Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Anyway to cheese/power through any of the conquests? 2 minute rift seems almost impossible even when I'm killing most things with one hit (and I'm using those bracers that spawn elites at pylons).

I've completed GR 75.

You can do the 2min rift or boss mode in a group, which makes it much easier. You can also google a bunch of guides on how to easily get Avarice in just a few minutes if you know the right places to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
My HC necro accidentally got avarice on a particularly dense T12 rift floor. I was using boon of hoarder + goldwrap because I'm a coward.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
Ok, I think this is gonna be my last run of the season. I beat a GR 103 solo and got rank 306 on the Necro leaderboard. It was my first GR of the night but I lucked out and it was pretty amazing, got good density, melee mobs and 4 pylons in almost exactly the right places.

A few pages ago I guesstimated I could top out at ~GR 105, and with some perfect rifts I think I could, but the GR fishing is moving from reasonable to mildly unpleasant, so this is a reasonable stopping point. Nobody should feel bad about not being able to push past GR 100 with Rathma's, Trag'Oul is stronger and even with augments it took me a few days to beat a GR 101. The leaderboarder Rathma's that finished GR 100+ have insanely good gear, much better than mine, better augments, and hundreds more Paragon. If they didn't bot, then that probably took about 3X as much time as I spent playing this season to get. Overall I got satisfactorily past GR 100, a leaderboard spot, all while keeping the grind down. If I'd tried to get gear as good them, the added grind wouldn't have been worth it. Maybe I'll make a WD or a Crusader next season, if I decide to play.

edit: In a couple days I'll push the Nonseason leaderboard, can probably pull off a GR 105 with the extra paragon.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 20, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any tips for the 5 minute XIII Rift run? I've been pretty close, but a lot of my times are over a minute too long (as inaccurate as my readings probably are). I think I need a bit more than a lucky Rift roll.

I've testing just how many defensive abilities I can do without

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/jabu-11464/hero/94722520

(this actually doesn't seem to be updated. Side-cannons in place of Seethe, and I went back to Awareness instead of Steady Aim).

e:didn't think to max out dexterity with gems, yet

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rinkles posted:

Any tips for the 5 minute XIII Rift run? I've been pretty close, but a lot of my times are over a minute too long (as inaccurate as my readings probably are). I think I need a bit more than a lucky Rift roll.

I've testing just how many defensive abilities I can do without

(this actually doesn't seem to be updated. Side-cannons in place of Seethe, and I went back to Awareness instead of Steady Aim).

e:didn't think to max out dexterity with gems, yet

Beating a rift in a short time is a lot easier when you are in a group game.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Anyway to cheese/power through any of the conquests? 2 minute rift seems almost impossible even when I'm killing most things with one hit (and I'm using those bracers that spawn elites at pylons).

I've completed GR 75.

Do Bossmode. Shadow DH is a monster at that conquest as you're entirely built for speed and single target elimination by default. Swap Cull the Weak for Tactical Advantage and airball dagger throws to speed demon around maps. It's easiest in a group, but I had zero trouble doing it solo as a Shadow DH.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'll give it a go tomorrow, thanks. (unless the October 20th deadline meant today not tomorrow was the last day)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 20, 2017

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I'll give it a go tomorrow, thanks. (unless the October 20th deadline meant today not tomorrow was the last day)
Season ends at 5pm PDT.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Metal Meltdown posted:

Do Bossmode. Shadow DH is a monster at that conquest as you're entirely built for speed and single target elimination by default. Swap Cull the Weak for Tactical Advantage and airball dagger throws to speed demon around maps. It's easiest in a group, but I had zero trouble doing it solo as a Shadow DH.

Tried twice, the second time had it down to 22 or 23 minutes. Taking a wrong turn in levels is my issue (Aranae's is the worst).

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Aranae is a pain until you realize it actually has a relatively static lay out. Here's a link with the maps.

https://www.diablowiki.net/Caverns_of_Araneae_map

You make a quick check to see if you got the north facing bridge, and if so then immediately swing West and keep going. Otherwise it's South and West. You're looking for the long straight section followed by the long curved one. Once past those, Aranae is always North. I find Urzael to be the biggest pain, but his map might also have a layout pattern that I'm simply not familiar with.

Unless they changed it, also make sure you're only on torment 10. You don't need to be on 13 for it to count for bossmode.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Adria is worse than Urzael. Consider remaking the game until Adria is a bounty so you get the pity arrow if it takes you more than 1 minute to find her.

Start with the hardest bosses to find (Urzael, Adria, spider queen). If you felt it was too slow, remake.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This conquest is approximately a billion percent easier with goons, if you still want help tonight I have like 5 different speed builds on this season I can help you with

Just paying it forward, I got my full season journey just knocking out conquests with goons.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Not sure if I'll have time, but thanks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anything in here look worth augmenting?

I take it missing gems eventually drop in GRs again?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah once you've used a gem for an Augment/in a different character's inventory not your main stash etc. then you'll get another copy of it drop off the next guardian (assuming you've already got the whole set).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wooo!

:goshawk:

Boss mode only took two more tries, with over 2 minutes to spare.

I banged my head against the 5 minute T13 solo muuuuuch too long (I think I was within 10 seconds once). Got it on the first go with an auto-join pub group, after I asked if I could close the rift early (but we were lucky with the map).

Also, I now know my next class. The Wizard's lightshow is bonkers.

also

I guess I'll take it?

also

This is just bad luck, right? (the augmentation)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rinkles posted:

also

No, you used int gems instead of dex gems.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rinkles posted:

You had to use emeralds lol

mewse
May 2, 2006

I seriously think it's a rite of passage to completely gently caress up your first augment

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Haha

e:Can I redo it?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yes you can crush another legendary gem and re-do the aug

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Pro tip: to quickly equip a secondary 1-handed weapon, press ALT as you're right-clicking it (instead of dragging it into the secondary slot). I was wasting too much time futzing with switching between Karlei's Point+HPS and Danneta's set of crossbows until I figured there had to be a better way.

mewse posted:

Yes you can crush another legendary gem and re-do the aug
Cool.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I've never hosed up a gem augment because I read the loving manual.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Star Man posted:

I've never hosed up a gem augment because I read the loving manual.

A whole buncha this stuff should be better explained in-game. I don't want to be constantly alt-tabbing to chrome to understand how stuff works.

Are you saying there is a manual?

e:I put in Topaz because it was the least useful gem for my character. Probably what a lot of people did first try.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Doesn't it say in the cube recipe? Or does it just show all 4 gems with no more info.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ort posted:

Doesn't it say in the cube recipe? Or does it just show all 4 gems with no more info.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The recipe notes in-game don't tell you what the gem augment even does or which gems to use. Blizzard's website has the information that you need about how the cube recipes work: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/items/kanais-cube

But they really should include that information in the recipe tab. I think it's supposed to be implied that the gem type will add its main stat bonus, but if I've learned anything about game design, it's that you should assume that your audience are the dumbest loving people on earth and need everything spelled out to them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Star Man posted:

The recipe notes in-game don't tell you what the gem augment even does or which gems to use. Blizzard's website has the information that you need about how the cube recipes work: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/items/kanais-cube

But they really should include that information in the recipe tab. I think it's supposed to be implied that the gem type will add its main stat bonus, but if I've learned anything about game design, it's that you should assume that your audience are the dumbest loving people on earth and need everything spelled out to them.

What is it with you and "dumbest loving people"? Same thing in the mtg thread.

I gave a reasonable explanation for going with Topaz. It had the least value for me. As presented, the gems look like they're part of the recipe to make it more expensive, not necessarily to influence the outcome.

Also blizzard's website has been down or slow to load a number of times over my playtime. I stopped checking it after a while.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Rinkles posted:

I gave a reasonable explanation for going with Topaz. It had the least value for me. As presented, the gems look like they're part of the recipe to make it more expensive, not necessarily to influence the outcome.

Also blizzard's website has been down or slow to load a number of times over my playtime. I stopped checking it after a while.

Gamers only feel good about themselves when they lord over someone who isn't as good as they are at video games. You kinda get used to it after a while.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Rinkles posted:

That is pretty much Starmans whole posting gimmick. Also why he rage-quit being a d3 thread OP a while back.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Hobold posted:

That is pretty much Starmans whole posting gimmick. Also why he rage-quit being a d3 thread OP a while back.

p. much. I rewrote a bunch of information from another website and no one could be assed to read any of it, though many people that read the thread did send me messages of support afterward.

Rinkles's reason for using topazes to augment his item for his dexterity character makes sense. The recipe tab's description provides no information on what the augment does. I think the gem options listed in the ingredients section is supposed to imply that you'll get the effect of the type of gem you use, but there's absolutely no way to know until you do it. They may have also assumed that the profile of someone using the gem augment recipe is a player that is an advanced player and is deeply familiar with the mechanics of the game and where to find information for any questions that they have. I can only imagine how many people unaware of the recipe's effects have salvaged really good items because they added intelligence to an item made for demon hunters. Blizzard's page on Kanai's Cube does not mention that you can redo the augment with another one, so I'm sure that people know what to do to get the right augment have also probably thrown away good items thinking that the augment could not be changed.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
So what are you guys playing while we wait for the next season?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lorini posted:

Emulated WoW TBC on warmane medivh realm

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame

Lorini posted:

Darkest Dungeon. Flagellants are amazing.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Star Man posted:

p. much. I rewrote a bunch of information from another website and no one could be assed to read any of it, though many people that read the thread did send me messages of support afterward.

Rinkles's reason for using topazes to augment his item for his dexterity character makes sense. The recipe tab's description provides no information on what the augment does. I think the gem options listed in the ingredients section is supposed to imply that you'll get the effect of the type of gem you use, but there's absolutely no way to know until you do it. They may have also assumed that the profile of someone using the gem augment recipe is a player that is an advanced player and is deeply familiar with the mechanics of the game and where to find information for any questions that they have. I can only imagine how many people unaware of the recipe's effects have salvaged really good items because they added intelligence to an item made for demon hunters. Blizzard's page on Kanai's Cube does not mention that you can redo the augment with another one, so I'm sure that people know what to do to get the right augment have also probably thrown away good items thinking that the augment could not be changed.

I know, and I agree with you and what you did. Not trying to poo poo on you, just point out its kinda your thing.

Yes the cube recipe pages really need work. I didn't really get a handle on what all of that poo poo did until my second season using it.

Bliz, I'm sure assumes people will associate the gems mainstat with the aug it will provide. Unfortunately, for a good many people, that is a real stretch of an assumption.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Thanks everyone for the necro tips, managed to smash out everything in the journey except my 3rd conquest and lvl 70 gems. Not bad for a week at 70 I think, I can see why they want to get some other sets more on par with necros.

Hobold posted:

Bliz, I'm sure assumes people will associate the gems mainstat with the aug it will provide. Unfortunately, for a good many people, that is a real stretch of an assumption.

An extra 130% crit damage on my weapon? I'll take it!

I'm looking for some s12 recommendations, Necro seemed very strong but also pretty squishy above GR70 and very reliant on either density or elites for resources. Are there any particular builds that can get right in the thick of things and have relatively consistent resource generation? I guess something like gen monk, but maybe different, because I always play gen monk.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

hampig posted:

An extra 130% crit damage on my weapon? I'll take it!

You might jest, but I'm sure someone actually thought that.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
Yeah and I agree that it'd be a totally rational assumption. Generally they're pretty good with these things, but it does seem like an oversight, this is a basic "what does this recipe do?", not some arcane game mechanic like animation breakpoints.

I was also recently stumped by Caldesann's Despair since I couldn't figure out why the recipe just didn't seem to work, it wasn't until I leveled my 5th gem to 50 that I realised it's because you can't use boon of the hoarder in the recipe.

The other cube recipe thing that I wish I didn't have to learn the hard way was that reforged ancient items re-roll as normal. Prima facie there's no reason to think it'd work that way.

hampig fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 21, 2017

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You can use boon to augment, I did last season. You were probably trying to augment something that wasn't ancient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
Definitely an ancient. Can you not augment some slots maybe? I figured since I could select the belt to put it in the cube it'd be legal.