Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

That Old Tree posted:

Some dude who was part of Empyrea made a blog post about how he had loved Frank, but he wouldn't be around for a relaunch or any further endeavor because of the sexual harassment. So good for him!

Do you have a link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

This is the only Empyrea kickstarter I'm looking forward to: https://www.level99games.com/empyreal-spells-steam

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Falstaff posted:

Do you have a link?

It's in the TG Industry thread

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
How much impact does a video have on a Kickstarter for a roleplaying book? I'm planning to do a Kickstarter for the first expansion to GAG, but I feel weird recording my voice over slow pans of a PDF. Like, it's a book. I don't... have much to show. Except words. A lot of words. I'm sure I can tell a mean tale about why I'm making the book while I do dynamic wipes with those words, but does that actually help?

The Kickstarter website says videos increase your chance of funding, but the Kickstarter website says a lot of things.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lunatic Sledge posted:

How much impact does a video have on a Kickstarter for a roleplaying book? I'm planning to do a Kickstarter for the first expansion to GAG, but I feel weird recording my voice over slow pans of a PDF. Like, it's a book. I don't... have much to show. Except words. A lot of words. I'm sure I can tell a mean tale about why I'm making the book while I do dynamic wipes with those words, but does that actually help?

The Kickstarter website says videos increase your chance of funding, but the Kickstarter website says a lot of things.

Honestly I never watch Kickstarter videos. Maybe I'm a weird outlier and it's actually a super crucial and integral part of the process but I have never once cared enough to listen to some dude talk into a camera about their upcoming tradgame project, sorry.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

Honestly I never watch Kickstarter videos. Maybe I'm a weird outlier and it's actually a super crucial and integral part of the process but I have never once cared enough to listen to some dude talk into a camera about their upcoming tradgame project, sorry.

I'm in the same boat.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'll watch them, and I try to be forgiving, but unless you spring for a really good setup and go to a lot more trouble than it's probably worth, most of what I get out of it is "this person is not a public speaker, and they should at least stop speaking directly into the mic and blowing out their sound." Sometimes it can be still be delivered well and be goofily charming. (Chris Spivey with Harlem Unbound having his kid in the video was very cute.) For the most part, though, it's not something I care about.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I have never watched a Kickstarter video.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
I did that low effort 'narration over panning shots of art' for my most recent kickstarter and the video got 7000 views, 21% to completion. Who knows how many of those went on to back, and how many of those would've backed without a video, but that's 1400 people that saw my whole sales pitch that might not have read a page of text.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I used to work on people's lovely Kickstarter videos back in college; I don't watch them anymore.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
They're important to videogame Kickstarters. Tabletop RPGs, unless you already have the skills to make an amazing one, don't bother.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Megazver posted:

They're important to videogame Kickstarters. Tabletop RPGs, unless you already have the skills to make an amazing one, don't bother.

This.

It's way more important to have a good-looking, well-written and clear project page for RPGs, and a draft of the rules people can see before committing.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just make sure if you decide to do a video you pretend to have just noticed the camera to make your rambling sales pitch see more "off the cuff". Never enough of that in these videos. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I almost never watch the videos. If it is for a video game or movie project sure, but I can just scroll down and read a description of the project with lots of pictures and clear graphics about pledge levels. If you page is garbage though, probably not interested in purchasing a PDF from you.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The only time I'd care about a video is if it included an actual-play demonstration of the pitched RPG.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I watched the pitch video for Double Fine Adventure (mostly because Tim Schafer is a funny guy) and for Wasteland 2. That's the last time I've bothered, and those were in 2012. If you can't lay out the info I want in your pitch page in text and images I can get through in 1/5th the time it'd take to present in video, I don't want to back your project.

People still do them so there must be an audience but I have no idea why.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I was about to say the only time I watched a kickstarter video was of doobie’s dog house but that didn’t even have one. The videos came afterwards. So even an Alabama hot dog man knew not to make a video for their pitch.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Broken Loose's video was so bad it killed any chance I would have backed.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

My favorite pitch video was this dude who wanted financial help to spread his new ideas about math or something. It was almost an hour long and he talked about quantum bullshit and god and giants and I think the whole thing was in front of a green screen of flying shots of plains and mountains.

Still didn't back, tho.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Oh poo poo, I think I saw that guy on Kickstarter Nonstarters. Didn't he do another one later trying to get money to produce his new, special idea - trinary, a machine language that was better than binary because there would be three.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
If you can record one, it probably won't hurt if you do a simple one. If you can't reasonably record one, either due to space, location or equipment, I wouldn't bother to spend money to make a video.

I wish there were statistics on kickstarters without videos, but there's nothing I can find without a deep google search I don't want to do at work.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Mors Rattus posted:

Oh poo poo, I think I saw that guy on Kickstarter Nonstarters. Didn't he do another one later trying to get money to produce his new, special idea - trinary, a machine language that was better than binary because there would be three.

I know the one(s) you're talking about, but his videos were only 15-20 minutes. He managed to mostly talk about just his thing. The guy I'm talking about is some crazy grandpa who cannot for the life of him stick to a single topic, unless you count "insane conspiracy theories about every little thing" a single topic.

I'm having a hard time finding it because what the gently caress do I even Google for.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

SpikeMcclane posted:

Broken Loose's video was so bad it killed any chance I would have backed.

What ever happened to that guy?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have backed kickstarters of trad games that had videos, but the only videos I cared about were of gaming sessions that demonstrated the gameplay, and that was for boardgames, not RPGs. But in those cases the videos were often very helpful. If I can get a sense of the gameplay from 10 minutes of video, that's a better use of my time than spending 2 hours perusing your beta rules. At the very least, it can tell me whether I want to bother spending those 2 hours. A gameplay video of course still needs to be well-edited: please do not try to make me watch one hour of continuous video of you and your friends playing a game, you need to cut out absolutely everything but the actual gameplay, and if there's multiple rounds of play where development is slow, cut them and just summarize what's happened.

I never watch those "intro" videos that are just the game creator/designer talking into the camera about the game.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I liked the intro video for Greg Stolze's Nain which just creative commons music over woodcut art and a little kid saying "But I don't want to go with the wizards" but you know that kind of sums up the setting so.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That Old Tree posted:

I know the one(s) you're talking about, but his videos were only 15-20 minutes. He managed to mostly talk about just his thing. The guy I'm talking about is some crazy grandpa who cannot for the life of him stick to a single topic, unless you count "insane conspiracy theories about every little thing" a single topic.

I'm having a hard time finding it because what the gently caress do I even Google for.

I'm not sure how to feel about there being multiple guys whose gimmick is 'fund my new, secret mathematics that will remake the world.'

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mors Rattus posted:

This demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of computer science. Binary works because computers operate on gates and switches, open closed, on off, two state machines. In order to have trinary you'd have to build your computers as three state machines. So there's no benefit in overthrowing most of a century of design and development since you'd have to start over from scratch.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
There's definitely some value in videos of actual gameplay or getting video reviewers to take a look at your game if it's in sufficiently finalized state. Although I only look at those if I'm on the fence. But pitch videos? nah.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

This demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of computer science. Binary works because computers operate on gates and switches, open closed, on off, two state machines. In order to have trinary you'd have to build your computers as three state machines. So there's no benefit in overthrowing most of a century of design and development since you'd have to start over from scratch.
No, it's on and off because that's how Bill Gates invented it, and people didn't want to rock the boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVhHNVguMWo

I love listening to slowbeef losing his loving mind as the pitch gets more and more insane.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

God, it's even better than I remembered, it's quadnary.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What else would you call a four-dimensional OS?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Level 99 has a game where you're some sort of time traveler trying to unmake the other time traveler by shaming them in front of time god, or something: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/temporal-odyssey-draft-the-future

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My understanding is that actually computer electronics are mostly not "on" and "off" but "low" and "high". The real issue is that having a transistor with three output voltages instead of two doesn't actually give you a bunch more options to create logic gates, plus, you now have to basically add a power level that is another step above your old "high" power level, because computers especially within CPUs are already operating at the lowest power possible to try to reduce power consumption and heat production. So you're just inventing a more complicated, hotter chip in order to gain some sort of vague "more=better" advantage because of reasons.

I may be off on some of the above because I'm remembering stuff from 20+ years ago though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

GrandpaPants posted:

Level 99 has a game where you're some sort of time traveler trying to unmake the other time traveler by shaming them in front of time god, or something: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/temporal-odyssey-draft-the-future

The only reason I'm not backing this immediately is because it was developed by another studio, but I think Brad did some work with them so I assume it's good. It's also a sequel to another game they made, but I don't know if it was any good or not. Oh and I'm still waiting for Seventh Cross and a train game set in Indines...

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I have officially commenced a Kickstarter.

(I'm also loving terrified)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Leperflesh posted:

My understanding is that actually computer electronics are mostly not "on" and "off" but "low" and "high". The real issue is that having a transistor with three output voltages instead of two doesn't actually give you a bunch more options to create logic gates, plus, you now have to basically add a power level that is another step above your old "high" power level, because computers especially within CPUs are already operating at the lowest power possible to try to reduce power consumption and heat production. So you're just inventing a more complicated, hotter chip in order to gain some sort of vague "more=better" advantage because of reasons.

I may be off on some of the above because I'm remembering stuff from 20+ years ago though.

Or in Internet Ideas Guy terms "oh come on, it's just adding one more number. How hard can it be?"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Dice Hospital looks like Theme Hospital, with very similar art. Might be good.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

GrandpaPants posted:

I got to try this out at GenCon and had fun with it, it's kind of like a traditional CCG where you summon monsters and the like, but based around a deckbuilder, so kind of like a CCG / LCG where you're building your deck as you go. I played with the designer, and it was pretty easy to pick up and play in a short period of time. I can't give it a deep review but I came out feeling pretty positive.

Also if anybody was waiting for the Level 99 Games Library kickstarter, this is kind of the stealth launch of that. Basically they decided to release some games early instead of packaging them all into one Kickstarter, but one of the pledge levels has all the games that were originally intended for that. The only others I've tried are Sellswords (it's Triple Triad, only actually fun) and I Can't Even With Monsters is a drafting game where you're trying to get even numbers and screw with opponents' ability to do so; it seemed alright but didn't make a strong impression on me.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I have officially commenced a Kickstarter.

(I'm also loving terrified)

Maybe actually pitch the KS instead of just blind linking it.

Just an idea.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Zurui posted:

Maybe actually pitch the KS instead of just blind linking it.

Just an idea.

This is fair, I didn't think to pitch the pitch in my initial panic

So, in May I put out Gratuitous Anime Gimmick. It was a culmination of years of cutting things I liked out of things I didn't and refining them, and my thoughts that games like OVA and BESM--despite marketing themselves as anime-themed roleplaying games--didn't really do anything to be "more anime" than, say, Mutants & Masterminds or any other point-buy system.

Thus, I made a game that was clean cut, avoided a lot of the pitfalls I've seen in similar game structures, and went to lengths to reinforce the anime genre (as much as you can say one exists, it's a broad topic) during gameplay instead of just naming the powers funny things. The shonen-based class can train to get temporarily better at things, damage can trigger the psychic class into a "freaked out" mode where all their abilities have added benefits, the gun-focused class can recover resources by making really insane ricochet shots, etc etc. Since I started selling the game, I've ran it like crazy, and taken a lot of feedback from both personal players and people that have bought the game. I also had a buuunch of left over ideas that didn't make it into the first book, either because I couldn't quite get a wrangle on how to balance the premise properly, or because the idea didn't fit the "feel" of GAG. GAG was modern with hints of the future, it was whimsical, it was fairly optimistic. Some of the powers I came up with definitely "felt anime" or were direct homages, but were a little too weird or dark compared to the basic stuff.

Gratuitous Anime Gimmick: Of Raised Dead & Evening Rituals (or GAG: ORDER) is me taking a bunch of suggestions, refining those unfinished ideas, and using those ideas that were sort of off kilter. I'm putting more emphasis on horror-ish or just more supernatural-focused anime, like Hellsing, Blood: The Last Vampire, Ghost Sweeper Mikami and the like. It's also dragging in a bunch of medieval fantasy European business, both because people kept asking for elves and because stuff like Vampire Hunter D tends to swing hard into that territory anyway. I'm trying hard to make it Vampires Through An Anime Filter, and not Just Vampires.

The Kickstarter is mooostly for art. Here's how the Witch looked in the GAG core rulebook:

Here's how the Witch is going to look in GAG: ORDER:

It makes a pretty big difference in the "feel" of the whole thing, and one of the few complaints I've received about the first book was that, frankly, there wasn't much art in it. I had pictures for each class, that's about all I could afford at the time. I want ORDER to be bigger and better and nicer to read.

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
GAG looks pretty cool and I think I'm interested in it. How are anime vampires differentiated from normal vampires? I've got a hankering for Jojo-style madness.