Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

can't you just automate the creation of new certs via lets encrypt?

or are you unwilling to allocate IPs to each subdomain?

think of a situation like this: https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/custom-domains#add-a-wildcard-domain

where the webapp might not have control over anything so gauche as an IP address or cert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
It seems like a strange decision because the automation steps involved in using lets encrypt for wildcard certs could probably just as easily be applied to using lets encrypt for dynamic subdomains. I guess if you're big enough maybe you'd hit their 100 domains-a-week limit?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

the only legitimate reason to use a wildcard is if you have dynamic subdomains and if you have those you're probably a massive content provider anyway

e: or i guess if it's a private wildcard you just use for internal testing / validation or something like that i guess

not even then since you can just generate a new cert w/ the additional san on deployment

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
nice thing about wildcard certs is that if your key is compromised all your customers sites are compromised and it makes it much easier to deal with the class action lawsuit since you dont have to track exactly which customer was owned (it was all of them).

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

wyoak posted:

It seems like a strange decision because the automation steps involved in using lets encrypt for wildcard certs could probably just as easily be applied to using lets encrypt for dynamic subdomains. I guess if you're big enough maybe you'd hit their 100 domains-a-week limit?

not everyone is going to automate LE, and not everyone should integrate LE automation into their database skin

i worked on some poo poo nine years back where travel agents would sign up to get a landing page microsite internet marketing jargon puke goes here for their agency to sell spots on a particular cruise ship, and we ended up with like 1000 registrations in the first 24h, each with a custom subdomain that all went to one app instance

like that's textbook wildcard

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
i mean working for an ad agency is hell and i would recommend nobody ever do that but at least i know what a wildcard cert is good for

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A dutch insurance company is now offering a cybersec insurance for home users.

When you sign up, you get a F-Secure router for free, the insurance says you are required to install it and use that for all your home internet connections. You also get a phone app in case you ever connect your phone to a network other than your home network.

Then if your computer gets hosed up by malware, you can call them and an expert will help restore your data. If the computer is hosed beyond repair, the insurance will pay money as a compensation for the loss. They won't pay out more than 3 times per year per home though.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wildcard has some uses but I just don't see any application where let's encrypt is acceptable and wildcard certs are acceptable at the same time

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

god i so so hope that the kaspersky bullshit doesn’t mean the fsb have infiltrated jetbrains too

They are based out of st. Pete, and are an it services company.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Did anyone actually read this because it's the stupidest scare mongering thing I've read in a while.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

can't you just automate the creation of new certs via lets encrypt?

or are you unwilling to allocate IPs to each subdomain?

I wrote a few ansible workflows now, which allocate letsencrypt certs to nginx instances automagically, its super duper easy to do took me like 2h and i was new to ansible

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

wildcard certs have their place. i used them in a "holy poo poo we have no certs for anything what the gently caress is wrong" period for a few months while i rolled out auto-renewing LE certs for each server

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Cocoa Crispies posted:

not everyone is going to automate LE, and not everyone should integrate LE automation into their database skin

i worked on some poo poo nine years back where travel agents would sign up to get a landing page microsite internet marketing jargon puke goes here for their agency to sell spots on a particular cruise ship, and we ended up with like 1000 registrations in the first 24h, each with a custom subdomain that all went to one app instance

that's also textbook LE without wildcards, but ignoring that my point is

spankmeister posted:

Wildcard has some uses but I just don't see any application where let's encrypt is acceptable and wildcard certs are acceptable at the same time

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah back at Heroku there was some wedding website that would give everyone a custom domain. So for those to have something like 18,000 registered domains to the same app and matching certificates is pure rear end and you may as well wildcard them to one entry.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

of course cse has their documentation in english and french https://bitbucket.org/cse-assemblyline/assemblyline

on the other hand it makes their malware standout

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

wyoak posted:

that's also textbook LE without wildcards, but ignoring that my point is
https://letsencrypt.org/docs/rate-limits/

quote:

The main limit is Certificates per Registered Domain, (20 per week). A registered domain is, generally speaking, the part of the domain you purchased from your domain name registrar. For instance, in the name https://www.example.com the registered domain is example.com. In new.blog.example.co.uk, the registered domain is example.co.uk. We use the Public Suffix List to calculate the registered domain.

If you have a lot of subdomains, you may want to combine them into a single certificate, up to a limit of 100 Names per Certificate. Combined with the above limit, that means you can issue certificates containing up to 2,000 unique subdomains per week. A certificate with multiple names is often called a SAN certificate, or sometimes a UCC certificate.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

nice thing about wildcard certs is that if your key is compromised all your customers sites are compromised and it makes it much easier to deal with the class action lawsuit since you dont have to track exactly which customer was owned (it was all of them).

I admit it; I laughed pretty good at this post.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

whats the new mandatory aslr setting in defender

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

god i so so hope that the kaspersky bullshit doesn’t mean the fsb have infiltrated jetbrains too

quote:

JetBrains (formerly IntelliJ) is a software development company whose tools are targeted towards software developers and project managers.

As of 2017, the company has around 700 employees in its six offices in Prague, Saint Petersburg, Moscow, Munich, Boston and Novosibirsk.

No I'm sure it's fine

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
To be fair, they did mover their HQ over to the Czech Republic, so it's probably ok.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i dont care if a saas app has our company name in the domain or not. probably better if it doesnt since the outcome of that tends to be that it cant ever be renamed.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

off unless the program's built with /dynamicbase, but you can set it to force it on everything anyway. cfg/dep/sehop/heap integrity are on by default at least

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

off unless the program's built with /dynamicbase, but you can set it to force it on everything anyway. cfg/dep/sehop/heap integrity are on by default at least

yeah i figured this part out but what does it do, in moderately simple english?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it requires headphones and for you to close your eyes

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yeah i figured this part out but what does it do, in moderately simple english?
unless a program has been compiled by the dev to work correctly with aslr windows won't make use of the mitigation, but you can force it system-wide and ignore that. same practice they've been doing since implementation really

google's trying out bug bounties post-fix in certain popular google play apps: https://security.googleblog.com/2017/10/introducing-google-play-security-reward.html

by post-fix i mean the dev has to have patched it, and it's a small starting pool: https://hackerone.com/googleplay

participating candidates atm: alibaba, dropbox, duolingo, headspace, line, mail.ru, snapchat, tinder

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

my code will give them aids lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

don't work in national security if u like jetbrains

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

akadajet posted:

don't work in national security

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
working in national security is exactly like yt's mom's job in snow crash is portrayed: you get to work on a tiny part of a thing you are forbidden from understanding and there are insipid metrics and meetings

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:yeah:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Phone posted:

it requires headphones and for you to close your eyes

*giggle*

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

What's the best article yall got to convince cjs that wildcards are bad?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

unless a program has been compiled by the dev to work correctly with aslr windows won't make use of the mitigation, but you can force it system-wide and ignore that. same practice they've been doing since implementation really

google's trying out bug bounties post-fix in certain popular google play apps: https://security.googleblog.com/2017/10/introducing-google-play-security-reward.html

by post-fix i mean the dev has to have patched it, and it's a small starting pool: https://hackerone.com/googleplay

participating candidates atm: alibaba, dropbox, duolingo, headspace, line, mail.ru, snapchat, tinder

thanks, but now to my question, what is aslr and what does it do :v:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

thanks, but now to my question, what is aslr and what does it do :v:

Adress space randomization. Makes it harder to take advantage of buffer overflows.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

Adress space randomization. Makes it harder to take advantage of buffer overflows.

ah, cheers

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

Specifically it makes it harder to know addresses, it's not particularly about buffer overflows (just as applicable to many attack primitives).

It means you don't know, short a leak, the address of the function or ROP gadget you want to jump to or struct in memory you wish to mess with isn't known to you at runtime as an attacker.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Trabisnikof posted:

What's the best article yall got to convince cjs that wildcards are bad?
i'm pretty sure let's encrypt had one, but, lol

using a wildcard is like using one ssh keypair for everything. lots of people do it, it's really convenient, but if someone fucks up and uploads your private key to github or your dropbox gets hacked or whatever, all your poo poo got wrecked. in the event a wildcard gets compromised it's also real easy to forget which servers it was applied to because there's no handy san field to tell you.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 20, 2017

Angela Merkle Tree
Jan 4, 2012

the definition of open: "mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"
College Slice
unfixed 2-year-old remote code execution bug in half-life 1 demo playback used to speedrun game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE_l_aZNzfo

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/halflife/issues/1654

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/resentfultweet/status/905237090253856771

• Locked thread