it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

I don't remember much of it or if its actually scary/slashy but there's that TNG episode with spider-Barclay and bitey-Worf.

^^Edit: Oh yeah, Genesis, that was it.
It’s kind of a horror episode at times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Spider-Barclay is downright Cronenbergian.