Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
if it took them three months to get past halicarnassus, it's going to take then until 4.45 to do grand cross omega honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I managed to get a Thordan EX party that knew the mechanics and got the lanner. :dance:

Feels good improving at that fight. I used to die a lot and now I have it down to a science with only the occasional hiccup.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

- Grand Cross Omega! make your other healer do all the mechanics while you and the rest of the party jump off. if they actually survive, they LB3 after.

Heh.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 20, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ruta posted:

I hope no one asks you for advice.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
what should I do about my gear?

i’m ‘stuck’ at ilvl 327 right now. i’m still using 320 weapon and greaves, and was hoping to skip to 340 in those slots for BIS without wasting tomes on 330 gear that won’t be getting upgraded. i’m working on a 335 weapon, but that still doesn’t help with my greaves (or gloves, which are also 320)

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Actually the way to cheese GCO without allagan field loving you up is to make sure everyone dies to the initial grand cross omega cast itself. Jumping off after the cast will only turbo murder everyone. just don't heal anyone up but the healers after delta attack and you're set. :eng101:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Velthice posted:

I don't have a hot take, I just think it's funny that goons line up to crucify mr happy while constantly praising mtq who doesn't let things like her not clearing a fight stop her from releasing a guide

I don't recommend watching either.

She said to tank the bone dragon north. I don't trust her advice.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Yes Wolfman I have had 'dealings' with beast men before...lets call it that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Yes Wolfman I have had 'dealings' with beast men before...lets call it that.

Are they your nakama?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I watched some Mizztek guides for Omega normal and Lakshmi and Susano Ex and they were good enough that I had an idea of what to expect in those fights. I've gone into everything else pretty much blind. That's my FFXIV youtube experience story.

Okay, thanks.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
EFB

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 20, 2017

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I'm actually interested in trying to cheese GCO with LB3 now.

If I understand it right, you need everyone to die via GCO's initial hit as stated. The healer with stack immediately dies (or, if you go into GCO with only one healer, is it always lightning? That might be even easier). Then the surviving healer does the mechanics, and LB3's in that deadtime between laser three and acceleration bomb so that the tanks have enough time to get in front of the terminal antilight.

I mean, I'm not convinced that this is actually easier than just learning the mechanic, but it'd be fun to do.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bleu posted:

MrHappy [...] limit breaks the sahagin on Leviathan

are you memeing me right now???

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Hey, I'm working on my skills of a Scholar to go along with my fancy level 70 Summoner, and I have to admit that I'm not an expert on the job. Couple of things I'm wondering about : in, say, EXDR dungeons or Stormblood leveling stuff, how aggressive should I be with using Aetherflow to throw out Bane/Energy Drain? I've been making a point to keep at least one on tap unless I'm dumping off excess stacks before reusing Aetherflow, but it seems like sometimes that's completely unnecessary unless I want to throw Excog out, and other times it results in me frantically mashing Rouse, faerie cooldowns, Lustrates, and Emergency Tactics while screaming bloody murder. Is it just kind of a thing to get a feel for dungeon-by-dungeon?

Second, how do you actually get decent mileage out of Deployment Tactics? The effective range on it seems tiny unless everyone's already stacked up for a mechanic or you fire it off pre-pull.

Honestly, if anyone knows a good general-purpose guide to the class, that would be awesome. It's fun, and it's way the hell more dynamic on offense than Astrologian is, but I just feel like I have less ability to pull out of a bad situation than I do on Nocturnal AST at the moment.

It looks stylish as hell though, even if it makes me wish for per-class glamours (and a dyeable Plague set).
Actually, I went a bit hog wild in the Menagerie earlier, so there's a whole pile of class glamours if you're really bored.

Irae
Nov 19, 2011
Was LB on the last sahagin spawn that unreasonable, when you didn't completely overgear the fight?

The "correct" alternative was having a paladin lock him down with barely overlapping stuns starting from 75% hp or so because you couldn't risk a Dreadwash cast going off and you couldn't silence or interrupt it in any way if the cast was already started. If one went off you could pray it was Dreadstorm instead.

Given nothing relevant happened from Leviathan himself during that part, sacrificing a faster clear for an idiot proof instawipe protection seems like one of the smallest crimes he put in his terrible videos.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Scholar stuff

To be honest if you have to burn aetherflow on lustrates to keep them up they overpulled or aren't using cooldowns or the dps isn't killing things fast enough. If you want to put out a lot of sustained healing then you hit largesse + fey illumination and start spamming physick, maybe adlo if you really need a lot of healing but that's not sustainable at all and clipped shields are wasted healing so if they need that to survive they are definitely overpulling. Largesse and fey illum don't affect your aetherflow heals (they're abilities, while the buffs only affect spells, yes it's dumb) so don't hit those and expect bigger lustrates/indoms. Applies to dissipation as well.

People will be out of range for deployment tactics, this is a fact of life. If you drop a sacred soil first they'll herd in to a group by habit but soil is kind of a waste of aetherflow (indom is almost always a better use of aetherflow unless soil would prevent a death or reduce more damage than indom would heal) by itself so its up to you if you want to use it. You can finagle a deployment by positioning the faerie roughly in the middle of the group and using her as your deployment target.

There's no general guides I know of for scholar, but you can try this one: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zjHYwu6WI2d-_z7-GM-UFzgxqrNZlS2qdjVL4f-Yen0/edit . It's more raid oriented but much of it still applies.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I don't know how you guys pick a character to settle on. I must have spent an hour last night going over all the options. I think I've settled on elezen or roegadyn but I think it will come down to whoever looks better in combat.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

I don't know how you guys pick a character to settle on. I must have spent an hour last night going over all the options. I think I've settled on elezen or roegadyn but I think it will come down to whoever looks better in combat.

Fantasia is an option for the indecisive who haven't yet realized highlander is the correct option.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Kingtheninja posted:

Good choice either way.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

You should be a Roegadame.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Is it just kind of a thing to get a feel for dungeon-by-dungeon?

It's really more a feel for different levels of tank bad. If a tank is good and using cooldowns at all, you'll spend all stacks on bosses on energy drain, plus maybe an idom here and there for party wide aoes, and for big pulls you'll want to use as many stacks as possible on heals since lustrate is more mp efficient than energy drain + heal, and besides bane there's no aoe that uses stacks, and miasma 2 rips through your mp when you spam it.

If a tank is really bad, or just very low item level and pulls too big, then it gets stupid, as you'll just be spamming adlo on them and hoping the dps wins the race against your mp, and they might need an extra heal or two during bosses.

There are some dungeons where bosses will have nasty outgoing damage that outdamages your fairy quickly, but since you should be using energy drains near the end of aetherflow cooldown, you should have stacks for lustrates if they ever get too low regardless.

Also, don't use rouse and the green tether thing at the same time, rouse doesn't affect it for some hosed up reason.

tl;dr is really, use as many stacks as you can on healing, since it's more mp and time efficient than using energy drain and heals, use the time you gained to spam miasma 2/broil 2.

e: Also, for pulling out of a bad situation, don't be scared about eating your fairy. Coupled with the aetherflow cooldown reduction on using stacks, you get 6-9 stacks in really short time easily using that.

Truga fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 20, 2017

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Kingtheninja posted:

as long as you don't pick the race where we have to report you to the authorities you're fine

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Saint Freak posted:

as long as you don't pick the race where we have to report you to the authorities you're fine

Catgirls?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Kingtheninja posted:

Lalafell.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

orcane posted:

Catgirls?

No one calls the authorities over catgirls, hell we give great bargains on them.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Truga posted:

e: Also, for pulling out of a bad situation, don't be scared about eating your fairy. Coupled with the aetherflow cooldown reduction on using stacks, you get 6-9 stacks in really short time easily using that.

I'm gonna be a little contrarian and say you shouldn't use dissipation. For one, the loss of the faerie for half a minute means you resolve the problem in the first 5 - 10 seconds and spend the rest of it realizing the faerie does a lot of your healing. Also, the dissipation buff falls to the same problem largesse and fey illumination have, in that your instant heals aren't buffed by it. There's a reason it never gets used in raids for healing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I use it in raids fairly often though? You don't use it for the buff, you use it for the stacks. You're out of stacks because people are idiots, tank is low, a tankbuster is casting and the whm is using medica instead of cure 2. You can let the main tank die and then the iron giant wipes the raid because ot can't tank both adds and boss, or you eat the fairy, top up both tanks, hit lagresse too for an extra big succor/adlo time to make up for the missing fairy, and then keep whatever you were doing. 30s will be over before you know it.

With the new speedy fairy cast time you don't even need to use swiftcast to easily recover so it's even better now.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So is there anywhere you can buy/farm sky pirate gear? I kinda don't want to pay 200k for the top and i was told it was crafting only.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So is there anywhere you can buy/farm sky pirate gear? I kinda don't want to pay 200k for the top and i was told it was crafting only.

Diadem, but I'd just pony up the money.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

That example sounds less like dissipation is useful, and more like people are leaning way too much on healing to make up for sloppy play, though? There's no tank buster from hali during giant, a caster or rdps should be using lb3 to minimize add uptime, and union should be running on either the ot or mt (really whoever is picking up the ninjas) and they should be using cool downs. You don't want to go in to wave spam dry and without a faerie, or you'll have to rely on succor spam which is a horrible use of mp.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hihifellow posted:

That example sounds less like dissipation is useful, and more like people are leaning way too much on healing to make up for sloppy play, though? There's no tank buster from hali during giant, a caster or rdps should be using lb3 to minimize add uptime, and union should be running on either the ot or mt (really whoever is picking up the ninjas) and they should be using cool downs. You don't want to go in to wave spam dry and without a faerie, or you'll have to rely on succor spam which is a horrible use of mp.

"People are using healing to make up for mistakes in execution" is sort of an odd complaint to make. That is a big part of what healing is in games. Like yeah part of it is countering unavoidable required damage but a large number of skills are designed with the assumption that players are making mistakes and the healer is helping to minimize the damage from that. That's true even at high level play where expecting perfection over an extremely long mechanically demanding run (especially if you're doing the same run over and over and over) is silly. What is theoretically optimal is not the same as what is actually happening.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Velthice posted:

yea but she couldn't do that either last time I checked, which has been a while mind you. back when alex was still hot. maybe she got better, but it isn't really relevant to me now. I'll still say text guides and clear vids are the way to go

she released o4s guide without actually finishing it. Xenos actually took a dig at that at the start of his O4S guide which was hilarious. He is also someone I'd recommend watching as a lot of the pub strats seem to use his guides. He is also the best person at the game out of three (MrHappy, MTQ).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

she released o4s guide without actually finishing it. Xenos actually took a dig at that at the start of his O4S guide which was hilarious. He is also someone I'd recommend watching as a lot of the pub strats seem to use his guides. He is also the best person at the game out of three (MrHappy, MTQ).

Mizzteq is just doing voice overs for angered.

You know, the people that got the o3s and o4s world firsts.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

There's a difference between not playing optimally and having the heals compensate for mistakes, and just clownshoe'ing through content demanding healers make up for it though!

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Kingtheninja posted:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You should be a Roegadame.

Counterpoint: every goon is either a Roegadame or a Highlady. Go Duskie and you too can be an (incredibly annoying) special snowflake. Or go insane trying to figure out which skin tones don't show up green in-game.

Thanks for the SCH tips, by the way. I think I was kind of falling into the trap of using two or three MP-burning casts to heal a tank when one Adlo would be more efficient, and yeah I'll definitely read over that guide and stuff later.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
...You realize you can change the background in chargen to see what various skintones look like in normal light, right?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

hihifellow posted:

It was just a random dumb example, point is, you get caught with no stacks and really wanting them every so often, because get this, people don't play perfectly 100% of the time, including you, and not pushing dissipation in that situation is dumb, because a fairy won't fix poo poo it in a hurry.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ImpAtom posted:

Are they your nakama?

The Beast Tribes are cool and also my friends.

Except for the ones that try to irreversibly brainwash me, and the Ixal that keep calling me a neuker. Those guys are dicks.

I wonder what kind of BTQs the Vira will have.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 20, 2017

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Truga posted:

It was just a random dumb example, point is, you get caught with no stacks and really wanting them every so often, because get this, people don't play perfectly 100% of the time, including you, and not pushing dissipation in that situation is dumb, because a fairy won't fix poo poo it in a hurry.

And that's fine, dissipation is okay as an oh-poo poo button, but its drawbacks make it lousy to use regularly. I think I should have said "nobody plans to use it for raid healing" instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kingtheninja posted:

Combat animations are uniform across all races, and they work well across a spectrum of race/gender/body size combinations.

There is some small variation between genders when using /bstance, /vpose, or using /cpose to change your idle pose with your weapon out, but WYS will tend to be WYG.

edit: This only applies to combat animations. All the other non-combat animations are wildly divergent.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 20, 2017