Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I am not adjusting well at all to Friday releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Maybe they just didn't want to cut their friend's hand off when there was a perfectly good key maker person right there. Judging from how Law reacted from loosing and arm, that poo poo HURTS even for One Piece characters. You can't go and compare everyone to Zoro.

Also, I assume like all other regenerative powers in any manga ever there is a limit and it costs energy to heal stuff and eventually he'd run out.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

uh counterpoint he's a phoenix

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
When Ace got fisted I half expected Marco to do some kind of lame self-sacrifice where he would somehow use his Phoenix powers to bring back Ace and die in his place. I'm glad Oda was above that

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Star Platinum posted:

When Ace got fisted I half expected Marco to do some kind of lame self-sacrifice where he would somehow use his Phoenix powers to bring back Ace and die in his place. I'm glad Oda was above that

he brought him back in the very next arc.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Japan needs to commit crimes better so we can read one piece on thursdays again

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I’m not ruling out Borsalino for the end-boss, to be honest.

Let’s run it down. It seems reasonably likely that attacking the World Government in Mariejois will be the end-game. Blackbeard and Luffy (and most of the other pirates in the world) are racing to become Pirate King, which is accomplished by reaching Raftel first. That means that by definition, no pirate will be a significant threat beyond Raftel, because Luffy has already beaten them. On the other hand, Raftel does appear to be central to the secrets of the Void Century, which will put the Straw Hats right on a collision course with the WG.

Now, the obvious main antagonist at this point would be Sakazuki, but I’m not really buying him. He’s not quirky enough for a main villain, or deeply enough involved with whatever horrible secret the World government has - he’s their enforcer, not one of them, and has clashed with them on his men’s behalf after Dressrossa. He’s a representative of the evils of the Marines, but not of the evils of Mariejois, if you follow me. Plus, he doesn’t make an interesting counterpoint to Luffy, has had his rear end kicked by Emperors (the class of opponents Luffy is up against in this very arc), and has an obvious alternative opponent in Sabo, the heavy hitter of the anti-WG armed forces (Dragon versus Kong seems likely for similar reasons).

Borsalino, meanwhile, is the weirdest of the three initial Marine Admirals, the most enigmatic, and very possibly the most powerful - he has the most obviously broken Devil Fruit, and has only ever been delayed, not beaten, despite going up against some of the most powerful characters in the story, and despite clearly giving absolutely minimal shits. He’s the Yellow Monkey, he’s connected to the secrets of the world through the Pacifista program and Vegapunk, and after the darkness of Blackbeard, the ‘False D’, his light powers seem positively... dare I say it... celestial. Having attacks named after the Imperial Regalia of Japan doesn’t exactly dissuade that notion, either.

Basically, if Borsalino turns out to be the secret power behind the thrones of the World Government and Luffy’s final opponent, I totally called it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'd still say Blackbeard for end boss. Mariejois is clearly there to protect something, which Blackbeard would likely want to attain complete dominance. The true race between Luffy and Blackbeard could be to Mariejois rather than Raftel, with the government attempting to stop them both.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm leaning towards the final boss being one of the Ancient Weapons rather than a person.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Fair, although it could be both, given that Shirahoshi is Poseidon.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the final boss is doflamingo. he's back on raftel and he's puppeting the crew to fight luffy oh no

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Birdcage 2: electric aaa-su

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'd still say Blackbeard for end boss. Mariejois is clearly there to protect something, which Blackbeard would likely want to attain complete dominance. The true race between Luffy and Blackbeard could be to Mariejois rather than Raftel, with the government attempting to stop them both.

I don’t buy it, because that wouldn’t be piratical enough for a manga about pirates. Pirates are outlaws and rebels, and a rival for the post of chief rebel, the man most outside the laws of the World Government or anone else, can never be as important an enemy as the people you’re rebelling against in the first place.

Blackbeard’s authority isn’t nearly established enough for him to serve as as great a symbol of oppression as the people who have been grinding the world under their heels for centuries.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True, it would make sense that after (or perhaps a little before) Luffy finds One Piece and becomes the new Pirate King the next logical step would be tearing down the established world order to ensure the cycle doesn't just repeat itself all over again.

They already have allies in high places that have suffered in the past thanks to the WG (Alabasta, Drum, Fishman Island, etc.) and perhaps a few of them could be persuaded to join the Straw Hats in their fight (for example, while Vivi probably isn't joining the crew I could certainly see her at least helping them out again in some capacity later on, she does have a debt to repay after all). So taking out the ones responsible would be a understandable direction direction for the endgame. I have a feeling that something big is most likely going to happen by the time we get to the Reverie.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 19, 2017

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

the final boss is going to be the Lord of the Coast, who's been training to become a Sea Emperor ever since Luffy wasted him back in chapter 1

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfALtoGv1q4

D: Hate to say but the Fisher Tiger death scene in the dubs kind of bad

Double Edit: Comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqwcR_R2160

Sinners Sandwich fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 19, 2017

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sinners Sandwich posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfALtoGv1q4

D: Hate to say but the Fisher Tiger death scene in the dubs kind of bad

Double Edit: Comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqwcR_R2160

his dub voice is bad :(

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
that guy has like no credits so hes probably new, kind of a shame, hope he improves

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

I don’t buy it, because that wouldn’t be piratical enough for a manga about pirates. Pirates are outlaws and rebels, and a rival for the post of chief rebel, the man most outside the laws of the World Government or anone else, can never be as important an enemy as the people you’re rebelling against in the first place.

Blackbeard’s authority isn’t nearly established enough for him to serve as as great a symbol of oppression as the people who have been grinding the world under their heels for centuries.
Blackbeard's whole point is that he isn't established. He's rising along with Luffy. When Luffy reaches the top, he'll find Blackbeard there gasping for breath having just gotten there too. And then they'll fight.

The defeat of the Marines and the fall of the World Government are probably important things that will happen before the end, but that just means whoever becomes the Pirate King will be of even more world-changing significance.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I'm leaning towards the final boss being one of the Ancient Weapons rather than a person.

I've been thinking that a fitting final enemy could be, like, an airship ancient weapon (Uranus, maybe) controlled by whatever the leadership of the Celestial Dragons is - I can imagine the finale being something like the entire supporting cast helping Luffy take it out before its operator does something apocalyptic.

We know that there are extremely strong people on the level of the admirals guarding the Celestial Dragons too (from Big Mom's flashback) so I imagine whoever that is could play some kind of role in the endgame, too.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
its gonna feel really bad if the final fight isn't someone we know by now (akainu or blackbeard)

i could buy it if they're introduced in the reverie tho

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

We know that there are extremely strong people on the level of the admirals guarding the Celestial Dragons too (from Big Mom's flashback) so I imagine whoever that is could play some kind of role in the endgame, too.

We do? I don't remember any indication of this.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

anime was right posted:

its gonna feel really bad if the final fight isn't someone we know by now (akainu or blackbeard)

Blackbeard is a possibility, but Akainu isn't strong enough to be Luffy's final opponent.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Eiba posted:

Blackbeard's whole point is that he isn't established. He's rising along with Luffy. When Luffy reaches the top, he'll find Blackbeard there gasping for breath having just gotten there too. And then they'll fight.

The defeat of the Marines and the fall of the World Government are probably important things that will happen before the end, but that just means whoever becomes the Pirate King will be of even more world-changing significance.

You become Pirate King when you reach Raftel. We’ve also been strongly encouraged to think that here are lots of world-shaking secrets on Raftel. In other words, the Straw Hats will still have poo poo to do once Luffy is Pirate King, and it will probably put them into conflict with the WG.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The final boss is Buggy D. Clown.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
The real final boss is actually Diamon D Roger, father of both Gol D Roger and Monkey D Ragon, who has been hiding his spiritual energy on the moon until the power of the legendary weapons could be brought together to free him.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

anime was right posted:

I sort of agree, I don't feel like any individual character could fill the "final boss" role as well as either of them could. (And even though I think the story is leading up to the World Government being the final villains, I definitely think Blackbeard feels like more of an ultimate enemy than Akainu. I don't see Blackbeard not being dealt with before Luffy reaches One Piece though.) But I think the Celestial Dragons have had enough buildup as the ultimate evil in the One Piece world that if the final boss was "some Celestial Dragons on an established world-destroying ancient weapon", it would fit.

Silver2195 posted:

Blackbeard is a possibility, but Akainu isn't strong enough to be Luffy's final opponent.

I don't think it's too out there for Luffy to never be strong enough to beat absolute monsters like Big Mom or Kaido in a pure one-on-one fight. Maybe Luffy's personal strength tops out at roughly where the admirals are (assuming that is a step below the emperors) and Akainu ends up being the strongest opponent Luffy takes down on his own. The gap in strength between Blackbeard and Akainu might not be that big if Blackbeard ends up primarily having gotten his position through subterfuge and trickery, too - he doesn't have to be as unbeatable as Kaido.

Silver2195 posted:

We do? I don't remember any indication of this.

Mother Carmel's conversation with the CP0 member has her saying that Big Mom could become strong enough to become an admiral or a Celestial Dragon guard. I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean Cipher Pol has fighters of that caliber - maybe Big Mom would have been the first - but it seems reasonable to assume there are some monsters up there too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Blackbeard always had a plan. He just knew it would take a lot of luck and almost gave up before he got his chance. Once he got that chance he started to capitalize on it pretty hard. Think about Impel Down -- if Luffy wasn't causing a riot I don't think it's strange to think that Blackbeard could have used his position to bluff his way to the point that he could start freeing people himself before bringing Magellan down on him. But, hey, in the timeline we did get fate smiled on him, like it often seems to.

I think it is strange to imagine that, because we already saw a Warlord attempt to bluff her way in to Impel Down with Boa Hancock and she was subject to just as much scrutiny as any other outsider, barely making it in the door before having to trust that Luffy could do the rest without her help.

Darth Walrus posted:

He’s not quirky enough for a main villain, or deeply enough involved with whatever horrible secret the World government has - he’s their enforcer, not one of them, and has clashed with them on his men’s behalf after Dressrossa.

Tell that to the people saying Katakuri is the villain of this arc despite having no personality, quirk or involvement in any of the lovely things any of the Big Mom pirates has done to the Strawhats or their allies beyond being on the same crew. I'd also point out that just because a character hasn't displayed quirks yet, doesn't mean they have none to display. We didn't really get to see Robin's for a while after she joined, and she's one of the main characters.

Darth Walrus posted:

Plus, he doesn’t make an interesting counterpoint to Luffy, has had his rear end kicked by Emperors (the class of opponents Luffy is up against in this very arc), and has an obvious alternative opponent in Sabo, the heavy hitter of the anti-WG armed forces (Dragon versus Kong seems likely for similar reasons).

I still find it weird that people's main argument that Sabo should take on Akainu seems to be that he killed Ace, but some of the same people will argue that Luffy has a personal grudge with Blackbeard for capturing Ace. Anyway, that aside, Luffy is all about personal freedom and the main reason he wants to be the Pirate King by his own words is because the Pirate King is the most free man in the world; meanwhile, Akainu is solely about justice and law (i.e. absolute justice), putting those things above freedoms. That alone makes him a counterpoint to Luffy. How interesting you think that is is entirely subjective, but it's certainly there. He's the one admiral most in line with that way of thinking too, since Borselino is more just about doing what he's been ordered to do, while Fujitora appears to more about personal justice.

I also think saying Whitebeard kicked Akainu's rear end is over selling what happened. Their fights lasted only about 5 or 6 pages total in the manga, and Akainu was actually holding his own pretty well against Whitebeard within those few pages. The first time they clash it's ended quickly when Whitebeard has a coughing fit that Akainu takes advantage of to punch a hole in his chest, and the next time we see Whitebeard it's just some random admirals attacking him if I recall, while the second time they clash it's almost immediately over again because Whitebeard opens a hole in the ground underneath Akainu to give himself room and time, but not before Akainu takes off a huge chunk of his face despite Whitebeard not being coughing or in any other way less than. Whitebeard was still clearly the superior fighter of the two, but Akaunu never had his rear end kicked in the manga. The anime makes it a lot less even from what I've seen of it by drawing things out a lot more, but the manga was very quick and Akainu did more damage to him in those few pages than anyone (or everyone) else did in the whole arc.

Darth Walrus posted:

Borsalino, meanwhile has only ever been delayed, not beaten, despite going up against some of the most powerful characters in the story

Huh? Marco was fighting him roughly evenly the little we saw of it, and Borsalino was completely stopped by Ben Beckman despite stating that he'd kill everyone previously. That's not delaying, that's flat out being stopped. He hasn't fought anyone on the same level as Whitebeard to know how he handles someone of that strength, but Beckman cowed him in to in-action simply by his presence.

Eiba posted:

There is literally no point to the Rio Poneglyph at the very least, which details the history of the Void Century and the World Governments sins if the World Government is already going to be defeated before arriving at Raftel to read it. At that point it'd just be pointless exposition, along the lines of "oh, so that's why we beat those guys up an arc or two ago".

Silver2195 posted:

I believe you have that backwards. Blackbeard ran from Akainu rather than face him, even after obtaining multiple fruit powers and declaring that this was now "his era". And it wasn't that he faced Akainu, decided he couldn't win and left; it was that as soon as he was told Akainu was coming, he decided to leave rather than ever face Akainu, even with multiple fruits he'd had at least a few days (if not weeks) to play around with and his entire crew with him. Akainu also did significant damage to Whitebeard when they fought, and gave him the wounds that are almost certainly responsible for his death. Blackbeard got his rear end kicked immediately by Whitebeard, and it wasn't even a contest.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

blackbeard is so obviously the final boss i don't understand you if you disagree

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

He's the final pirate boss it's just a question of whether other pirates or the world government are the end game.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I think yall are downplaying BB quite a bit.
He accomplished a shitload just by being the backstabbingest, scallywaggiest oppurtunistic bastard in the series.

Everyone else became a monstrous punchman known in every corner of the world on the way but he got there incredibly loving fast from basically nothing once he showed his cards.

Bb might actually be the most clever character in the series. And the most like an actual pirate.

I think this is an important point, and one of the reasons I think Blackbeard will be the final boss. One major element of One Piece is Romanticism. Luffy is a pirate, but for him, that's all about freedom and adventure and friendship. Blackbeard is a pirate. And that makes him the perfect foil/rival/dark reflection of Luffy.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Fujitora being immune to Hancock is pretty fun. And one of Brook's attacks is him doing a sword thrust while going 45 degrees! This is a fun game. I always liked the idea of the DW style games but they never really clicked for me. Turns out all they needed was a million cool characters I already like.

Oh, man, I never noticed Fujitora was immune to Hancock. Goddamn. I did notice that Luffy is missing his shadow in the Thriller Bark level.

tsob posted:

I believe you have that backwards. Blackbeard ran from Akainu rather than face him, even after obtaining multiple fruit powers and declaring that this was now "his era". And it wasn't that he faced Akainu, decided he couldn't win and left; it was that as soon as he was told Akainu was coming, he decided to leave rather than ever face Akainu, even with multiple fruits he'd had at least a few days (if not weeks) to play around with and his entire crew with him. Akainu also did significant damage to Whitebeard when they fought, and gave him the wounds that are almost certainly responsible for his death. Blackbeard got his rear end kicked immediately by Whitebeard, and it wasn't even a contest.

Two things.

1) I always read Blackbeard's decision to back off when he was told Akainu was coming was because the marine being sent to handle the exchange being Akainu signaled that the marines had no intention of going through with the deal. Blackbeard was simply avoiding a pointless fight.

2) This is outdated information. Blackbeard's had two years to master two extremely powerful fruits. He's an Emperor now. I think it's reasonable to assume he's surpassed Akainu in terms of raw power.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Arist posted:

blackbeard is so obviously the final boss i don't understand you if you disagree
I've been saying this for years, but tsob's gonna tsob.

(I do appreciate your effort posts, tsob, even when I disagree.)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I don't think it's too out there for Luffy to never be strong enough to beat absolute monsters like Big Mom or Kaido in a pure one-on-one fight. Maybe Luffy's personal strength tops out at roughly where the admirals are (assuming that is a step below the emperors) and Akainu ends up being the strongest opponent Luffy takes down on his own. The gap in strength between Blackbeard and Akainu might not be that big if Blackbeard ends up primarily having gotten his position through subterfuge and trickery, too - he doesn't have to be as unbeatable as Kaido.

Hmm.

someone on another site posted:

why the gently caress do I see Luffy over blackbeard? When is the main character ever stronger than the main VILLAIN? almost never

Madara > Naruto
Yhwach > Ichigo
Father > Edward Elric
Kid Buu > Goku
etc.

Naturally Blackbeard will be stronger than luffy, otherwise there wouldn't be a point or suspense in the fight.

The counterargument is that if Luffy isn't established as the strongest, it won't feel like he's fully become Pirate King.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

lowercase16 posted:

I think this is an important point, and one of the reasons I think Blackbeard will be the final boss. One major element of One Piece is Romanticism. Luffy is a pirate, but for him, that's all about freedom and adventure and friendship. Blackbeard is a pirate. And that makes him the perfect foil/rival/dark reflection of Luffy.

Blackbeard is a Hollywood depiction of a pirate. It's also worth noting that while Blackbeard is a pirate, he's also only a pirate. Akainu is the law, the things pirates rebel against, and it's possible to view him as more important in that regard alone. It's also worth noting that being a foil/rival/dark reflection doesn't make one guaranteed to be the final boss in and of itself.

lowercase16 posted:

1) I always read Blackbeard's decision to back off when he was told Akainu was coming was because the marine being sent to handle the exchange being Akainu signaled that the marines had no intention of going through with the deal. Blackbeard was simply avoiding a pointless fight.

Van Auger is the one that assumes they're not going to get the ship because Akainu is on board; Blackbeard tells his crew they're leaving becuase he's not ready to get involved in that kind of tussle yet.

lowercase16 posted:

2) This is outdated information. Blackbeard's had two years to master two extremely powerful fruits. He's an Emperor now. I think it's reasonable to assume he's surpassed Akainu in terms of raw power, just like Blackbeard did.

Why is it reasonable to assume Blackbeard has grown in power, but you won't extend the same courtesy to Akainu despite obtaining a new title and martial power in that same time period?

Eiba posted:

I've been saying this for years, but tsob's gonna tsob.

(I do appreciate your effort posts, tsob, even when I disagree.)

Most people hold that view as far as I can tell, and 500 chapters ago I'd have agreed. There's been a lot of stuff has happened in the last decade or more and too much implication about the broader setting, the World Government, a greater battle against them etc. to make my change my view though, and I enjoy arguing it even if people don't agree or change their mind. I'd hope doing so isn't too annoying to others as well.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 19, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't think Blackbeard is the end villain either, it's not that crazy to think Luffy takes on the WG as Pirate King not before and I don't think Blackbeard will still be around after Luffy becomes Pirate King.

I mean to write more about my dude's Borsalino theory but I need to rush off! I think he's just a classic lazy dude though who is also a psychopath. Akainu is a total oval office but he's upholding the law and righteousness in his view, I think Kizaru just likes killing. He's so blasé about everything in the Paramount War.

The most out there theory I follow is that Bonney is keeping the Elder Stars young and possibly has been since the Void Century or at least for a long time. She pretty clearly is related to the WG and Akainu mentions how worried he was when she left. Maybe she's just his or another top marine's daughter though.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

tsob posted:

Blackbeard is a Hollywood depiction of a pirate. It's also worth noting that while Blackbeard is a pirate, he's also only a pirate. Akainu is the law, the things pirates rebel against, and it's possible to view him as more important in that regard alone. It's also worth noting that being a foil/rival/dark reflection doesn't make one guaranteed to be the final boss in and of itself.

Not "guaranteed", no, but I think it's more thematically appropriate. Because I think you're giving Akainu too much thematic weight here. Akainu isn't what they're rebelling against. The people they're rebelling against are the people holding Akainu's leash.

tsob posted:

Why is it reasonable to assume Blackbeard has grown in power, but you won't extend the same courtesy to Akainu despite obtaining a new title and martial power in that same time period?

Because there's no reason to? The two years is significant for people coming up, not for people already at the top. He was already an Admiral; he just got a promotion. And even that wasn't because he suddenly got stronger than Sengoku. It was because Sengoku retired.

tsob posted:

I'd hope doing so isn't too annoying to others as well.

Nah, not at all. Especially when there's no new chapter yet.

Hopefully, people who don't care about discussions or effort posts just scroll past them. I usually do.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Sabo is going to fight akainu because he made a big deal about the lava fruit being more powerful than the fire fruit

When zoro fights mohawk is a bit of an odd one

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Akainu isn't the final villain though, no chance. It'll be someone who hasn't been revealed yet, a member of the Elder Stars, or an ancient weapon or a mix of all three. Akainu was smoked by the corpse of Whitebeard and he's already like 50 himself so it's not likely he'll have become way stronger in two years. he wouldn't be close to Luffy's class during the end.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

EmmyOk posted:

I don't think Blackbeard is the end villain either, it's not that crazy to think Luffy takes on the WG as Pirate King not before

Whitebeard says as much just before he dies. His exact words going by the translation I saw:

Whitebeard posted:

"Sengoku you and the World Government all fear that battle engulfing the whole world that will eventually come. As soon as someone finds that treasure the world will be turned upside down. And someone will find it."

EmmyOk posted:

I think he's just a classic lazy dude though who is also a psychopath. Akainu is a total oval office but he's upholding the law and righteousness in his view, I think Kizaru just likes killing. He's so blasé about everything in the Paramount War.

I wouldn't even say it's that he likes killing; I think the dude is just kind of slow mentally. I don't mean less capable in some fashion, I think Oda just made him slow to process, talk and act in order to compensate his power being light, and he's happy just doing his job without ever really worrying about what he's doing or why.

lowercase16 posted:

Not "guaranteed", no, but I think it's more thematically appropriate. Because I think you're giving Akainu too much thematic weight here. Akainu isn't what they're rebelling against. The people they're rebelling against are the people holding Akainu's leash.

I do find that people view Akainu only as an attack dog quite a lot, which is strange to me when Akainu has showed willingness to tug that leash and turn on the Gorosei after Doflamingo's defeat at the very least. Akainu isn't the laws themselves, but he does completely believe in enforcing them and not the orders of the people at the top. The people holding his leash seem to only have a tenuous grip on it from what we can see and they're almost certainly going to lose that grip at some point.

lowercase16 posted:

Because there's no reason to? The two years is significant for people coming up, not for people already at the top. He was already an Admiral; he just got a promotion. And even that wasn't because he suddenly got stronger than Sengoku. It was because Sengoku retired.

It's entirely possible to view Akainu as rising through the ranks just like Blackbeard. He started in the story as an Admiral, akin to Blackbeard starting as a member of the strongest pirate crew in the world. And while he got his promotion because Sengoku retired, he had to fight Ao Kiji for the title and prove himself physically stronger to get it; a fight that scarred an entire island irrevocably. Saying he only got it because Sengoku retired is akin to saying that Blackbeard only got his title because Whitebeard died.

Jose posted:

Sabo is going to fight akainu because he made a big deal about the lava fruit being more powerful than the fire fruit

Big deal? He said it like once.

EmmyOk posted:

Akainu isn't the final villain though, no chance. It'll be someone who hasn't been revealed yet, a member of the Elder Stars, or an ancient weapon or a mix of all three. Akainu was smoked by the corpse of Whitebeard and he's already like 50 himself so it's not likely he'll have become way stronger in two years. he wouldn't be close to Luffy's class during the end.

Blackbeard lost a lot harder than Akainu and did no damage in the bargain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Spoilers are out already, not a lot really happens this chapter :smith: