Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Icon Of Sin posted:

It was probably an analogue to our thread on Freep. Be warned before going in: we go hunting for the most vile comments uttered on that site. The comments harvested from Freep are, at their least-terrible, on-par with racist Youtube commenters. At their worst, these people are advocating the gassing of refugee children (along the lines of Hitler's Final Solution, complete with pics of German showerheads and references to Zyklon-B), the death of gays (some of them believe that anything other than vanilla missionary makes you a 'heterosexual gay'), anti-islam ("Even then you can’t trust a Muslim because they are allowed to lie to advance Islam. In practice, Muslims will lie to you about practically anything.") and removing women from any position of authority ("This is why a woman should NEVER be president, or even court judges. They are dominated by their feelings in ways that men just aren’t."). Normally they're just little hateful balls of spite, but whenever something good happens (confederate flags being taken down/disavowed, same-sex marriage becoming a thing, etc) their tears are the absolute best :unsmigghh:

ugh I would need to shower after delving too deep into that filth. I have a hard enough time with the alt-right/lite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

you cant fire me, I quit! thus i am victorious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYGxWGduCCQ

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

i so knew what that was before clicking but :perfect:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

sneakyfrog posted:

ugh I would need to shower after delving too deep into that filth. I have a hard enough time with the alt-right/lite.

Its a rough thread, but put into context (50-90 year old racists who the world has passed by) it's a lot easier to read. Honestly, that thread used to piss me off, now I just laugh at their impotent rage.

The image of them all trying to start a revolution on their rascal scooters will never not make me laugh (they always talk about starting an uprising).

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Zipperelli. posted:

Its a rough thread, but put into context (50-90 year old racists who the world has passed by) it's a lot easier to read. Honestly, that thread used to piss me off, now I just laugh at their impotent rage.

The image of them all trying to start a revolution on their rascal scooters will never not make me laugh (they always talk about starting an uprising).

CWII is coming!!!! :freep:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Icon Of Sin posted:

CWII is coming!!!! :freep:

but i hated that channel!

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
A federal judge refused Arpaio's request to clear his criminal record because he was pardoned.

from Washington Post

Article posted:

After the pardon, the 85-year-old Arpaio petitioned the court to clear his record and prevent the ruling from being used in future litigation.

The case raised the novel question of how far a presidential pardon actually reaches.

In her ruling, U.S. District Judge Susan R. Bolton said the pardon only freed Arpaio from possible punishment. In a four-page order offering a check on the president’s executive power, Bolton wrote that a pardon could not erase the facts of the case.

“The power to pardon is an executive prerogative of mercy, not of judicial recordkeeping,” Bolton wrote in the decision. “To vacate all rulings in this case would run afoul of this important distinction. The Court found Defendant guilty of criminal contempt.”

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

He certainly seems very upset about all these people exercising their right to free speech, doesn't he?

Yeah, everyone has the right to free speech. That does NOT infer the right to make people listen.

The sad thing is that this all will just feed back into his persecution complex, reinforcing the lovely behavior instead of being a wake up call.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Samizdata posted:

Yeah, everyone has the right to free speech. That does NOT infer the right to make people listen.

The sad thing is that this all will just feed back into his persecution complex, reinforcing the lovely behavior instead of being a wake up call.

People who are disrupting these rallies should start chanting FREE SPEECH loud enough to drown out the nazi speakers.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Velocity Raptor posted:

A federal judge refused Arpaio's request to clear his criminal record because he was pardoned.

from Washington Post

It gets weirder: the justification for the request is that since Trump functionally ended the judicial process by pardoning him, Arpaio can't appeal the conviction, which somehow means future litigation shouldn't be allowed to hold it against him.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

CommonShore posted:

People who are disrupting these rallies should start chanting FREE SPEECH loud enough to drown out the nazi speakers.

Nice. I like it. Big fan of own petard hoisting.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Icon Of Sin posted:

It was probably an analogue to our thread on Freep. Be warned before going in: we go hunting for the most vile comments uttered on that site. The comments harvested from Freep are, at their least-terrible, on-par with racist Youtube commenters. At their worst, these people are advocating the gassing of refugee children (along the lines of Hitler's Final Solution, complete with pics of German showerheads and references to Zyklon-B), the death of gays (some of them believe that anything other than vanilla missionary makes you a 'heterosexual gay'), anti-islam ("Even then you can’t trust a Muslim because they are allowed to lie to advance Islam. In practice, Muslims will lie to you about practically anything.") and removing women from any position of authority ("This is why a woman should NEVER be president, or even court judges. They are dominated by their feelings in ways that men just aren’t."). Normally they're just little hateful balls of spite, but whenever something good happens (confederate flags being taken down/disavowed, same-sex marriage becoming a thing, etc) their tears are the absolute best :unsmigghh:

Would you be willing to dig up some of those same sex marriage reactions? That sounds like a real treat.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Besesoth posted:

It gets weirder: the justification for the request is that since Trump functionally ended the judicial process by pardoning him, Arpaio can't appeal the conviction, which somehow means future litigation shouldn't be allowed to hold it against him.

Am important legal distinction is that SCOTUS ruled back in 1833 that a pardon was a deed that required the person receiving it to accept it for it to take effect. So Trump wasn't the one that ended the judicial process, Arpaio was by accepting the pardon. He did this to himself and it's going to be hilariously hard to get a federal court to ever rule otherwise. It's delicious.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Besesoth posted:

Basically, Trump pardoned him by officially rescinding his punishment that was handed down by federal court. He wasn't acquitted, which means that the official record is still that he committed the crime and was declared guilty. As long as his criminal record remains, it can be used as evidence in litigation.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ariong posted:

Would you be willing to dig up some of those same sex marriage reactions? That sounds like a real treat.

Honestly

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790452

It's really worth the read. They're amazingly horrible.

Stop on November 7th 2016 though. Start back around December 7th 2016 - by that time Trump has fallen apart completely and they're starting to panic again, interspersed between praising his name in glory.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

chitoryu12 posted:

Basically, Trump pardoned him by officially rescinding his punishment that was handed down by federal court. He wasn't acquitted, which means that the official record is still that he committed the crime and was declared guilty. As long as his criminal record remains, it can be used as evidence in litigation.

And I believe it means he's forfeited his fifth amendment rights in regards to that charge

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Ariong posted:

Captain Monkey linked to the current thread, but it doesn't go back far enough for their reactions to the Obergfell ruling.

If you want some freude, I ate poo poo on page one of the current thread.

Tony Phillips posted:

Guess what page the thread will be on when the election is called for Hillary, and win a prize!
God damnit.

Chin up though. Even after Trump's win, the average Freeper is such crusty loving bitter rear end in a top hat that they're more or less incapable of being happy.

Edit : Found the old one.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599372

Obergfell decision announced on 6/26/15, but the writing was on the wall a few days prior. Supreme Court also ruled in favor of health care subsidies around the same time. June was a pretty good month in that thread.

Tony Phillips has a new favorite as of 18:21 on Oct 20, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zipperelli. posted:

X-post from the Florida thread, but this is pretty good schadenfreude.

UF Crowd Shouts Down White Nationalist Speaker

This stood out to me:

quote:

Brandon Gilliland, 34, of Gainesville, sporting an anti-Nazi pin, said he was terrified to be at the event, but felt it was his civic duty to attend and take up space.

Good on you, Brandon. You stood up despite, no in spite of, the people who fill you with fear.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ariong posted:

There have been 6 threads on Freep now, jesus :stare: The OP here covers the first 5, the 6th is still active. Page 585 of that thread is where the SCOTUS rulings hit that upheld the ACA subsidies, and they just stayed in a constant state of meltdown for like 2 weeks straight. Rewind a little bit and you've got some quality appetizer tears of when confederate flags were getting taken down after noted shithead draped one over the bodies of people he shot in a church, fast-forward a bit and you get the same-sex marriage reactions. Skip to page 594 for the main feast, but don't forget your appetizers!

quote:

To: C19fan

Homofascist Gay Gestapo will take away OUR marriages next

20 posted on 6/26/2015, 7:04:28 AM by CountryClassSF
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

quote:

To: stars & stripes forever
The SCROTUS is lesbian top heavy. Too many lesbians for one organization.

2 posted on 26/06/2015, 15:32:21 by FlingWingFlyer (Zippity Doo Dah, Zippity Ay! Yeeeeee Haw!!!!!)

quote:

To: The_Media_never_lie
Pedophilia is next to be legalized - sex and marriage with infants and toddlers.
Iran is correct,

USA is the Great Satan

106 posted on 6/26/2015, 9:30:36 AM by atc23 (The Confederacy was the single greatest conservative resistance to federal authority ever)

quote:

May God have mercy on our wicked nation.

11 posted on 6/26/2015, 9:03:45 AM by Ronaldus Magnus

quote:

Next comes Polyamorous “Marriages” Incestual “Marriages” and Trans-species Marriages.

Count on it.

16 posted on 6/26/2015, 9:04:11 AM by tcrlaf (They told me it could never happen in America. And then it did....)

quote:

May America burn in Hell.

36 posted on 6/26/2015, 9:07:29 AM by greene66

E: old thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599372&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Side note : Dale Reed - the freeper mentioned in the OPs is now dead. No word on whether or not he actually laid down in the street to die.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I really, really need more info on that flaming semi from hell in that FailArmy vid. :psyduck:

Proteus Jones posted:

despite, no in spite of

Brandon is a cool dude but those things mean exactly the same thing.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I guess I didn't realize how recently the threads had changed out. Or how long ago Obergfell was. :smith: Happier times.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Icon Of Sin posted:

There have been 6 threads on Freep now, jesus :stare: The OP here covers the first 5, the 6th is still active. Page 585 of that thread is where the SCOTUS rulings hit that upheld the ACA subsidies, and they just stayed in a constant state of meltdown for like 2 weeks straight. Rewind a little bit and you've got some quality appetizer tears of when confederate flags were getting taken down after noted shithead draped one over the bodies of people he shot in a church, fast-forward a bit and you get the same-sex marriage reactions. Skip to page 594 for the main feast, but don't forget your appetizers!

E: old thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599372&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Tag yourself I'm the Homofascist Gay Gestapo.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Velocity Raptor posted:

from Washington Post

quote:

The case raised the novel question of how far a presidential pardon actually reaches.

In her ruling, U.S. District Judge Susan R. Bolton said the pardon only freed Arpaio from possible punishment. In a four-page order offering a check on the president’s executive power, Bolton wrote that a pardon could not erase the facts of the case.

It's not a novel question and that's a well-settled matter of law. Expungement is a matter for the courts. Seriously, WaPo reporter, this is even a FAQ:

https://www.justice.gov/pardon/frequently-asked-questions-concerning-executive-clemency#18

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Tony Phillips posted:

Side note : Dale Reed - the freeper mentioned in the OPs is now dead. No word on whether or not he actually laid down in the street to die.

A man so spiteful that his spirit rejected its own fleshy prison and spread itself thinly over the whole world to make everyone, like, 1% more angry at everything.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Captain Monkey posted:

I guess I didn't realize how recently the threads had changed out. Or how long ago Obergfell was. :smith: Happier times.

:smith::hf::smith:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Proteus Jones posted:

This stood out to me:

Good on you, Brandon. You stood up despite, no in spite of, the people who fill you with fear.

it aint courage if you arent afraid. Rock on Brandon.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It’s amazing how these freep creeps threaten to have an uprising every single time something doesn’t go their way. Like, how is it not self-evident that “it’s time for us to rise up against tyranny” loses its punch after the tenth time you say it and then plop right back down into your La-Z-Boy?

EDIT:

quote:

To: Ray76
Note to self...Buy more ammunition.

15 posted on 26/06/2015, 17:19:51 by AngelesCrestHighway

Like this, but once a week.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 19:03 on Oct 20, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

food court bailiff posted:

I really, really need more info on that flaming semi from hell in that FailArmy vid. :psyduck:

Brandon is a cool dude but those things mean exactly the same thing.

I was trying for a play on words (that obviously failed) where "despite" = in disregard and "in spite of" = with contempt. After doing a quick search, I was completely in left field and should probably leave word play to those that can actually pull it off.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Samizdata posted:

That's the point - these dopes always say they're doing it for free speech but the only speech any of them care about is and always has been their own (disclaimer: I relaise that few if any of them actually believe in freedom of speech).

Captain Monkey posted:

Stop on November 7th 2016 though. Start back around December 7th 2016 - by that time Trump has fallen apart completely and they're starting to panic again, interspersed between praising his name in glory.

I think on some level they understand that even with a poorly-run campaign, Clinton still won the popular vote and by an appreciable margin, and even if Trump is president, he isn't the choice of the majority and his (and their) ideas were not the ones people wanted. Why else do they parrot all the, "Trump actually won the popular vote but people voted ILLEGALLY for Clinton!" rubbish?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's the point - these dopes always say they're doing it for free speech but the only speech any of them care about is and always has been their own (disclaimer: I relaise that few if any of them actually believe in freedom of speech).

Oh, no, they absolutely do believe in free speech -- just so long as it's speech they agree with.

That's what bothers me about the Richard Spencer thing: his acolytes will frame it the same way he did: "oh those libtard snowflakes don't believe in mah right to free speech!" And never mind the fact that they want to have their cake and eat it too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Once you've crossed the Rubicon of "the Holocaust didn't happen but I'm glad it did" any doublethink is tolerable.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

*in a prosopagnostic voice* IS THIS THE HOT STEP-MOTHER OF THAT GOON WHO WANTER TO gently caress HE STEP-MOTHER??!?!?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMCFRElyaCc

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Proteus Jones posted:

I was trying for a play on words (that obviously failed) where "despite" = in disregard and "in spite of" = with contempt. After doing a quick search, I was completely in left field and should probably leave word play to those that can actually pull it off.

You meant "to spite them", rather than "in spite of them". If it's any consolation I got what you were going for.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

SiKboy posted:

You meant "to spite them", rather than "in spite of them". If it's any consolation I got what you were going for.
Huh. I never thought of it before, but that's more or less the origin of the phrase, acting to spite something that would otherwise be a barrier.

quote:

Phrase in spite of is recorded from c. 1400, literally "in defiance or contempt of," hence "notwithstanding."

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vCc9jiYreo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

Once you've crossed the Rubicon of "the Holocaust didn't happen but I'm glad it did" any doublethink is tolerable.

I imagine most neo-Nazis would actually find a lot of common ground with ISIS if they weren't bigoted against Muslims. :v:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I imagine most neo-Nazis would actually find a lot of common ground with ISIS if they weren't bigoted against Muslims. :v:

They already have a name for it: Y'all Qaeda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

https://i.imgur.com/iti13NQ.gifv