Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Well the first storyline of ASM post-Secret Wars ended with Peter shoving Zodiac through some portal to the future so I guess this is when he comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God drat those ASM covers are gorgeous.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

TwoPair posted:

Well the first storyline of ASM post-Secret Wars ended with Peter shoving Zodiac through some portal to the future so I guess this is when he comes out.

Makes sense, I couldn't afford to keep reading after that, but zodiac discovered 1 year of top secret information about hydra and Osborne and all kinds of things. So spiders sent him 1 year into the future so that knowledge would be useless.

Except having complete knowledge of the most important events in the past year is pretty darn major. He should be aware of all secrets involving civil war 2 and secret empire and legacy/generations.

Edit: that weird m logo is the zodiac for...Scorpio?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If anyone at Marvel says a book is important these days they are absolutely full of poo poo.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Billzasilver posted:

Makes sense, I couldn't afford to keep reading after that, but zodiac discovered 1 year of top secret information about hydra and Osborne and all kinds of things. So spiders sent him 1 year into the future so that knowledge would be useless.

Except having complete knowledge of the most important events in the past year is pretty darn major. He should be aware of all secrets involving civil war 2 and secret empire and legacy/generations.

Edit: that weird m logo is the zodiac for...Scorpio?

That is Scorpio. He sent Scorpio into the future. Scorpio is the head of Zodiac.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

God drat does Mighty Thor have some good art this week.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

wiegieman posted:

God drat does Mighty Thor have some good art this week.

Yeah! I just hope next month’s story has more focus, this one was too scattered to really draw me into whatever plot is occurring.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Are they still on War Thor? :p

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Guardians of the Galaxy was really good this week.
Loved the huge shout out to the past versions of the team/characters.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Synthbuttrange posted:

Are they still on War Thor? :p

No, that's over. She beat him. He does appear in Thor 700, but we've moved on to the next big story.

My theory on what's going to happen to Jane Foster:
She's die fighting Mangog. But, in her sacrifice, she'll wake Thor up to what he lost. It's obvious what it is at this point. Thor was told by Nick Fury that mortals don't need gods. Honestly, that's kind of true. But Jane Foster has been seeing things in a different way. Thor Odinson is different. He is a god who truly cares for mankind and has a connection to them, unlike all of the rest of Asgard. He drinks with them, parties with them, and will answer their prayers at a moments notice because its the right thing to do. Mortals don't need gods, but Thor is different: he's not a god, he's a hero. And mankind needs heroes.

That's why Jane is worthy: she knew that mankind needs a hero like Thor and was willing to slowly die if it meant keeping that mantle. We see her living this difference between Thor and the other gods during the competition of gods wit the Shi'ar: as they play games with mortals for fun, she always rushes in to help those she can, even if it meant her loss and thus her doom.

I think she will die fighting Mangog, but her death will make Thor realize this and be able to wield the hammer again. But, since she died in battle, she goes to Valhalla and becomes the new Valkyrie and, going forward, the two share the Might Thor comic as equal partners.

Alternate theory: since we see mjolnir destroyed on the cover of #702 and #700 made it clear a sliver of mjolnir is enough to keep her transformed. Mjolnir is destroyed in the battle, but the battle still teaches Thor that lesson. Mjolnir is reforged, but a sliver of it is stuck in Jane Foster, which allows her to transform like Throg can. Maybe stuck permenatly that way: thus it being the "Death of Jane Foster."

Then again, they're also doing a "Death of Jen Walker" story and I doubt they're killing of She-Hulk so it might just be all bluff and no bite.

It's obvious from the Avengers Primer that Thor is likely coming back and his mjolnir looks different so I actually weigh the second more likely, but comics and fiction as a whole do love killing off woman to grow a man's story, sadly. At least going out in a blaze of glory would make it less of a sting to fans, especially if she returns immediately.

Professor Dog
Jul 25, 2007
I'm about to jump into the jane foster thor series, where is the best place to start? Also, does it explain why she speaks Shakesperian?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Professor Dog posted:

I'm about to jump into the jane foster thor series, where is the best place to start? Also, does it explain why she speaks Shakesperian?

Aaron's Thor that starts with The God Killer if you're willing to read 18ish issues before she becomes Thor, otherwise either of the most recent Thor #1s are decent jumping on points.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's definitely worth going right back to Thor: God of Thunder (2012). Pretty much everything carries over when the Thors are swapped. The most recent 50+ page issue pays off stuff from Aaron's male Thor series.
I think you'd be missing out if you skipped it.

edit: Jason Aaron's three series are in this order: Thor: God of Thunder (2012), Thor (2014) and The Mighty Thor (2015-current)

There was also his crossover event 'Original Sin' between the first two series where male-Thor became unworthy, the miniseries 'Secret Wars: Thors' about a police force of Thors during the 'Secret Wars' event (which is basically out of continuity, so doesn't really impact the story as a whole,) the miniseries "The Unworthy Thor" starring ex-Thor.
You don't necessarily have to read any of that stuff beyond a description of what happens to boy-Thor in Original Sin, which I'm sure the next Thor series catches you up on anyway.
The important thing in 'Unworthy Thor' is that he teams up with a fun fire-breathing murderous dog.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 19, 2017

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Professor Dog posted:

Read Thor God of Thunder #12 if you get the chance. Otherwise, just start with the first volume of the Jane Foster series "The Goddess of Thunder" She gets the Asgard speak when transformed, but it's mostly to help contrast her outward appearance of her Thor persona, with the inner thoughts of her real self. They really play up the secret identity aspect, especially early on.

EDIT: Definitely read Thor God of Thunder, but follow my post if you're only interested in Jane.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 19, 2017

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Jane Foster is so, so good as Thor. More to the point Jason Aaron is a great storyteller that's great at telling stories about her. Some of the Mighty Thor stuff is all-time greats that people will still be looking back on fondly years from now, I think.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Not to poo-poo the excellent Jane-Thor comics, but I think the most fun and bombastic stuff with the best art still happened in Thor:GOT.

And most importantly to the current comic, the villains plots all started in the first series.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Android Blues posted:

Jane Foster is so, so good as Thor. More to the point Jason Aaron is a great storyteller that's great at telling stories about her. Some of the Mighty Thor stuff is all-time greats that people will still be looking back on fondly years from now, I think.

She is awesome but she was not the best Thor in this weeks issue. It's not Odionson either

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Thor 700 was really good. Check it out even if you haven't read any of Aaron's Thor stuff. They tell a lot of stories in there, and give you a good idea of who all the Thors' are. Past, present, and future.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jason Aaron is on his way to unseating Walt Simonson as the best Thor writer ever in my humble opinion.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

So... regular Logan is back apparently. Has there been any word on when his next appearance after Legacy #1 will be? I'd like to see his story and what they're going to do with him, OML, Laura, and Jimmy Hudson all in universe.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
When an enemy from homeworld come and attacks Steven, they will fuse into an eight armed giant woman

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Jason Aaron is on his way to unseating Walt Simonson as the best Thor writer ever in my humble opinion.

His stories are both fun superhero romps and rich mythology-building setting work. It's just so good. Almost everything works.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I went to my comic book store yesterday for the first time in several months. (They emailed me that they were going to close out my sub. Hadn't picked it up in a while because I'm unemployed.) I saw the lenticular covers, and I understand the complaints. They were... really bad. It's a shame, I like the idea, but the execution is just so terrible. You can't make out any of the two designs, they are just bleeding into each other.

The Marvel Legacy special lenticular cover is actually pretty cool, because it is the same design, it just flows from color to lineart. It makes for a really nice effect.

My store had a lot of them in stock. They are a large store, the most popular one in the area, but I was told that most people are buying the regular issues. They are having a deal where if you buy the lenticular, you can get the regular for half off.

And to add to the current conversation, I think Jason Aaron is the only long-term run that Marvel has right now that is really great. Then again, I think the only comparable run is Slott's ASM, which I don't like.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is it even fair that Slott gets all the credit, good or bad, for ASM? I've run across several issues that are "plotted" by Slott but actually written by Gage.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

She is awesome but she was not the best Thor in this weeks issue. It's not Odionson either

Well, Throg is always gonna be the best Thor in a story.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

Well, Throg is always gonna be the best Thor in a story.

I have to disagree.

FORSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Lobok posted:

Is it even fair that Slott gets all the credit, good or bad, for ASM? I've run across several issues that are "plotted" by Slott but actually written by Gage.

When that happens, Gage is writing dialogue for Slott's story, due to Slott sometimes riding the ragged edge of his deadlines. Gage is, at best, a hired hand, although I've found Slott plus Gage to be a big improvement most of the time over Slott by himself. The primary driver of the story is thus still Slott.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wanderer posted:

When that happens, Gage is writing dialogue for Slott's story, due to Slott sometimes riding the ragged edge of his deadlines. Gage is, at best, a hired hand, although I've found Slott plus Gage to be a big improvement most of the time over Slott by himself. The primary driver of the story is thus still Slott.

Ah, ok. Never been quite clear on when plotting means "oh uh in this issue he fights Morbius I guess - run with that" or if it's everything but filling in speech bubbles.

I've also noticed the Gage issues are better. Spider-Man's dialogue in particular.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Revol posted:

I went to my comic book store yesterday for the first time in several months. (They emailed me that they were going to close out my sub. Hadn't picked it up in a while because I'm unemployed.) I saw the lenticular covers, and I understand the complaints. They were... really bad. It's a shame, I like the idea, but the execution is just so terrible. You can't make out any of the two designs, they are just bleeding into each other.

The Marvel Legacy special lenticular cover is actually pretty cool, because it is the same design, it just flows from color to lineart. It makes for a really nice effect.

My store had a lot of them in stock. They are a large store, the most popular one in the area, but I was told that most people are buying the regular issues. They are having a deal where if you buy the lenticular, you can get the regular for half off.

And to add to the current conversation, I think Jason Aaron is the only long-term run that Marvel has right now that is really great. Then again, I think the only comparable run is Slott's ASM, which I don't like.

G. Wilson on Ms. Marvel is hitting it out of the park, imho, on her run.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Squirrel form has gotta be close too right? That started in what like 2012 or 13?

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Pretty sure Duggan's Deadpool run started at the same time as Aaron's Thor.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Zoro posted:

G. Wilson on Ms. Marvel is hitting it out of the park, imho, on her run.

Wilson seems to be the only person that can really write Kamala as anything but overbearing. I don’t hate her in Champions or Secret Warriors but it’s definitely not as good.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Anime_Otaku posted:

Wilson seems to be the only person that can really write Kamala as anything but overbearing. I don’t hate her in Champions or Secret Warriors but it’s definitely not as good.

Champions even has her call out, "ugh, you're not making me fall into the role of boring nag just because I'm a girl!" but it still kinda manages to make her do it. Champions isn't great. And it's ludicrously, ridiculously slowly paced.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That seems to be the main problem with Champions.

"Oh, we're not going to be like those other comics, and do things different"

*does everything the same anyway*

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think the main problem with Champions is that Mark Waid ran out of things to say about teenaged super-heroes 20 years ago.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I didn't know about this. Makes the janethor storyline a little more awkward lol

https://twitter.com/KingImpulse/status/921136604126859266

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just finished Incredible Hercules, and I take back my defense of Abnett's Hercules. This character is simply too much fun for the Abnett approach.

Also, I got to that after reading Planet Hulk in preparation for Thor: Ragnarok, and ended up reading that and World War Hulk. I want to see more of No-Name the Brood.

But, now I must get back on track with reading Simonson's Thor.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

I just finished Incredible Hercules, and I take back my defense of Abnett's Hercules. This character is simply too much fun for the Abnett approach.

Also, I got to that after reading Planet Hulk in preparation for Thor: Ragnarok, and ended up reading that and World War Hulk. I want to see more of No-Name the Brood.

When you read a Pak/Van Lente Herc you realize you really can't do the character any other way. It's what makes Herc Herc.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

I didn't know about this. Makes the janethor storyline a little more awkward lol

https://twitter.com/KingImpulse/status/921136604126859266

Eh, something that someone can bring up down the road if they want, otherwise it'll just be ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Roth posted:

I keep expecting them to do a Delphyne story in Hulk but Marvel writers seem determined to ignore Incredible Herc forever.

• Locked thread