Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Just because doing the right thing is difficult and may entail a degree of personal risk, doesn't justify abdicating your responsibility to do the right thing. Chelsea Manning had plenty of opportunity to contact journalists, explain what she had, and ensure that the material would be curated. That's not what she wanted to do, and her actions should be judged with that understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kaal posted:

Just because doing the right thing is difficult and may entail a degree of personal risk, doesn't justify abdicating your responsibility to do the right thing. Chelsea Manning had plenty of opportunity to contact journalists, explain what she had, and ensure that the material would be curated. That's not what she wanted to do, and her actions should be judged with that understanding.

Except she did that. And got brushed off by wapo and nyt.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Also, doing something in a sub-optimal way (especially when the person involved is as young as she was) isn't necessarily worthy of condemnation, especially when the person in question has already been punished (in this case to an absurdly excessive extent).

In hindsight her leaks seem to have been a net positive. As others have mentioned, there isn't really any proof that they caused any harm, and the good they caused is pretty easy to identify. Discussing how she could have done things better is reasonable, but not in the context of blanket condemnation of both her actions and her as a person.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
If Manning can use Tor to hang in Wikileaks chat and leak files to Wikileaks while deployed, why couldnt she use Tor to contact journalists and leak files to them while deployed? Why all the nonsense running to payphones? Why the urgency to leak the first time before she returned to duty?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Trabisnikof posted:

Except she did that. And got brushed off by wapo and nyt.

No she did not do that. WaPo and NYT told her that they'd have to actually speak with her and look over the files before guaranteeing her a story. That is a totally reasonable request, and it is not a brush-off at all. She balked because she wanted to dump all the files and be sure that they'd all get released without any further involvement on her part. So she found an organization that would be just as cavalier and irresponsible with other people's lives as she was.

JeffersonClay posted:

If Manning can use Tor to hang in Wikileaks chat and leak files to Wikileaks while deployed, why couldnt she use Tor to contact journalists and leak files to them while deployed? Why all the nonsense running to payphones? Why the urgency to leak the first time before she returned to duty?

I expect that she learned about Tor and basic internet security by interacting with the Wikileaks folks. She certainly could have contacted WaPo and the NYT anonymously without performing movie-style shenanigans, but my guess is that she wouldn't have known how until she was already in contact with Assange.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 20, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Kaal posted:

No she did not do that. WaPo and NYT told her that they'd have to actually speak with her and look over the files before guaranteeing her a story. That is a totally reasonable request, and it is not a brush-off at all. She balked because she wanted to dump all the files and be sure that they'd all get released without any further involvement on her part. So she found an organization that would be just as cavalier and irresponsible with other people's lives as she was.

i wonder why she wanted to dump the files and get away. it's not like her whole life could've been destroyed/ended if she was exposed :rolleyes:

Condiv fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 20, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

Because journalists were and still are very bad at doing that. See Snowden having to walk through his reporters on exactly how to do operational security.

Kaal posted:

The NYTs didn't even reply to her and Wapo wouldn't commit to publishing information at all, which it is understandable that if you're going to leak information you want to give it to an organization that will publish it.

And you're still ignoring she was only in the US for a limited time before she had to return to deployment. She didn't have time to cultivate relationships in person with reporters like Deep Throat.

Do you think it would have been better for the world if Manning had never leaked at all?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Condiv posted:

i wonder why she wanted to dump the files and get away. it's not like her whole life could've been destroyed if she was exposed :rolleyes:

Ironically she probably would have been a lot less likely to be exposed if she had used an actual journalist, because it was Wikileak's lack of document vetting that led directly to her arrest.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kaal posted:

Ironically she probably would have been a lot less likely to be exposed if she had used an actual journalist, because it was Wikileak's lack of document vetting that led directly to her arrest.

lol you're so full of poo poo. Manning reached out to Lamo herself directly. Wikileaks can't be blamed for that, but I'm sure you'll try.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Trabisnikof posted:

The NYTs didn't even reply to her and Wapo wouldn't commit to publishing information at all, which it is understandable that if you're going to leak information you want to give it to an organization that will publish it. And you're still ignoring she was only in the US for a limited time before she had to return to deployment. She didn't have time to cultivate relationships in person with reporters like Deep Throat.

She left a voicemail with the NYT public desk, and was frustrated that WaPo wasn't going to instantly commit to publishing information that it had never seen or had an opportunity to vet. That's not due diligence in the slightest. Meanwhile, she'd apparently been chatting with Wikileaks folks on IRC for months. She had ample opportunity to reach out to responsible journalists, both before she had leave, and throughout her leave and she didn't. It seems pretty clear that what she wanted to do was provide her Wikileaks friends with a big scoop, and she didn't really care that much who she hurt in the process.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kaal posted:

She left a voicemail with the NYT public desk, and was frustrated that WaPo wasn't going to instantly commit to publishing information that it had never seen or had an opportunity to vet. That's not due diligence in the slightest. Meanwhile, she'd apparently been chatting with Wikileaks folks on IRC for months. She had ample opportunity to reach out to responsible journalists, both before she had leave, and throughout her leave and she didn't. It seems pretty clear that what she wanted to do was provide her Wikileaks friends with a big scoop, and she didn't really care that much who she hurt in the process.

Do you think it would have been better for the world if Manning had never leaked at all rather than leak to wikileaks?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
What is happening here is that a small handful of imperial bootlickers are trying to deflect from the fact that a very brave person felt morally sickened by what she saw happening and decided to attempt to inform the public, which by and large agreed that it was sick, vile conduct unbecoming of the United States. This brave person was then put into a cell and tortured for over half a decade by a supposedly very liberal president. Since there was no real harm caused from this leak(http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/338621-no-real-harm-caused-by-chelsea-manning-leaks-report) and no real way to defend it morally, they instead play endless "what if?" games, question motives to degenerate the messenger, and muddy up the water with distortions.

Don't fall for it.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Trabisnikof posted:

Do you think it would have been better for the world if Manning had never leaked at all rather than leak to wikileaks?

I think it would have certainly been better for the world if Manning had used a real journalist with real ethical principles rather than just throwing it all out there and not caring what happened. The idea that the end justifies the means here is pretty bullshit.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Kaal posted:

how long should she have kept sensitive info like that on her person and kept herself at risk of being discovered? also, who did she hurt?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Condiv posted:

also, who did she hurt?

kaal, by not going through the proper channels

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Trabisnikof posted:

lol you're so full of poo poo. Manning reached out to Lamo herself directly. Wikileaks can't be blamed for that, but I'm sure you'll try.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about, since Lamo has specifically said that it was his concern about Wikileaks as an organization, and specifically their habit of dumping unvetted sensitive material, that made him decide to turn Manning in.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kaal posted:

The military abdicated their responsibility to do the right thing and they get a free pass on that, so why doesn't Manning get that same pass? She was a soldier just like the war criminals who got off consequences-free. Hell, cops get a free pass on shooting innocent people all the time because (they claimed) doing the right thing was difficult and involved some personal risk. Why are information leaks being held to a higher standard than literal murder?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, if I was her, I would certainly be paranoid, that isn't a sign of mental illness but a reaction to circumstance.

Personally, it sounded like she wanted to at least give the standard press a shot but quickly got cold feet and went back to probably her strong plan B which was WikiLeaks, who she knew would absolutely get it out there.

Btw, I still find WikiLeaks useful even if they have an obvious axe to grind. I am for all the information I can get. (I personally also couldn't really care about Assange one way or another.)

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 20, 2017

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Kaal? yronic heroism? Trabisnikof? Chelsea Manning had a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for the way the leaks were published, and you curse Manning. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what she knew. That handing the documents over to Wikileaks, while not 100% optimal, probably saved lives. And her actions, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saved lives. You don’t want to acknowledge the role of Wikileaks because deep down in places you don’t talk about at parties, you want her leaking those documents, you need her to leak those documents. Chelsea Manning uses words like truth, diligence, infosec. She uses these words as the backbone of a life spent exposing the powerful. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain Chelsea Manning to someone who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very knowledge that she provided, and then questions the manner in which she provided it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a laptop and get to work. Either way, I don’t give a drat what you think you are entitled to.

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 20, 2017

Kaal
May 22, 2002

I mean it's not really shocking that people here are still dragging their heels about this. These threads used to be absolutely filled with folks shilling for Assange because they loved his anti-authority politics. Now that public sentiment on Wikileaks has shifted against him they mostly limit themselves to Manning. But the fundamental facts remain here, that what they did was hugely irresponsible, that Manning and Assange did it for pretty juvenile reasons, and that the ultimate impact is unknowable because of the ongoing war but certainly put a lot of innocent people at risk (people that a lot of Wikileaks supporters ignore and treat as collaborators). And at the end of the day, the ideas that the ends justify the means here, or that the people in these documents deserve collective punishment, or that vigilante populism is preferable to responsible journalism, are absolutely incompatible with principled liberalism.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Kaal posted:

absolutely incompatible with principled liberalism
I don't give a gently caress what liberals think is principled.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Kaal posted:

I mean it's not really shocking that people here are still dragging their heels about this. These threads used to be absolutely filled with folks shilling for Assange because they loved his anti-authority politics. Now that public sentiment on Wikileaks has shifted against him they mostly limit themselves to Manning. But the fundamental facts remain here, that what they did was hugely irresponsible, that Manning and Assange did it for pretty juvenile reasons, and that the ultimate impact is unknowable because of the ongoing war but certainly put a lot of innocent people at risk (people that a lot of Wikileaks supporters ignore and treat as collaborators). And at the end of the day, the ideas that the ends justify the means here, or that the people in these documents deserve collective punishment, or that vigilante populism is preferable to responsible journalism, are absolutely incompatible with principled liberalism.

reporting on war crimes and atrocities: juvenile

posting on the internet about how heroes are poo poo because they aren't perfect: the pinnacle of maturity and responsibility

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
liberalism is garbage anyways so good

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Pages and pages of "well I agree with the principle of the thing but you idiot degenerates are doing it wrong!" was an old hat on the newsgroups, 25 years ago.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

NewForumSoftware posted:

liberalism is garbage anyways so good

I forget how quickly this forum parrots "ironic" conservative talking points.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Principled liberalism: antifa are just as bad as the fascists.

Not an ideology I want to draw examples from: try again.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Kilroy posted:

Kaal? yronic heroism? Trabisnikof? Chelsea Manning had a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for the way the leaks were published, and you curse Manning. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what she knew. That handing the documents over to Wikileaks, while not 100% optimal, probably saved lives. And her actions, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saved lives. You don’t want to acknowledge the role of Wikileaks because deep down in places you don’t talk about at parties, you want her leaking those documents, you need her to leak those documents. Chelsea Manning uses words like truth, diligence, infosec. She uses these words as the backbone of a life spent exposing the powerful. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain Chelsea Manning to someone who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very knowledge that she provided, and then questions the manner in which she provided it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a laptop and get to work. Either way, I don’t give a drat what you think you are entitled to.

Aaron Sorkin is a liberal :ssh:

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Kaal posted:

i love how american liberals literally cannot envision a world with more than two ideologies, good and bad

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

yronic heroism posted:

Well by this logic any kind of welfare state can be framed as pointless because "the rich will just steal it back."

welcome to the communist party

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Liberals and Leftists just aren't on the same side, especially when it comes to the US government/American nationalism.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Kaal posted:

Liberalism is unironically garbage bullshit and should be consigned to the ash heap of history.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

yronic heroism posted:

Aaron Sorkin is a liberal :ssh:

A Few Good Men is also the only thing he's been involved in that's still actually pretty good as a work of art, sorry bro but West Wing is garbage.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Leftism: We're defined as being self-hating liberals. This is a totally new and different idea than all the other "reinventions" of American liberal politics, trust me.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
two party system: stockholm edition

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kilroy posted:

You need to reread my posts on the topic buddy. We agree greatly on this topic.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Kaal posted:

Leftism: We're defined as being self-hating liberals. This is a totally new and different idea than all the other "reinventions" of American liberal politics, trust me.

Ah, and that ole lib standby: you're fooling yourself if you think the world can be any better, petulant child.

It's honestly a sickness.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

NewForumSoftware posted:

two party system: stockholm edition

third party greens/leftists/progressives/anarchists/communists/socialists/liberals: no trust us it'll work this time

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Kaal posted:

third party greens/leftists/progressives/anarchists/communists/socialists/liberals: no trust us it'll work this time
Liberalism has failed to stop fascism and socialists have a much better track record in that regard, friendo.

Liberal: did I defeat the Nazis while staying true to my principles?

Leftist: did I defeat the loving Nazis or not???

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ah, and that ole lib standby: you're fooling yourself if you think the world can be any better, petulant child.

It's honestly a sickness.

I'm not going to lie, it's a mentality that utterly disgusts me. It's D&D nihilism/alcoholism applied to the entire world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ah, and that ole lib standby: you're fooling yourself if you think the world can be any better, petulant child

More like the idea that people should aspire to more political change than just changing terminology. Wake up.

• Locked thread