Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Combat animations are uniform across all races, and they work well across a spectrum of race/gender/body size combinations.

There is some small variation between genders when using /bstance, /vpose, or using /cpose to change your idle pose with your weapon out, but WYS will tend to be WYG.

Some of the mounts look different depending on your race too. Elf ladies sit side saddle on the larger horse-shaped mounts iirc, and lalas hang on for dear life to some of the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Combat animations are uniform across all races, and they work well across a spectrum of race/gender/body size combinations.

There is some small variation between genders when using /bstance, /vpose, or using /cpose to change your idle pose with your weapon out, but WYS will tend to be WYG.

Midlands HyurMan has a 'slight hip to the side' that highlander are denied and it frustrates me to an absurd degree, but the muscles are worth it

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

hihifellow posted:

And that's fine, dissipation is okay as an oh-poo poo button, but its drawbacks make it lousy to use regularly. I think I should have said "nobody plans to use it for raid healing" instead.
Well up until this patch anyway, now it's pretty great.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ainsley McTree posted:

Some of the mounts look different depending on your race too. Elf ladies sit side saddle on the larger horse-shaped mounts iirc, and lalas hang on for dear life to some of the others.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Midlands HyurMan has a 'slight hip to the side' that highlander are denied and it frustrates me to an absurd degree, but the muscles are worth it

I thought it was readily apparent that I was addressing Kingtheninja's concerns about combat animations looking wonky on certain races, but I'll clarify it.

They are right, though, the various emotes and idle poses and riding poses and everything else are where one race/tribe differs from the other.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

edit: This only applies to combat animations. All the other non-combat animations are wildly divergent.

"Small variation," tell that to the Sundrop Dance. Women get the garbage version.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Midlanders have a muscle slider too, though?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

apostateCourier posted:

"Small variation," tell that to the Sundrop Dance. Women get the garbage version.

It’s accurate at least.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It doesn't do anything

UNLIKR MY STRONG WIEF

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Thundarr posted:

A slider that only goes up to "I lifted a weight, once" is no slider at all. :colbert:

The only thing I hate about the different poses and stuff is that the gender-locked weapon /cpose. Not being able to plunge my greatsword into the ground or hold my monk claws like a badass makes me want to fantasia.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

apostateCourier posted:

Yeah, it's garbage, but it's accurate to what a real Haka looks like, so I can't be too annoyed.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sky Pirates gear is easy to craft so it's probably worth getting it that way.

Source: I can do it and I'm the worst crafter.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yeah, it's garbage, but it's accurate to what a real Haka looks like, so I can't be too annoyed.

I can, when the bird ladies still do the energetic one.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I made an "old man" lalafell monk and I don't feel bad about it. :colbert:

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I never liked that excuse. Like when we first saw birdmen in heavensward doing their thing we were all like "I wanna do that" and square was like "soon!" there weren't a lady birds doing the half assed dance to be seen. Then when we got it they surprised us with that and people just accepted it because "no see it has a real life parallel." Like, nobody wanted the lame lady dance. nobody saw that and was like, that's it, those are the smooth moves I want my character to do

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I can.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

very pleased that Rabanaste concludes with dunking on Argas

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Thundarr posted:

Please, if you can't go Arnold can you say you really have muscles?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I thought it was readily apparent that I was addressing Kingtheninja's concerns about combat animations looking wonky on certain races, but I'll clarify it.

Sure, you just mentioned cposes being different and I was just saying I miss one from Midland Hyur as an aside

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 20, 2017

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Please, if you can't go Arnold can you say you really have muscles?

Arnold is only like 6'1 though so wouldn't he be a Midlander :mrgw:

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Midlanders guys top out about 5'11" though, don't they?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

hihifellow posted:

And that's fine, dissipation is okay as an oh-poo poo button, but its drawbacks make it lousy to use regularly. I think I should have said "nobody plans to use it for raid healing" instead.

early in the patch cycle, i planned to hit dissipation every pull in a6s, to deal with the complete shitshow that was the second robot. drills/beam buster hitting at the same time as plasma ball aoes was no joke.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Scholar is fun, until everything starts going wrong and you’re out of AF stacks and it’s on cooldown and your fairy/adlo/physick spam can’t keep up with the damage. Then it’s pure hell and you feel like a prize rear end in a top hat for being so cocky earlier

Basically I understand why alphinaud is a sch

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Scholar is fun, until everything starts going wrong and you’re out of AF stacks and it’s on cooldown and your fairy/adlo/physick spam can’t keep up with the damage. Then it’s pure hell and you feel like a prize rear end in a top hat for being so cocky earlier

Basically I understand why alphinaud is a sch

He's an Arcanist, isn't he? Carbuncle. not fairy.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

He's an Arcanist, isn't he? Carbuncle. not fairy.

I assume he got early access to fairy glamour

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

unseenlibrarian posted:

...You realize you can change the background in chargen to see what various skintones look like in normal light, right?

Yep, but a lot of Duskwight skintones have an odd greenish undertone that bugs me more than it should, and it's hard to notice even in the sunny environments. I think the character creator uses different lighting from the rest of the game, it always seems a bit blotchy and low-quality compared to the in game lighting.

Anyways all races are cool and good and it makes very little difference which one you pick. If you're worried about it, create your character, save their appearance, then make an alt on some low population server to preview voices and animation and stuff.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Scholar was over buffed anyway, nobody should complaining about that job.

But goddamn is it the most fun~

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

ruta posted:

I hope no one asks you for advice.

This is literally, verbatim, our strategy and i have my memefists to prove it.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

are you memeing me right now???

i never meme. this is known.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uELrgWAGK-8&t=700s

Bleu fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 20, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
what if you're the magical unicorn group that can do gco perfectly but keep hitting a 2.5% enrage at the end????

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rascyc posted:

Scholar was over buffed anyway, nobody should complaining about that job.

But goddamn is it the most fun~

It’s extremely possible that I’m just very bad at it, but it feels like it’s the hardest healer to play when you’re with a group that’s determined to kill itself (low gear tanks who chain pull and don’t use cooldowns, dps who eat all mechanics, and so on)

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I wish all the races had as much of a difference between the two types as the humans do. Instead, most of them are "this one has a funny nose and different skin options"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
As a sch I find it easiest to handle some people loving up sometimes because there's just so many instant cast things, but also hardest to handle everyone loving up all the time, yeah. Succor was buffed to 375 potency, sure, but the extra 75 potency is entirely in the shield, so if you're trying to get people healed up between big hits it's still only useful like twice per 20s unless there's many small hits like titan's stomps.

I generally deal with such situations by choosing people that seems like they're the worst and letting them die while spamming 1 lustrate on every other person when indom is on cooldown and another big hit is up soon. It's not ideal, but I've survived through enough 24 mans and non-savage poo poo this way to prevent wipes. :shrug:

Truga fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 20, 2017

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Truga posted:

As a sch I find it easiest to handle some people loving up sometimes because there's just so many instant cast things, but also hardest to handle everyone loving up all the time, yeah. Succor was buffed to 375 potency, sure, but the extra 75 potency is entirely in the shield, so if you're trying to get people healed up between big hits it's still only useful like twice per 20s unless there's many small hits like titan's stomps.

I generally deal with such situations by choosing people that seems like they're the worst and letting them die while spamming 1 lustrate on every other person when indom is on cooldown and another big hit is up soon. It's not ideal, but I've survived through enough 24 mans and non-savage poo poo this way to prevent wipes. :shrug:

Yeah sch is very good at solving a one-off problem, but once you burn all your stacks off it’s just like “uhh...nobody get hurt for a while, thanks”

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So I'm super burnt the gently caress out on PotD, and kind of want to start working on my DRK. Are the Command Missions decent XP all the way to 60 or am I still condemned to do the 50-60 grind in there?

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

A DRK gets instant queues in every dungeon :confused:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bolow posted:

So I'm super burnt the gently caress out on PotD, and kind of want to start working on my DRK. Are the Command Missions decent XP all the way to 60 or am I still condemned to do the 50-60 grind in there?

Do regular dungeons. A tank is going to get instant queue

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Truga posted:

I agree with this but also have to remind myself dissipate does give a healing buff and can be stacked with largeese so provided you have ET up you can aoe sledge too if the dissipate stacks don't save everyone. But if something happens again inside of a minute you are probably in a no win situation, yeah. This is the one time WHM really shines to me because they cannot hit that kind of situation short of player skill.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Stop being friends with whoever told you to do PotD immediately.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Bleu posted:

This is literally, verbatim, our strategy and i have my memefists to prove it.

I want to see this.

Edit: for the record, I'm not saying you should save the LB for DPS. I'm just not convinced it's easier to get the healer to solo than it would be to just learn it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Bolow posted:

Do LDR. I've been leveling PLD that way since level 16. You even get extra money and seals for it. :O

E: oh poo poo I just realized now I can queue for TDRs and 56DR with my PLD (I need to get my new WT, too)

Phone fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 20, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Bolow posted:

You should be tanking real poo poo. Alliance Roulette + LLDR + beast tribes/hunt maps ≈ 1 whole level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Alliance roulette gives you as much XP as LDR now, also