Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What caused the Late Bronze Age Collapse?
goku
gently caress you
The Sea Peoples
semen
The Dorians
The Doors
:iiam:
:chaostrump:
:burgerpug:
:secsmug:
:420:
:wink:
Natural disasters
Climate change
:krust:
View Results

• Locked thread
Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rutibex posted:

no, the Mayans were around about the same time as the Roman Empire. well into the iron age in europe.

the maya had some primative metal working, gold/silver/copper. stuff that is easily worked, but mostly for jewelry not weapons/tools

Didin't the Mayan use obsidian, which was better than low quality iron? (at least for weaponry and stuff)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Obsidian's main use by Mesoamerican civilisations was for blades, since it gets insanely sharp, and even then for weapons they slotted obsidian blades into wooden frames. (which would also serve as clubs for when you didn't want to kill people and instead take them captive for ritual sacrifice)

It's different circumstances and opportunities; not enough good iron and not enough pressure to develop it, and isolation from civilisations that did. Similar reason native Australians never developed much technology; hard to when you don't have any of the reliable crops or livestock the rest of the world took for granted.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

hwan empire (history of korean)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Inescapable Duck posted:

Obsidian's main use by Mesoamerican civilisations was for blades, since it gets insanely sharp, and even then for weapons they slotted obsidian blades into wooden frames. (which would also serve as clubs for when you didn't want to kill people and instead take them captive for ritual sacrifice)

It's different circumstances and opportunities; not enough good iron and not enough pressure to develop it, and isolation from civilisations that did. Similar reason native Australians never developed much technology; hard to when you don't have any of the reliable crops or livestock the rest of the world took for granted.

Didn/t they develop sophisticated maps like the polineasians did

tech isn't always lazers and mettalurgy

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Meskhenet posted:

Didin't the Mayan use obsidian, which was better than low quality iron? (at least for weaponry and stuff)

yeah, and a weird counterintuitive face about mesoamerican warfare is that, unlike the rest of the world, its purpose wasn’t to kill but to maim. that way, the victor got to drag back some captives for human sacrifice.

they were big on blunt instruments as well

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
This is genuinely interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

How did temple prostitution work?

Durrant says that in Babylon all women had to go to the temple and whore themselves out before before being married. Was that a real phenomenon?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Frosted Flake posted:

How did temple prostitution work?

Durrant says that in Babylon all women had to go to the temple and whore themselves out before before being married. Was that a real phenomenon?

Yeah it was like volunteering.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
This is fun

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

hakimashou posted:

Yeah it was like volunteering.

Was it sincere religious devotion or a way to get a dowry? Maybe both?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Frosted Flake posted:

Was it sincere religious devotion or a way to get a dowry? Maybe both?

Ask your mom

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Inescapable Duck posted:

I love threads like this. I feel one of the best ways to understand history is to try and get a feel for what it was like to live in that day and age, how things were different (or similar) to modern life and what views on the world might have been like.

I’m glad you like it.

I wish there was more study of ancient Roman mystery religions and the Hellenistic age generally.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

verbal enema posted:

Ask your mom

boom

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It was the Lord of Atlantis who proved too strong, giving all Sea People +1/+1 and islandwalk, OP

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

It was the Lord of Atlantis who proved too strong, giving all Sea People +1/+1 and islandwalk, OP

I still have to wonder how Plato conceived of the idea of Atlantis — if it was a distant memory of the palatial polities in the Mycenaean period, Minoan Crete, a hitherto undocumented civilization or if he was doing it for the lols.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

he was just describing his perfect world and society and circle islands are apparently perfection

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

That Robot posted:

I still have to wonder how Plato conceived of the idea of Atlantis — if it was a distant memory of the palatial polities in the Mycenaean period, Minoan Crete, a hitherto undocumented civilization or if he was doing it for the lols.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

What's this?

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
The Azores, isn’t it?

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

The Azores, isn’t it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santorini

Home to a very big boom

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoan_eruption

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

That is also a viable theory.

I would be interested to learn about the concentric circles surrounding Atlantis that Plato described — it seemed awfully specific.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That Robot posted:

I would be interested to learn about the concentric circles surrounding Atlantis that Plato described — it seemed awfully specific.

Plato made a lot of poo poo up.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
From what I know, Atlantis isnt something that anyone really believed in. Even at the time, it was just an allegory that Plato came up with and everyone knew it. I think he was using it as a device to contrast with his idea of a perfect Athens. Like, Atlantis was super advanced and powerful but they werent virtuous like the Athenians were, and the Athenians end up defeating them because the gods are on their side, so Atlantis sinks beneath the waves. All of the thinkers and philosophers knew that Atlantis was just something Plato came up with, all through the Roman Empire and the Middle Ages. Im not sure when that changed but I think in the 19th century, when archeology was starting to become a thing, less knowledgeable folks started to make poo poo up about how Atlantis was totally real and Atlanteans founded the Mayans, the Egyptians, Mesopotamians, etc. and they had psychic spiritual powers. But that all came from "modern" people, not ancient times.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Blue Star posted:

From what I know, Atlantis isnt something that anyone really believed in. Even at the time, it was just an allegory that Plato came up with and everyone knew it. I think he was using it as a device to contrast with his idea of a perfect Athens. Like, Atlantis was super advanced and powerful but they werent virtuous like the Athenians were, and the Athenians end up defeating them because the gods are on their side, so Atlantis sinks beneath the waves. All of the thinkers and philosophers knew that Atlantis was just something Plato came up with, all through the Roman Empire and the Middle Ages. Im not sure when that changed but I think in the 19th century, when archeology was starting to become a thing, less knowledgeable folks started to make poo poo up about how Atlantis was totally real and Atlanteans founded the Mayans, the Egyptians, Mesopotamians, etc. and they had psychic spiritual powers. But that all came from "modern" people, not ancient times.

Conclusive proof that people are becoming dumber, not smarter.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Blue Star posted:

uhh, over those centuries, the context for that story got lost, and people start asking "was there really a city state on an island that sank into the ocean?" which is a cool question to ask in an emerging field like Archaeology.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

That Robot posted:

he didn't make it up, Solon told him about it man :tinfoil:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Atlantis was in what is now called Bolivia.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Atlantis was Plato's background setting for his planned cinematic (theatric?) universe to tie all his works together into the most profitable franchise of the classical era.

He was working on writing himself into the overarching plot as a handsome, Goku-like protagonist when he had to suddenly deal with all that "being sold into slavery" bullshit.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

RagnarokAngel posted:

Rome liked to integrate other culture's pantheons into their own. Oh you have a storm god too? Thats cool, hes just an aspect of Zeus, so worship him whatever just pay your taxes.

Judaism (and subsequently Christianity) is big on the whole "thou shalt not have other gods before me" thing and it caused a lot of friction.

That and a refusal to sacrifice for Rome itself.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

:qq: christians and jews wouldn't co-exist with a pagan state of lead drinking retards :qq:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Randaconda posted:

Plato made a lot of poo poo up.

platonic ideal of world-building tho

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

it's insane how much lead people consumed back in the day.

plus it probably wasn't widely known that shaking your baby to quiet them made them retarded.

really when you think about it it's no wonder people in olden times acted like maniacs a lot of the time.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ChickenHeart posted:

Atlantis was Plato's background setting for his planned cinematic (theatric?) universe to tie all his works together into the most profitable franchise of the classical era.

He was working on writing himself into the overarching plot as a handsome, Goku-like protagonist when he had to suddenly deal with all that "being sold into slavery" bullshit.

diogenes: ENDLESS TRASH
heraclitus: gently caress you, it's gamelion

feller
Jul 5, 2006

basic hitler posted:

:qq: christians and jews wouldn't co-exist with a pagan state of lead drinking retards :qq:

Drinking lead is cool. You should try it

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Blue Star posted:

You're disregarding the illiterate 99.9% of the ancient for whom all the old myths were just the oral history of humanity and who would have found a lost civilization of Supermen sunk into the ocean for defying the gods to be more or less par for the course

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

it's insane how much lead people consumed back in the day.

plus it probably wasn't widely known that shaking your baby to quiet them made them retarded.

really when you think about it it's no wonder people in olden times acted like maniacs a lot of the time.

People still consume lead and I wouldn't be surprised if it was even more per capita given their only exposure to lead was non-chlorine treated water flowing through a relatively small network of pipes and the 0.1% consuming extravagant liquers made in lead-lined pots. Compare that to our insane number of lead exposure vectors, along with all the other biochemical disrupters, and the part where people act like maniacs all the time.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe thats why we still act like manics even in modern times

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Lead was used as sweetener in place of sugar.

Edit: also this is all iron age, not bronze age

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I just read the entire 1177BC book by Cline. someone recommended a while back and lol he took 300 pages to say "we have no idea, probably a bunch of poo poo together causes the collapse." He does a good job going through the theories arguing that nobody knows poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

That Robot posted:

wikipedia posted:

Immediately prior to the Minoan eruption, the walls of the caldera formed a nearly continuous ring of islands with the only entrance lying between Thera and the tiny island of Aspronisi.[10]

• Locked thread