Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

JBP posted:

I really enjoy Japanese animation, but I find the fan stuff a bit tiresome when it's relentless. What's a mecha type show I might like that also has sweet modern vehicles or whatever as well? I watched Aldnoah Zero and really liked it, including the goofiness (especially the goofiness of Inaho explaining his zany battle gambits).

I've started Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans and I'm enjoying it, but if anyone can recommend maybe a semi serious mecha series that's got great animation and a lot of sweet action I'd appreciate it.

Full Metal Panic. It has a good mix of military, mechs, and some light hearted silliness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I dropped Kuromukuro at about the same point TC did. Definitely try Eureka 7 first, it's a million times better and more creative.

Don't bother with the sequel though, it was a massive disappointment compared to the original.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

khy posted:

Full Metal Panic. It has a good mix of military, mechs, and some light hearted silliness.

Seconding this. It's got a good mix of over-the-top ridiculousness via the main character being a humorless straight-laced military vet stuck in the middle of high school shenanigans, and serious military/mech warfare with good action scenes.

I didn't watch either of the follow-up series, though I believe Fumoffu is more comedy-leaning than the original and Second Raid is the other way around.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fumoffu is hands down the best thing to come out of FMP as a franchise.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The original FMP anime is really, really hard to go back to, especially after The Second Raid. Gonzo cut a lot of corners and it just comes off as lackluster and cheap. I guess it's worth watching in that there is literally no better option outside of reading novel translations or the manga, but I wish KyoAni had taken the chance to revisit it back when they actually made FMP anime.

That said Fumoffu can be watched by anyone regardless of how much FMP they've seen. It explains its opening pitch/premise well enough and just lets the comedy take the centerstage, and to this day still remains one of the best anime comedies I've seen. But it also has ~zero~ mecha and of course is not serious in the slightest so I dunno how well it works for the topic at hand.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I like the personal drama in FMP better than I like Fumoffu, but it's basically personal drama > fumoffu comedy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> literally anything to do with giant robots ever, so having absolutely zero mecha ends up being a point in its favor.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

JBP posted:

I really enjoy Japanese animation, but I find the fan stuff a bit tiresome when it's relentless. What's a mecha type show I might like that also has sweet modern vehicles or whatever as well? I watched Aldnoah Zero and really liked it, including the goofiness (especially the goofiness of Inaho explaining his zany battle gambits).

I've started Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans and I'm enjoying it, but if anyone can recommend maybe a semi serious mecha series that's got great animation and a lot of sweet action I'd appreciate it.

Patlabor OVA rules, it's a little less serious and a little less mech-heavy but everything crunches real nice.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Are there any non-gundam mecha animes with animation on par with the recent gundam OVAs (unicorn and thunderbolt)

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Does Eureka 7 take a while to get good, because I tried watching it a couple of times and couldn't get into it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

Does Eureka 7 take a while to get good, because I tried watching it a couple of times and couldn't get into it

yes, absolutely, it takes like ten episodes just to get to "okay." the thing is it never stops getting better to the point where despite having a weak entire first season (effectively) the overall experience is very positive

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Eureka Seven has the Babylon 5 quality curve, basically, complete with the post-cancellation spin-offs that drop straight into hell

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the first couple eps of eureka seven are whatever but i started getting into it by episode 3 because that's where it starts digging into renton's relationship with the rest of the cast

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Probably my favorite episode that isn't one of the major story ones is the one where the crew of the Gekko are just loving with Renton and making him do really stupid odd jobs. It felt incredibly human when compared to most anime.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the first half of eureka seven is cool cause it's just about renton as a depressed homesick teenager realizing that people do care about him and don't actively want him gone forever

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
This Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans has grabbed me by the balls. That hostile takeover :discourse: Have to admit I kind of like the mobile workers more than the mobile suits at this point because they look so rough and ready like the Aldnoah terran mechs.

I'm going to grab a bluray of The Big O on my way home today since I'm working away from home and evenings suck. Would I enjoy Arpeggio of Blue Steel? I remember watching a submarine anime in like 2005 that I enjoyed but I can't recall it's name.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Arpeggio wasn't bad, but nothing special either. It was also one of the earlier 3DCG shows, so keep that in mind.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JBP posted:

This Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans has grabbed me by the balls. That hostile takeover :discourse: Have to admit I kind of like the mobile workers more than the mobile suits at this point because they look so rough and ready like the Aldnoah terran mechs.

I'm going to grab a bluray of The Big O on my way home today since I'm working away from home and evenings suck. Would I enjoy Arpeggio of Blue Steel? I remember watching a submarine anime in like 2005 that I enjoyed but I can't recall it's name.

That's almost certainly Blue Submarine No.6 you're thinking of.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

JBP posted:

I genuinely hope that you enjoy The Big O "Batman: The Animated Series with robots", because it's a lot of fun.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That is insanely insulting to Batman.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

nah

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
actually the big o loving rules

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Winner of the "Poor Games Poster" avatar.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is a general recommendation but Space Dandy is one of the best Anime's I may have ever seen.

Like,

Cowboy Bebop
One Punch Man
Space Dandy
TriGun

Just absolutely awesome, go watch it right now.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

GorfZaplen posted:

Winner of the "Poor Games Poster" avatar.

There was never a vote so put an asterisk by that.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I've been pretty out of the loop for most of the last decade or so, but I have some free time on my hands that I don't know what to do with and figured I'd check out some cartoons. I've seen a handful of the bigger names over the last few years, but I don't know what I've missed out or am missing out on and I'm pretty sure I'm long past the point in my life where I can sit through just any old show.

I'm usually into stuff that's dialogue and character driven, where any action is either somewhat incidental or self-aware and campy, where the story is at least somewhat unconventional and original, and usually where the mood is downbeat. I probably won't be able to get into typical shounen action, another generic high school harem, godawful fanservice comedy, or predictable drama. Off the top of my head, from the last five or six years a few I've been able to get into are Jojo (it's campy and too fun not to get into), Kill La Kill (which totally surprised me since I couldn't get into Gurren Lagann), Long Dumb Name Snafu, Natsume Yuujinchou, Konosuba, Mob Psycho 100, Madoka, and Nichijou.

Any ideas where I should start?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Shinsekai Yori/From the New World

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Meldonox posted:

I've been pretty out of the loop for most of the last decade or so, but I have some free time on my hands that I don't know what to do with and figured I'd check out some cartoons. I've seen a handful of the bigger names over the last few years, but I don't know what I've missed out or am missing out on and I'm pretty sure I'm long past the point in my life where I can sit through just any old show.

I'm usually into stuff that's dialogue and character driven, where any action is either somewhat incidental or self-aware and campy, where the story is at least somewhat unconventional and original, and usually where the mood is downbeat. I probably won't be able to get into typical shounen action, another generic high school harem, godawful fanservice comedy, or predictable drama. Off the top of my head, from the last five or six years a few I've been able to get into are Jojo (it's campy and too fun not to get into), Kill La Kill (which totally surprised me since I couldn't get into Gurren Lagann), Long Dumb Name Snafu, Natsume Yuujinchou, Konosuba, Mob Psycho 100, Madoka, and Nichijou.

Little Witch Academia has a lot of the same energy as Kill la Kill, minus absolutely all of the fanservice and has a really interesting and more focused story, though the first season is mainly episodic as they introduce the cast

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 19, 2017

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Meldonox posted:

Take a look at 'GATE' perhaps

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Katanagatari! Very dialog heavy and campy and also really unconventional, like down to having hour long episodes. I'll also second From the New World, which has really good characters and is legit horrifying.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

an actual dog posted:

Katanagatari! Very dialog heavy and campy and also really unconventional, like down to having hour long episodes. I'll also second From the New World, which has really good characters and is legit horrifying.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Meldonox posted:

Go watch Monster.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Meldonox posted:

Steins;Gate (Bonus: The dub for this is really loving good.)
Fate/Zero (The best way to enjoy the Fate franchise without delving too deep.)
Daily Lives of Highschool Boys (Think Nichijou with boys instead of girls and a bit more tongue-in-cheek.)

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Meldonox posted:

Have you seen Psycho-Pass? Tiger and Bunny might work, also.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Steins;Gate (Bonus: The dub for this is really loving good.)

Seconding the reccomendation, though I still think the japanese voices are better.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Meldonox posted:

If you haven't seen Mushishi, it's really worth checking out. Fairly slow paced and episodic, but very beautiful and original and if you liked Natsume then you'll probably like Mushishi too.

Since you liked Mob Psycho, maybe check out One Punch Man? Same author, super campy action. It's basically a parody of superhero shonen action.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

There was a thread for hard sci-fi recommendations and I decided to watch Starship Operators thanks to that because I really like space battleships (so much that this is probably why I liked Gundam Seed as a kid). I saw the conclusion coming from a mile away but I still found the execution interesting, and the fake news plot point is surpriringly topical today. It's a shame the series ended so quickly, it would've been interesting for the series to expand on the supreme chancellor's female "adjudant". She was never actually called by name in the series from what I can tell, and was the only female cast member in the Kingdom. As guilty anime melodramatic pleasure poo poo I was expecting Sinon to be relative to someone in the Kingdom or something dumb but that never came to pass.

The premise was dumb but it combined four things I love:

1. At least some interesting world building, even if it was lacking in breadth. It's intriguing to think about the interactions of various entities/nations in play, even if kinda simple.
2. Space battleships
3. Political intrigue
4. Psuedo realism (Though it kinda pissed me that they should've talked about acceleration in space instead of "speed" because it rarely made sense ("maximum combat speed").

Anything that fits most of these points that I've potentially missed?

I've sadly already watched Legend of Galactic Heroes which would fit the bill hilariously well. :suicide:

edit:

Aumanor posted:

Seconding the reccomendation, though I still think the japanese voices are better.

Thirding this recommendation, Steins;Gate fits your description in more ways than one that's not readily apparent till' the series starts really spinning its wheels. I'm a fan though, so I may be biased.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 20, 2017

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Space Battleship 2199 (they got an astrophysicist to consult for this one) and Towards the Terra (the TV series not the movie) are both two cour shows that should keep you busy for a while.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

you mentioned gundam seed. you might enjoy gundam in general, if you haven't already delved into it further.

i dunno if any given gundam series checks off all four of the points you listed, but i think there's several series that might qualify for 3 out of 4.

EDIT: i think zeta gundam checks off all four? maybe OG gundam?

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 20, 2017

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
If you want world building and large-scale space battles (which are quite unique due to the way hyperspace works in the setting) you should probably check out Crest/Banner of the Stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

fezball posted:

If you want world building and large-scale space battles (which are quite unique due to the way hyperspace works in the setting) you should probably check out Crest/Banner of the Stars.

How did this slip my mind? Because yeah this.