Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can someone explain iracing to me? What is the draw over other software that justifies its subscription cost?

The structure and organisation mainly. I know I can log into iracing and probably find a race that won't be full of bizzaro world weirdos who insist that you can in fact win races by hurtling into turn one with total abandon.
Idiocy reigns in rookies and even has a charm, but the general feeling I get is people are paying monthly, they at least pretend to take things seriously most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can someone explain iracing to me? What is the draw over other software that justifies its subscription cost?

Remember the days of TEN? Where you had to pay to play duke3d with others over the internet? Well its like that but for sim racing. And it has a "skill" rating so you are matched with people who should be near your driving ability.

The cars and tracks are all laser scanned too.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Also goons reliably show up for races in it somehow

probably because we're all desperately trying to maximise the value of our expenditure or something

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Proving yet again if you want something to take off, charge a fee for it that most of the sane world considers outrageous.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If someone crashes, gets butthurt and then drives backwards to take everyone out, they actually get banned.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
If I get wiped out in iracing it genuinely surprises me for a few seconds, but say in P Cars 2 my facial expression doesn't change at all, I just load up another multi player meat grinder and go again

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Good (mostly) clean racing against other people, basically. Real time team endurance races, lots of different series/championships to pick from, a good sense of progression with the rating systems, and just lots of people to race against. Since you have to pay (a lot) and there's a very real danger of being banned if you're an rear end in a top hat, there are way fewer assholes. As far as the software itself goes, the interface is a mess and graphically it's beaten by any other current sim, but the driving feels great, cars and tracks are laser scanned, dynamic track stuff is great, VR/triple support is good, etc.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
iracing is still probably the best overall VR racing game for me, I am not sure if it's the ultra rock steady framerate or lack of graphical whistles and bells but it just feels right and has done since the DK1 days

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

The adrenaline rush you get from racing other people in iracing. you just can't get that feeling in another game. Giving your 110 percent racing someone for the lead is a total high.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yep. One of my favorite memories was making a three-wide pass (in the middle) down the front straight of an oval to pick up third place in an Indycar race. This wasn't racing the AI, that you know will hold their predictable lines. I had to trust them, and I assume they had to trust me, that nobody would do anything to screw up and put us all into the wall. Those sort of moments is what makes iRacing fun.

But on the other side of the coin, you've got players that will do all sorts of intentionally or unintentionally stupid things to ruin your race, and it seems to happen more often than you'd like.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Finished up the rig tonight. I managed to put the pedals right in the middle and you guys were right, it is better using your left foot for braking. Nowhere was that more apparent than in pcars, where I started a new career, the kart races are so drat fast you need to left foot brake.

Excuse my messy sim pit

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 23, 2017

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Torabi posted:

i7 920 @ 2.66 Ghz (First generation i processor but I see no reason in upgrading, I run all the games I want just fine)
GTX 770
16 GB Ram

Those are the three most important things at least.
This was a few pages ago but just so you know that processor was well known as a good overclocker so you can get more life out of it yet if you really want to (I got my mates running at 3.8ghz and he's been running it that way for years). The motherboard will also take old 6 core xeons that you can now buy for cheap which is what I did ($60 for an X5660 which I've got running at 4.4ghz).

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

iRacing is really the most fulfilling racing experience all around, but yeah the cost can be extremely prohibitive, especially if you want to race both ovals and road like I do. Also not really worth leaping into iracing until you have a triple monitor or VR setup, as peripheral vision is important for avoiding a decent amount of wrecks or drifting over into somebody who you can't see. It's made me a better driver and now I just play other sims when I'm drunk or want to play bumper cars with the AI.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I also hosed around with my simpit the last two days. After getting the chance to stick my curious nose into the cockpit of a 2014 DTM car over the weekend, I finally moved my pedals higher so the overall position is closer to a prototype car.

I expected it to be unstable, but it actually is rock solid...simply added some rods between the pedal base and the platform. Height can be adjusted within a minute.

tuo fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 18, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I am bad at left foot braking, so I don't do it. I'm sure it would make me a better driver to learn it since most of the stuff I drive uses paddles, but meh.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There's a GT3 Radical in the rF2 GT3 pack (which is out now for the 0 people who give a poo poo about rF2), I forgot they made that thing.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Hello thread, yesterday I spent all my mid 30s family man blow money and ordered a logitech G920 w/ shifter so I'll have another toy to let sit and not use. My short-term goals are to build a simul8r PVC rig for it when I recoup some dollar units, and then see how much I play. A lot easier to justify ~$500 all in (including the simul8r setup) vs $1500 for a fanatec setup for something I may not stick with. This way, if I I actually use the setup a lot I would probably upgrade down the road to nicer pedals/wheel/shifter etc.

I don't play many games these days, but I've always loved racing games. AMS looks cool, I may have to snatch that up sometime. Until then I have Pcars 1 and live for speed. I have a good friend who would probably like to thrash around on it as well, but his house doesn't have the space to dedicate to a sim rig. If nothing else I should be able to have some fun drinking beer and admiring the money I spent on silly things.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Basically same idea as SA. You have to pay, and your account history matters and is permanent, so people actually get punished for driving bumper cars style and they actually change their behavior.

Its by far the best game for multiplayer. I can't bother with real people in other racing games anymore.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Terrific Accident posted:

iRacing is really the most fulfilling racing experience all around, but yeah the cost can be extremely prohibitive, especially if you want to race both ovals and road like I do. Also not really worth leaping into iracing until you have a triple monitor or VR setup, as peripheral vision is important for avoiding a decent amount of wrecks or drifting over into somebody who you can't see. It's made me a better driver and now I just play other sims when I'm drunk or want to play bumper cars with the AI.

Lots of people say you need triples or vr but I disagree, sometimes I don't feel like VR and I only have one monitor, but it feels fine. The virtual mirror is basically cheating, but its allowed so... why not. Trips is better but not mandatory at all.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I resisted iracing for the fees but man, its the best. Wish I'd gotten in sooner. Feels real. Races feel meaningful.

Its an expensive pain in the rear end sometimes though. If you barely miss a race you gotta wait a whole hour for the next, unless you switch leagues.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

dreesemonkey posted:

Hello thread, yesterday I spent all my mid 30s family man blow money and ordered a logitech G920 w/ shifter so I'll have another toy to let sit and not use. My short-term goals are to build a simul8r PVC rig for it when I recoup some dollar units, and then see how much I play. A lot easier to justify ~$500 all in (including the simul8r setup) vs $1500 for a fanatec setup for something I may not stick with. This way, if I I actually use the setup a lot I would probably upgrade down the road to nicer pedals/wheel/shifter etc.

I don't play many games these days, but I've always loved racing games. AMS looks cool, I may have to snatch that up sometime. Until then I have Pcars 1 and live for speed. I have a good friend who would probably like to thrash around on it as well, but his house doesn't have the space to dedicate to a sim rig. If nothing else I should be able to have some fun drinking beer and admiring the money I spent on silly things.

For just a tiny bit more money, you get a much better wheel in the T300. The shifter is much more expensive, though. I never use the drat thing anyway and use paddles (based on the cars I drive).

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Larrymer posted:

For just a tiny bit more money, you get a much better wheel in the T300. The shifter is much more expensive, though. I never use the drat thing anyway and use paddles (based on the cars I drive).

Yea I wanted the shifter, so it's closer to $150 difference according to current amazon prices. Harder to justify a "am I going to like this" purchase at that point. There isn't much of a used market here and what is here, the logitech stuff is as much as buying new so it wasn't worth trying to get used. At least if I don't get into it I should be able to get a decent chunk of money back.

I'm hoping to start with some slow street cars in whatever games I'm playing so the shifter should be a fun novelty for a while anyway.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

dreesemonkey posted:

If you want to feel like a proper nerd without spending much more then grab your phone or tablet and get something like this:
http://www.sensadigit.com/

Works with Assetto Corsa which would be a great sim to get

Oh and this:
http://thecrewchief.org/

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Does anyone know of a similar product to the Playseat Challenge? I live in a tiny apartment and would really love to have a way to play that doesn't hurt my neck and back (like my current folding chair setup does), but the challenge is $350 CAD which is just too much!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I owned one. Do not pay that price for one.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Get a gt omega wheelstand and any chair you want for 100ish euro.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I managed to get a Playseat Evolution for sale at Fry's for like $150, they had a few that didn't sell that went on clearance.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

OhsH posted:

Get a gt omega wheelstand and any chair you want for 100ish euro.

Problem is I don't have a chairs that is both comfortable enough for sim racing and lacks wheels (and folds away, which is really an additional requirement).

I can't have anything permanent or large, I'd need to be able to put it away in my closet after each use. I guess the Challenge is the only product trying to fill that niche.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

If the crewchef app ain't telling you that this isn't why you're here for, you're doing it wrong!

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Brownie posted:

Problem is I don't have a chairs that is both comfortable enough for sim racing and lacks wheels (and folds away, which is really an additional requirement).

I can't have anything permanent or large, I'd need to be able to put it away in my closet after each use. I guess the Challenge is the only product trying to fill that niche.

Gt omega wheelstand and one of them gamer chairs. Youve always wanted an office bucket seat, right?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You can get wheel chalks for an office chair for under $10.

Or be a cheap poo poo and toss down a towel around two wheels so it doesn't roll back when mashing the brake.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I bought "bell glides" to replace the wheels on my chair from a recommendation in this thread. They work great. You can still move the chair around when you want to but incidental movement while you're sitting on it is gone and I can brake hard now without being pushed back. I also locked the back of the chair (I have an aeron chair so there's a million little adjustments) and it feels really good now.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 19, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
80% off Dirt Rally on Steam

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Dirt4 is also on sale, 50% off, is it best to wait? I got other games to keep me entertained until the winter sale.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

GutBomb posted:

I bought "bell glides" to replace the wheels on my chair from a recommendation in this thread. They work great. You can still move the chair around when you want to but incidental movement while your sitting on it is gone and I can brake hard now without being pushed back. I also locked the back of the chair (I have an aeron chair so there's a million little adjustments) and it feels really good now.

I will try this, hopefully it works. Even my existing "office" chair is a piece of poo poo but it'll be a lot more comfortable than the current folding chair setup I have now (which makes my butt go numb and my shoulders incredibly tense after only a few dozen minutes). If this doesn't work I found out Costco carries the Challenge for $260 CAD

Thanks for the advice guys.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How is the multiplayer for assetto corsa on PC these days? Pcars 1 is all but dead, obviously, but that’s the one I have. I’m kinda trying to decide between AC on the PC and GT Sport on the PS4 through the gimx adapter.

Also, anyone use the gimx adapter. Does it work well?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 20, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

80% off Dirt Rally on Steam

Best rally game ever, and one of the best VR games ever. Buy this poo poo if you don't have it yet.

(Unless you're some loser who doesn't like rally racing)

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How is the multiplayer for assetto corsa on PC these days? Pcars 1 is all but dead, obviously, but that’s the one I have. I’m kinda trying to decide between AC on the PC and GT Sport on the PS4 through the gimx adapter.

Also, anyone use the gimx adapter. Does it work well?

AC is still played but there's a thousand fractured communities each playing with different mods.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

AC is still played but there's a thousand fractured communities each playing with different mods.

Hmmm, ok, other than iracing, what’s the best bet for
Multiplayer?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Multiplayer?

I wouldn't know :cheeky:

Probably Project Cars 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Multiplayer?

Right now probably PCars 2, I've had no problem finding populated races even at like 2 AM. GT3s are by far the most popular but I've had some good TC and other miscellaneous races as well.