Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

TheScott2K posted:

Data dropping an "ohhhhhhhhh poo poo" was the highlight of that movie and probably the only upside to the Emotion Chip subplot.

Generations was a crappy, disappointing movie overall and was the worst send off to Kirk and the Enterprise-D you could have, but the movie certainly has its moments

Even Star Trek V has its moments

Into Darkness might be the only Trek movie where I can't think of a thing positive thing to say about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Gammatron 64 posted:

Generations was a crappy, disappointing movie overall and was the worst send off to Kirk and the Enterprise-D you could have, but the movie certainly has its moments

Into Darkness might be the only Trek movie where I can't think of a thing positive thing to say about it

ID would have been so much better if the Cumberbatch as Gary Mitchell rumors were true.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TheScott2K posted:

Data dropping an "ohhhhhhhhh poo poo" was the highlight of that movie and probably the only upside to the Emotion Chip subplot.

I also liked his Ten-Forward scene.

"I hate this! It is revolting!"
"More?"
"Please."

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I know Generations is bad and I know why, but I can't not watch it when it's on. It's like someone told them they'd only get to do one TNG movie so they threw in every half-idea they like "Klingons! Kirk! Horatio Hornblower! Spying with Geordi's visor! Crash the D!"

Plus seeing the D in widescreen with movie lighting is cool (not counting ST6)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What do you call a key bioweapon ingredient smuggled off Bajor in crates of food?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Hasperat?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

What do you call a key bioweapon ingredient smuggled off Bajor in crates of food?

Kanarmageddon

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Yeah, but you were an rear end in a top hat, so no.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

McNally posted:

"Who the hell goes into a radiation-filled chamber wearing only protective gloves, anyway?"

"Not now, Bones."

"Where's the damned logic in that?"

"Bones."

"Did he even need to go in there? I thought Scotty said the Radiation Room had remote manipulator arms."

"Bones."

"Why do we even have a Radiation Room?"

"Bones!"

I stand corrected..

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Kanarmageddon

Biomimetic Bagel

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

McNally posted:

"Who the hell goes into a radiation-filled chamber wearing only protective gloves, anyway?"

"Not now, Bones."

"Where's the damned logic in that?"

"Bones."

"Did he even need to go in there? I thought Scotty said the Radiation Room had remote manipulator arms."

"Bones."

"Why do we even have a Radiation Room?"

"Bones!"

Reminds me of my favorite bit from this Nemesis parody:

DATA: The transporters conveniently failed after sending Picard, so I'm going to leap across space to get to Shinzon's ship.
GEORDI: What about the transporters in the shuttles?
DATA: Shut up.
GEORDI: What about the Captain's Yacht?
GEORDI: Why didn't we just send a bomb instead of Picard?
GEORDI: What about the transporters in the cargo bays? They're independent units, remember?
DATA: What part of "shut the gently caress up" do you not understand? This is my big heroic exit, rear end in a top hat. Don't gently caress it up.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The only way I can think of for all the transporters to fail at once is if they use the same power supply or transceiver. And that would be incredibly stupid design.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The only way I can think of for all the transporters to fail at once is if they use the same power supply or transceiver. And that would be incredibly stupid design.

Sir, I'm detecting an anti-transporton field. The transport particles in the transporter won't be able to transport until we clear the field.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Would that be more stupid or less stupid than self-destruct being "offline"?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"Captain, that last hit was so devastating that it made our ship incapable of exploding!"

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I guess it depends how that's engineered to work. Is it overload the reactor? Because the reactor going dead would put a pin in that, I imagine.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

The Bloop posted:

Sir, I'm detecting an anti-transporton field. The transport particles in the transporter won't be able to transport until we clear the field.

Hold up, lemme check something.

Yep. I can transmodulate the deflector particle emitter array to create a subspace anti-anti-transporter field.

But it'll take 12 space hours to do it...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mogomra posted:

Hold up, lemme check something.

Yep. I can transmodulate the deflector particle emitter array to create a subspace anti-anti-transporter field.

But it'll take 12 space hours to do it...

You have eight, chief.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I guess it depends how that's engineered to work. Is it overload the reactor? Because the reactor going dead would put a pin in that, I imagine.

I always found it odd how they focus so much on warp core failures and not the gigantic tanks of anti-matter which just turning off the power to should release the energy of a small star.

Then again those things must be really well reinforced given how many times we see them power up derilict ships and have things like Voyager crashing into a planet without a containment failure.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Senor Tron posted:

I always found it odd how they focus so much on warp core failures and not the gigantic tanks of anti-matter which just turning off the power to should release the energy of a small star.

Then again those things must be really well reinforced given how many times we see them power up derilict ships and have things like Voyager crashing into a planet without a containment failure.
They actually do address this, it seems to be a simple and really tough magnetic bottle which presumably does not require active power to operate.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
We know it's possible to gently caress up the containment pods because that was the ticking time-bomb scenario for TNG Disaster (and 11001001 to a lesser extent).

It's just so grossly stupid because they have options. They could have loaded up all the shuttlecraft to go board the Scimitar. They could have rigged a phaser pointed at the main reactor or the antimatter pods to go off via timer/remote, or asked someone to volunteer to pull a Data and phaser the core/pods themselves. There were the aforementioned shuttlecraft transporters (as much as I think that concept is also dumb). There are possibly non-antimatter explosives around the ship to be used as scuttling charges in the event that the ship had previously ejected its warp core and antimatter pods and now needed to be self-destructed.

I think it was just a replay of that stupid loving Voyager episode where the "secondary processors" got knocked out and oh no the self-destruct is broken. John Logan is a goddamn shithead.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

LOL so Levar is watching Trek on Heroes and Icons tv every night like me then! :allears:

It's great, they air TOS TNG DS9 VOY and ENT. Every weekday! All Good Things was indeed on last night.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The thing about core failures which bothers me most is that apparently in the future they don't engineer anything to fail safe. I know for dramas sake things must always be failing the most lethal way possible, but goddamn. Like the turbolift in Disaster, why does it fall? There should be no gravity in the tube, so when it loses power it should just lock into place due to the absence of voltage holding the locks open.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The thing about core failures which bothers me most is that apparently in the future they don't engineer anything to fail safe. I know for dramas sake things must always be failing the most lethal way possible, but goddamn. Like the turbolift in Disaster, why does it fall? There should be no gravity in the tube, so when it loses power it should just lock into place due to the absence of voltage holding the locks open.
In the future we have the technology to make everything completely safe, so ship systems are programmed to go disastrously wrong in order to spice things up and keep crews on their toes.

This is also why Utopia Planitia packs every third console with nitroglycerine.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There should be little totally independent cubes with their own power sources and their own computer systems, communications transporters and sensors scattered through the ship that you can call up for when main poo poo fails.

Wait that's just shuttles.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

:ssh:

Watched the first couple of episodes of ds9. I'm liking the cast so far; Garak is pretty great and it's cool to see Obrien doing things besides operating transporters

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Totally agree about the turbolift, that was dumb (it's still a great episode) but the warp core is different because there really is no safe failure mode for goddamn antimatter (or Romulan singularities either probably)

Although... is that IN the core? Where is the anti-deuterium kept? Is that what's above/below the reaction chamber in that big tube they shoot out of the ship (way way not far enough to be safe from an antimatter explosion of that scale)?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

McNally posted:

"Captain, that last hit was so devastating that it made our ship incapable of exploding!"

- Kif, to Zapp Brannigan probably

speng31b
May 8, 2010

PenguinKnight posted:

:ssh:

Watched the first couple of episodes of ds9. I'm liking the cast so far; Garak is pretty great and it's cool to see Obrien doing things besides operating transporters

You'll wish he'd go back to just the transporters soon. All O'Brien plots are the worst

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PenguinKnight posted:

Garak is pretty great

Oh, you have no idea how great he is. Just wait. :allears:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Bloop posted:

Totally agree about the turbolift, that was dumb (it's still a great episode) but the warp core is different because there really is no safe failure mode for goddamn antimatter (or Romulan singularities either probably)

Although... is that IN the core? Where is the anti-deuterium kept? Is that what's above/below the reaction chamber in that big tube they shoot out of the ship (way way not far enough to be safe from an antimatter explosion of that scale)?

Matter reserves are in the starboard nacelle, antimatter is in the port nacelle. That's why they need 2.

Edit: the Enteprise from the future has 3 nacelles because, uh, hold on I'll think of something.

speng31b posted:

You'll wish he'd go back to just the transporters soon. All O'Brien plots are the worst

What

Ok, maybe the plots are something we can disagree on, but you'd better not be talking about O'Brien the character or Colm Meaney.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Ok, maybe the plots are something we can disagree on, but you'd better not be talking about O'Brien the character or Colm Meaney.

Everything that happens to him is boring.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Edit: the Enteprise from the future has 3 nacelles because, uh, hold on I'll think of something.

The third one holds their spores.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

speng31b posted:

Everything that happens to him is boring.

I thought your hot take would be "I dont like watching the same character repeatedly suffer, over and over" which isn't a bad take but his episodes being boring is super weird

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Lord Krangdar posted:

The third one holds their spores.

drat it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Matter reserves are in the starboard nacelle, antimatter is in the port nacelle. That's why they need 2.

They haven't done the matter-nacelle/antimatter-nacelle concept since TOS, everything since at least TNG has had the antimatter pods at the very bottom of the ship.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

They inject the matter at the top of the tube and antimatter at the bottom, the tube constricts and guides and shapes the streams precisely into colliding exactly how they want it in the reaction chamber, and that is exposed to the warp plasma to generate energy.

In Voyager the the entire glowy bit is a long reaction chamber, the glow is the warp plasma the reaction is pumping energy into and there are collisions along the length.

When the core threatens to breach they're losing control of the antimatter stream already in the tube.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 20, 2017

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

They haven't done the matter-nacelle/antimatter-nacelle concept since TOS, everything since at least TNG has had the antimatter pods at the very bottom of the ship.

I was joking, hence the 3rd nacelle comment. "Everything I know about warp drive I learned from TOS" sounds about right though.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

PenguinKnight posted:

it's cool to see Obrien doing things besides operating transporters

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Lol the visor