Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The Eagles are a good team and while I still want to be cautious about expectations for this season, they are getting Johnson and Smallwood back, they will be coming off a mini-bye, they already beat the Redskins in Washington and the Redskins are infamously horrible on Monday Nights. There's absolutely no reason the Eagles shouldn't win this game. So I guess that means it's a trap game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

NotWearingPants posted:

Johnson and Smallwood

hheh

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

TheChirurgeon posted:

It really looks like the Eagles have the right combination of good team and luck on their side right now. I'll be shocked if they don't win the division.

Shut up shut up shut up. Lalallala not listening Eagles are still bad. We were 5-1 last year too then Roidy McGoo Johnson went out and it all fell to poo poo.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

It ends with an end of season collapse to end up 7-9

Every true Eagles fan is expecting this.

Yup. Things are looking up in Philly sports, so we're expecting a collective shove back into the ground. Maybe at the bye Doug pulls his mask off and we find it's actually Jeff Fisher and we lose the rest of our games to finish out at 7-9.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Yup. Things are looking up in Philly sports, so we're expecting a collective shove back into the ground. Maybe at the bye Doug pulls his mask off and we find it's actually Jeff Fisher and we lose the rest of our games to finish out at 7-9.

All 4 championships in 2020.

(I don't give a gently caress about the Flyers or Phillies though)

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/921021984925978624
Get in

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Haha gently caress yes

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I'm betting beer on the MNF game with my buddy who lives in DC. If they win I'm giving him some Tired Hands bottles. If we win I guess I'm getting something from... DC Brau? I dunno what's comparable. Maybe Right Proper but they don't bottle. In any case a loss would hurt extra bad.

NotWearingPants posted:

All 4 championships in 2020.

(I don't give a gently caress about the Flyers or Phillies though)

I actually think this is a possibility for the Eagles. They definitely seem to be on an uptrend.
Sixers are probably next closest if Embiid, Simmons, Covington, and Redick continue to improve but the biggest threats are stacked teams like GSW which I have no idea how you compete with that outside of hoping one of those guys is the next LeBron.
Flyers are young and playing well right now. But Amac is wearing an A while Sanheim is watching games from the press box. Fire Hakstol.
Phillies lol. I don't see this happening any time soon. Team is rebuilding and the outlook is not as good as the young team that won in 2008.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I'm betting beer on the MNF game with my buddy who lives in DC. If they win I'm giving him some Tired Hands bottles. If we win I guess I'm getting something from... DC Brau? I dunno what's comparable. Maybe Right Proper but they don't bottle. In any case a loss would hurt extra bad.

I actually think this is a possibility for the Eagles. They definitely seem to be on an uptrend.
Sixers are probably next closest if Embiid, Simmons, Covington, and Redick continue to improve but the biggest threats are stacked teams like GSW which I have no idea how you compete with that outside of hoping one of those guys is the next LeBron.
Flyers are young and playing well right now. But Amac is wearing an A while Sanheim is watching games from the press box. Fire Hakstol.
Phillies lol. I don't see this happening any time soon. Team is rebuilding and the outlook is not as good as the young team that won in 2008.

As a DC person Right Proper is amazing, I go there all the time.

There also some good breweries down in Richmond if you're willing to expand the map a bit.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Ben Simmons has been compared to Lebron, but he's really more of the next Magic Johnson. If he stays healthy, Embiid is the next Hakeem Olajuwon, but better.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

HatfulOfHollow posted:

It ends with an end of season collapse to end up 7-9

Every true Eagles fan is expecting this.

shyduck posted:

They'll blow it in the NFCCG, to the Bears or some bullshit

Super Bowl appearance and then get the worst beatdown seen in a 2010s SB. 0 points scored bad

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

quote:

Redskins running back Chris Thompson said family members asked him this week if they could go to Monday night's NFC East clash in Philadelphia.

His response? No.

Speaking Wednesday during a radio interview on the Washington area's ESPN980, Thompson said he wanted his family to avoid attending the game against the Eagles (5-1) and talking with some of the NFL's fiercest fans.

"That's the one stadium you keep your family from going to," Thompson told ESPN980's Bram Weinstein. "My family will be here this week, and they were like, 'I want to come to the Philly game.' I said, 'Absolutely not, you're going to have to wait until Dallas comes around.' Because my stepdad, he's a big guy, and if he starts fighting, it'll be real bad out there. I was told that right away my rookie year: Keep your family away."

http://www.pennlive.com/philadelphiaeagles/index.ssf/2017/10/redskins_chris_thompson_tells.html

(I personally think that's mostly bullshit. I saw opposing fans in jerseys plenty of times last season and they might get some "rear end in a top hat" chants but it's all in good fun. The Linc isn't The Vet)

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

NotWearingPants posted:

http://www.pennlive.com/philadelphiaeagles/index.ssf/2017/10/redskins_chris_thompson_tells.html

(I personally think that's mostly bullshit. I saw opposing fans in jerseys plenty of times last season and they might get some "rear end in a top hat" chants but it's all in good fun. The Linc isn't The Vet)

Sounds more like he doesnt want his family to see his bitch rear end get handed to him :colbert:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

NotWearingPants posted:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/02/AR2006010201650.html comes to mind, but I don't recall anything more recent

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

You could write that story about every single team in the league: Drunk Idiot Tosses Beer on Opposing Team's Fan, Fight Ensues. But for some reason it just plays into this narrative that pervades the media where they just have to portray Philly as the absolute villains of all fan bases.

This subject always riles me up.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

HatfulOfHollow posted:

You could write that story about every single team in the league: Drunk Idiot Tosses Beer on Opposing Team's Fan, Fight Ensues. But for some reason it just plays into this narrative that pervades the media where they just have to portray Philly as the absolute villains of all fan bases.

This subject always riles me up.

Not always an older woman or a player's mom, though.

There's been some data to support the notion that Philly fans, along with Oakland, Pittsburgh, and San Francisco fans, consistently cause more problems:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...m=.65123603969f

Washington Post posted:

The Raiders tend to increase arrests at stadiums wherever they play; at the average away game for Oakland, arrests go up by 70 percent, according to The Post’s survey, among the highest in the league for road teams. Arrests also tend to go up when the Pittsburgh Steelers, Philadelphia Eagles and San Francisco 49ers play road games, according to the data.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

TheChirurgeon posted:

There's been some data to support the notion that Philly fans, along with Oakland, Pittsburgh, and San Francisco fans, consistently cause more problems:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...m=.65123603969f

Your quote and the data presented in that article don't line up. Philly is actually right around the middle of the league in arrests according to that data. The fact that the article specifically mentions Philadelphia as "being on the leagues radar" just further's my point. The stats don't add up to warrant that sort of thing.

And if you want to address the whole "Arrests also tend to go up when the Pittsburgh Steelers, Philadelphia Eagles and San Francisco 49ers play road games, according to the data." Maybe, just maybe, that's due to the fact that those fan bases are among the most well-traveled fan bases. Of course you're going to see conflicts when half the opposing team's stadium has been taken over by rival fans.

Basically the numbers don't tell the same story that the media has been pushing for decades.

edit - Here's the actual top 15 in arrests: http://www.thesportster.com/football/top-15-nfl-teams-with-the-most-fan-arrests/

1 - San Francisco
2 - Oakland
3 - Pittsburgh
10 - Philadelphia

Yeah, we definitely deserve to be ranked up there among the worst of all teams. Definitely not some sort of bias against us at all.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 19, 2017

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Nobody was arrested for throwing snowballs at Santa that time

Or for throwing batteries at Doug Pederson

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Yeah, we definitely deserve to be ranked up there among the worst of all teams. Definitely not some sort of bias against us at all.

While I agree with you that it's mostly bullshit that springs from the days of Veteran's Stadium, we can't really get too mad at the media about it because many fans are just as guilty of perpetuating the narrative because they like the mystique of being the tough fans with the scary stadium, even if it's not true.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Your quote and the data presented in that article don't line up. Philly is actually right around the middle of the league in arrests according to that data. The fact that the article specifically mentions Philadelphia as "being on the leagues radar" just further's my point. The stats don't add up to warrant that sort of thing.

And if you want to address the whole "Arrests also tend to go up when the Pittsburgh Steelers, Philadelphia Eagles and San Francisco 49ers play road games, according to the data." Maybe, just maybe, that's due to the fact that those fan bases are among the most well-traveled fan bases. Of course you're going to see conflicts when half the opposing team's stadium has been taken over by rival fans.

Basically the numbers don't tell the same story that the media has been pushing for decades.

edit - Here's the actual top 15 in arrests: http://www.thesportster.com/football/top-15-nfl-teams-with-the-most-fan-arrests/

1 - San Francisco
2 - Oakland
3 - Pittsburgh
10 - Philadelphia

I saw that article, but deliberately excluded it because it's from a dubious source, lacks numbers, and was published on April 1.

Your logic that "these teams just travel well" doesn't hold weight when the presented data also shows that Oakland, SF, and Pittsburgh are also among the tops in home stadium arrests as well. It's also worth noting that the data doesn't appear to be normalized for stadium size; with a listed capacity of 69,596, Lincoln Financial Field is 14th in capacity. If they're actually 10th in arrests, the back-of-the-napkin math suggests that they're arrested at a higher-than-expected rate.

The notion that Philly fans are the league's worst is clearly untrue, given that San Francisco and Oakland exist, but the bad reputation is definitely not lacking merit.

e: also this

NotWearingPants posted:

many fans are just as guilty of perpetuating the narrative because they like the mystique of being the tough fans with the scary stadium

has always seemed to be the case for me for most Philly fans, who revel in being seen as hooligans that make the stadium inhospitable for opposing fans

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

NotWearingPants posted:

While I agree with you that it's mostly bullshit that springs from the days of Veteran's Stadium, we can't really get too mad at the media about it because many fans are just as guilty of perpetuating the narrative because they like the mystique of being the tough fans with the scary stadium, even if it's not true.

That's my whole point though. There are dummies doing this in every fanbase. Yet we're still being portrayed as the villains even though the actual numbers don't support that narrative.

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's also worth noting that the data doesn't appear to be normalized for stadium size; with a listed capacity of 69,596, Lincoln Financial Field is 14th in capacity. If they're actually 10th in arrests, the back-of-the-napkin math suggests that they're arrested at a higher-than-expected rate.

The data includes arrests both inside and outside the stadium. It's as normalized as it's ever going to be because nobody reports attendance on tailgaters.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 19, 2017

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I had a friend who spent a few years in the San Francisco area, I think around the mid-90s, and he used to talk about how they were the most sedate fans in the league. He said they were mostly older, the type of people who had season tickets for generations. What happened? Did the lean years introduce a new angrier generation of fans to the mix?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Didn't a 9ers fan literally beat (or shoot someone I forget,) to death in the stadium parking lot last year?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

CyberPingu posted:

Didn't a 9ers fan literally beat (or shoot someone I forget,) to death in the stadium parking lot last year?

Yeah, though everything I see suggests that they're some of the most violent fans in the league

e: looks like that was a few years ago, unless there's a more recent one not showing up

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

They probably got priced out due to the Silicon Valley boom.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, though everything I see suggests that they're some of the most violent fans in the league

Yeah my point was that poo poo like that never gets brought up but Santa and Batteries get brought up all the loving time.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

CyberPingu posted:

that was KC, unless multiple fans have been beaten to death in stadium parking lots

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

CyberPingu posted:

Yeah my point was that poo poo like that never gets brought up but Santa and Batteries get brought up all the loving time.

That's because no one cares about the NFC/AFC West

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

CyberPingu posted:

I think it's due to both laziness and having a common enemy for people, i.e. "not my city".

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I’ve always considered the Eagle fan base to be a wretched hive of scum and villainy and I’ve always hated the team because of it.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Super Fan posted:

I’ve always considered the Eagle fan base to be a wretched hive of scum and villainy and I’ve always hated the team because of it.

cognitive bias is a hell of a drug

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

HatfulOfHollow posted:

The data includes arrests both inside and outside the stadium. It's as normalized as it's ever going to be because nobody reports attendance on tailgaters.

You missed the point. Larger stadiums will have more arrests by virtue of having more people in attendance (and likewise for smaller stadiums). The data isn't presented in a way that appears considers the size of the stadium. If every team had average fans, then the arrests rankings would look like the stadium size rankings. Being 4 spots above your stadium capacity ranking suggests disproportionate arrest totals.

This assumes that for the most part, bigger stadiums have more tailgaters, but that seems reasonable.

e2: That said, without seeing actual data, the differences between all but the best/worst teams is likely not statistically significant at any level worth getting upset over

e: vvv this guy gets it

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 19, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

CyberPingu posted:

embrace it, who gives a poo poo. yankees fan.gif loving rules and i don't get all bent out of shape about it.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

TheChirurgeon posted:

This assumes that for the most part, bigger stadiums have more tailgaters, but that seems reasonable.

I, too, like to mix my assumptions into data analysis. I find that it gives them a certain flare of wrongness that really makes my point better.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I, too, like to mix my assumptions into data analysis. I find that it gives them a certain flare of wrongness that really makes my point better.

haha, ok man

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The whole Eagles stadium thing is 100% because of The Vet. That thing was basically a Thunderdome and it ruled. But Philly itself also used to be way dirtier and rougher than it is now.

The Linc is about as nice and family friendly as a stadium gets.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

As I've crept into my 30's and have traveled around the country a bit to various stadiums, I've mostly found people to be pretty cool, as long as you're not a dick. There's gonna be dipshits everywhere, but the only way to fight the Philly fan stigma is just by being excellent to each other. Nothing we can do about stereotypes overnight.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It doesn't help when Philly fans like EDP go viral

The rest of you never stood a chance with that kind of representation

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

CyberPingu posted:

Santa and batteries is kind of a fun story. Parking lot stabbings not so much.

On another topic, I just got a new device for my wifi network and am thinking that I should probably update the "nelsonagholorblows" password.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
what's wrong with EDP?

• Locked thread