Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah definitely don’t do this. Just fill it with gas to the brim. Rubbing alcohol is mostly water. Best case scenario your bike will run like crap until the alcohol/water gets out of there

Yeah nah I'm not putting alcohol in my tank. I've had no problems just topping off the tank, even left a bike out all winter under a cover with no problems. I've had way too much varied, unsolicited advice on how people "pickle" their bikes for winter to give any specific method merit. Top the tank, maybe some additive if it's going to be prolonged super-cold (it isn't).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

robotsinmyhead posted:

Yeah nah I'm not putting alcohol in my tank. I've had no problems just topping off the tank, even left a bike out all winter under a cover with no problems. I've had way too much varied, unsolicited advice on how people "pickle" their bikes for winter to give any specific method merit. Top the tank, maybe some additive if it's going to be prolonged super-cold (it isn't).

CocaCola removes rust so fill your tank completely with it when winterizing. If you have a carbed bike, fill the carbs with it as well as all of the fuel lines. Best just to turn the engine over a bunch to suck it through the system.

Sagebrush posted:

Okay, well, lots of people beat me to it but yeah, it's as simple as you had laid out. My Hawk's original dash had a funny situation going on where the dashboard turn signal indicator was grounded (when flashing) through the opposite-side signal lamp so it was a little more complicated.

I made you this full-color diagram though so you can be absolutely sure of where the diode goes!

If you want to be totally sure that your diode is fine, use a multimeter to measure the current through the lamp assembly when the DRL is on and multiply that by 12 to get an approximation of how many watts it needs to handle. Forward voltage doesn't really matter as long as it's less than a volt.

Yep, they're the same on my '71 CL350 as well.

e: I like to think of the diode symbol as having an arrow and a wall. The arrow points in the direction current can flow. If current comes into the diode and hits the wall first, it's blocked. The white line on the diode corresponds to the wall in the symbol.

Thanks for the extra info and that image, anyway! I really appreciate all the extra instruction I can get. And that color coded image is way better than mine and will help with install.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

If you look closely at their picture, the diodes say "1n5401" on them. That's the same diode. Go for it.

:getin:

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Coydog posted:

CocaCola removes rust so fill your tank completely with it when winterizing. If you have a carbed bike, fill the carbs with it as well as all of the fuel lines. Best just to turn the engine over a bunch to suck it through the system.

This doesn't make any sense. My bike is fuel injected, please advise.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

robotsinmyhead posted:

Coca-Cola is carbonated. You need an injectionated cola.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

robotsinmyhead posted:

Fuel injection injects fuel with electricity, so fill the battery cells with Coca Cola.

e: If the battery doesn't have open cells, you can convert Coke to electricity by hooking the battery up to a charger and pouring Coke into the fusebox.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Guys Coydog lives in Atlanta and has obviously been brainwashed by the Coca Cola mafia there. You use Doctor Pepper to winterize motorcycles.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

robotsinmyhead posted:

Dagen H posted:

Coca-Cola is carbonated. You need an injectionated cola.

I loving lost it. Thanks guys.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

wtf are you guys talking about? Coca Cola also causes WEIGHT GAIN which is why so many American bikes are overweight #SodaTax

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Anyone know any causes for a noisy chain? Alignment is correct and its well cleaned and lubed. Its at a good tightness as well but it could be adjusted a few mm. Its a 2017 FZ-09 and there is only about 800 miles on the chain.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Anyone know any causes for a noisy chain? Alignment is correct and its well cleaned and lubed. Its at a good tightness as well but it could be adjusted a few mm. Its a 2017 FZ-09 and there is only about 800 miles on the chain.

Stuck grit, binding links, wearing sprockets, rubbing on something. Or maybe it's just noisy. Did it change recently?

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
What do you dudes recommend for new tires for my l'il CB300F?

The PO squared the f out of the current set, they look like lego tires, so I'm thinking of grabbing a new set to have ready for next spring.

I mainly ride for a short commute to work & hit the back roads on the weekends, in 99.9% dry weather, and nothing hardcore fast so I'm not dragging a knee on every corner or doing burnouts in the KFC parking lot.

I kind of narrowed it down to:

Pirelli Diablo Rossi II - look like they'd suit my dry riding & be nice and sticky (also I think they're the cooler looking of the two fwiw)
https://fortnine.ca/en/pirelli-diablo-rosso-ii-rear-tire

-or-

Michelin Pilot Street - from what I understand they're pretty long-wearing, so easier on the wallet over time
https://fortnine.ca/en/michelin-pilot-street-radial-rear-tire

What do you think? Good? Bad? Something else I should be looking at?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The pirellis look and behave exactly like big boy tyres but they last like 5000km. Pilot streets are mediocre commuter rubber that last about four times as long.

What made you decide it's noisy?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I have no experience with the pilot street. Almost everyone here will suggest a pilot road 4, but I am not sure it’s available in the correct size for your bike.

Rosso II was a great tire for me, just short lived. It did square off pretty bad after 2k miles. I got about 3700 total, you might get more on a lighter bike. I would probably go this route but I don’t mind changing them more often.

alr
May 14, 2009
Dunlop GPR 300's are good, more than enough grip for the type of riding you're doing. Friend has a set on his Ninja and I liked them enough I'm buying a set this coming holidays for my R3, same tyre sizes as your CBR. Don't buy dedicated sport tyres like the Rosso II's if you're spending a lot of time on the freeway imo, especially if you're not hitting the track or ~carving canyons~ or whatever. Are the current tyres the stock ones it came with? Pretty much any new tyre is going to blow your mind

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

My 17 and my friend's 15 both have pretty noisy chains. I dunno if the bike or what. We did by-the-book adjustments and cleaning to them both.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

dumb. posted:

What do you dudes recommend for new tires for my l'il CB300F?

The PO squared the f out of the current set, they look like lego tires, so I'm thinking of grabbing a new set to have ready for next spring.

I mainly ride for a short commute to work & hit the back roads on the weekends, in 99.9% dry weather, and nothing hardcore fast so I'm not dragging a knee on every corner or doing burnouts in the KFC parking lot.

I kind of narrowed it down to:

Pirelli Diablo Rossi II - look like they'd suit my dry riding & be nice and sticky (also I think they're the cooler looking of the two fwiw)
https://fortnine.ca/en/pirelli-diablo-rosso-ii-rear-tire

-or-

Michelin Pilot Street - from what I understand they're pretty long-wearing, so easier on the wallet over time
https://fortnine.ca/en/michelin-pilot-street-radial-rear-tire

What do you think? Good? Bad? Something else I should be looking at?

I am pretty diehard for michelin in my cars and bikes, where I can get them. The PR3 are magic.

The Pilot Street were just awful on my WR250x, and I'll never in my life own another set. They introduced speed wobble at 80 (other tires didn't on that bike), and were just mediocre all around.

The pirelli sport demons I had on the EX250 are some of the best tires I've ever used, and I would expect the same from some diablos.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Slavvy posted:

The pirellis look and behave exactly like big boy tyres but they last like 5000km. Pilot streets are mediocre commuter rubber that last about four times as long.

What made you decide it's noisy?

its louder than the exhaust, and driving next to a concrete divider or car is extra loud.

robotsinmyhead posted:

My 17 and my friend's 15 both have pretty noisy chains. I dunno if the bike or what. We did by-the-book adjustments and cleaning to them both.

I guess its fine then :shrug:. Just seemed weird.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Are you sure its not the cam chain? The fz09 is pretty notable for having a poo poo tensioner and the chain gets loud as gently caress sometimes. I had to mod mine when I had it so it would say tensioned properly.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Im pretty sure Its not the CCT. Its coming from the left side and definitley sounds like something with the drive train. It almost sounds like dry metal on metal. I’ve lubed it a bunch and taken off the shaft sprocket cover and cleaned any gunk in there. I got my swingarm spools in the mail today so tomorrow I’m going to put it on the stands and do some more looky loo’ing when the suns out.

Edit: it sounds sorta like a leg press machine if anyone goes to the gym.

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 20, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If in doubt, post a vid of you spinning the wheel on the stand. Sounds pretty abnormal but it might just be in your head. The type of bike shouldn't really have anything to do with it, a chain is a chain. Maybe look under your front sprocket cover in case there's a stone or something lodged in there.

I can't read.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I guess its fine then :shrug:. Just seemed weird.

If it didn't suddenly change, it's fine. I obsess and pester this forum a lot about electric bikes (please stay with me), but one of the things I noticed while riding the Zero back to back with a gas bike, (the Zero has a fanbelt-like carbon thing instead of a chain) was the huge chain noise at lower revs or close to something that reflected sound like a highway divider. "Sizzling bacon" is a typical descrption of a fine chain, I believe courtesy of Z3n, but the Zero only had an electric swoosh and what I would describe as the sound of silk tugging at gold, which is what carbon fanbelts sound like when you twist the electric wrist.

Sorry about the electropreaching there, your , if it didn't suddenly change, is probably fine.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That was my biggest takeaway from the Zero as well. When you get rid of the engine noise, and you no longer hear the exhaust rumbling and the valves clacking and the gears whining (all of which are cool in their own way), you suddenly notice every other sound that a motorcycle makes. You can hear the tires crunching and squirming as you go around even a mild corner. You hear the suspension making faint squeaking noises as it compresses. The brakes make this fpfpfpfpfpfpfpfpfp sound whenever they're engaged. The belt makes a sort of thrumming noise. The motor and motor controller themselves make a musical warble that's especially obvious right at minimum RPM.

Super cool.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah when I rode the Zero I was like "silk tugging at gold...mmm" those were my literal thoughts.

Also it had some stomach-tugging acceleration while being as silent as a Harley (being polished in the driveway)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

The motor and motor controller themselves make a musical warble that's especially obvious right at minimum RPM.

Super cool.

I love hearing this noise on buses and trains. It just feels right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7IiJ6wvIxg&t=8s

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

This is slightly off-topic, but has anyone ridden the NYC subway system? The newer subway cars sound like they have 3 distinct gears. I don't know what that would be called with an electric motor. Phases?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Electric motors can have gearboxes too.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It could also be different circuits/brushes/whatever being connected as it accelerates. I don't remember if it was in Berlin or Paris, but some metro system sounds like it has about 50 gears, all making a longer and longer ascending note as it accelerates and vice versa. The subway in Oslo also has a certain musicality to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxMSPQy8be8

Youtube sure has a lot of train videos.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slide Hammer posted:

This is slightly off-topic, but has anyone ridden the NYC subway system? The newer subway cars sound like they have 3 distinct gears. I don't know what that would be called with an electric motor. Phases?

What do you mean newer cars? :iiam:

smidge112
Dec 11, 2013
Not sure if this is the right place to post this let me know if not.

Im looking at buying my first bike and have my eye on a certain few. I was wondering if anyone here can run a VIN check?
I did not see a VIN check thread

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
VIN check... a motorcycle? :raise:

Serious post because you are new and genuine. Used bikes don't work like cars in that regard. It's more of a binary title status that tells you to run from a bike (salvage/rebuilt is a NO), as well as a ton of nuances. I recommend you get a divining rod and let it steer you away from the wrong bike.

You can do any number of horrible things to a bike and sell it to the next guy with some confidential fixes, so the vin never gets pinged for anything. Joe rando motorcycle tech isn't updating the vin when he has to rebuild the engine, either.

Best bet is to post your chosen bieks in here or the "lets invest in motorcyles" thread, and let us use our keen and lazy eyes to tell you what to watch for. It's an art.

Of course now someone is going to come in and school me on motorcycle vin lookups or something because of course.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The only reasons to check a VIN on a motorcycle are

1) you suspect it's stolen (probably would walk away)
2) if the seller says it's not a salvage title but you don't trust them (would also walk away)

You can't really do stuff like you can with cars, where you straighten the frame and repaint it and hide the evidence of a collision or whatever. On a bike either the parts are hosed up or they aren't, and you can see everything sitting out in front of you. It's true that an engine might be a bomb waiting to go off but the title search doesn't tell you anything about that. You inspect everything you can see, make your best judgment about the engine, and decide whether to buy it on those measures.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Usually your judgement about the owner is far more important than the bike itself.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

If it didn't suddenly change, it's fine. I obsess and pester this forum a lot about electric bikes (please stay with me), but one of the things I noticed while riding the Zero back to back with a gas bike, (the Zero has a fanbelt-like carbon thing instead of a chain) was the huge chain noise at lower revs or close to something that reflected sound like a highway divider. "Sizzling bacon" is a typical descrption of a fine chain, I believe courtesy of Z3n, but the Zero only had an electric swoosh and what I would describe as the sound of silk tugging at gold, which is what carbon fanbelts sound like when you twist the electric wrist.

Sorry about the electropreaching there, your , if it didn't suddenly change, is probably fine.

The wet slorch of a freshly lubed chain on an electric bike is a majestic thing to hear.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

wet slorch

Mmmmoooodddsssss

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ladies love that talk.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Fauxtool posted:

Ladies love that talk.

MOIST

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the sound of a wet leather jacket hitting the floor or a boot being pulled from mud. MMM sexy

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

RE: Noisy chain. I did some more googlin and found a youtube dude that recommended the chain a little looser than the manual stated. I went out and did the weekly lubin and gave the chain a few more cm slack than the manual calls for. All chain noise gone :v:.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah definitely don’t do this. Just fill it with gas to the brim. Rubbing alcohol is mostly water. Best case scenario your bike will run like crap until the alcohol/water gets out of there

You must have some loving weird chemists in your country because every bottle of isopropanol i've ever bought has been as the azeotrope (around 87% alcohol by weight) because it's literally useless* at any other concentration. Besides, the entire point of the isopropyl is that it allows the water to disperse back into the fuel, both by direct action and indirectly by boosting the action of the detergents already in the fuel. One of the main differences between summer and winter-blend fuels (in areas that don't regularly get way below freezing) is the amount of isopropanol, for exactly that reason.

* okay not literally, it can work as a weak solvent and a couple of other things, but any use to which you'd want to put it (instead of other things better suited to the job) you want the concentration as high as you can practically get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You must have some loving weird chemists in your country because every bottle of isopropanol i've ever bought has been as the azeotrope (around 87% alcohol by weight) because it's literally useless* at any other concentration. Besides, the entire point of the isopropyl is that it allows the water to disperse back into the fuel, both by direct action and indirectly by boosting the action of the detergents already in the fuel. One of the main differences between summer and winter-blend fuels (in areas that don't regularly get way below freezing) is the amount of isopropanol, for exactly that reason.

* okay not literally, it can work as a weak solvent and a couple of other things, but any use to which you'd want to put it (instead of other things better suited to the job) you want the concentration as high as you can practically get it.

Rubbing alcohol here is typically ethanol-based with MEK and bitterant added to make it lethally undrinkable. The other common alcohol is denatured, which is also mostly ethanol, with methanol added.

"Pure" isopropyl is a thing, but is bought by that name.

Most places that have bulk chemicals like that don't have anything with a useful name. "Brush Cleaner," "Glass Cleaner," "Japan Dryer," etc. Chemical product naming and labelling is a mess in the US.