Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

Yeah, there was a 1 hour stream the other day where they show the updated Kerellian being played badly and hitting things with a spear and repeater crossbow. They talk some about it then.

This was honestly some of the most boring combat I've ever seen in Vermintide. Awful, awful example for them to show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
just as a point of fact on the whole slayer thing:

the slayer oath has never been put to paper in any real detail so there's actually nothing saying that a slayer bardin couldn't use a handgun, outside of precedent in the tabletop.

part of dwarf society is that you can't commit suicide and you can't just throw a fight, you always have to fight to your utmost if you're going to die with honor and redeem whatever shame caused you to take the oath. there's nothing precluding ranged weaponry in that - the main reason a slayer wouldn't is because they don't really want to keep living and using ranged weaponry flexibly increases their survivability. bardin's already a strange dwarf, though, so :shrug:. alternately, the ranged options available to slayer bardin could have a noticeably improvised feel while still accomplishing the critical functions. thrown rocks, if nothing else, could still bowl a gutter runner or pack master rear end over teakettle.

also, for what it's worth, dwarves take the slayer oath for reasons that seem pretty silly to humans all the time. one example given in a white dwarf issue was a dwarven merchant leaving a minor hold to go trade at karaz-a-karak and came back to find that the greenskins had sacked the place and killed his brother and business partner.

the fact that he had failed to protect his kin was so shameful to him that he saw no other way to go on without taking the slayer oath. nevermind the following:

1) he wasn't a soldier, and it wasn't his responsibility to defend the hold in the first place
2) he wasn't home, so he had no way of knowing what was going on
3) he had left in a legitimate bid to look after his family like a good dwarf should
4) he didn't have any formal military training, so even if he had been around it wouldn't have done any good

nope that's grounds for a loving suicide battle oath.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 19, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I just remembered about that group of Slayer pirates who use flintlocks and such and now I feel dumb.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i guess it remains to be seen just how far the class choice will influence gameplay for a character, because if they bar the slayer option from using ranged weaponry i can only assume something in their kit will back that up

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Did they say if there are more than one ability for each class or is it just the one? Only thing I've seen on the game is the trailer and the Totalbiscuit video.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
An active skill and a passive skill. At least 1 each.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Also worth noting in the stream someone asked if weapons were sharable between the careers for a given character. The response was generally yes, but not every career uses every weapons. Example given, a shield is not something a slayer would ever use. The implied corollary being that ranger and iron breaker Bardin could both be able to share the same shield/one hander combo.

It occurred to me part of the reason they went the career route for existing characters rather than just adding new characters is the nightmare of writing and recording dialog for 15 people in different permutations of 4 as compared to 5.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I dont know posted:

Also worth noting in the stream someone asked if weapons were sharable between the careers for a given character. The response was generally yes, but not every career uses every weapons. Example given, a shield is not something a slayer would ever use. The implied corollary being that ranger and iron breaker Bardin could both be able to share the same shield/one hander combo.

It occurred to me part of the reason they went the career route for existing characters rather than just adding new characters is the nightmare of writing and recording dialog for 15 people in different permutations of 4 as compared to 5.

Also it seems like they got all the VAs back again.

Which is critical because Vermintide's VAs rule.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Night10194 posted:

Also it seems like they got all the VAs back again.

Which is critical because Vermintide's VAs rule.

Bardin getting salty as a steam forum user whenever the other party members call him out on his drinking will never not be funny.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I dont know posted:

Ah, OK, that's a good compromise. I hope Ironbreaker Bardin can throw blasting charges...

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I dont know posted:

I hope that they recycle most of the "standard" dialogue from the rat game just so they can focus on actually getting a decent amount of dialogue for each career, honestly.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
Slayer bardin used a little gun when they were fighting in one of the streams I watched (official or totalbiscuit.) not at computer til late today but I'll hunt it down and post it later. I think it was when they were fighting the chaos spawn or chaos warriors. It looked like a grudgeraker.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Mahasamatman posted:

Slayer bardin used a little gun when they were fighting in one of the streams I watched (official or totalbiscuit.) not at computer til late today but I'll hunt it down and post it later. I think it was when they were fighting the chaos spawn or chaos warriors. It looked like a grudgeraker.

They said that was a placeholder. In the final game he's just going lug this thing around

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Coolguye posted:

lol this is only funny because you actually believe it

I think a game can be fun in different ways and I won't be automatically upset when things change in the next game.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
bardin gets knocked back and pulls out a grudgeraker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH_bRy7AEho&t=808s

doomdwarf is back baby

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Enjoy posted:

I think a game can be fun in different ways and I won't be automatically upset when things change in the next game.

that is not what you said before

you said a specific change that would be very dumb was in fact good

just own your bad opinions brah

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Mordja posted:

Ah, OK, that's a good compromise. I hope Ironbreaker Bardin can throw blasting charges...

I just want him to get a Trollhammer Torpedo.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

White Coke posted:

I just want him to get a Trollhammer Torpedo.

Or an Irondrake gun. Hose those rats down with a fantasy flamethrower.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Coolguye posted:

that is not what you said before

you said a specific change that would be very dumb was in fact good

just own your bad opinions brah

I can see how it could be good if they do it right. I don't think change is automatically bad.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Enjoy posted:

I can see how it could be good if they do it right. I don't think change is automatically bad.

i don't believe you have actually played this game

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Coolguye posted:

i don't believe you have actually played this game

Everyone is entitled to their beliefs I guess

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

so apparently there's a beta patch going around?

quote:

Balance

Haste: Changed, now causes reloads not to consume ammo for the duration instead of shots not consuming ammo.
Quick Foot: Reduced movement speed bonus from 4/8/12% to 4/6/8%
Grenadier: Reduced proc chance from 20/30/40% to 20/25/30%
Hawkeye: Reduced multiplier bonus from +2 to +1

Trueflight Bow: Reduced max ammo count from 24 to 15
Trueflight Bow: Reduced headshot multiplier from 4 to 3

Longbow: Increased exotic charged shot damage versus unarmored from 8 to 10
Longbow: Reduced ammo count from 54 to 36
Longbow: Reduced max penetrations from 3 to 2

Dual Wield Daggers: Increased exotic unarmored damage from 3 to 3.5

Handgun: Reduced reload speed from 2.5 to 2 seconds
Handgun: Increased damage versus resistant to 26/31/36

Flaming Sword: Increased light stab dot damage
Flaming Sword: Increased heavy attack dot damage

Falchion: Slightly reduced attack speed
Falchion: Reduced attack range by 20%

Ratling Gunner: Increased health to match Stormvermin
Ratling Gunner: Increased stagger resistance while firing gun

lotta nerfs, also ppl were saying that killing blow needs to do damage now?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
They undid some of those things but Killing Blow's overall usefulness remains neutered.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
re: slayers using ranged weapons - there's nothing specifically disallowing it considering there's these guys who use a brace of pistols like saltzpyre does

most slayers just prefer fighting up close because it has a higher chance of leading to a glorious death

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Looks mostly good to me, but nerfing anything about the longbow is baffling. I never, ever used that thing except to try it after patches and see it was still outclassed.

Handgun buff is also good--right now it does 1 less damage than needed to bodyshot a packmaster on cataclysm which is pretty tragic, so they just added 1 damage to get it there. And the reload speed buff will probably help with the gun being kind of obnoxious to use after they made it prevent switching weapons for a moment after shooting.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

oh okay here's the updated notes

quote:

Explosive Ordinance: Reduced radius decrease from 40/50/60% to 20/30/40%
Berserking: Attacks are now uninterruptible for buff duration
Killing Blow: Now requires the attack to deal damage to the target to trigger

Trueflight Longbow: Increased ammo capacity from 15 to 20

Longbow: Increased ammo capacity from 36 to 46
Longbow: Increased max penetrations of light shot from 1 to 2
Longbow: Increased max penetrations of charged shot from 2 to 3

Shortbow: Increased max penetrations of charged shot from 1 to 2

Dual Wield Daggers: Added 2.5x Headshot multiplier to heavy attack

Falchion: Reverted attack speed to previous levels

Pick: Increased attack range of light attack and heavy attacks
Pick: Increased attack speed of light attacks slightly
Pick: Reduced charge time needed to trigger super heavy charge attack

2h Axe: Increased attack speed of light attacks
2h Axe: Increased attack range of light and heavy attacks

2h Hammer: Increased attack range of light attacks

2h Sword: Increased attack range of light and heavy attacks

Glaive: Increased attack range of heavy attacks

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Those pick buffs :getin:

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
So are these changes to Vermintide 1 or some beta version of 2?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

they're in beta for the last (probably) big vermintide 1 patch

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Niiiiice. My friends and I haven't started playing in earnest yet, due to schedualing, so hopefully this hits by the time we can all play.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Pop in on the goon vermitide discord when you start, I'm sure you can find someone to help show you the ropes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Slayer pirates were absolutely a thing in WHFB, and they were festooned with pistols.

The Slayer Oath doesn't explicitly prohibit weapons, but you're not likely to meet a glorious end at long range.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
The only thing stopping Bardin the Slayer from using ranged weapons, is a random easily deletable line on there website. I'm more concerned with all this Nurgle in my rat game. Too soon to dismiss it outright and we all agree, Fatshark works hard to make their rat games good. Bugs can be patched, but game mechanics are a one way street.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

how many extra copies of an orange weapon do people keep for different trait setups usually?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

StashAugustine posted:

how many extra copies of an orange weapon do people keep for different trait setups usually?

Really varies by weapon - how much I play it really. I have one orange of most weapons, but I have 5 braces of pistols because I can't get enough pistols apparently.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

I... is this a thing?

Am I a bad?

One orange of each weapon type is usually all I'm aiming for. I'll reroll for traits I want but I can't imagine wanting a bunch of different trait setups for the same weapon.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it's a play style thing. there are multiple perfectly legitimate trait loadouts for various weapons, and sometimes you want something a little different to go with a different team setup. it's a very advanced thing though, what you should be worrying about 95% of the time you're playing this game is getting the oranges with a trait setup you like the first time. and another 4% of the time beyond that getting used to those traits so you feel comfortable and competent with your gear. the last 1% of the time you can worry about variant copies.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
RIP killing blow and trueflight. Red sword and dagger plus a hail of doom trueflight spam was the only way I could stomach playing *spits* Kerillian. It was cool while it lasted I guess.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Willie Tomg posted:

RIP killing blow and trueflight. Red sword and dagger plus a hail of doom trueflight spam was the only way I could stomach playing *spits* Kerillian. It was cool while it lasted I guess.

I am guilty of game treason because I really like Kerillian's long bow and I use it with the single sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Nothing but loving Lumber-Foots all up in here.

• Locked thread