Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Mr. Flunchy posted:

They're pretty much wearing Nazi helmets dude

Eh, the helmet in question is the German-manufactured Stahlhelm, which literally just means "steel helmet" and was used from 1916 all the way to 1992 when it was replaced (in Germany) with more modern kevlar-based helmets. It was also used by China, Austria, Hungary, Finland, and various South American and Balkan nations. And still is today! It's just a fairly generic steel helmet.

If you want similarities to totalitarian behavior I'd look at that creepy salute (with accompanying victory-themed catchphrase) they're doing first. The helmets wouldn't be my first go-to.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Oct 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
There’s definitely shallow symbolism to support that since the setting is so heavily WWII themed. It’s entirely superficial though

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Eh, the helmet in question is the German-manufactured Stahlhelm, which literally just means "steel helmet" and was used from 1916 all the way to 1992 when it was replaced (in Germany) with more modern kevlar-based helmets. It was also used by China, Austria, Hungary, Finland, and various South American and Balkan nations. And still is today! It's just a fairly generic steel helmet.

Yeah I'm sure this militant, racist, authoritarian organisation composed of perfect Aryans that has a special salute and covers everything with their weird symbol is just wearing Nazi helmets coincidentally.

Let's hope operation 'Berlin 46' goes well for them.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Oct 19, 2017

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

If you want to point to the weird saluting and genocidal attitude towards the machine lifeforms, go right ahead, but it's really fuckin' weird to point to the generic steel helmet the assault troops wear alongside their miniskirts and high-heel combat armor as the one thing that seals the deal and tips the scale on the current android fashion trend towards "full fascist" - especially when that steel helmet was in use for some 30 years before nazis were even a thing and in nations like China that don't give a poo poo about it in the first place.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
I don't know, that sounds suspiciously like exactly what a fascist gothic lolita combat robot intent on purifying the earth would say. Is there something you'd like to share with us, HCT?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

So I've been watching a few streams/videos of people playing through Routes A and B and it's really fascinating how differently they approach things like story and gameplay.

Kyle McCarley, 9S' VA:
- He and Kira Buckland are so happy and honored to have played a role in this game. It's cute! :3:
- It was interesting to hear his experience on what it's like voicing 9S. Apparently the line that made him go :wtc: was, "This thing's weird, 2B. Let's kill it!"
- He voiced over all the textless dialog, which gave us New Mom Anemone and a really stellar reading of 9S' text adventure when Adam captured him.
- He engaged with Twitch chat on how to improve his gameplay, or which quests to do next or if he missed some stuff, which kind of kills some of the excitement of stumbling over something great. Amusingly, he even asked the chat if they wanted to spare the amusement park robots and the party tank.
- He often experiments with chip loadouts, to great results. He even made a custom loadout to beat that rear end in a top hat Speedstar.

Liam, from RisingSuperStream:
- He's a huge fan of Yoko Taro's games, so hearing him geek out over the game and the callbacks is fun. :3:
- Having played Yoko Taro games before, there's this sense where he's on guard over twists.
- Has an irritating habit of addressing his Twitch viewers during dialog so he missed the impact on some of the story bits.
- Has packrat tendencies that made things harder for him. He went through Route A upgrading a weapon once, and finished Route A and B without selling any of the "Can be sold for money" items.
- Didn't focus on finishing one sidequest at a time. This bit him in the rear end hard when he advanced the story and missed out on finishing a lot of almost-done sidequests in Route A.

Slowbeef(sadly, only a few videos are available):
- His experience with Drakengard and Nier seems to have come from Id's LPs, so he came in this game with a fresh perspective.
- He engages with the story and speculates what's going on in it quite a lot. His theory about machines cargo culting humans was interesting to hear, and it's actually pretty accurate.
- Noticed the importance of increasing chip storage pretty quickly and maxed it out. Got a good chip loadout and stuck with it.
- Called 9S an idiot for wanting to attack the party tank. Attacked it anyway and got wrecked in return. :v:
- Seems to have a low opinion of 9S at the start. It'd be interesting if his opinion changed when he played through Route B.

Speaking of, does anyone know if the rest of Slowbeef's Nier:Automata streams was saved anywhere? There's only a few of them in his Youtube channel, and it doesn't seem to be in his Twitch videos either.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

If you want to point to the weird saluting and genocidal attitude towards the machine lifeforms, go right ahead, but it's really fuckin' weird to point to the generic steel helmet the assault troops wear alongside their miniskirts and high-heel combat armor as the one thing that seals the deal and tips the scale on the current android fashion trend towards "full fascist" - especially when that steel helmet was in use for some 30 years before nazis were even a thing and in nations like China that don't give a poo poo about it in the first place.

Sir this is the YoRHa mess hall, HR is down the corridor to the left

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Chokes McGee posted:

Sir this is the YoRHa mess hall, HR is down the corridor to the left

Don’t you mean AR, HR sounds like something only a machine sympathiser would use.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Yeah I'm sure this militant, racist, authoritarian organisation composed of perfect Aryans

look up "mukokuseki", it applies to both halves of what you're saying here

I could link yorha to either side in the post 9/11 conflicts and have just as much if not more shaky circumstantial evidence as "they be nazi"

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
There's this little movie called Jin-Roh, in which Japan lost the second World War... to the Nazis:

See also: the Killzone series.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
If you wanna find allegory in there YoRHa is more like a religious paramilitary but you really can’t assign anything directly.

Allegories are overrated

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nina posted:

If you wanna find allegory in there YoRHa is more like a religious paramilitary but you really can’t assign anything directly.

Allegories are overrated

I don't know mine are pretty bad and I can't breathe in the spring :(

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Somebody told me to wait until Route B to ask for this to be translated, so now that it's done:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Kavak posted:

Somebody told me to wait until Route B to ask for this to be translated, so now that it's done:

Not 100% sure here but...

Top panel
Eve: I'm happy, Brother. I did it, Brother. I wanna celebrate, so open your eyes Brother.
Adam: ........
Eve: BROOOOOOOOOTHERRRRRRRRRR

Bottom panel
9S: The hell is this supposed to mean, 2B?
2B: iunno

Eve: BROOOOTHERRRRRRRR

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Kavak posted:

Top says "Everyone, thank you for your love." The back says "Gratitude". Dialogue:

"This is great, isn't it? We did it, big bro! This is a cause for celebration, so wake up, big bro! Big bro?" - "..." - "Big broooo!"
"What the heck is this supposed to mean? ... 2B?" - "Who knows."

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

9S, wipe your face. That's disgusting.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Here's hoping Taro has more stage plays in mind: I'd love a Nier project from machines' perspective.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

jyrque posted:

Here's hoping Taro has more stage plays in mind: I'd love a Nier project from machines' perspective.

There was a new stage play announced the other day, which may be a new version of the original but japanese 2B is playing A2 in it.

I think there's a play called YoRHa Boys being made too.
Either way, there's more stage play things happening.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

jyrque posted:

The art of the machine lifeform stage play has already been perfected with Romeos and Juliets.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Mazerunner posted:

I was also thinking that machine-9S went... somewhere, I dunno, and this 9S we're playing is a fresh unit, which is why 21O is treating him with kid gloves. No comment on whether I was right or not, that's just what I was thinking while playing through.

I had exactly the same thought. Or just as possibly, 21O knows that 9S got corrupted/fragmented to hell and back. She's not treating him like a child, she's treating him like you would your slow cousin who's got brain problems.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There was a new stage play announced the other day, which may be a new version of the original but japanese 2B is playing A2 in it.

I think there's a play called YoRHa Boys being made too.
Either way, there's more stage play things happening.

That's great news. I hadn't thought to check previously but apparently there's a new show premiering on 2018.

https://i.imgur.com/2BMvnsa.jpg (linking poster of the show in case it's spoilers)

Doesn't look like it's about machines. Maybe a reimagining of routes A and B?

ZiegeDame posted:

The art of the machine lifeform stage play has already been perfected with Romeos and Juliets.

Like a million monkeys with typewriters I bet machines could come up with new stuff beside the entire theatrical history of mankind.

I'd pay to watch a stubby musical.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Stephen9001 posted:

You know, this raises the question, why did she stop being a cold professional and transition into mom/mumness? Did she feel so proud of 9S after he helped take out the last major networker operator (Eve) that she decided to be friendlier or what?

If anything, my bet would be the Commander saying "hey 9S is probably going to be having a bit of an existential crisis at some point after finding out our gods are dead, not to mention having to pull his brain out of the machine network, so maybe try not being a cold bitch to him for awhile, thanks" and 21O only has "professional" and "mom" settings.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

21O is out for repairs and 1000O1000 was the only available replacement

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Oh poo poo, I'm late to ending B. Minor effortpost coming up.

So I mentioned earlier that the Japanese version of the ending song is also an existentialist reference. It's a reference to Gabriel Marcel, mid-20th century French existentialist who coined the term "le monde cassé" - the broken world. Basically, the idea is that the world is "broken", in the sense that it is missing something important and as a result full of crisis and suffering. Marcel is a staunch Christian and so his answer is that what's missing is the transcendental experience of God and therefore reflection and contemplation is the answer to mankind finding itself in this broken world.

It sounds stretching to think of this as a deliberate reference, but this game is laden head to toe with references to existentialism and existentialist philosophers, so I think it is deliberate. Heck, it's arguably the central theme of the entire game up to this point. Nietzsche famously wrote "God is dead". In particular, what he wrote was:

What it's widely understood that meant is that humanity's understanding of the nature has progressed to such a point that the concept of God no longer satisfyingly explains the place of humanity in the world. Furthermore, the rejection of God also results in the inevitable rejection of the morality dictated by religion and even the concept of absolute morality. Nietzsche was worried that humanity thus unmoored from conceptions of absolute morality might succumb to nihilism, believing that without absolute morality there cannot be morality at all and that we are all unconquerably doomed to flounder meaninglessly until our equally meaningless deaths. To be clear, Nietzsche didn't view atheism as incorrect, but he felt strongly that something needed to replace the idea of religious morality, not simply tear it down.

The game so far has shown us two reflections of this struggle. To the androids, humanity was God; to the machine lifeforms, the aliens were God. Their entire existence, their very purpose, circled around their missions to protect or destroy humanity. Well, both their Gods are dead. The machine lifeforms killed theirs; the androids simply failed to keep theirs from dying. Thus unmoored from absolute morality, the two groups basically spend the entire game (and much of the history immediately preceding it) grappling with what it means to live in a world without Gods.

The androids chose to erect an edifice - the YoRHA Project - around their dead Gods and pretend like they were not dead. They're clinging to the absolute morality that no longer exists; Jean-Paul Sartre would have called this "bad faith". The machine lifeforms react in varied ways. Some indeed succumb to nihilism, like the "wise machines" we saw earlier. Others seem happy to be liberated from their purpose and spend endless days in the theme park having fun. At least they found a purpose of their own, which is great; but then there's the opera robot who is practically taken straight the writings of Sartre and Beauvoir as a woman defining herself only through her interaction with males (in this case, suitably, the robot Jean-Paul) and thus living in bad faith. And then there's the cult robots who seem to have taken that Nietzsche quote up there literally and seek to become as gods...

Theres more to come in the next two endings, though...

Um, so quickly back to the song. I greatly prefer the Japanese version to the English one, because the lyrics are so dang much more emotional and really get more into the existentialist core of this game. The singer grapples with the broken world, devoid of purpose, but ends up declaring that even though it's all meaningless, all they wish for is more time to make what they can of it together with the ones they love. I really like it.
Thank you for this good stuff. I just wanted to point out that Weight of the World is also an existentialist reference:

“I must be without remorse or regrets as I am without excuse; for from the instant of my upsurge into being, I carry the weight of the world by myself alone without help, engaged in a world for which I bear the whole responsibility without being able, whatever I do, to tear myself away from this responsibility for an instant.”
― Jean-Paul Sartre, Being and Nothingness

I think the English version does an equally good job grappling with the game's themes.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Seeing as there was philosopher chat earlier, I feel like the whole Robot Death Cult was an interesting take on Kierkegaardian philosophy. To briefly paraphrase, you can tie his philosophy into the broad field of Christian Existentialism, which unites with Hyper Crab Tank's point about existential philosophy playing a part in the themes of this game.

However, there's some neat stuff to unpack that really makes the entire Factory Cult trip even more entertaining in a few ways. First off, a major theme in his early writing is the hierarchical approaches to life and morality: the three levels of fulfillment are aesthetic, ethical, and faith. He (obviously) places faith as the highest form, but the specific argument is that faith is an irrational, absurd (in the sense of "outside of understanding" rather than "funny") relationship to a power greater than the self that defines the relational object without the object (in this case machines) defining the greater power.

In this case, we get a pretty neat exploration of that in the sense that the original "greater power" could be the network itself - the connected Machines are defined by their relationship and act outside of aesthetic or ethical boundaries from our viewpoint AND from the viewpoint of non-network machines, as they are fulfilled in a Kierkegaardian sense by sublimating themselves to the will of a higher power. I can't recall if the Factory Machines are off-network (as I'm just following Id's lp), but if they are, then the whole "Kierkegaard cult" is a pretty neat thing - cut off from the affirming faith, they are taking a route where they are beyond aesthetics (machines not interested in the physical world) and entered the ethics phase while striving for the next phase, faith. As they are cut off from the higher power of the network, their exploration of faith beyond ethics naturally enters the absurd, in that they reject ethics in favor of a counter-behavior via robot murder to become as gods - in this case, because the primary directive of the network's faith can be read as "wage war", they fulfill the last bit by doing what they believe to be the ultimate command of the network - dying for it. By changing the relationship into one where they "become as gods" (i.e. cause Stubbie death for a higher, inscrutable purpose), they are filling in the absurdity of Kierkegaardian faith and choosing to act entirely counter to self-interest by dying.

It's also a fun thing that works on the nature of faith as absurd in the conventional definition - the cult buildup to Kierkegaard's head unceremoniously falling off is absurd in the sense that it's unexpected and is counter to the expectation that you will fight the big philosopher-named guy with the creepy cult.

However! If we want to read more into Yoko Taro stuff than anyone wants to, it reinforces Kierkegaardian themes even more - in his writings, he was a skilled user of all forms of irony: useful here is dramatic irony, wherein the reader/observer knows more than the characters. In this case, we're savvy: we know that religions tend to go horribly bad in everything he writes, so it's a foregone conclusion that this will go bad to the viewer, but the characters lack this knowledge and go in with the sense that things might be good.

In short: the setup is funny and surprisingly apropos if you give a poo poo about Danish philosophers, I have clearly wasted my life by writing about the intersection of video games and philosophy, and I will be genuinely surprised if anyone bothers to read this incredibly stupid, rough examination of things.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You guys are missing the biggest philosophical point: Is 2B still 2B if we can't see her butt?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hedningen posted:

Seeing as there was philosopher chat earlier, I feel like the whole Robot Death Cult was an interesting take on Kierkegaardian philosophy. To briefly paraphrase, you can tie his philosophy into the broad field of Christian Existentialism, which unites with Hyper Crab Tank's point about existential philosophy playing a part in the themes of this game.

However, there's some neat stuff to unpack that really makes the entire Factory Cult trip even more entertaining in a few ways. First off, a major theme in his early writing is the hierarchical approaches to life and morality: the three levels of fulfillment are aesthetic, ethical, and faith. He (obviously) places faith as the highest form, but the specific argument is that faith is an irrational, absurd (in the sense of "outside of understanding" rather than "funny") relationship to a power greater than the self that defines the relational object without the object (in this case machines) defining the greater power.

In this case, we get a pretty neat exploration of that in the sense that the original "greater power" could be the network itself - the connected Machines are defined by their relationship and act outside of aesthetic or ethical boundaries from our viewpoint AND from the viewpoint of non-network machines, as they are fulfilled in a Kierkegaardian sense by sublimating themselves to the will of a higher power. I can't recall if the Factory Machines are off-network (as I'm just following Id's lp), but if they are, then the whole "Kierkegaard cult" is a pretty neat thing - cut off from the affirming faith, they are taking a route where they are beyond aesthetics (machines not interested in the physical world) and entered the ethics phase while striving for the next phase, faith. As they are cut off from the higher power of the network, their exploration of faith beyond ethics naturally enters the absurd, in that they reject ethics in favor of a counter-behavior via robot murder to become as gods - in this case, because the primary directive of the network's faith can be read as "wage war", they fulfill the last bit by doing what they believe to be the ultimate command of the network - dying for it. By changing the relationship into one where they "become as gods" (i.e. cause Stubbie death for a higher, inscrutable purpose), they are filling in the absurdity of Kierkegaardian faith and choosing to act entirely counter to self-interest by dying.

It's also a fun thing that works on the nature of faith as absurd in the conventional definition - the cult buildup to Kierkegaard's head unceremoniously falling off is absurd in the sense that it's unexpected and is counter to the expectation that you will fight the big philosopher-named guy with the creepy cult.

However! If we want to read more into Yoko Taro stuff than anyone wants to, it reinforces Kierkegaardian themes even more - in his writings, he was a skilled user of all forms of irony: useful here is dramatic irony, wherein the reader/observer knows more than the characters. In this case, we're savvy: we know that religions tend to go horribly bad in everything he writes, so it's a foregone conclusion that this will go bad to the viewer, but the characters lack this knowledge and go in with the sense that things might be good.

In short: the setup is funny and surprisingly apropos if you give a poo poo about Danish philosophers, I have clearly wasted my life by writing about the intersection of video games and philosophy, and I will be genuinely surprised if anyone bothers to read this incredibly stupid, rough examination of things.

They are off the network. It's the reason 2B goes to meet with them in the first place. So, yeah. It's a surprisingly clever bit, considering how JRPGs usually just name drop philosophers and run.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

LordAba posted:

You guys are missing the biggest philosophical point: Is 2B still 2B if we can't see her butt?

Signs point to... "yes"

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Also before we fall off and miss this chance, may 21O bless this page! :yotj:

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Really Pants posted:

21O is out for repairs and 1000O1000 was the only available replacement

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I don't get it. :(

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Kavak posted:

I don't get it. :(
I didn't get it at first either. I was thinking binary code, but the joke is roman numerals.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Sage Grimm posted:

Also before we fall off and miss this chance, may 21O bless this page! :yotj:
Now I wonder what 42O is like.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Sindai posted:

"I keep telling you that those things only look like vending machines and even if they weren't those Doritos would be like 10,000 years old by now!"

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

You could still eat the twinkies.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

there used to be a 404B but nobody could find her

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sindai posted:

Considering that nature of androids and machines, it'd probably repeat the same couple of jokes about smoking weed over and over thinking it was super original every time, this time accurately emulating their basis.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

McDragon posted:

there used to be a 404B but nobody could find her

Van Kraken posted:

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
9S was assigned a new, no-bullshit operator shortly after he suggested 6O should be the six to his nines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Mr. Flunchy posted:

They're pretty much wearing Nazi helmets dude

• Locked thread