Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Slaan posted:

These are far better than potato fries, FYI. I suggest people try to find some. You'll probably find in them African restaurants, if there are any nearby.

An African restaurant won't be too hard to scare up in Manhattan, if I cared enough to look for one offering them, I would think. Too used to the good ol' potato though, don't think they'll taste quite right. I've tried taro fries though, they aren't too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

GhostStalker posted:

I thought Fort Lewis and McChord Air Base (this was written into the fluff before the two got combined into Joint Base Lewis-McChord in real life in the 90s, I think?) were considered their own separate districts in the Metroplex at last accounting? They might be in Puyallup though, I may be misremembering.

I think it depends on the edition you're reading, but generally anything to do with the base that isn't on the base proper is in Puyallup so I tend to conflate the two. :shrug:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

paragon1 posted:

I think it depends on the edition you're reading, but generally anything to do with the base that isn't on the base proper is in Puyallup so I tend to conflate the two. :shrug:

Makes sense. The place where I saw Fort Lewis as it's own district was the 5th Ed Seattle sourcebook that I flipped through at the Cataylst booth at PAX East in 2015.

Now that I think about it, that was likely just the fort and the airbase proper, with stuff like ranges and support facilities in between considered a part of it. I seem to remember an Ares joint facility for live fire training against paracritters was included in the map or mentioned in the area writeup, and likely more UCAS military-Corporate joint facilities nearby and stuff like that.

Still, the likely off base stuff that springs up around all military posts would probably be considered in Puyallup instead, though Fort Lewis would have some of their own within their environs.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mauman posted:

Here's a strange one I recently discovered.

There is a branch of vegetarianism that allows the eating of seafood. So Krill would still count as being vegetarian under that definition.

This doesn't personally make a lick of sense to me, but whatever. :downs:

It's specific name is Pescetarian or pesco-vegetarian.
Even weirder, there are people who don't eat meat except for fish and chicken.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Someone I work with is vegetarian but eats chicken

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
One of the subplots of the old Sega Genesis Shadowrun game was Stopping the meltdown of a nuclear reactor which is roughly set in the same timeline of this game

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

wedgekree posted:

One of the subplots of the old Sega Genesis Shadowrun game was Stopping the meltdown of a nuclear reactor which is roughly set in the same timeline of this game

Was Jake in the Sega game? Where was it set?

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

Tiggum posted:

Skypie posted:

Someone I work with is vegetarian but eats chicken

I'm a carnivore, but I eat grains and legumes, root vegetables, and some fruit.

I cheat on my diet sometimes, but lol nobody's perfect. :downs:

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

painedforever posted:

Was Jake in the Sega game? Where was it set?

Jake was in the SNES Shadowrun game. The main character of the Genesis game was called Joshua. Both games were 'set' in Seattle roughly around the same time (within a year or so of one another in-universe). They had different themes - the Genesis game had Josha in Seattle investigating the murder of his brother. They didn't have a ton of overlap wtih the same locations or characters. They had different mechanics to them.

One of the things that the Genesis version had that the SNES game did not have as much of was lots of procedurally generated Shadowruns. A big part of the game was going on runs for various Johnsons to get nyuen, karma to unlock things. Story missions were a minor part of the game - a lot of it was dedicated to just base Shadowruns of a normal variety. Wasn't that bad.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

wedgekree posted:

One of the things that the Genesis version had that the SNES game did not have as much of was lots of procedurally generated Shadowruns. A big part of the game was going on runs for various Johnsons to get nyuen, karma to unlock things. Story missions were a minor part of the game - a lot of it was dedicated to just base Shadowruns of a normal variety. Wasn't that bad.

Procedurally generated runs? On a Genesis system? I'm probably envisioning something different from what was actually possible, though.

So, we're approximately in the same timeline as that game? Weird.

We do know that DMS is running at the same time as Dragonfall. You find mention of the Ripper in a BBS. Though, it does make the appearance of a certain character in both games rather... odd. But y'know, that character is kinda odd anyway, so it makes sense in context...? Kinda? Sorta?

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!

painedforever posted:

Procedurally generated runs? On a Genesis system? I'm probably envisioning something different from what was actually possible, though.

There's nothing keeping the Genesis from doing procedural generation. For example, Fatal Labyrinth is a straight-up old school roguelike.

For Shadowrun's non-plot critical missions, all levels (Corp offices, caves, abandoned buildings and Matrix networks) have fixed layouts, but your objective type (for example, Corp runs are typically about getting either a package or an employee out) and location within those levels are randomized, as well as the content of safes and the various events that may or may not occur on your way there. It has a bit of a mad libs feel, but you can never really go "oh I've done this run before, I know exactly where the objective is and everything that's standing in my way".

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Genesis game is set in 2058. SNES is set in 2050. Returns is set sometime in the middle. So I'm a bit off sorry.

But, the Genesis missions were fun. Also #$#! Tar Ice in Matrix runs.

What I enjoyed about the Genesis (focused on Shadowruns aside) was that you could go about things at your own order. The game had three main 'plots' you had to complete to get to the endgame and two subplots you could do that were purely optional but netted nice rewards if completed.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I assume some people in the slums raise rabbits/chickens/nutria on scraps, so real meat wouldn't be entirely unknown. (of course a wageslave would turn green at the thought of eating that.)

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

The Lone Badger posted:

I assume some people in the slums raise rabbits/chickens/nutria on scraps, so real meat wouldn't be entirely unknown. (of course a wageslave would turn green at the thought of eating that.)

eh....

Considering the state of slums in Shadowrun, I'm pretty sure that would attract unwanted attention.

Particularly ones like Redmond.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

mauman posted:

eh....

Considering the state of slums in Shadowrun, I'm pretty sure that would attract unwanted attention.

Particularly ones like Redmond.

See: the running gag in Hong Kong about neither of you being willing to explain what happened to that one family you used to stay with in the Barrens because they were stupid enough to keep real meat in the freezer.

They got eaten alive by ghouls

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Stroth posted:

See: the running gag in Hong Kong about neither of you being willing to explain what happened to that one family you used to stay with in the Barrens because they were stupid enough to keep real meat in the freezer.

They got eaten alive by ghouls
Why? Ghouls don't eat non-metahuman meat, same thing as that vampires don't drink animal blood. And frozen meat inside a sealed box like a freezer doesn't smell anyway. :colbert:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Part 27 - Corporate Raiders Continued

After such a smooth start, it sure would be terrible for things to take a turn for the worse.

Aside from the blinking alarm panels on the walls, things seem perfectly quiet and normal up here. We're still in combat mode though, so that's unlikely to last.

A tad unexpectedly we don't find guns pointed at our face in the next room however, so far making the combat mode purely an annoyance since it forces every character to be moved manually and one at a time. :argh:

No terminals or anything we can interact with here either, so we pass through this boring room and open the next door.

Knock knock, anybody home? Is there gonna be a boss fight here, it feels like there's gonna be a boss fight here.

Seriously, nothing? No bosses, guards, turrets or anything, we really just waltzed into the CEO's office. Even the door wasn't locked.

This doesn't seem right. Maybe this shiny globe in the middle of the room is a magical bomb or something.

Doesn't seem like it. Like Tir Tairngire, Tír na nÓg is an elven nation, one roughly located in what used to be Ireland with Dublin as its capital city. Incidentally both derive their names from Irish mythology, meaning roughly "Land of Promise" and "Land of the Young" respectively.

The door on the eastern side of the office leads to another plain room, nothing here but a door we can't open. There's a vent on the wall, but sending a drone in reveals that it doesn't lead anywhere.

Well, standing around won't do us any good so might as well get to work. We'll let Dodger handle this one so the poor guy doesn't feel completely useless.

Physical security might be absent, but unfortunately IC never sleep.

Dodger himself isn't quite as effective as Amazon when it comes to dealing with cyberthreats, but he makes up for it with numbers.

These camera nodes are a little special, instead of giving us information/paydata or otherwise helping our progress...

...they instead provide us with visibility on the top right and bottom right portions of the floor. Hacking cameras in this manner actually became a semi-recurring thing after this game, with the camera locations marked and everything.

Anyone who has played a tower defense game probably knows that this implies incoming enemy waves, so we prepare accordingly with fire and drones on the southern doorway.

Sure enough, our first visitor enters soon after, and departs soon after that.

Hot on the last guy's heels another hopeful tries to make their way in, but seems to have some trouble dealing with the floor being on fire. Weird.

They manage to get through with only a couple of serious burns to their feet, only to fall for Coyote's ol' "pistol shot to the noggin" trick.

While all this is going on, Dodger discovers a dose of concern.

Guess that solves both the mysteries of Lynne's departure and the Aegis production facility blowing up. A real go-getter, that woman.

In a slightly more believable attempt at stopping us, a group of four guards enter the scene, this time from the door to the east. We shift our defenses accordingly and Falk conjures up another barrier to block the office's eastern entrance.

Dodger reaches another node, and faces a group of ICs annoyingly spread out from each other. His ESPs come in handy here since he doesn't have to run around personally taking down each one.

While the elf is busy with his cybercleaning, Telestrian's security begin their assault. Softened up by Jade Rabbit's mortar fire, the first guy doesn't even make it to the doorway.

life.gif

In cyberspace Dodger has finished eradicating the local ICs and digs into the logs.

Yet another Telestrian, this is a pretty big family. Not much new info here, but it does confirm that a sample of Aegis did indeed survive.

Another area, another node. A Black IC teams up with the usual ones this time, probably making this the most threatening room so far.

Dodger brings the whole squad into this one to make sure they go down without incident. Shield ESPs aren't great at dealing damage, but they're capable of basic attacks and you can never go wrong with more Shield.

After the area's been cleared, Dodger pokes at the node.

Bingo.

You know, it's almost like if things are going according to plan.

As you say. Now, to stop those elevators... I am sure there is an accessible node in this system we can access. Find it, before you are overrun with guards.

That's another +8 in the karmic bank.

Despite Baron's warnings, there's no time limit and we're not in any danger of being overrun by anything. The two remaining security guards from the eastern group fall to a mortar, and in the physical world all is quiet once more.

Dodger finally reaches the elevator controls, but there's one last trick up these guys' cybersleeve as no less than 4 IC pop up into the previously empty room the moment he gets close to the node.

Since this is the last room, Dodger's Exploder ESP gets to show off where it derives its name from, unleashing a devastating suicide explosion!

...which a little comically has no animation of any kind, it waves its arms around a bit and then just kinda vanishes into thin cyberair. The damage it deals is the real deal though, so maybe it's just one of those things humans can't perceive or something.

One hacked elevator, coming up! Also +6 karma. There are a lot of karma rewards in this part of the game. Delicious karma rewards.

No more enemy reinforcements arrive and there's nothing else for us to do here, so Dodger returns back to meatspace and we head to Silverstar's office door, located near the elevator we initially used to get here.

Except... it's locked with some kind of a panel.

You didn't know about this control panel. Great.

Let's face it, this is the least unexpected thing to happen during this entire run.

Apparently, Mr. Silverstar's reputation for paranoia is well-founded. This panel is a hard-coded door control that cannot be accessed from the Matrix. It was not here yesterday. How did he have it installed so fast?

So what now?

Samedi will think of something!

Very well - this will work but the plan requires you, and ONLY YOU to stay the night.

What? This already sounds like a terrible plan!

What about my crew?

And fade to black. I know, a bit of a sudden end, huh?

In what exciting new ways will things manage to go horribly wrong next time, as Amazon lodges alone in the same corporate building she just raided and murdered nineteen people in? Stay tuned to find out!

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 6, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I love how this guy gets hyped to all hell.

And then you go into a mission with him.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Poil posted:

Why? Ghouls don't eat non-metahuman meat, same thing as that vampires don't drink animal blood. And frozen meat inside a sealed box like a freezer doesn't smell anyway. :colbert:

One of the pc's dialogue choices is something to the effect of "Really, what did they expect, storing organs in their freezer like that?" The impliction (to me, at least) being that the family was running a back alley organ grinding operation and had recently reclaimed hearts, lungs eyes and livers next to their frozen peas and soycream. Because that's the kind of place the Redmond Barrens is.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

FoolyCharged posted:

Never meet your heroes. Or supposed novahot deckers with a gimmick.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

FoolyCharged posted:

yeah, he's pretty good. Not, perhaps, at his job, but at being a character? Yeah.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

The Lone Badger posted:

Producing any significant amount of food on your own is a great way to get a corp kicking in your door.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
See, that's why you don't ask what the burgers are made out of. Not because it's made from rats, because it isn't.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
While the writing is nothing impressive, i really like some mission ideas and setpieces in the secondd half of the game. The storystring has its checklists of stereotypes and clichés, but has some nice escalation.

Going through evil Dr. Elf McMurder's torture dungeon was kind of the low point of the game for me.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

paragon1 posted:

Producing any significant amount of food on your own is a great way to get a corp kicking in your door.

Unless you've got some sort of anarchist collective or commune backing you up enough to provide security for your facility that the corps would find too costly to shut down all at once, or is hidden enough. Not gangers though, they likely don't have the firepower though they may provide backup for a cut or something like that.

Most small operations don't, so they just try and stay off the grid enough before the corp forces come knocking to shut them down.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
But if everyone assumes they're just pretty good ratburgers, no Corp's gonna spend the money on knocking down every corner foodcart that's willing to feed ratmeat to the homeless.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The corps (usually by means of the governments they work through) don't care if you have a garden in your backyard or your commune out in the middle of nowhere gets most of their food by farming. They do care if you steal some of their proprietary gmo crops to do those things, because now you're violating their IP.

e: For example, the Salish-Sidhe Council grow most of their own food and have a minimal corp presence, but a even a AAA corp like Aztechnology would have to be out of their minds to pick a fight with them because they have a large and well-trained organization of heavy-duty magicians. You know the shamans we were just talking about who won a war with the UCAS? You know how I was saying that McKlusky is a loving moron for talking to Shannon Half-Sky like he did? Yeah, she's one of those shamans. There are thousands of people like her in the the SSC, and it's not even a remarkable thing.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 19, 2017

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Poil posted:

Look man, you don't ask what kind of meat it is in a place like the Barrens.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.

Poil posted:

Dystopia is hard, man. You have to accept that the answer to "Why don't they just do common sense solution to fix X" is "They just don't, okay?!"

Andyzero fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 20, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Andyzero posted:

Dystopia is hard, man. You gave to accept that the answer to "Why don't they just do common sense solution to fix X" is "They just don't, okay?!"

Yeah. The funny thing is, most of the large scale lovely, you can point to history (or the present) and go "People have done that." But when people try to fill in details of how much EVERYTHING SUCKS, you get a lot of "No, wait. We've seen what happens then. It isn't that. It's very far from that."

The corps busting down every door to kill people who make ratburgers, while not actually making ratburgers themselves, feels kinda like bad DMing, where the players get fixated on some arbitrary goal, and the DM keeps throwing dumber and dumber barriers at them to prevent them from interfering with his setting.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why would the cops care if you cook and eat rats at home? I... don't understand this conversation at all. :saddowns: :confused:

As long as you kept it to SINless and out in the Barrens I doubt they would even care if you cooked and ate humans.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

PMush Perfect posted:

But if everyone assumes they're just pretty good ratburgers, no Corp's gonna spend the money on knocking down every corner foodcart that's willing to feed ratmeat to the homeless.

They don't have to, you've got good old fashioned Lone Star enforcers already paid to take care of that sort of thing. The rat meat carts aren't up to code, you see!

Poil posted:

Why would the cops care if you cook and eat rats at home? I... don't understand this conversation at all. :saddowns: :confused:

They don't, at all. They care if you have a big enough hydroponics op to cut into the Stuffer Shack profits. That's what brings the heat.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
They also won't (legally) stop you from opening Fastjacks Fastrat Tacos (assuming your permits are in order) because they're big enough to crush or co-opt you.

It's anarchists trying to build something viable outside the capitalist system that they control that concerns them.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

FoolyCharged posted:

Oh man, you really do want the slap the guy, don't you? Funny how that also turns out for the (optional) Decker you get in the next game too.

The "defence" portion of this mission was always easy-peasy, though I'd never say no to curb-stomping a bunch of goons. I'd stick a barrier on the back door (like you did), and then put everyone on Overwatch.

Only a few guys tried the front door, I think. I seem to recall that the barrier expired before it had a chance to do anything when I placed it on the main entrance.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Points for offline security. So many people forget about that.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!

Glazius posted:

Good grief, you can say that again.

Meanwhile, in the real world, before long we'll see on the news someone getting killed by a hacker taking control of their wi-fi enabled can opener.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

FrankZP posted:

Good grief, you can say that again.

Meanwhile, in the real world, before long we'll see on the news someone getting killed by a hacker taking control of their wi-fi enabled can opener.

Not too far from that. Last massive wave of DDOS attacks were from IoT compromised devices. In other worse, hacked refrigerators and toasters. Turns out there's millions of em, with no security to speak of.

Sleep well!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Glazius posted:

Of course he also sent the details regarding the location of the sample via e-mail to his boss whose office is two rooms away, so not too many points.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Kanfy posted:

Of course he also sent the details regarding the location of the sample via e-mail to his boss whose office is two rooms away, so not too many points.

Eh, the boss may be out more than in. Email is a great way to tag a guy who could be at a club or at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

OAquinas posted:

Eh, the boss may be out more than in. Email is a great way to tag a guy who could be at a club or at home.

Well sure, but considering someone cared enough to blow up an entire production facility and it's the only remaining sample of the stuff they need to avoid potential bugocalypse, you'd think he'd at the very least talk in some kind of code instead of explicitly spelling out both the thing and where he keeps it.

• Locked thread