Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Ungratek posted:

Maryland will always have a problem because its in College Park and nothing they do will ever change that. You're not building consistent success for college sports in the DC suburbs

Correct, especially (I'd even say mostly) football. Basketball has enough of a fan base and is occasionally relevant enough that people pay attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I was impressed by Moos in his intro press conference (plus we got to hear the story about his interview with Leach, which went about like you'd imagine it would). Afterward, in response to a reporter, he said something along the lines of "I don't see the point in firing a coach mid-season" so that answers that.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

So about Maryland's AD situation.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

6 month sabbatical/leave is weird as hell. That must be tied into some form of buyout/severance.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

DJExile posted:

6 month sabbatical/leave is weird as hell. That must be tied into some form of buyout/severance.

His contract runs out then. Baseless speculation is he's going to rehab.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
doug nussmeier still has a job :chloe:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

nachos posted:

doug nussmeier still has a job :chloe:

How can he still collect a paycheck? His offenses have ranked below 100th nationally for the past four seasons.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

LLCoolJD posted:

How can he still collect a paycheck? His offenses have ranked below 100th nationally for the past four seasons.

He's got great gameplans. The players just need to execute him.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

DJExile posted:

Danny Hope had a fantastic mustache.

still does according to Sean Robinson (the guy on the left)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/haynesworthiii/status/921075772923809792

:woop:

Looks like Jimmy took some of that Pilot money and is footing the bill for Butch's buyout.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Looks like Jimmy took some of that Pilot money and is footing the bill for Butch's buyout.

Haynesworth should take some of that $100M he got for loafing in Washington to help as well (that fucker).

Also, I both love and hate Haynesworth as I love and hate Washington - anything that makes Snyder poorer, or less successful is ok in my book.

gently caress, but Haynesworth stomped dude in the face....

Ugh, terrible people everywhere. Good luck w/ your new coach Vawls.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 19, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Joey Freshwater posted:

That's the first good move Haslam has made in football.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

This can only go badly for the Vols honestly imo. I blame myself since they've been trash starting with the year I attended UTK for grad school.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

The Notorious ZSB posted:

This can only go badly for the Vols honestly imo. I blame myself since they've been trash starting with the year I attended UTK for grad school.

you can do the SEC a favor and keep going back to grad school for more degrees.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

you can do the SEC a favor and keep going back to grad school for more degrees.

Seems like the one did enough damage.

At some point I want to earn a PhD, but it certainly won't be from an SEC school. I'm not moving back to that part of the country ever. I do hope to continue my trend of attending schools with orange as a primary color tho.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

At some point I want to earn a PhD, but it certainly won't be from an SEC school. I'm not moving back to that part of the country ever. I do hope to continue my trend of attending schools with orange as a primary color tho.

Trying to figure out what that limits you to.

Clemson, Florida, Oklahoma State, Texas, Illinois, Oregon State, Boise State off the top of my head, oops UF is SEC, just not in exactly the same part of the country.

Oh Syracuse too obviously. So it looks like you should get to know Illinois, Oregon or New York if you want to be in a radically different place (or Idaho, heh).

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Seems like the one did enough damage.

Get your PhD at Bama

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

What year was that? I blame myself, because I moved to Knoxville from Johnson City in 2005. I keep telling my kids (who are now almost adults) about how it use to be.

Sooner or later they got to come out of this right? Or is that what Nebraska fans keep telling themselves?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Butch has the two best Tennessee seasons of the last decade.

Like most programs at that level they've probably just one really good coach away at any given time but they've been down relative to their fanbases expectation for a long time now

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

an adult beverage posted:

Get your PhD at Bama

HERESY

nate fisher posted:

What year was that? I blame myself, because I moved to Knoxville from Johnson City in 2005. I keep telling my kids (who are now almost adults) about how it use to be.

Sooner or later they got to come out of this right? Or is that what Nebraska fans keep telling themselves?

My first semester was fall of '08 (graduated Fall 09). I chose UT over Central Michigan and Miss St programs because I didn't want to be in the frozen north or in an even smaller more bumfucked southern town. Plus UT had almost won the SEC the year prior. I went hoping for more of that and welp. At least I got that Halloween Kiffin game vs OBC in the one off black jerseys.

Personally I think yes, Butch showed you can still recruit at an elite level to the school and its still in a much better location to pull talent than Nebraska (although the relative strength of their divisions might be up for debate both are in the "weaker" of the divisions in their conference), but I do feel like the analogy between the two programs is appropriate. We might just be deluding ourselves like Nebraska fans, but I think our chances are better than theirs at being a consistent conference/national title contender again.

MourningView posted:

Yeah this is true, but when that record still only includes 1 winning record in conference and the others are losing, throw in the missed NY6 bowls because they can't finish and just out athlete some bored Big 10 team it just doesn't really look as impressive to Vols fans as it probably does to those outside the program.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 20, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MourningView posted:

Like most programs at that level they've probably just one really good coach away at any given time but they've been down relative to their fanbases expectation for a long time now

OTOH, Butch is 0-6 vs Will Muschamp

That's insanely bad

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

nate fisher posted:

Remember these days?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50nNnJF4V2w

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

OTOH, Butch is 0-6 vs Will Muschamp

That's insanely bad

The point of that post is not that I think Butch is a great coach

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

nate fisher posted:

Or is that what Nebraska fans keep telling themselves?

I haven't told myself that since the 2012 Big 12 championship, and even that was probably 10 years too late. I'd give Tennessee a much better chance of coming back than Nebraska though, because of... recruiting? I don't know anymore

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Yep watched that game. Still even worse was the 42-17 beat down Nebraska gave Manning on his very last game as a Vol. Glad we finally beat Nebraska in 2016 (of course when it really didn't matter to anyone outside of the fanbase).

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Yep watched that game. Still even worse was the 42-17 beat down Nebraska gave Manning on his very last game as a Vol. Glad we finally beat Nebraska in 2016 (of course when it really didn't matter to anyone outside of the fanbase).

It was a loss for Tennessee, but at the time they were heralded as a top program.

I think it's a race between Florida and Tennessee to snag the next great coach. Until then, both are going to wallow in mediocrity while Georgia cleans up in the SEC East The worst of timelines.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Bielema’s buyout might be way less than everyone originally thought I guess?

I have mixed feelings here since I want him to be fired and shamed, but I don't want another team looking for a coach this offseason.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

If 3 SEC coaches get poo poo canned, I don’t know that all 3 will replace them with any better of a hire. Someone is going to lose

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
The Coaching Carousel is a zero-sum game, the Carousel giveth and the Carousel taketh away.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We’re getting Gruden so I dunno who you other losers are getting. We’re going to the super bowl baby!

Wait what

Crescent_Fresh
Aug 27, 2017

Seagulls took my sister.
They took her.
Oops, wrong thread.

Crescent_Fresh fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 21, 2017

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Grittybeard posted:

Bielema’s buyout might be way less than everyone originally thought I guess?

I have mixed feelings here since I want him to be fired and shamed, but I don't want another team looking for a coach this offseason.

The problem with firing bert is then Jeff Long, the kind of moron that would hire bert in the first place, is going to be hiring again. Fire Jeff Long.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
R/ockytop at full frothing madness over Gruden. I’ve seen everything from :siren:planes are heading for Tampa:siren: to UT has already signed him (5yr 10mil a year)

They’re gonna be so disappointed

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KKKLIP ART posted:

If 3 SEC coaches get poo poo canned, I don’t know that all 3 will replace them with any better of a hire. Someone is going to lose

3 seems kinda probable at this point? The question would be if it's 4 or 5 I'd think.

Butch is gone, Odom should be gone. Bert as noted might be more fireable than people thought. Sumlin has been walking a tightrope of barely keeping his job for a couple of years now. LSU and Florida might want to get rid of their coach but I think both guys survive (I don't think Coach O can be fired unless someone with super deep pockets really hates him). Having noted that there are people who want both of them out, and some of those people are influential. Ole Miss is almost assured to go after someone other than Matt Luke. I feel like UK or Vandy could make a move in any particular year but I'm not well versed in those programs at all.

I count 3 almost guaranteed, another 2 possible to likely. And if everyone goes crazy I could see 6 or 7.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 21, 2017

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

3 seems kinda probable at this point? The question would be if it's 4 or 5 I'd think.

Butch is gone, Odom should be gone. Bert as noted might be more fireable than people thought. Sumlin has been walking a tightrope of barely keeping his job for a couple of years now. LSU and Florida might want to get rid of their coach but I think both guys survive (I don't think Coach O can be fired unless someone with super deep pockets really hates him). Having noted that there are people who want both of them out, and some of those people are influential. Ole Miss is almost assured to go after someone other than Matt Luke. I feel like UK or Vandy could make a move in any particular year but I'm not well versed in those programs at all.

I count 3 almost guaranteed, another 2 possible to likely. And if everyone goes crazy I could see 6 or 7.

Coach O isn’t going anywhere due to his buyout. I could see Butch, Odom, Mac, Bert, and maybe Gus and Sumlin. Of those, I think the Butch Bert and Odom are for sure gone.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KKKLIP ART posted:

Coach O isn’t going anywhere due to his buyout. I could see Butch, Odom, Mac, Bert, and maybe Gus and Sumlin. Of those, I think the Butch Bert and Odom are for sure gone.

I was counting Ole Miss in the three almost assuredly gone, just as one that we already know about. I could see Bert keeping his job, but if he does he'll need a 10 win season and actually being competitive for the SEC West title next year.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Essentially within 2 seasons, literally half the SEC is in the hunt for a coach

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
gently caress all of you i wanna keep pruitt

gently caress off and keep your lovely coaches!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Raku posted:

The monkey paws closes, and Saban turns into a pumpkin with a massive buyout

iospace fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Raku posted:

So one of the things that allegedly happened during the hire of Smart was Saban offering Tucker the DC position, and Smart having Pruitt as #2 if Tucker didn't follow him. I think Pruitt wanted to get out of UGA because he hated the administration.

• Locked thread