Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

Agree to disagree.

No, you don't get to play that card. You are in the wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

yronic heroism posted:

Agree to disagree.

No because agreeing with you is a mortal sin

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

yronic heroism posted:

Agree to disagree.

Shut up you fuckin mook.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

please dont try to censor yronic, here in this thread specifically created for him by the wise mods

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Honest question - what do you mean by "Russian troll"? There are some things I don't like about NFS's posting, but I have no idea what you're referring to here. Are you implying he's actually Russian and trying to spread propaganda or something?

I have no idea, but answer me this: What has NFS ever posted that is distinguishable from a Russian troll account shaping US politics by keeping the non-Trumpist party in disarray? I can't remember anything. poo poo, they even have an October 2016 regdate.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

yronic heroism posted:

I have no idea, but answer me this: What has NFS ever posted that is distinguishable from a Russian troll account shaping US politics by keeping the non-Trumpist party in disarray? I can't remember anything. poo poo, they even have an October 2016 regdate.

:thunk: :thunk: :thunk:

You sound more like a random word generator than he does. NFS is just kind of a dick to people.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

I have no idea,

Then it was a pretty stupid accusation for you to lob at someone.

quote:

but answer me this: What has NFS ever posted that is distinguishable from a Russian troll account shaping US politics by keeping the non-Trumpist party in disarray?

Proposed constructive solutions and paths forward for the Democrats. Some of them I agree with, and some of them I don't, but he's making those arguments in good faith.

You, on the other hand, are the one who seems dead-set on trolling to keep the non-Trumpist party in disarray.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Majorian posted:

Proposed constructive solutions and paths forward for the Democrats. Some of them I agree with, and some of them I don't, but he's making those arguments in good faith.

Where?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Majorian posted:

Then it was a pretty stupid accusation for you to lob at someone.

I did say Russia troll or functionally identical.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Yronic you make dead reckoning look reasonable and sane. Just log off for the weekend and cool down.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I agree logging off is a good idea actually

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Remember the post you responded to "but who says I don't care about things?" right before you went on to make a series of transphobic posts in order to "show condiv".

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The idea that there's some kind of omnipresent Russian troll presece on the net and the consequent accusations toward random people for being part of it is easily in the running for the dumbest brokebrains poo poo that's come out of the Trump era.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Not sure how I feel about jefferclay probation but I will say this: if gender dysphoria somehow irrationally forces people to be brave and cool like chelsea manning I hope the entire world becomes trans. They are clearly of a better breed

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Cerebral Bore posted:

The idea that there's some kind of omnipresent Russian troll presece on the net and the consequent accusations toward random people for being part of it is easily in the running for the dumbest brokebrains poo poo that's come out of the Trump era.

It's the liberal version of seeing George Soros' (((machinations))) behind every bad thing that happens to a conservative.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Condiv sees himself as somewhere between a minimod and D&D's general will. Him whining and trying to police people isn't something you should take seriously.

People say I'm a conspiracy nut when I talk about widespread sexual abuse in Hollywood but seeing Russian plants everywhere, including on this dead gay comedy forum? Well, that's just good sense.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

Condiv sees himself as somewhere between a minimod and D&D's general will. Him whining and trying to police people isn't something you should take seriously.

People say I'm a conspiracy nut when I talk about widespread sexual abuse in Hollywood but seeing Russian plants everywhere, including on this dead gay comedy forum? Well, that's just good sense.

Are you sure you mean Condiv and not...someone else?:confused:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

NewForumSoftware posted:

transphobic warmongering racist

good username

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Better band name.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

I am the will of D&D incarnate. Behold my posts and despair!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Majorian posted:

Are you sure you mean Condiv and not...someone else?:confused:

I'm 99% sure he meant Calibanimal

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Hell I'll cope to that I do report people constantly

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Condiv posted:

I am the will of D&D incarnate. Behold my posts and despair!

Condiv -- not getting the concept of general will.

Checks out.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Shbobdb posted:

Condiv -- not getting the concept of general will.

Checks out.

tbh, i don't think anyone really got what your post is trying to say

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Condiv posted:

Condiv: ignorant of the radical tradition.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

There wasn't a Facebook meme about it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Condiv posted:

He's trying to be gimmicky, and not doing a very good job of it.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Condiv posted:

Condiv you traitor you lack the Zeitgeist of the American People

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Now that Rocky Horror is officially anti-Trans does the DNC still have to care about trans-issues?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

yronic heroism posted:

gently caress off Russia troll.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:toot:

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

30 day probations are like felony convictions, the recidivism rates are sky high

get off this train while you can yronic, we dont want you to be the next effectronica

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Give it time. I'm a product of modding.

The system works.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Another nice interview with Thomas Frank on the Democratic party, the rise of the populist right and the failings of "Centrist" politics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL9E9spqUVk

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 23, 2017

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Shbobdb posted:

Now that Rocky Horror is officially anti-Trans does the DNC still have to care about trans-issues?

That's a year and a half ago, unless there's something else that happened?

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

I expect they will put some work into getting us shot at again, but ENDA will remain on the backburner.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

yronic heroism posted:

Also nice unironic Trump quote. Way to disprove horseshoe theory.

one of the rhetorical go-tos for a liberal is lazily reaching for gotchas like this. I think the thought process behind it is, if the person im arguing with says something that is classified as shameful, and i announce it to everyone, then everyone around me will see it and i'll win the argument by default by shaming the other person out of the room. (I think they do this to make up for the flimsiness of their ideology)

The problem with this is that it's increasingly irrelevent. It works with fellow libs and used to work occasionally to get some conservatives to at least somewhat mask their vitriol. But the people's economic standings are increasingly tenuous and racial animus is high. Arguments based on shaming dont work when the people youre arguing with cant afford to feel or are incapable of feeling shame due to desperation driven from dire circumstances or insanity.

Libersls' rhetorical tactics seem to just bounce off many leftists, just as they do with the alt right or tea party. Maybe their frustration from their increasing impotence with both the left and right is what drives their "horseshoe theory."

E: if youre a liberal reading this post, it can be a real help to you. Mainly in getting across that you should try new rhetorical tactics for defending your ideology because saying "donald trump shame on u!!" a bunch didnt work for 2016 and it hasnt gotten any more effective since.

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 23, 2017

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rocky horror is anti trans? 😯

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Mr Hootington posted:

Rocky horror is anti trans? 😯

This is what I could find on the topic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ty-are-pleased/

I am not sure what to take from the story. Can someone more in the know expand on what is going on here.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I am not sure what to take from the story. Can someone more in the know expand on what is going on here.

some folks think having a trans woman play frank-n-furter could further the common misconception conflating transvestism with transgender identity that's often used by conservatives to demonize trans people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Muppets On PCP posted:

some folks think having a trans woman play frank-n-furter could further the common misconception conflating transvestism with transgender identity that's often used by conservatives to demonize trans people

It's a fair point to bring up, but I think one thing people need to keep in mind is how much of a self-selecting group a Rocky Horror audience is going to be.

e:

Kokoro Wish posted:

Another nice interview with Thomas Frank on the Democratic party, the rise of the populist right and the failings of "Centrist" politics:

Really good interview btw.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 23, 2017

• Locked thread