Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah but alpha centaur is a continental planet freebie spawn system for the sol start so we still don't know if it's system or planet bound.
I think the game can still randomly generate Alpha Centauri even if you don't start in Sol, I'm pretty sure it's system based.

Also, yeah, I'm betting that downgrading starbases is useful because there'll be a starbase cap similar to fleet cap so you'll want to downsize things like forts that are no longer in a strategic position to free up the cap for use elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Staltran posted:

They're named Sol Starport and Alpha Centauri Starhold in the screenshots, so it certainly sounds like one per system. Hopefully that will let you have the same ship throughput with less clicks/hotkeys dedicated to starports.

I do wonder why you would want to downgrade starports. Maybe re-upgrading will be free/cheaper than the first upgrade? Otherwise it seems like it wouldn't be fun to be in a position where you're better off downgrading. That's probably the most interesting part here, I'm certainly curious to see where they're going with this.

I imagine they have a maintenance cost. Your frontier fortress in the early game is gonna be a lot less useful a hundred years later when it's in the heart of your blob.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My wild theories:
Every system is now claimed by building some sort of "base" around the star, they're cheap and just cost some minerals and influence to build. They still cost more influence based on distance from a colonized system, and each one probably costs some energy and influence to maintain, but now that we need one for every system it'll be like .1 rather than 1.

There will be tiers of starports that grant different abilities. Like maybe you can build the level 0 for cheap but only in systems adjacent to a colonized system OR a system with a level 2 starbase, which costs a lot more influence upkeep but is treated as a colonized system allowing you to snag adjacent systems with the cheap level 0 bases.

Now as you get better border technology or colonize more planets, you'll end up not needing the expensive upkeep starbases in some places because you replaced it with a colonized planet, or you got a tech that lets you claim systems 2-stars away. This is when you would downgrade in order to save on upkeep, just like now we disband outposts once we've colonized a system or the outpost isn't optimal anymore.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think we'll see the ftl mix here as well. Starlanes are standard and you can upgrade outposts to have point to point wormholes later for defensive movement.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Would be nice if they added in civilian ships, at least cosmetically as eye candy, to help liven up your systems. Especially your most heavily developed core ones.

Sky Shadowing posted:

This was on their roadmap but I have a feeling getting performance sorted is a higher priority.

Cosmetic ships are nice but late-game has terrible performance as is, I can't imagine adding dozens of little ships on top of that will do anything good for performance.
There is a cool mod that adds civilian ships (link), but at least on my computer it totally kills performance. Very sad. :smith:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

There is a cool mod that adds civilian ships (link), but at least on my computer it totally kills performance. Very sad. :smith:

Same, it's very nice to have the atmosphere but by 50 years in the slowdown is unplayable :(

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I think the only way to really have lots of little ships moving around is to just have some kind of hard coded moving image layer with a couple of lods depending on the systems you're connecting, sort of like how water is handled. No game engine can sim that many independent objects without serious performance loss.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Counterpoint: Factorio.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I was thinking more along the lines of simple sprites that move between two (or more) points depending on how much commerce, population, industry or what have you is actually present. Not adding actual ships and AI that will just burden the game even more.

The civilian ships don't have to actually be functional, they just have to look nice. Maybe someone over at Paradox can dust off a tutorial about creating voxels.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The civilian ships don't have to actually be functional, they just have to look nice.
Like the trade goods moving on the map in EU4? Except more fun of course.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Mister Adequate posted:

Counterpoint: Factorio.

Factorio is indeed the amazing and wonderful exception to every rule, but it's also deliberately built for that and sprite based. It even does things like dynamically grouping objects into a single sprite because it's amazing and wonderful.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

Performance aside, I kind of find it hideous because the civilian fleets get the same UI callouts as empire fleets, which just clutters things up.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Baronjutter posted:

My wild theories:
Every system is now claimed by building some sort of "base" around the star, they're cheap and just cost some minerals and influence to build. They still cost more influence based on distance from a colonized system, and each one probably costs some energy and influence to maintain, but now that we need one for every system it'll be like .1 rather than 1.

There will be tiers of starports that grant different abilities. Like maybe you can build the level 0 for cheap but only in systems adjacent to a colonized system OR a system with a level 2 starbase, which costs a lot more influence upkeep but is treated as a colonized system allowing you to snag adjacent systems with the cheap level 0 bases.

Now as you get better border technology or colonize more planets, you'll end up not needing the expensive upkeep starbases in some places because you replaced it with a colonized planet, or you got a tech that lets you claim systems 2-stars away. This is when you would downgrade in order to save on upkeep, just like now we disband outposts once we've colonized a system or the outpost isn't optimal anymore.

This makes a lot of sense, considering how the borders in that galaxy map Wiz showed off looked.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

aw I was really hoping buildings would be like actual planet style buildings

become unbreakable by putting planetary shield generators on your spaceports

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of simple sprites that move between two (or more) points depending on how much commerce, population, industry or what have you is actually present. Not adding actual ships and AI that will just burden the game even more.

The civilian ships don't have to actually be functional, they just have to look nice. Maybe someone over at Paradox can dust off a tutorial about creating voxels.

yeah but you know how if you're sorta zoomed out and your guys come in from warp or your science ship starts beaming and you get that occasional bright flash of energy?

the spacelanes should do this too

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Staltran posted:

They're named Sol Starport and Alpha Centauri Starhold in the screenshots, so it certainly sounds like one per system. Hopefully that will let you have the same ship throughput with less clicks/hotkeys dedicated to starports.

I do wonder why you would want to downgrade starports. Maybe re-upgrading will be free/cheaper than the first upgrade? Otherwise it seems like it wouldn't be fun to be in a position where you're better off downgrading. That's probably the most interesting part here, I'm certainly curious to see where they're going with this.

They'll likely have a hefty ongoing resource cost, which you might want to lower when you're not at war.

I hope this'll be a one-per-system thing, but I've got a sinking suspicion that it'll probably be a one-per-sector thing - it solves the problem of sector spaceports being hidden away in a menu, it ties in nicely to sectors' ability to manage placement of defenses on their own, and it would incentivize the player to have multiple sectors without just slapping them with a massive arbitrary penalty.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
What if you can have one super big spaceport per sector, one big one per system, and all others around planets are small? If you interact with a smaller spaceport you can only control what ships get build there, but per-system spaceports allow you to use their slipways and those of all smaller spaceports in system, and this repeats at the sector-level spaceport. Then maybe you can have one apex spaceport in your whole empire that coordinates everything below it. All ships built also rally to the place where you made the build order. This would be a good way of coordinating empire-wide fleet production without getting rid of the ability to interact with the smaller spaceports and make some things locally.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

I hope this'll be a one-per-system thing, but I've got a sinking suspicion that it'll probably be a one-per-sector thing - it solves the problem of sector spaceports being hidden away in a menu, it ties in nicely to sectors' ability to manage placement of defenses on their own, and it would incentivize the player to have multiple sectors without just slapping them with a massive arbitrary penalty.

I don't think adding more things to add incentive to increase your sector count/interact with sectors on a regular basis is really a good idea until sectors are actually made more interesting (in a way that isn't just screaming PAY ATTENTION TO SECTORS). One per system sounds more reasonable.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I didn't know that machine FE will take planets occupied by Contingency. Now, after it took a planet that was next to a system with my Dyson sphere, I know. Time to reload to an earlier save, I guess :ohdear:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The update with the stations being a long way away makes me think this really might be part of the announced as possible thing FTL/System Ownership rework. That'd be really awesome.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't really know anything about twitch but is there a way I can watch wiz and cknoor's show on moo2?

Litterally googling "wiz and cknoor play moo2" solved it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mILTsnMNNHI

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 20, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

I don't really know anything about twitch but is there a way I can watch wiz and cknoor's show on moo2?

Litterally googling "wiz and cknoor play moo2" solved it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mILTsnMNNHI

If you had their channel subscribed, the video would have shown up automatically in your feed. :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
BRB making these guys:
https://youtu.be/j4IFNKYmLa8

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I don't even care if they're good or not, the idea of having hordes of pet amoeba to send after enemy ships is too awesome not to use

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The new starbase stuff looks cool but I would guess it's still per-planet because the planet tab is still at the bottom.

Would be neat to have the option of making them free floating though, esp. if they can be upgraded into habitats.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

OwlFancier posted:

The new starbase stuff looks cool but I would guess it's still per-planet because the planet tab is still at the bottom.

I think that is its own set of tabs

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I wish sectors were good cause micro managing like 10 planets in the mid game is what really kills my interest to take a game late.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there any way to make certain portraits only for certain races? The horrible parasitic portraits, I always want to destroy them on sight no matter what sort of country I'm playing. But displacement can take a very long time and I think if there's no refugee slots in the galaxy it can take forever. Since I'm not evil I can't actually genocide these horrible things, so I've taken to using the kill_pop command because I hate them so so much.

I'd love to make it so they could only spawn as hive minds, so countries would correctly auto-purge them no matter their ethos. Also notice some of my vassals are harbouring them. Wish I could demand an all out galaxy-wide cleansing of a "species" if you can call them that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I think that is its own set of tabs

Bugger me you're right, I guess I automatically read planet because I can't find it again.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Baronjutter posted:

Is there any way to make certain portraits only for certain races? The horrible parasitic portraits, I always want to destroy them on sight no matter what sort of country I'm playing. But displacement can take a very long time and I think if there's no refugee slots in the galaxy it can take forever. Since I'm not evil I can't actually genocide these horrible things, so I've taken to using the kill_pop command because I hate them so so much.

I'd love to make it so they could only spawn as hive minds, so countries would correctly auto-purge them no matter their ethos. Also notice some of my vassals are harbouring them. Wish I could demand an all out galaxy-wide cleansing of a "species" if you can call them that.

Wow dude, who's to say those parasites aren't actually symbiotes and also some of the nicest drat sapients you'll ever meet? Spacist :colbert:

Also to answer your question - no, short of taking them all out of their various portrait categories and creating special hivemind only portrait set that contains them. I have no idea how to go about doing that, but I'm going to assume it's possible given the existence of machine only portraits.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Psycho Landlord posted:

Wow dude, who's to say those parasites aren't actually symbiotes and also some of the nicest drat sapients you'll ever meet? Spacist :colbert:

Also to answer your question - no, short of taking them all out of their various portrait categories and creating special hivemind only portrait set that contains them. I have no idea how to go about doing that, but I'm going to assume it's possible given the existence of machine only portraits.

The ones in my game are egalitarian xenophiles, maybe they're like the Trill or something where its a joining rather than a full control thing. Maybe the disgusting fungal parasite doesn't do anything but prolong its hosts life or something perfectly nice and the host is in full control. On the other hand, loving LOOK at them, gross, purge.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

The ones in my game are egalitarian xenophiles, maybe they're like the Trill or something where its a joining rather than a full control thing. Maybe the disgusting fungal parasite doesn't do anything but prolong its hosts life or something perfectly nice and the host is in full control. On the other hand, loving LOOK at them, gross, purge.

I’m sure they find you disgusting too.

Regardless, embrace the xenophobia faction if you must.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1CQ7Vwz8Eo

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 22, 2017

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m sure they find you disgusting too.

Regardless, embrace the xenophobia faction if you must.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?O1CQ7Vwz8Eo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1CQ7Vwz8Eo

That slash broke it, somehow.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

I like that the thread title has remained relevant through cannibalism and servitors alike

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
What's the point of the fallen empires? How do they work? In my game I'm bordering one and I can't build anything or settle close to them they declare war and their fleet is always double mine so I have to surrender. Is this going to be the normal always?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

TipsyMcStagger posted:

What's the point of the fallen empires? How do they work? In my game I'm bordering one and I can't build anything or settle close to them they declare war and their fleet is always double mine so I have to surrender. Is this going to be the normal always?

They're the Vorlons/Shadows in Babylon 5. They're the space assholes who think they are gods, big targets for you to fight once you've gotten strong enough so you can say "gently caress you" to these jerkasses who've pushed you around and gotten in your way all game long.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Fallen empires are the remains of the last galactic civlizations to evolve. They generally keep to themselves but they have no time for the new species. Seems like you rolled a xenophobic one which, yes, will declare war on you if you don't keep well away from them. They won't attack you otherwise unless they wake up, at which point they become a kind of galactic crisis because they usually still have much better technology than anyone else and substantially more warships. If you have a xenophobic one near you that's going to be a threat later in the game if it wakes up, so you may want to consider making it your mission to get to a point where you can beat them before they do. You'll get some good techs out of it and probably some nice planets too, but it'll be a big challenge. Also consider trying to build a galactic pact in case they wake up before you're ready. I'm not sure if xenophobes will offer you a treaty option or whether they just go on a murder spree, normally awakened empires give you the option of signing up as a kind of vassal in exchange for not being murdered but I've never seen an awakened xenophobe one before.

Honestly FEs are the best implemented crisislike thing in the game because they're telegraphed from the game start, you know where they are and what kind of threat they will pose, and you usually have the option of taking an alternative penalty if your playstyle or location doesn't allow you to fight them.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Awakened xenophobes are no trouble. Least annoying terms of vassalage, gives you plenty of leeway to develop until you can kick their rear end from the inside.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

Awakened xenophobes are no trouble. Least annoying terms of vassalage, gives you plenty of leeway to develop until you can kick their rear end from the inside.

Kinda awkward when they get a victory when you surrender though.

Does decadence start stacking exponentially when they’ve “won”? I did a war for independence along with his 2nd largest thrall and I noticed after a while that he had 75% decadence and was out of energy. I guess he relied too heavily on my 600/month!

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So they first attacked in a fleet of 60k when everyone had 20k maximum.. then they attacked with a 190k fleet when I own half the galaxy with like 35 planets and 700 fleet support with a 100k fleet.

How the hell do I compete? Save money till maxed out then go over my fleet support and jihad that poo poo?

• Locked thread