Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

bongwizzard posted:

"Servings per container x Calories per serving" is some pretty simple math, how is doing it per 100g any easier?

Because serving is abitrary and varies from company to company. See any individually wrapped snack marked as 2 servings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Enfys posted:

"Serving size" is bullshit. In the EU, caloric information must be given per 100g (or ml). Some will also include the calories based on how many grams are in the package alongside the 100g standard for people bad at math.

In the US, the serving sizes are based on "Reference Amounts Customarily Consumed." The FDA periodically updates these and in fact did so relatively recently.

Some notes on the updates and the general approach:

http://www.fooddruglaw.com/2014/03/04/fda-proposes-significant-changes-to-raccs-and-serving-size-requirements/
https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm386203.htm

And a big-rear end list of what the reference amounts are "per serving":

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/cfrsearch.cfm?fr=101.12

Chin Strap posted:

Because serving is abitrary and varies from company to company. See any individually wrapped snack marked as 2 servings.

No, they aren't and it doesn't. See the links above.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

With amounts per 100g/100ml, you can directly compare the "percentage" across products and even product categories. It doesn't really help if you want to know how much salt or whatever is in the package in absolute numbers, but usually there's a second column telling you either exactly that or a column that gives you the same portion size thing you're familiar with.

But without calculating anything, you can see cream of mushroom soup is twice as salty as tomato soup, but only half as salty as bacon quiche or whatever. This bologna has seven times the amount of saturated fat this turkey ham has. This diet version of the same brand just trades fat for sugar. Even with package and "portion" sizes differing wildly. That's useful information to have available at a glance.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh my god you guys are the worst. Can't you post food crimes along with your multiparagraph diatribes? :v:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

gotta have me a good lasagaaa

my veggies lasguna

Fastball LIVE in concert
Jul 10, 2010
All of you talking about eating KCl know that's just Potash right? I used to mine the stuff and every now and then if what I brought for lunch was bland I'd give my food a little dusting of it. I seriously can't believe it'd be sold for food purposes. It also really sucked having a shower after work and having the ultra salty water go in your eyes. Burnt a lot.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fastball LIVE in concert posted:

All of you talking about eating KCl know that's just Potash right? I used to mine the stuff and every now and then if what I brought for lunch was bland I'd give my food a little dusting of it. I seriously can't believe it'd be sold for food purposes. It also really sucked having a shower after work and having the ultra salty water go in your eyes. Burnt a lot.

I mean since potash is literally just "a salt that contains potassium" yes it is just that. It is sold as a seasoning for people who aren't supposed to have a lot of Sodium.

Most "potash" is K2CO3 or some other thing and probably isn't food grade purity dusted off your work gloves, though.

Fastball LIVE in concert
Jul 10, 2010
Oh it most certainly was not.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Fastball LIVE in concert
Jul 10, 2010

Raw cinnamon roll waffles with cum. Breakfast of champions.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I couldn't decide what to make for dinner

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

All y'all talking about KCl coming in big-rear end pills and I'm stuck here picturing someone trying to swallow a water softener pellet.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

those need some more time, but they're actually not bad. just take canned cinnamon rolls, like Pillsbury or whatever, and plop a disc into the waffle iron. it comes with an icing packet, so walla, bone app the teeth!!

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

where do you live that raw dough looks golden brown and toasted

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
https://twitter.com/coolstoryjanis/status/921040950389981185

https://twitter.com/coolstoryjanis/status/921041287213547521

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Well it is a technically accurate description

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

send that person home. eat your cheese noodles in the dark in shame.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Last year I finally discovered the wonders of sodium citrate and went on a huge mac & cheese making binge.

Blue cheese mac & cheese is good, but you gotta cut the hell out of the blue with a more mild cheese. Mac & cheese made with good Parmesan is incredible though, I would eat that almost every day.

Noodles with shredded cheese lady has to be loving with her coworkers, I refuse to believe that anyone could fail at mac & cheese that hard.

Fastball LIVE in concert
Jul 10, 2010

Elizabethan Error posted:

where do you live that raw dough looks golden brown and toasted

A place where white doughy clearly undercooked things are clearly raw. That waffle had a little browning, but it looked pretty loving far from golden brown and toasted.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

sneakyfrog posted:

send that person home. eat your cheese noodles in the dark in shame.
off the floor like a animal

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Yawgmoth posted:

off the floor like a animal

:yeah:

that too.

good mac and cheese is my jam

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I like undercooked cinnamon rolls.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

A place where white doughy clearly undercooked things are clearly raw. That waffle had a little browning, but it looked pretty loving far from golden brown and toasted.
it's on a shiny white plate under a flash bulb, it's going to look washed out, much like every other photo taken by someone with no idea what white balance is.

Fastball LIVE in concert
Jul 10, 2010

Elizabethan Error posted:

it's on a shiny white plate under a flash bulb, it's going to look washed out, much like every other photo taken by someone with no idea what white balance is.

Eh. Still looks doughy and unpleasant. All the cum on it doesn't help either.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

RareAcumen posted:

Oh my god you guys are the worst. Can't you post food crimes along with your multiparagraph diatribes? :v:

This is sending off danger signals in my brain, what the gently caress is going on

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The rarewell done endangered steakfish

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

The gibbis trump thread inspired me to GIS "melted orange sack of poo poo" and I guess that's a prime source of AFP? :shrug:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brawnfire posted:

This is sending off danger signals in my brain, what the gently caress is going on

Because it looks rotten.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

bongwizzard posted:

Last year I finally discovered the wonders of sodium citrate and went on a huge mac & cheese making binge.

Blue cheese mac & cheese is good, but you gotta cut the hell out of the blue with a more mild cheese. Mac & cheese made with good Parmesan is incredible though, I would eat that almost every day.

Noodles with shredded cheese lady has to be loving with her coworkers, I refuse to believe that anyone could fail at mac & cheese that hard.

I've come to love this 18th-century mac & cheese recipe. It looks super weird to someone who grew up making cheese sauce with roux and milk and suchlike but it's super, super tasty and lactose-intolerant friendly. It's also really simple to make.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

I've come to love this 18th-century mac & cheese recipe. It looks super weird to someone who grew up making cheese sauce with roux and milk and suchlike but it's super, super tasty and lactose-intolerant friendly. It's also really simple to make.

Wait, how is all that cheese lactose-intolerant friendly?

Also, I usually use white wine as my liquid base, I might try sherry next time. The eggs are very intriguing though, I gotta try that as well.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

bongwizzard posted:

Wait, how is all that cheese lactose-intolerant friendly?

Also, I usually use white wine as my liquid base, I might try sherry next time. The eggs are very intriguing though, I gotta try that as well.

Aged cheeses have very little lactose compared to fresh cheese. Removing the milk and/or cream from the recipe leaves a very low level of lactose in the dish.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

bloom posted:

The gibbis trump thread inspired me to GIS "melted orange sack of poo poo" and I guess that's a prime source of AFP? :shrug:

the only one i'm immediately dubious of is the first one and that's just because i don't recognize all the stuff in it

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lung with a side of not yet a pickle?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

I'm a bit perturbed that I didn't get the accompanying preparation and presentation text

I'm a bit perturbed that I got the accompanying preparation and presentation text.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I'm in awe of the sheer investment of time and resources it took to produce this document.

Someone--for some reason lost to history--genuinely believed that it was worth it to dedicate time to getting out an inkwell, quill, and parchment paper to pen this recipe.

Someone in the distant past methodically wrote every letter of every word, taking time and effort to add perfect flourishes to letters when appropriate. By hand.

Someone loved this recipe. To not reproduce it as faithfully as possible and report back would--to be frank--be an offense to the man or woman who, with ink-stained fingers, smiled as he or she admired the handiwork when it was done.

That having been said, I'm happy to honor the memory of a cook by giving it a shot.

One question: It says "sack wine." I'm wondering if boxed wine would work? I mean it's in a sack, right?

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'm in awe of the sheer investment of time and resources it took to produce this document.

Someone--for some reason lost to history--genuinely believed that it was worth it to dedicate time to getting out an inkwell, quill, and parchment paper to pen this recipe.

Someone in the distant past methodically wrote every letter of every word, taking time and effort to add perfect flourishes to letters when appropriate. By hand.

Someone loved this recipe. To not reproduce it as faithfully as possible and report back would--to be frank--be an offense to the man or woman who, with ink-stained fingers, smiled as he or she admired the handiwork when it was done.

That having been said, I'm happy to honor the memory of a cook by giving it a shot.

One question: It says "sack wine." I'm wondering if boxed wine would work? I mean it's in a sack, right?

Reading the recipe farther down says that they used sherry...that was a close approximation to the "sack wine" used

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

maccarony :kimchi:

I love early modern orthography.

I want to have my maccarony with collyflowers, and then mermulates on my toasts.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

CommonShore posted:

maccarony with collyflowers, and then mermulates on my toasts.

Wouldeth.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

Aged cheeses have very little lactose compared to fresh cheese. Removing the milk and/or cream from the recipe leaves a very low level of lactose in the dish.

Weird, but that is another point in favor of the sodium citrate, you can use dry as gently caress cheese and make it a perfect creamy sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Happy 10th birthday, none pizza with left beef.