Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mad Science posted:

I swear some of the movement skills sometimes count you as standing in every spot along its path while it goes off. My group had a hilarious wipe in o3s ages ago where our rdm accidentally hit his gap closer during book phase and proceeded to kill half the party by dropping double books on them all at once

They absolutely do, though I don't remember which ones are like that (possibly all?). Aetherial Manipulation definitely is/was, same with RDM's Displacement.

e: also it's stupid and incredibly unintuitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Kingtheninja posted:

So which FC on Excalibur is the gooniest one for me to join?

TPT.

https://gfycat.com/EmptyFastHeron

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
That's why I usually don't use the DRG backflip to dodge, but rather use it to jump back into position. It's really dumb that these moves don't let you jump over dead air, though. I wish I could jump over a destroyed panel in ShinEX. The only gap closer that it wouldn't make sense for this to work is the MNK one, I think, and I'd be perfectly willing to turn a blind eye to them running so fast they can run through air if they changed their implementation.

I did O2S as DRG once, and I swear, if you Jump while the yellow "high" petrify markers are in effect at the right time, you get petrified. I'd actually like to hear from other dragoons if that's the case. Does the game actually track how "high" you are as well as how far along you are?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ruta posted:

Does the game actually track how "high" you are

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Don't doxx me bro.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Just jump over the dragon fire

I tried this but the flames reached too high and I died anyway :v:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The tail of this holiday outfit is part of the Werewolf Body instead the of the Werewolf Tail.

Trash tier outfit. Now I can't do my Dangerous Beast cosplay.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

^: super sad its just a reworked moogle outfit and not an actually scary wolf costume.

ruta posted:

Does the game actually track how "high" you are as well as how far along you are?

No, but i do get that worry everytime i use plunge in that fight.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Soga: No longer would I be scorned and alone─nay, I would be rich in “nakama,” as the Hingans say. We too could be nakama!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvNxgHTWIlo

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Archyduke posted:

I think probably the #1 "avoidable but understandable if people mess up" element of it to me is when somebody loses track of one of the double pillars and get unlucky. When they spawn close to him there can be a lot of visual clutter going on and I feel like the fact that I've never died to them is dumb luck.

IIRC his Haircut-esque charge is always east to west though-- granted I'm basing this on a small sample size-- but hopefully that's helpful?

The number 2 thing I've seen is 'oh right, his tankbuster is a cleave.' The Haircut move can be East to West or West to East.

Rascyc posted:

It was really bad the first week but it's been smooth sailing lately in Ivalice.

I suspect Shinryu ex is gonna be like this too. Some people just learn really glacially and those that don't just don't come back. The farms have been getting easier every day. Yesterday I had one where all of the dps killed themselves both in p1 and p3 and we just methodically chain rezzed and cleared. Low dps requirements really helps a lot.

A staggering amount of the playerbase relies too much on guides to actually have the skills (and more importantly temperament) to go into a new fight to really learn it. This week I was honestly surprised when I DF'd Rabanastre to find myself in a group that not only had 0 new people, but also that no one complained when we wiped on a few bosses (once each to the first three.)

Like there was maybe one instance of 'blame this person for wipe' and it was kept pretty much to party chat aside from a few hashtags in alliance.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Man, my experience of Shadynasty was wiping twice to the second boss and having someone start mashing vote abandon on day 1. Thankfully got voted down though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

A staggering amount of the playerbase relies too much on guides to actually have the skills (and more importantly temperament) to go into a new fight to really learn it.
The most hosed up thing is occasionally watching MrHappy vids and realizing how much everybody on this server has internalized that dude's bullshit. Like the way too long MrHappy guide for something will be like "okay this fight has 15 phases" when in reality its 3 mechanics that get combined in different ways and he's covering every possible permutation individually as if it is its own thing. If that's the way you're thinking about fights of course you're never gonna figure anything out on your own.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

MrHappy is bad and limit breaks the sahagin on Leviathan

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

homeless snail posted:

The most hosed up thing is occasionally watching MrHappy vids and realizing how much everybody on this server has internalized that dude's bullshit. Like the way too long MrHappy guide for something will be like "okay this fight has 15 phases" when in reality its 3 mechanics that get combined in different ways and he's covering every possible permutation individually as if it is its own thing. If that's the way you're thinking about fights of course you're never gonna figure anything out on your own.

MrHappy is loving poo poo. Sure the MTQCapture videos tend to be simplistic, but she gets the gist of what you need to do across in fewer than 90000 words.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
just use text guides + an actual live clear video recorded by someone playing your class

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Hot take: MrHappy is garbage.

I don't know why his loving videos float to the top of everything.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Click adds and dodge orange circles and call anything more complex than that "unintuitive bullshit".

Game solved

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Barely any content creators left TBQH and for those who's left, the first to publish is the first to rise and that's mainly his goal as I understand it. I don't find his guides to be quite as offensive as the above posts but his Day 1 ShinEx guide had some errors and questionable strategies. I've seen his video is since corrected but I haven't gone to watch it again to see what's changed.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's only a hot take if your take is controversial, at all

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
mrhappy's videos are the literal ffxiv equivalent of borderline auto-generated news stories where whatever someone's first impression of *x* is gets immortalized as fact

mr happy could probably produce a video that would make randoms wipe to level 6 mobs and be convinced we just don't have the item level to clear them yet

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Go to MTQCapture videos for the puns, stay for the strats.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Has she put out guides for the latest stuff yet? I want to give them a watch even though I've done some of the things already.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I don't have a hot take, I just think it's funny that goons line up to crucify mr happy while constantly praising mtq who doesn't let things like her not clearing a fight stop her from releasing a guide

I don't recommend watching either.

Reiterpallasch posted:

just use text guides + an actual live clear video recorded by someone playing your class

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

My take is less "mrhappy is bad" and more "mrhappy has broken peoples brains"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Velthice posted:

I don't have a hot take, I just think it's funny that goons line up to crucify mr happy while constantly praising mtq who doesn't let things like her not clearing a fight stop her from releasing a guide

I don't recommend watching either.

The fact that she has not cleared them with her own group doesn't really have any bearing on the criticism of Mr. Happy/comparative praise for MTQ.

I think you imagine you're detecting some great hypocrisy here but you didn't really think it all the way through.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's only a hot take if your take is controversial, at all

Fine.

For all the idiot that Larryzaur is, either in actuality or pretended, I would trust one of his guides over MrHappy.

edit: Saw Larry's "Shinryu EX, Kinda" video. Still more informative than your average MrHappy video.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 20, 2017

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Oblivious posted:

The fact that she has not cleared them with her own group doesn't really have any bearing on the criticism of Mr. Happy/comparative praise for MTQ.

I think you imagine you're detecting some great hypocrisy here but you didn't really think it all the way through.

huh?

homeless snail posted:

My take is less "mrhappy is bad" and more "mrhappy has broken peoples brains"

yea I agree

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i'm able to articulate, to a great deal of precision, how to clear a large number of encounters i haven't cleared myself. 'didn't do something personally' doesn't mean you can't collate information and present it in a concise format.

compared to mr happy, whose primary goal seems to be 'immediately create a 10+ minute youtube video, regardless of the accuracy of it's contents'

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
yea but she couldn't do that either last time I checked, which has been a while mind you. back when alex was still hot. maybe she got better, but it isn't really relevant to me now. I'll still say text guides and clear vids are the way to go

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Now that there’s data center wide parties you can join her parties on Sunday/Monday and either be taught the fight or carried through it depending on who shows up.

The static she takes footage from for early guides is crazy good.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Velthice posted:

yea but she couldn't do that either last time I checked, which has been a while mind you. back when alex was still hot. maybe she got better, but it isn't really relevant to me now. I'll still say text guides and clear vids are the way to go

Except text guides suck because you can't really describe the mess some fights turn out to be in a way that people can easily assimilate and clear vids are usually done from the perspective of people who have awful HUD layouts that take up space which could be used to actually see what's going on in a fight.

Different strokes for different folks (because absolutely nothing beats first-hand experience in a fight anyway.)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I exclusively use text guides because I don't like having the visual effects spoiled

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
angered is in the running for world firsts, usually, which i think is actually a little bad when it comes to making guides.

they use extremely precise techniques to steal fractions of a second of dps uptime (because week 1 dps checks are so tight) and eke out every last piece of mitigation available (because nobody has any HP on week 1). trying to execute those tight do-perfect-or-wipe strategies eight weeks and 20 items level higher as a midcore/casual static will quite possibly just get you unnecessarily killed.

extreme example: if i was giving advice to a static entering o4s right now with 340 weapons, i'd straight up tell them to ignore guides and cheese Grand Cross Omega with a healer LB3, and just eat the 3% dps loss.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mechanically understanding a difficult fight is not the same as being able to clear it. It's very possible for someone who doesn't attempt the fight at all to be able to articulate and explain how to finish the fight but they lack the personal coordination to do so or do so easily. Many people in this thread could explain Neo-Exdeath to you in such a way that you could finish it even if they themselves are struggling to clear it with their static.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
clear videos give you extremely critical information that video guides don't, which is cooldown timing. you could gently caress around for 2 lockouts trying to figure out the exact combination of cooldowns that will let you survive both GCO almagest and the off-schedule almagest after that, or you could watch a clear video.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Mechanically understanding a difficult fight is not the same as being able to clear it. It's very possible for someone who doesn't attempt the fight at all to be able to articulate and explain how to finish the fight but they lack the personal coordination to do so or do so easily. Many people in this thread could explain Neo-Exdeath to you in such a way that you could finish it even if they themselves are struggling to clear it with their static.

And even if you didn’t know what a computer was you could do a voice over.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 20, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
here's mistel's extremely complete and totally workable guide to healing o4s:

- Fight starts with almagest. Dump all your cooldowns here because it does a stupid amount of damage and the almagests are nicely spaced out.
- Delta Attack is a normal stack-then-spread mechanic.
- For grand cross alpha, check whether you have allagan field. If so, stack near the back of the party. Otherwise, stack near the front. Color lasers after
- There's weird AOEs that walk across the field, but they're super easy to dodge unless you get That One Pattern. If you do, jump off the side and blame yourself, or God.
- Grand Cross Delta? something something uptime strat. check whether you have beyond death, stand where you have to, do color lasers. Almagest right after.
- the whm will probably rip aggro here and die like 20 times until you convince your paladin to use cover. don't have paladin? don't be silly. who would ever not have a paladin.
- party will need to spread out to four corners for light+dark, but you can just look at whether you have a round or triangle marker to figure out where to go. sprint.
- afk during meteors phase
- Heal the tanks after charybdis. Almagest after.
- Another grand cross alpha.
- Grand Cross Omega! make your other healer do all the mechanics while you and the rest of the party jump off. if they actually survive, they LB3 after.
- Repeat from grand cross delta.
- Die to 12% enrage.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
please subscribe to my twitch.tv stream, my children are starving

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Reiterpallasch posted:

please subscribe to my twitch.tv stream, my children are starving

WELCOME TO THE MISTER HAPPY ARMY

Every 30s, 10 times louder than the rest of the stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Reiterpallasch posted:

extreme example: if i was giving advice to a static entering o4s right now with 340 weapons, i'd straight up tell them to ignore guides and cheese Grand Cross Omega with a healer LB3, and just eat the 3% dps loss.

I hope no one asks you for advice.